web analytics

Report From France Sheds More Light On Ekitike Delay

Tuesday was another roller coaster ride for the Toon Army. News broke that an agreement in prinicple has been reached for Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope. The 30-year-old is expected to wrap up a £10m move later this week.

On a sad note, Freddie Woodman has officaly departed his home of nine years. The 25-year-old has joined Preston North End on a permanent transfer which is an excellent opportunity for the young goalkeeper.

Some potentially worrying news comes via an update on Hugo Ekitike from The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards. He revealed calls to the player’s representatives have not been returned for the past week.

The 20-year-old is currently on holiday with the move to Newcastle in his agent’s hands. An agreement has been reached with Reims but the striker is being shopped around Europe.

While concerning, this may be the work of his agents trying to get the best move for their client. They could also be looking to cash in on lucrative agent fees which reportedly is a cause of contention with the Newcastle hierarchy.

France’s L’Equipe, by way of Get French Football News, are reporting that Newcastle remain in pole position to land the striker. However, there is growing concern due to the interest of some elite clubs in Europe.

PSG have been linked in recent weeks though they are in the process of poaching Christophe Galtier from Nice to be their next manager. They may not be ready to make a move until the managerial situation is sorted.

L’Equipe also claim Real Madrid see Ekitike as a future star and are considering making a move. Real Madrid have just added Aurelien Tchouameni of Monaco to their impressive group of Frenchman – Karim Benzema, Eduardo Camavinga, and Ferland Mendy.

They also claim Bayern Munich could pounce for Ekitike. Newcastle had seemingly fended off Borussia Dortmund, who have added Karim Adeyemi and are now going for Ajax’s Sebastien Haller, only to now see Bayern move into the picture.

Bundesliga writer Manuel Veth is confirming the interest from the Bundesliga champions. However, it could hinge on Robert Lewankowski landing in Barcelona.

This potentially sheds light on why the move to Newcastle is being delayed. Ekitike’s representatives are exploring all options which may end up with Newcastle moving on to other targets.

• Tinos Vino

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:35 AM

Ruddy. yeah looks like Tarkowski is in the no longer required for the toon category

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:36 AM

Adam

It is what it is

I just wanted to say for future reference to not use my name please but I think you get that already.

Stick up for whoever you like but keep my name out of it and especially with someone like that who goads me to death on here.

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:36 AM

Raj
    Aye, only flashes from cornet, imv.

• DayvanCowboy

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:38 AM

Reading this morning that we are one of the clubs looking at Fabian Ruiz from Napoli, entered the final year of his contract and is available for £26m, I’d say thats fair value for a 26 year old Spanish International, certainly an upgrade on Shelvey in the deep laying playmaker role Howe had switched him to.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:38 AM

At least we did not buy 2 players from a relegated team. buy all 11 and the future is clear.. But this is my point on GK stats. How many goals did Burnley let in? The answer is enough to get relegated. How good was Burnley defence? enough to get relegated.

A goal keeper can only do so much. By the way, I think it is a really good signing

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Plenty of talk recently about Pope, Jesus, Abraham and Prophet/loss.

So sticking with the theme and given that some think I’m a Tsunki alt, I thought I’d attempt to replicate the sage’s storytelling prowess…

And so it came to pass that on the 7th day of the 10th month in the year of our Lord, 2021, the proud Geordie nation was blessed with the greatest news of all, that of the coming of Kings from the East.

Great joy and unbridled happiness overwhelmed the peoples of the area as from whence there was only darkness there was now to be light.

But for one simple Smoggy boy this day held even greater significance for he was touched by the hand of the deity Mehrdad.
    For he had been chosen.
    And his destiny was to become ‘The Enlightened One’

He became known to all men as the prophet Mund and he addressed legions in the name of their saviour…

“Our divine leader Mehrdad has appeared unto me
    And it is through his teachings that I preach unto thee
    Fear not my children as we are born into a new era
    And we’ll soon relive the times of Keegan and Shearer

There are none so blind as will not see
    So keep the faith and follow me
    Open your eyes and open your mind
    As a glittering future is what you’ll find

I will strike down with vengeance and untold fury
    And cast out those souls of the naysayer jury
    Who cry handing contracts to Longstaff and Dummett
    Shall not take us swiftly to the highest summit

Understand that patience is a virtue my flock
    And we have plenty of time still left on the clock
    Some of our signings shall be considered world class
    And if you believeth not, then kiss my Smoggy ass

Let me lead you good people up by the hand
    As we are headed as one to the promised land
    Afford the owners time for indeed they shall act
    And that my fine brethren is an absolute  FACT”

• Harley

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Mattroge

Good article.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:41 AM

The reason I took a break from the blog was not you think. It was the constant sniping, not at me, but between individuals. I left and it all stopped, I come back and it is starting again.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM

not bad Bard

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM

anyway off again will probably return at some stage.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:50 AM

just one last comment. If you cannot say anything nice say nothing (copyright my mother)

• Tyran21

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

I feel McNeil have a lot room for improvements and is just 22. If he cost as much as Pope, I see him as a low risk investment for the future. I feel Fraser is just slightly ahead of him due to his better passing. Let’s see who Newcastle offloading first. He might be a replacement for Ritchie.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Tyran

If he cost less than £15m I’d be interested in looking at McNeil but not a penny more. His end product is woeful, and while he was in a poor Burnley team, he just strikes me as a busy fool. 0 goals and 1 assist for a regular starter is abysmal from a winger, no matter how bad the team is and 22 or not, I’d expect better from a supposed attacking player.

There are much better players than McNeil out there and I trust the club to go out and find them.

• valle

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:01 AM

JohnJ… I agree, which is why it seems a bit ironic that Everton should be worried that we offer 85 million for him. I think they would bite our hands off for that amount.

• Adamn_92

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Tyran

Agree regarding McNeil. I don’t think he’d be anyones first pick, maybe not even in their top 3 or top 5. But if the price was decent then he’d be a good squad player with a high ceiling potential wise. Far younger than the likes of Fraser, Almiron and Murphy. So has a good chance of becoming better than them and be at a younger age. So would be a good squad player and replacement for any of those mentioned within a season or 2.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Lee Ryder
    @lee_ryder
    33s
    #nufc have released a limited number of season tickets to fans. Will be available to those with “purchase history”. Full details to follow

• valle

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM

Regarding our signings… Pope and Targett are good signings, but I am still waiting for the signings that impress. The statement signings if you will.

• Adamn_92

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:04 AM

If we’re getting Pope though then I imagine that’ll be business done with Burnley, unless we send a player their way. I don’t think we’ll be looking to sign multiple players from a relegated team. Pope is an obvious choice as he’s clearly good enough to still be a top goalkeeper at this level. The other options from the likes of Burnley are all debatable and could get better elsewhere.

Potentially Cornet too I suppose. But think it’ll be Pope and done.

• DrGloom

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Already 1505 ahead of me in the queue for additional season tickets (

• Not another deJong

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Rule 2

Harassment and contrivance are ok when other people join in, but only when in accordance with rule 1.

• clinath@ed

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Clint, it would appear we have confused the “non-Clints” on here 😉
    Mund. I’m afraid patience is a virtue I am not pleased with, and tho we are doing great financial business, we are only one more goalie up from last season. 🙁

Still need one big name signing, and that name is Paqueta.

• clinath@ed

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Blessed with.

• clinath@ed

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:08 AM

Seems we agree Valle

• Wor B

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM

Steady upgrades that strengthen the team / squad is exciting enough for me. After 14 years of Ashley’s mismanagement and stagnation I’ll take gradual improvement on the way to the top. If we take the occasional leap, even better.

• Wimbletoon

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:16 AM

Diaby ahead of Paqueta for me. RW more pressing than CM/AM. Both would be dreamland.

• valle

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:16 AM

Clinath… We do mate, but I would prefer Botman and Ekitike on top of that and I would want us to get Diaby more than Paqueta, although I would be happy with Any of Them.

• Adamn_92

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:17 AM

Fabian Ruiz links don’t seem to be going away. He’d be a superb signing and I genuinely think with him, Bruno and Joelinton in midfield, we’d have one of the best midfields in the league.

Ruiz and Bruno would dictate the tempo of the game and keep us ticking over, rarely giving possession away and making incisive passes forward. Their understanding and awareness would help us dominate possession and dictate the game how we want to play, not how the other team want to play. Joelinton would be the muscle and allow them two to express themselves, whilst he links up with them and provides that bite and muscle in the middle, which we know he excels at. Them 3 together really would be up there with the best in the league.

• magicmac54

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM

Adamn 92

Good morning Adam, if we were to go back Burnley for one more player i would love it to be Nathan Collins, he is only 21 and is a classy young central defender, good with both feet, fantastic in the air, reads the game superbly, and is great at bringing the ball out of defence, i would love him to be on our redar Adam as this lad has a great future ahead of him HWTL

• clinath@ed

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:24 AM

Lot of Arsenal links with Fabian

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:24 AM

Miles Starforth
    @milesstarforth
    14s
    Newcastle are releasing a ‘limited number’ of season-tickets to supporters with ‘previous purchase history’. These will be available from 10am on June 28 on first come, first served basis. #nufc

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Newcastle United FC
    @NUFC
    5m
    Replying to
    @NUFC
    ?? Those supporters eligible to purchase 2022/23 season tickets can do so from 10am on Tuesday, 28th June 2022.

The process for general admission season tickets will take place online only and applications will not be processed via telephone or in person.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM

DrGloom,
    It’s not to purchase It’s only to check eligibility I think, the purchase is next week.

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Memberships back open on Thursday

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Clint, aye!
    😀

• Mund

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:29 AM

I bet thousands of fans are sat on hold now thinking they can buy ST

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:29 AM

Raj/mund

Limited Season ticket offer!

• magicmac54

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:32 AM

Mund

Morning Mund, do you mean it`s possible to become an Newcastle member tomorrow mate? HWTL

• The Last Jedi

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:33 AM

Coming home

Ruddy and Fenham are trouble causers who sniff each others butt. You can tell by the type of women they chase

1 6 7 8