web analytics

A Couple Of Factors Are Keeping Striker On Newcastle’s Shortlist

Newcastle remain interested in Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin according to a report in The Athletic. The 25-year-old was identified as a priority target as the curtains were being drawn on this past season.

An initial enquiry for the England international was met with a ‘not for sale’ answer according to a report from The Telegraph a few weeks ago. As it stands, nothing has progressed beyond that point.

Everton have not received an official bid for the striker. However, they remain braced for one later in the summer. There are suggestions that Calvert-Lewin could be ready for a fresh start.

He suffered an injury-plagued campaign but also did not produce the goods until late in the season. He finished on a high scoring the goal that clinched safety against Crystal Palace in the season’s penultimate match.

His tally of 5 goals in 17 matches is not terrible considering his struggles. It is a far cry from the 36 goals in all competitions from the previous two campaigns.

Calvert-Lewin is reportedly open to leaving Goodison Park as the club are in financial turmoil. Frank Lampard will struggle to improve his squad this summer with limited resources.

Everton struggled to create chances which is likely to continue into the upcoming season. Calvert-Lewin may not want to risk a dry start in front of goal with the World Cup coming in November.

Here is some of what is written in The Athletic:

It remains to be seen if Everton will be able to fully address their creative deficit, but it is an issue for Calvert-Lewin — who will want to start the new campaign with the best possible chance of starting to score consistently again in a World Cup year.

Luke Edwards suggested in early June that the door was not closed on Calvert-Lewin. There are many factors that could come into play with the player considering his future and the dire state of Everton’s finances.

It seems a remote proposition now, but things may drastically change as the season draws nearer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle test the waters with a bid later in the window to see how Calvert-Lewin reacts.

• The Taco Taker

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:51 PM

As for Jamal, I see both sides of that debate, personally I would keep him for now unless we sign 2 CBs.

• yorkymag

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:54 PM

Lascelles will struggle at forest he is an old fashioned defender football has moved away from him

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:54 PM

I’d forgotten all about Manquillo, amazing the way Krafth usurped him. Might get £5M for him but probably less to enable the buying club match his wages.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:57 PM

There’s now the matter with Lascelles, he regressed under Bruce but they nearly all did.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:57 PM

TTT

2 CBs? Currently we have Burn, Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez, Clark, Dummet and Watts. We’re currently looking at brining in a young up-and-coming CB so if we sold Lascelles (and let Clark and Watts go out on loan) we’d have 6 1st team CBs. We definitely don’t need to sign 2 CBs in my opinion.

• The Taco Taker

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:57 PM

Thanks Raj, I will check video out

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:58 PM

Ruddy

Like i said!

Play/don’t play their choice!
    They are decent players mate, just not good enough for where we’re headed, is all.
    I’m not gonna slag ’em off and if they wanba play they have to adapt. If not, they’ll run their contract down, end of really. Nowt we csn do about that.
    Fall out from running the club to ‘survive’/ into the ground.

Couple of years… won’t be a problem.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM

Are we counting Dummet as a CB in his twilight years?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:00 PM

Clint

I’d like to see them move on and play regular football elsewhere but all I’m saying is for them to move on we will need to pay part of their wages to whichever loan club takes them on until their contracts run out.

As you say, in a few years time it won’t be a problem.

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:00 PM

York

Sometimes we’re playing old fashioned teams, where he’d kick yheir butts, tho.
    Horses for courses!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:01 PM

Jail

He’s played there quite a few times and is a solid 6/10 backup CB so I’m counting him for the purpose of the discussion around whether or not we need to sign 2 CBs. Let’s call it artistic license haha

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:03 PM

Watts is 23 this season, he needs to go to a championship club on loan. If he’s not considered ready for that at 23 is he going to make the grade here. I hope he does mind.

• yorkymag

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:04 PM

Clint
    Maybe in the 3 rd round of the cup
    We have moved on
    We are heading for places lascelles manqilo Kraft dummy can’t reach it doesn’t make them bad but just not good enough for where we are headed

• onmeedsun

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:05 PM

Tyran
    You now realise why us bean counters pull all the good looking women at parties. There’s no end of excitement! But seriously it’s how anyone gets to understand a business model, thru numbers.
    In terms Everton and FFP, I think they were quite canny as they involved the EPL in all their accounting adjustments for Covid related losses, so the EPL can’t really turn round now and say they were incorrect. Everton directors knew they were in the proverbial, hence their sneaky tactics.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:05 PM

Jail

Yeah Watts will go out on loan, as will Clark. Add a new CB to our list and sell Lascelles, I’d be happy to have Burn as 1st backup CB and then Fernandez/Dummet as 2nd/3rd back up CB (but we’d be in injury emergency zone if frequently relying on those chaps)

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:08 PM

Aye, to sign two CB’s we’d need to get rid of Clark and Lascelles/Fed, I just think that’s just too much work to do in one window given all the other deals we have to do.

• Mund

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:09 PM

yorkymag

This is were you have a misconception as we are not there yet and it would be mindful to keep a healthy balance during this transitional period.

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:12 PM

Yorky
    But not all teams in the prem are tik8 5aka mate, h7g?

• The Taco Taker

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:12 PM

Fair point mate, but I was not counting Watts (as he is himself up and coming) Clark likely won’t have a squad number again so can’t play, so as you suggest a loan of both is likely although I prefer if Clark is just off the books permanently.

Dummet is also cover for LB and I suspect Fernandez will leave given the game time he had under Howe.

I think pretty much everyone agrees quality 1 CB is needed in this window.

I did say I have mixed feeling about Jamal but I would keep him for now unless we have 4 better options at CB without counting Dummett in that

Personally, I think we should be all up in getting Gvardiol but that is just me.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:13 PM

onmeedsun,
    Sparkles used to pull all the good looking women at parties until 1983, that fateful year when Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet single handedly ruined the street cred of every single spark. The industry suffered crippling losses to its recruitment 😕

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:18 PM

Looks like Gabriel Jesus to Arsenal is nearing completion – £42m + £5m in add ons.

Do we think we were at all involved in discussions for him? I think he’s a massively underrated player and at 25 I think £42m for a top-tier striker with PL and CL experience will seem like an absolute bargain.

Think he will absolutely thrive at Arsenal and I’m a bit gutted we didn’t appear to be involved in this move at all.

• The Taco Taker

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:37 PM

Jesus could have been a good signing maybe.

Given he is one of the few players on the planet we haven’t been linked with at some point I’d be surprised if we were interested or those in charge already knew he won’t come.

The reality is we will now be linked to 90% of all decent players, that is just something we need to get more used to and not be disappointed if the one that one of us wants slips though our fingers.

Paqueta is a classic example of this…linked primarily due to Brunos comments and cos he came to a game. If you see him play you start thinking of him, Bruno and Joe in midfield. Could be a brilliant Brazilian trio right? I wanna see that but I don’t think that will happen in this window. I merely hope no one else signing him up this year.

• magicmac54

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:12 PM

If we were to sell Lascelles and get Clark and Fernandez out the door, and replace them with Sven Botman and Nathan Collins that would be an incredible piece of business, Shay Given and Kevin Doyle were very complementary about Collins last week after his latest performance against Ukraine , he is only 21 and is great with both feet, fantastic in the air and reads the game superbly as well as he is a great footballing central defender, the kind of defender Eddie likes, Shay Given said he can`t see Burnley holding on to him as he is to good for the championship, i would love to see Collins and Botman at the Toon this coming season. PS i forgot to add Collins scored a real worldie in that match against Ukraine HWTL

• Owen Terence

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:07 PM

I wouldn’t buy him to injury prone for me not enough game time under his belt last season and money they asking is just ridiculous for a player like him

1 3 4 5