web analytics

Magpie Close To Departure After Nine Years With Medical Set

Chris Waugh with The Athletic is reporting that Freddie Woodman will be the second Magpie to exit this summer. The 25-year-old is close to joining Preston North End with a medical set in Lancashire.

Waugh believes the move is a permanent one given Woodman’s contract situation. He has just one year left on the extension he signed two summers ago before jetting off for his second loan spell with Swansea.

Woodman was denied another loan spell last summer due to Darlow’s struggle with Covid and Martin Dubravka’s second foot surgery in as many years. He remained behind and was the number one shot-stopper entering the campaign.

Freddie’s dream of a Premier League debut came true in August. He started the first five matches, including the Carabao Cup defeat against Burnley, before ceding the gloves to Karl Darlow. Newcastle’s defensive woes hindered Woodman’s chances of success.

It appears that Freddie’s nine-year stay on Tyneside has come to an end. He joined in 2013 from Crystal Palace and has been accommodating under difficult circumstances at the club.

He twice extended his contract ahead of loan moves which prevented Newcastle from losing him for nothing. He’ll always have his Premier League debut at St. James’ Park to cherish.

Waugh expects Newcastle to add another goalkeeper in this window with PSG’s Alphonse Areola and Burnley’s Nick Pope in the mix. Karl Darlow has been identified as a top target by Chris Wilder at Middlesbrough according to reports on Monday.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:18 AM

Good luck to the future Freddie

Shame but it is what it is.

Two down, nearly…

• Munster Mag

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:24 AM

Ruddy I completely agree re our strength and position compared to Arsenal, Chelsea and have said same a few times. We are noticeably behind them and that gap will only be noticeably closed by guys like Diaby and Paqueta arriving here. Just because we beat Arsenal in our last home game of the season does not mean we have their measure – not if Jesus and Raphinha ( I still cant see why we wudnt buy him ) sign for them.

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:26 AM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Tuchel have history of bust ups.

No doubt Tottenham looks very solid under Conte, that’s why I never mention them. Of course chances are slim, but worth a shot though.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Munster

Ye have little faith mate

You should try it pal

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:29 AM

Looks like this could be done early this week then…

Fair play to the lad

Jacque Talbot
    @jac_talbot
    Hugo Ekitike is prepared to cut his holiday short in order to secure his move to Newcastle: Talks between the Reims youngster’s representative Karl Buchmann and Newcastle DoF Dan Ashworth have been ongoing in the last few days, reports
    @lee_ryder

• Not another deJong

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM

Mattroge / Davas

Glad yous agree. It will be difficult to start and maintain 2 points per game, but with basically the same players boosted by those that were injured, we should stand a chance.

Process
    Patience
    ….party?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:34 AM

Tyran

There’s more chance of Conte spitting the dummy and leaving Spurs than Tuchel exploding at Chelsea in my opinion, but that’s just a difference of opinion I guess. Plus, we don’t know how Chelsea’s new owners will operate in the transfer market so that remains to be seen.

Munster

I’m pretty gutted we weren’t in the mix for either Jesus or Raphinha, two top quality players who will substantially improve Arsenal. I think the very very best we can do this season is finishing 6th and even that requires finishing ahead of (most likely), either Spurs, Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea and I just can’t see it (perhaps Man U if they continue on their backwards slide) but even at that we’d need to drastically improve the first XI – that’s not an insult to our current XI but rather pointing out how difficult maintaining form over a 38 game season really is.

• scott

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:35 AM

Munster

I think personally Arsenals problem is they have no backbone!
    If teams let them play they are like the Harlem globetrotter’s BUT if you get into them & intimidate them ,they fold & have an awful defence!
    Our home game showed they can’t handle an occasion & the players you have mentioned won’t add steel to the squad!

On Woodman he’s gone from one of the hottest goalkeeper prospects to a championship target, real shame for the lad!

• Mattroge

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:36 AM

Davas/De Jong.

what was remarkable in January- despite some people in the press trying to knock it down as just spending our way out of trouble- is that we somehow built from a position of weakness. January is an awful window to do business, club’s don’t want to sell & they inflate their prices accordingly, it’s hard enough luring players for a big club never mind one second bottom of the league. They took their time, didn’t get ripped off & all five were successful to varying degrees. I’m sure they’ll do the same this window, it might take time to get deals done but I’m confident they’ll do the right ones. January showed what they were about & I absolutely trust them 100%.

• check the toastie

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:36 AM

Eddie had Bournemouth top 6, no reason he cant have us around that spot next year. If we sign 3/4 serious players before kick off Eddie will have us competing at the top end of the table.

• Tyran21

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:37 AM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Regardless of where Newcastle might finish, I think next season will be an epic one.

• Wor B

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:41 AM

JohnJ

Thanks and will do soon!

• Munster Mag

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:41 AM

Mund, not sure what you mean. I have faith that Amanda and co will add to the squad, but we are not equal to Arsenal right now, or Chelsea. Im not sure what stating that fact has to do with faith.

As I stated, if/when we start adding the right players ( more Bruno’s in other words ) , we close the gap, so like anyone else, am waiting to see who we get.

• Not another deJong

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:41 AM

“”Newcastle are also interested””

I think we are definitely covered at left back, unless Lewis is loaned out. Which would not be a bad idea if he could get guaranteed matches.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM

I’d be hoping for in or around 6th place finish. Those suggesting 10th are a bit overly pessimistic (miserable bas***ds).

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:46 AM

Munster

Why do you say Arsenal…? They are not a top four team and when they had to step up this season when it mattered the most we absolutely smashed them.

We don’t need to worry about Arsenal or anyone.

Eddie will go into ever match wanting to win and that’s how it should be.

We will upset a few apple carts next season.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM

Tuffers

With the right signings there is no reason we can’t disrupt the top 6. It’s what I’m thinking or very least top 8

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:48 AM

Check

Howe’s highest PL finish with Bournemouth was 9th which is a great achievement. We’re a much bigger club with considerably greater resources but cracking the top 6 on a consistent basis is much harder than finishing top 10.

Tyran

Exactly mate, it’s the first season in a long time that we’re starting the league season unified, optimistic and hopeful as a fan-base. It will be a fantastic ride!

• Mattroge

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:49 AM

Arsenal’s young team sh@t their pants at SJP last month, totally agree with Mund. Smart window, full pre-season under Eddie & with his meticulous preparation we will absolutely upset some teams at home next season.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:49 AM

• Davas

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM

Nadj/mattroge
    Yeah I thought it was an excellent window considering our position. If we are lucky with injuries and can,especially, keep Wilson fit, we could have a good start. Plus, as we haven’t got too many at the WC, a bit of rest and recuperation mid season

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM

Mattroge

I think we will surprise a good few on how we perform next season.

I’m so excited to get started

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:51 AM

Pragmatic, realistic and steady progression will be the order of the day. Top 8 as a realistic, achievable target with a good cup run and that’s a fantastic platform from which to build.

Would I love to see us crack top 6? Of course! Do I think it’s a realistic target? Not at this moment.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:51 AM

Scott

Great post and you put it perfectly

• Not another deJong

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:52 AM

“”cut his holiday short””

Probably more like put his holiday on pause.
    No issue with doing medical, signing contract and then going back to the beach.
    However, I don’t expect he will sign until the 7th July.
    And these stories will continue.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM

If we could predict the future we’d all be millionaires…

Every man and his dog had us down last year and plenty of our own fanbase thought the same but we achieved the Great Escape and Eddie “The Record Breaker” Howe put his name down in history.

We were closer to Europe by the end of the season than relegation.

Dream big lads and lasses as it’s going to be one hell of a season

• Mattroge

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:00 AM

We have been in and around tenth under a manager with a part-time training schedule and who “didn’t really do tactics” we finished fifth when we stayed injury-free & a lot of the stars aligned for us. West Ham just finished seventh off the back of Moyes’ well-drilled regime. I’m rambling but there’s a lot of things that can happen and go right/wrong, but with a good window & a decent start I don’t think Europe is completely out of the question. However, I like to think I’m a reasonable man & if we had a comfortable season finishing tenth with a cup run I’d absolutely take that.

• onmeedsun

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:00 AM

Woodman just didn’t have the physical presence or height required of a top keeper. The first time I watched him these weaknesses were obvious. Not sure why anyone thought he’d be a world beater. Not even a great shot stopper as evidenced by the start of last season. Just hope that experience doesn’t damage his confidence for his next move.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM

Regardless of where any of us think we will finish next season, I think it’s safe to say that we all want what’s best for the club and to finish as high as possible next season.

Some of us are dreaming big, which is great. Some of us are tempering our expectations, which is OK too.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM

Good to have you back around Mattroge

Been a while mate

HWTL

• onmeedsun

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:03 AM

Mattroge
    Agree. Top half finish and never in danger at the bottom, with a good cup run, and some big scalps playing exciting football will do me. We then kick on from that next summer. But we need at least 3 more top players in this summer.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:03 AM

But those expectations big or small are more than we ever had during the last regime and that’s my point….

Even the small dreams are big compared to what any fan is use to

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:05 AM

City contacted Arsenal over Saka

That wild be a surprise but I suppose not if Sterling leaves

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:06 AM

Would*

• Davas

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:09 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how a mid season world cup affects teams this season it’s never happened before.

• Dubai Micky

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:10 AM

Re paying transfers via installments, it’s got nothing to do with FFP, but loads to do with cashflow.

Example you buy a player for 25m and put him on 5m/year on a 5 year contract, total 50m. Under FFP that counts as 10m/year it doesn’t matter whether you pay the transfer fee in one go or not.

Cashflow is king and accountants are creative.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:10 AM

Exactly, my ‘realistic’ expectations of top 8 would have seemed like a fantasy under Ashley so even the most pragmatic of us are anticipating achievements that we could only of dreamt of.

We’re in for an exciting season lads, we’re all in the same boat, pulling in the same direction, so let’s enjoy it.

• Mattroge

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:11 AM

Thanks Mund 🙂 I somehow drifted away from here over the last couple of years.
    The initial takeover- March 2020- got me sucked into Twitter, I was working from home & I got obsessed with checking it every day for takeover news. When the thing collapsed I was absolutely gutted, kept checking Twitter for news/hope. I wish I’d never joined the place really. As strange as it might sound, the whole takeover saga & lockdown football under Bruce I do think actually impacted my mental health. Not suicidal or anything but it was a very negative period & looking back I do think the negativity of Twitter land did not help me at all. I’ve deleted the app & I’m attempting to stay away from it until the window closes. Wish me luck!

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:12 AM

Micky

Ofc it has something to do with FFP