web analytics

Poll – Who Will Be Newcastle’s Number One Goalkeeper Next Season?

If everything goes as planned, Nick Pope will sign along the dotted line and become a Newcastle player sometime tomorrow, once he passes his medical.

There have been lots of discussions about whether he will be able to dislodge Newcastle’s current number one – 33-year-old 30 times capped Slovakian International Martin Dubravka, who was signed for just £4M from Sparta Prague three years ago.

Martin has played 130 times for Newcastle and seems to thrive on competition, so it will certainly be interesting to see who Eddie Howe picks as Newcastle goalkeeper for our first game at home to Nottingham Forest on August 6th.

30-year-old Nick Pope has played 155 times for the Burnley first team and 6 times for England.

So who would you choose as Newcastle’s number between the two 6ft 3ins tall International goalkeepers?

Who Do You Think Will Be Newcastle's First Choice Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Certainly, goalkeeper will not be a weak link for us next season, as it was at the beginning of last season – until Dubravka returned to action following injury.

In the first 14 games of last season that Dubravka missed, we had no wins and conceded 30 goals: in Dubravka’s first start at home to Burnley in our 15th game, we won 1-0 – our first win and first clean sheet of the season.

So two top goalkeepers fighting it out for who is between the sticks at Newcastle next season has to be (very) good for the side.

What do you think?

• cyprus

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:04 AM

That includes Dubravka, however. For me, there’s not much, if anything, between Dubravka and Darlow.

• check the toastie

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:37 AM

Darlow has never been convincing.
    Made a few good saves (which is his job) but as an all round commanding goalkeeper he comes up well short. Bag of nerves and a rick waiting to happen.

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:51 AM

Darlow was great in the championship and couldn’t fail to look good after Sels. He was OK for a time under Bruce when literally getting peppered with shot after shot and the amount of good saves masks any bloopers. Although delighted with Pope this is my one worry with him, he has looked great in a Burnley side often under the cosh, will his mistakes be highlighted more when not getting the equivalent of match day practice fired at him.

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:07 AM

id have kept woodman myself and let darlow go, now looks like both are gone, popes a canny keeper and an england keeper so adds quality to the squad

I still think erickson is a liability waiting to happen, he did die on the pitch by the video of it his eyes where fixed good player yes but no thanks

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:08 AM

Munster,
    When you’re about, there wouldn’t be just one ticket, I’m hoping to get two for me and a mate, so you’d have loads of opportunities well in advance on what games you’d get. For example we both miss the opening day and Palace a few weeks later. I’m linking a supporter number with another mate but he’s home all the time and won’t miss any games. If you have got a number you’d be guaranteed at least five games without paying the A list prices of a single.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM

And if you used it just once or twice we wouldn’t expect any money at all for them.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:16 AM

Nufc.com saying that it’s the Chronicle that are reporting only 1K up for sale. I hope they’re full of shite 😕

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:20 AM

I have a lot of family who live in australia, one of them asked me why I shouldnt give it a go there with my family and start a business there, so we packed up for a 3 month stay there went to live with family in sydney, this was 35 years ago so we get there and we are sitting in the back garden and this huge funnel web spider waltzes over the lawn so i jumped up grabbed a shovel and bashed it one this thing was about the size of my hand so in the bin it went, his next door neighbour shouted we dont kill them but catch them and take them to the animal farm, I shouted back well where we come from we kill them and shove them in the bin ya dip shit, so he got on his high horse and come round to confront me and my cousin said you have to excuse mark as hes just come to australia today doesnt know what to do, he said where is he and his family from and i said newcastle and not your imitation one am from the original one that threw him a bit he said ohh a geordie and i said aye

my youngest daughter and son couldnt stand the heat neither could I or the mrs so after 3 month we come back home, we have been over a few times since then but you can never beat home

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:35 AM

Tcpn,
    Are you on the right forum with that???

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:43 AM

I wonder where the Chronicle have got that info from as it seems they’ve been very tight lipped about it all at the club. I’m not sure what the point is in selling just 1K, all they’ve done is upset a load of fans who really should be entitled to one a lot more than say, me and Munster. For the sake of a 1K token gesture, why bother?

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:45 AM

10 years ago there was a family wedding in perth, so all my family brothers sisters kids went over for the wedding, god the minute we got off the plane the heat just smashed you in the face, you kind of struggle to get some air in you then it gets a bit better, well anyways wedding over and done with so me and my brothers hit the perth pubs

so first pub and they sell newkie brown we said brilliant 3 bottles please so my oldest brother turns around and said oii your browns off replace it please and the barman said what do you mean its off he said your brown ale is off so the manager comes so my brother repeats what he said and the manager says where do yous come from my brother said the city that brews this ale he quickly said replace the bottles they know what there talking about haha, the thing with the aussies they drink out of very small glasses they said one was called the scooner I said its less then a half pint its nee good wheres the pint glasses 🙂 they had none, the aussie women just loved us think it was because we looked rough and ready the thing they didnt know was all of us was married so nowt happened

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:45 AM

raj

it was just something to say about my past family travels

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:47 AM

Have I missed something during the night that has brought on an Australian nostalgia segment?

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:48 AM

How can you tell a plane that has just landed is full of poms? Well, the whining doesn’t stop when they turn the engines off..

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:49 AM

tcpn,
    It just seemed so randomly out of the blue, I thought you thought you were on an Australian nostalgia blog 😀

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:51 AM

ToF,
    You being the original ten pound pom is probably where the joke stems from.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM

Mark

I think I’d of dropped the shovel and ran mate 😉 or threw one of the kids at it and then run 😉 .

Share what you like mate I enjoyed reading that.

The amount of crap people put up on here that has nothing to do with Newcastle United is immense so you post what you like mate

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM

The overrated Frenchman

ohh we dont moan on as much as the aussies 😉

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:54 AM

raj

thats it hit the nail on the head 80 of my family went over for the 10 pound poms back in the day

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM

mund

there huge some of them mate and the brown snake is a nasty bugger as well then you have the red back, more poisonous spiders, snakes even box jelly fish and sharks crocks, the kids there are all taught what to do which is great really but when people go and confront it then they use whats around them like a shovel and bye bye funnel web 🙂 my kids the spiders isnt daft enough to set about them 🙂

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:58 AM

mund

all my family who live in aussie are all die hard toon fans so are there kids now

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:59 AM

Mark 😆

I’ve never been but it’s a place I’d rather avoid for all those reasons just stated. I’m not a fan of spiders, so foot going to the place were they are 10x bigger and 100x deadlier 😆 beautiful country tho

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM

Nobody is telling you what to share and what not to share tcpm, we all like to tell a story. I just thought it was a bit random given the previous posts.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM

Glad to hear they are flying the black and white flag over in Aus 😎 got to spread the love don’t we mate 😉

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:02 AM

no problem raj

mund

you should go if you have a chance its a fantastic country its bloody huge but watch out for the heat and the aussie women there both as deadly as the spiders and snakes are 🙂

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:03 AM

Not being funny Raj but you are one of the worst on here for talking about random stuff about your life…

You share loads of stuff that have nothing to do with NUFC and are as random as anything on here.

Just saying

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:04 AM

Mark 😆

I’ll keep that in mind mate 😉

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:04 AM

No way was it Darlow’s fault, the first 14 games. Perfectly good keeper…if ge mices to boro, he’ll docwell for them. Nit much between him and Dub.
    Pope, ok, a keeper! Sure he’s good, if Eddie says!?!

Toney 50m, ho ho ho, Eddie will pay that fir his ‘tude?..okaaaaaay!?!

Bale to cardiff, phew!

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:05 AM

I thought you didn’t read my posts Mund.

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:08 AM

mund

say you went to sydney the best place for info on the wildlife is the animal farm they will tell you everything to know, every time we have been back to sydney ive never seen another funnel web saw brown snakes but they run really but there nasty as well if you confront them, my family there all taught us what to do and what to take while out and about or how far you are from the nearest hospital where the cures are so its really safe you should go if you get the chance

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:09 AM

😆 twisty

I seen that the theme yesterday was pointing out hypocrisy so I thought I’d take part 😉

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:09 AM

toney can stay where he is no way hes worth 50 million and hes not to nice to his club with his outbursts

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:10 AM

Mark

Tbh mate I’d love to if I ever could.

Get the rugrats all through school first then me and the wife always planned on travelling.

• Moonraker15

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:21 AM

Pope yes as number 1. Eketike can do one as far as I’m concerned! Greedy little tw@t! Same with Botman! If you don’t fancy the Toon project then you’ve got no ambition!

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:23 AM

Moonraker

Relax mate. Don’t read into the BS

“Patience is a virtue”

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:23 AM

Mund I pointed out we all like to tell a story, stop being an ar$e for the sake of it. Have you woken up in a mood because that three titted lady you were dreaming about isn’t real?

• Darnik

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:24 AM

Chelsea apparently want maxi but our asking price of 40m is too high we’ll have to lower our price for it to happen, where do you start with that one, firstly its 50m and secondly why do we have to put our prices down yet everyone else puts their’s up for us, not happening

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:25 AM

Darnik

Ha!

Sale by snoozepaper, to snidey’s.

😀

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:26 AM

I was five years in Sydney and didn’t even see a redback, saw one huntsman and didn’t see a snake at all.