web analytics

Freddie Woodman Joins Preston North End On A Three-Year Deal

Newcastle United have confirmed Freddie Woodman has joined Preston North End on a permanent transfer for an undisclosed fee. The 25-year-old had been with Newcastle for nine years.

Woodman joined Newcastle from Crystal Palace in 2013. He ends his time at St. James’ Park with 9 appearances, including 4 in the Premier League. His contract was due to expire next summer.

Freddie has signed on at Deepdale for the next three years. He’s an outstanding addition for the Lilywhites. Woodman has proven to be a top Championship shot-stopper from his two seasons on loan with Swansea.

This is what Freddie told pnefc.net about moving to Preston:

“I’m absolutely delighted. It’s been a while trying to get this over the line, but I’m delighted to be here and I feel very honored to be joining such a fantastic football club and a football club that’s going in the right direction.

“I spoke to the manager, not that he had to sell the football club to me, but the way that he works, he’s very passionate and he spoke very highly of the club.

“Obviously I knew Marshy [Mike Marsh] coming here. He played a big part in me picking Preston over other clubs that I had offers from.

“But also myself, I’ve played against Preston and I’ve never had an easy day at Deepdale, and I want to come here and give these fans something that they deserve.”

Preston’s manager Ryan Lowe, who managed Magpie Kell Watts during his loan spell at Plymouth, is delighted to have Woodman in his ranks. Here is what he said about his new keeper:

“We were aware Freddie wanted a new challenge and I’m really pleased we’ve got it done.

“We’ve beaten off some competition for Freddie as he’s seen what we’re trying to build here at Preston North End.

“We feel he’s going to be one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship.

“His attributes are playing out from the back and his goal saving of course, so he’ll be a top player for us and we’re really excited to start working with him.

“Marshy’s [Mike Marsh] worked with him before with England and with Swansea for two seasons, so when he’s telling you to sign him it becomes a no brainer.”

Preston finished 13th in the Championship last term. Woodman should have a clear path to the starting eleven as Daniel Iversen has returned to Leicester City after his successful loan spell. The Dane started all 46 league matches last season.

We wish Freddie the best of luck and hope he shines at Deepdale. It would be great to see a historic club like Preston North End get back to England’s top flight with Freddie in goal.

Photo Credit: Preston North End

• lesh

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:03 PM

Scythe

Tuff’s in a very select group. He has many friends on here and they include Fenham to Chalfont, Mund, Tuff…. err, emm, errr

Birds of a feather comes to mind

🙄

• Shelvey

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:04 PM

Mund

Do you know if there is a sell-on clause?

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:05 PM

Tyran21

Aye, same leftie. I just play anywhere my team needs, but I really enjoy playing GK in a 5 a side because of the fast tempo.

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:05 PM

Scythe*

• The Taco Taker

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:07 PM

Mund 1.2M eh where did you hear that?

I am pleased if true as I thought it would be over 1M (but I admit my 1-3M estimate was quite wide-ranging and optimistic)

• lesh

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:07 PM

Scythe

On second thoughts, Mund shouldn’t have been included as one like Tuff. Mund’s not a nasty, vindictive sort.

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:08 PM

The Taco Taker

That post is rather misleading though. It is rather aimed at comparing England’s GK only.

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:09 PM

If you receive a ton of abuse it is only human to wind up the instigator, I think that point should be well understood by the more prolific posters. Point is I have read many many reports by many journos, Edwards amongst them, and as I said, no one gets it 100% right, but I maintain Edwards is not a stooge, wide of the mark or a WUM. By and large he is reliable and I trust his sources far more than the local journos, and most nationals.

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:10 PM

Darlow to Forest now,perhaps?

• magicmac54

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM

• A Geordie Mongrel

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM

Tom from previous, I don’t know if the Pope wears a frock but I hear he’s very good at getting to the Crux of the matter. 😆

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:12 PM

surreytoon

Mund hates him,so you’re flogging a deed horse on here fella….

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:14 PM

And I hate the Telegraph and their agenda so it pains me more to stand up for one of their journos but Edwards politics and tweets quite often run contrary to their agenda, so further respect due.

• The Taco Taker

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:14 PM

Tyran, I get that it compares Pope to other England GKs as I guess that was the writers point. That does not make it misleading though.

Sure, we can compare him to Neuer, or Allison or whoever, but for what purpose?

I think the many points of the article are valid ones, but that is only my opinion.

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:16 PM

Anyhoo, anyone is free to rage against any machine in their own lunchtime. It’s called democracy

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:19 PM

Munster
    Click on Magics link,Rafa’s getting some hammer.. 😀

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:22 PM

The Taco Taker

Just that the title should have phrased better to suit the article. But you are right, the writer main point is on England national team. Anyway passing is the least concern when looking at GK, his other stats is among the top is what matters.

• Great White Hunter

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:23 PM

Surrytoon, Very good suming up of Luke Edwards imo, like most journalists they win some ,they lose some, but everyone to their own opinions etc…., I knew early doors regarding Pope from him, but as normal I would just get the normal negative response from posts, vibes etc….. cheers anyway.

• The Ledge

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:25 PM

Tom….glad you are on the mend mate .

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:27 PM

A sell on clause incase Woodman does well in a fee years would be a smart move

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:28 PM

GWH,
    You shouldn’t be afraid to share anything you hear from LE, he’s a verified source and there’s never been anyone on the blog with close ties to someone like that, Torque toon maybe who was a physio for a couple of French teams. People know the info is coming from him so it’s up to them whether they choose to believe it or not. You crack on mate.

• lesh

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:29 PM

Fenham

I should know but will you please explain your earlier auggestion that I’m a mischief maker?

Take your time and one side of A4 should be enough.

• The Ledge

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:31 PM

Edwards is very much a wum he even admitted to winding up the supporters every chance he gets.
    As mund said earlier what about Henry?
    What about the takeover?
    What about his backing of Bruce just to wind us up?
    One of the most disliked journalists that’s covers our club.

• Mund

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:32 PM

Edwards only ever got abuse after the fans seen the recording. That’s a fact.

There’s a reason a lot of the fanbase don’t like him and he caused that not the other way round.

Like I’ve said to GWH who knows him on a kinda personal level that don’t be deterred from sharing anything as I respect the poster just not the source.

I’m not the only one who sees him this way.

He 100% caused all this tho

• Mund

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:34 PM

There will no doubt be a sell on clause for Woodman. I think around 40% clause installed.

Doubt we will ever fully know tho

• The Ledge

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:34 PM

And to be clear, GWH keep sharing what you hear from him.
    I’m not having a pop at you at all.
    I like hearing all the rumors from whatever source .

• Mund

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:36 PM

Exactly Ledge

It’s not like we woke up one day and thought right I’m going to throw some hate Edwards way

• Great White Hunter

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM

Raj, No problem, I,ll keep pestering him, I normally speak to him a couple of times a week, a lot of the time he,s stuck to his mobile etc….. Cheers…………ps Tom, Glad your feeling a bit better also.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:46 PM

I listened to that talk in with Hardy, Caulkin, Wraith, Edwards and a lady journo. LE sounded like a passionate fan, I thought he was. I think his nose was put out when Rafa favoured Caulkin over him and his relationshipwith the fans started to slide. He then climbed in to bed with Bruce and his fall from grace accelerated and it started to get personal.

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:47 PM

Just want to say I love this blog. Been reading and interacting since it’s birth. Muchos kudos and respect to Ed and family for keeping it going.

• Tinos Vino

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM

i think the journo’s are on a hiding to nothing in this day and age. with social media, sky sports etc. how they justify themselves must be hard because there really are not a lot of exclusives out there these days.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM

Wowzer, yikes and cowabunga.
    Lukaku to Inter for €8M loan fee and a pay cut 😳

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:54 PM

@Raj, there was a time when all the blogs and pods were chanting Steve Bruce’s Black and White Army. Ok it for was like 2 weeks when the sun shined, but it happened. I think even Edwards would reappraise his position on Bruce in retrospect. Some journalists avoid an opinion and love the fence. Have you heard Caulkin express a clear and vehement opinion on Bruce? No. And I like Caulkin but some know how to play the game better than others.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:58 PM

surreytoon,
    “@Raj, there was a time when all the blogs and pods were chanting Steve Bruce’s Black and White Army”
    Where is this alternate universe you speak of 😮

• surreytoon

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:24 PM

@Raj ? I distinctly recall Bruce strung together a few wins, I was commuting daily from Southampton to Walton on Thames for work and listening to podcasts and match reports from True Faith, Newcastle Natter, Everything is Black & White and the rest, and he had his day in the sunshine. ‘Twas a day mind you ? but it happened