web analytics

Newcastle Making Good Progress On Transfers – 19 Year-Old Striker Now Very Close To A Deal

Newcastle thought they had done a deal for 19-year-old, 6ft 2ins Reims striker Hugo Ekitike in January, but on the final day of the window, he decided to stay at Reims, so he could get more playing time.

As it turns out he’s been injured most of the time since then, and has only just returned to playing, but Newcastle have kept in contact with Reims about the striker since January.

Hugo has scored 10 goals and has 3 assists in 26 appearances for Reims this season, and is one of the best young prospects in European football.

Website 90min have again reported today that the striker is now keen to join Eddie Howe at Newcastle this summer.

Reading between the lines, it’s likely the teenager has spoken to one of the owners – probably Amanda Staveley – and also to Eddie Howe.

The young striker is now said to be excited about joining Newcastle’s revolution evolution to greatness in the summer.

He is quoted as saying he wants to join Eddie Howe, ‘and that he appreciates the fact that Howe is a big believer in his talents’.

The deal Newcastle want to strike with Reims, is a loan with an obligation to buy, so that loosens up some cash in the coming summer transfer window it helps Newcastle with Financial Fair Play rules too.

The fee is said to be around £30M.

It now seems likely that we will indeed win the race to sign this youngster – and he will get plenty of playing time next season: Eddie Howe will also be able to bring the best out of the talented young striker in the years ahead.

Hugo Ekitike would be a tremendous acquisition for Newcastle United, and once the deal is signed, we should announce it immediately.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Monday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

May 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM

Just turned on abit of u tube… Guy called Rory Jennings ranting about the biggest sportswashing ever. Ha ha ha.

• Munster Mag

May 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM

He’s going on about how provocative it is. He says he never supported abramovic… Maybe not… But I best loved it when they got great players and a cabinet of trophies.

• DrGloom

May 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM

2nd strip doesn’t look great and I don’t like the green badge .. maybe it’ll look better with aramco and other sponsorship tags on it … although hopefully not in green

May 14, 2022 at 1:24 PM

It’s just a 3rd strip, a change kit. Castore know the home and away kits need to easily pass muster or they’ll be gone tout suite. This kit is obviously targeted at the Saudi market, no frills, clean, conservative design. I can see how it would appeal to some Brits and foreign toon fans as well.

Suppose Castore would love to get involved in the middle east leagues.

If this top is a goer then the big man must have signed off on it.

• DrGloom

May 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM

TfB – is it not the 2nd strip and the blue and gold the 3rd strip … Read that somewhere but could be wrong – anyway, it’s pretty ugly regardless – only 2nd strip I bought was the orange one … not sure why – must of been drunk

May 14, 2022 at 1:32 PM

Gloom,

I wasn’t replying to you as I hadn’t seen your post pal, by the way!

I always thought 3rd strips were for when your away and home shirt clashed with your opponents home shirt at their place. Could be wrong though pal, not 100% on it.

May 14, 2022 at 1:34 PM

Gloom,

Maybe the away kit is the change kit as you have to change your top at their place, that sounds about right.

May 14, 2022 at 1:35 PM

Might take this opportunity for a

May 14, 2022 at 1:35 PM

wee jog down the page

May 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM

Just a trot

May 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM

Not going to kick the arse out of it

May 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM

Promise

May 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM

Getting the air fryer on

May 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM

Get the chicken wings fired right in there

May 14, 2022 at 1:38 PM

Smothered in buffalo sauce

May 14, 2022 at 1:38 PM

BOOM – probably perspire a bit

May 14, 2022 at 1:38 PM

Still eat the lot though

May 14, 2022 at 1:39 PM

Can’t mess about with such things

May 14, 2022 at 1:39 PM

It’s all in the approach

May 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM

Got to be at the right angle

• SholaShow

May 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM

As much as I want an Abraham or at least Belotti for our ST signing, I think this guy – or similar – is more likely and Wilson will start the season as the main ST still.

Will be a shame because top STs make more difference than any other player.

This kid is decent, but at his age coming from France, 9 goals in 22 league matches and a bad recent hamstring injury, I’m not convinced.

Always wary of signing players who rely a lot on pace and athleticism only to start getting hamstring injuries young.

May 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM

I could give Maxi the heads up

May 14, 2022 at 1:40 PM

Aah bollox 😆

• jane

May 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM

i could have stopped you all along but you didn’t stop me.

• SholaShow

May 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM

Just seen he’s had two red cards as well this season…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 14, 2022 at 1:50 PM

@shola

Part of me was hoping we signed him but also signed Abraham haha

He doesn’t look particularly rapid on any footage I have seen looks more like a kind of Havertz style player with a lovely touch and skills not outright pace

I still think we need proper pace from somewhere to give teams something to think about when they play a highline

May 14, 2022 at 1:51 PM

I’m enjoying this mutual respect Jane, always new you were a goodun.

I think I’m guilty of misunderstanding folk on here, as I’m sure others are too. Opinions and how they are written down don’t tend to reflect someone’s personality fully I reckon.
    Crikey, gone all philosophical, I’m winding me neck in 😆

May 14, 2022 at 1:51 PM

*knew

• Zhongguo Geordie

May 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM

Ok Peter, so one of these types of newspaper (although a more centre right one than the ones I was getting at) did mention the funeral attack, but judging from your comment they actually support it!!! I’ll rephrase my point.

These types of papers generally ignore most the bad stuff that happens worldwide or they condone and enable it (that funeral was just something recent I caught a glimpse of, but the bombing of Gaza and our weapons sales were the two main ones I was thinking of). If I remember rightly most supported the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, said very little about some horrible bombings… but now they’re up in arms about a green strip. Finally, They’re bothered about injustices in the world, but it’s a green strip! Anyone who marched against those types of injustices can say all they like, but many people are just piping up now because we might overtake their team.

• Pottsclock

May 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM

It seems to me that we have a kit, and may be a third choice kit (apologies if I missed that), that has been specifically designed to attract Saudi supporters AND to get shirt sales and revenue up.
    Personally I don’t understand the problem with that. One of the disaster areas under Ashley was the lack of commercial revenue into the club compared to the likes of Chelsa, Spurs etc. Those green and white shirts are going to be sold at a premium price in Saudi Arabia and we will hopefully become THE preferred club in that country which will be great for commercial revenues and general promotion.

• SholaShow

May 14, 2022 at 1:56 PM

Bunga

Aye, just watched some of his videos again to refresh my memory.

Doesn’t pass the Dennis Wise sniff test for me.

A young Shola springs to mind watching him, back when he was skinny and more mobile. Decent feet, but also clumsy. Rangy. Pretty poor technique. All of his goals were scuffed shots, deflections and tap-ins.

I’d hope we pass.

Need a proper sharp ST next season. Somebody in recent red hot form on the up and up that you can hang your hat on for 15+ league goals.

• Munster Mag

May 14, 2022 at 1:57 PM

Shola I’m not convinced by Ekitike either. Myself and the young fella watched him again. Some decent aspects but not enough to rave about.

• WLtoon

May 14, 2022 at 1:58 PM

Ive cooled on Ekiteke, i think there are better alternatives tbh, and his recent injury problems would be a concern when you consider Wilson`s problems.
    Nunez is still my choice but he is wanted by nearly every footer so we will do well to even get a sniff of him, if he does end up here i will do cartwheels in Northumberland st

• martoon

May 14, 2022 at 1:59 PM

My thoughts on the supposed third strip for what it’s worth:-
    Mund is technically correct – why shouldn’t we have colours that represent our owners as other teams have done the same thing. BUT in my opinion whether you like it or not our takeover was controversial (I know, I know) and still quite raw so maybe we should have waited a couple of seasons before pulling a stunt like this. The old expression softly, softly catchee monkey!

• Rotonda heights

May 14, 2022 at 1:59 PM

Sav

With respect you use the royal ”we” a lot.
    You do not speak for all of us and I really couldn’t give a rat’s pataudi what colour our hardly ever used 3rd kit —— shirts are!!

• count

May 14, 2022 at 2:02 PM

Regarding people “kicking up a fuss” or “having a meltdown” over the Saudi looking shirt…

Read back over the thread. It’s the people who are saying it doesn’t matter who are getting the most riled up about it.

• SholaShow

May 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM

Yeah he looks good in tight spaces 1 vs 1, good close control in those situations, that’s the best aspect of his game.

Certainly not an out and out ST for the PL. Looks the type who’d be better as a second supporting striker.

You watch somebody like Abraham and he’s better than Ekiteke at Ekiteke’s strongest aspect and levels above him in everything else.

I guess you could counter that by saying he’s only 19yo and what was Abraham doing 5 years ago?

I’d just rather we sign for the here and now initially.

• count

May 14, 2022 at 2:09 PM

Yes martoon.

In my opinion it was a bit ill advised and cheeky. But woe betide anyone who dares point that out. Instantaneously get lumped in with nigel farage.

As for the histrionics about the hard done to Newcastle fans…. give me a fckn break

May 14, 2022 at 2:15 PM

martoon,

I’d rather get it out the way now mate, let the media and gobshites have their little hissy fit and it’s in the rear view. Doing it when we’re up and challenging for shiny things and they’ll be in hyperdrive on it to derail us and it could actually affect things. I just can’t see them letting up on us ever, we give them ammo and it’s just easy print for them. Unless KSA gives UK oil for nowt, they might lighten up a bit then 😆