web analytics

Poll – Who Will Be Newcastle’s Number One Goalkeeper Next Season?

If everything goes as planned, Nick Pope will sign along the dotted line and become a Newcastle player sometime tomorrow, once he passes his medical.

There have been lots of discussions about whether he will be able to dislodge Newcastle’s current number one – 33-year-old 30 times capped Slovakian International Martin Dubravka, who was signed for just £4M from Sparta Prague three years ago.

Martin has played 130 times for Newcastle and seems to thrive on competition, so it will certainly be interesting to see who Eddie Howe picks as Newcastle goalkeeper for our first game at home to Nottingham Forest on August 6th.

30-year-old Nick Pope has played 155 times for the Burnley first team and 6 times for England.

So who would you choose as Newcastle’s number between the two 6ft 3ins tall International goalkeepers?

Who Do You Think Will Be Newcastle's First Choice Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Certainly, goalkeeper will not be a weak link for us next season, as it was at the beginning of last season – until Dubravka returned to action following injury.

In the first 14 games of last season that Dubravka missed, we had no wins and conceded 30 goals: in Dubravka’s first start at home to Burnley in our 15th game, we won 1-0 – our first win and first clean sheet of the season.

So two top goalkeepers fighting it out for who is between the sticks at Newcastle next season has to be (very) good for the side.

What do you think?

• lesh

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:29 AM

Mund

You’re off already eh? Barely out of your pit and you’ve decided to decide who can post what.

Come off your high horse man, come into the real world.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:31 AM

😆 rattled

• CLINT FLICK

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:31 AM

Darnik

You reckon the person that erote that maxi to chavs ‘story’ is a chav fan?
    😀

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:32 AM

Right who did it….?

Who said Lesh 3x

Bless ya Cotten socks

• Darnik

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:33 AM

Clint
    I’m guessing yeah lol it’s laughable how we get asked silly money for incoming players yet we’re expected to virtually give our best players away

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:39 AM

100% sure Mund and Raj is secretly in love with each other. If one leave the other one out of his post, the other one felt left out and jealous.

• lochinvar

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:41 AM

Morning press full of the usual blah blah blah.
    Erikson in liove with the Man Yankees.
    Daily Mail think Max is after a move to Spurs or Chelsea but is over valued at £50m so maybe we should reduce that valuation to help them out.
    And loads more bullshite on every front.
    No surprise that it’s all very slimy six centric.
    Let’s hope that next season the monopoly is disrupted by us and a few others.

• Mag52

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:41 AM

Travelled all round Australia in the late ‘60s (except for Western Australia) starting in the Northern Territory.
    Worked in the bush for some of this time. Never saw a snake nor a spider. Only when I got back to U.K. and folks asked about theses dangerous critters did I realise the peril I had been in for 15 months ‘down under’.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:44 AM

Plain as the nose on your face who instigates what on here.

On the Darlow/Woodman/Pope discussion, I was never particularly enamoured with Darlow. He was cracker in the Championship but never really looked like a settled PL standard keeper. Don’t get me wrong, there were times he was really solid, but there was a reason Rafa upgraded 1st chance he got and Dubs was a considerable upgrade at that.

Woodman was thrown in at the deep end in a struggling side, but it was a sink or swim moment and he sank, it knocked his confidence and then he couldn’t even dislodge Mark Travers at Bournemouth so Woodman has likely found his level with a mid-table Championship side.

For my money, Pope is not only an upgrade on both Darlow and Woodman, which we obviously can all agree, he’s also an upgrade on Dubs. I’m delighted that we have multiple England internationals in the squad (and I’m not even English!) and I’ve a sneaky suspicion that if Matty Targett starts the season the way he finished, when Southgate comes to watch Pope and Trips, he may be keeping an eye on young Matty for that troublesome LB spot.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:47 AM

Lochinvar

It’s sickening mate, but even if we disrupt the ‘Big 6’ or even the ‘Top 4’, the world will still revolve around those clubs. Sure look at Leicester and West Ham, both sides have disrupted the league positions by finishing in the top 6 (with Leicester even winning the league) and it still revolves around Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

We’re well used to being talked down about, but when we’re chasing league titles and finishing top 4 every season, they’re going to have to talk about us mate 😎

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:47 AM

They’re all coming out from under their rocks 😳

Sad but it’s the world we live in 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:49 AM

Sorry, didn’t realise you’re the only one allowed to post on here. I’ll be off then.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:52 AM

😆 how do you know I was referring to you…?

Hmmm

• the crown princes nashers

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:52 AM

lochinvar

if spurs and chelsea want him then theres a so called top 6 tax that needs to be paid so that takes the price up to 100m they pay it or they dont get the player simple as that, if all these clubs can play games with us am sure as hell we can

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:54 AM

You’re right, because we famously get along so well that your comment, written directly after my 1st contribution of the day, was a mere coincidence.

As we say in Belfast: do you think I came up the Lagan in a bubble?

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:56 AM

Eh???

You are a strange lad and tbh I don’t know how you dare. You think we don’t get along…? I don’t even know who you are and you are as relevant to me as a fart in the wind.

Post or don’t post it makes no difference to me

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:56 AM

Great stuff, glad we cleared that one up me old mucker 😀

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:58 AM

I for one don’t see why we’d even entertain the notion of selling ASM to any PL club? If an offer came in from the likes of PSG of £50m for him then personally I would accept it and use it to strengthen the squad overall, but to Spurs or Chelsea? No thanks.

• Romford mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:58 AM

Wor

It’s looking like she might have to make an appearance ! 🙂

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM

Anyone remember this Getafe shirt …?

Amazing!

• Mattroge

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM

Ruddy @90 you’re definitely correct, the Southern media love to talk us down & the way some of them have went on since the takeover shows that. Whole crop of them on Twitter which is one of the reasons I’m staying away from there at the moment: Miguel Delaney, Ollie Holt, Tariq Panja & Matt Slater. Holt in particular is a nasty hypocrite as shown by his coverage of the boxing in Saudi, didn’t even criticise it. Panja & Slater seem to have some sort of vendetta against Staveley, their Tweets around her in particular have seemed personal to me.

I felt the coverage towards West Ham last year had a tinge of desperation/longing around it, seemed clear to me that certain quarters were praying for them to get into the CL. Be a different story if it’s us though. You can pick your buzzwords now, sportswashing, blood money etc.

• Macas

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM

Personally thought Darlow was awful in the Championship, was dropping a major clanger every few weeks. Seemed to have matured a bit as a keeper lately but still not quite good enough as backup.

• SuperShearer

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM

I am in no way ITK but just got a funny feeling things are going to fall into place.

Botman – Milan out of the running, I think it’s just a case of him coming back from his break to have a medical and be unveiled.

Ekitike – ditto as above. I think he’ll look at his potential options: Dortmund, Madrid, PSG and think, “there’s no way I’m getting game time and those clubs, but Newcastle, they need someone like me NOW, I can make a name there and after that, who knows.” – Again, I think the delay is due to a few things being ironed out and him being on holiday.

Pope – half expect this to be announced before the end of the week.

I then think there will be two key and potentially marquee signings through the door.

1. a creative midfielder – I suspect Erikson could be it. Again, he’ll look at some clubs like Man U and Spurs and think, I’m going to be playing second fiddle there, but at Newcastle, I get to be a star and help bring that project along.

2. a speedy winger – my hope is Diaby as he looks scintillating and again, he’d be guaranteed game time here but if not him I think we’ll push for someone like Bale – a big name who will sell shirts and help us become more global.

Like I said, just a gut feeling and I’m normally negative about this stuff.

Just think that the owners have done things in the right way, every time so far and with Ashworth they’re doing their business quietly and professionally…. a lot of paper talk is agents trying to leverage our wealth to their clients’ advantage.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:01 AM

Romford

Wor is going to need to keep that popcorn lady on retainer but she’ll get more business from the likes of Lesh, Jail and Lord Voldemort (he-who-shall-not-be-named) than she will from me haha

• valle

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:02 AM

Good morning good folk, any twitter news regarding transfers this morning?

• Adamn_92

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:03 AM

I don’t see ASM going anywhere. He absolutely loves the fans and the club, is clearly working hard in pre season to get in top shape for the start of the season, plus didn’t Howe and the owners basically say he’s part of their plans already? We wouldn’t even bat an eyelid at any offer below £50m if you ask me and even then we’d say thanks but no thanks.

I’m actually very impressed seeing ASM working hard to get up to full fitness and be in top shape, shows he’s determined to make a big impact next season. Think with a full pre season under Howe to understand more of what Howe wants from him, plus Wilson back and no doubt other quality players, he could have a big season for us.

There were signs in the last handful of games that ASM was learning to change his game up a bit. Tracking back a bit more and at least trying to pass it earlier or get a cross in, even if it didn’t always come off. So i’m very hopeful that we’ll see a more polished ASM this season.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:04 AM

Getting into the top six might be easy but staying there seems to be the hardest.
    Take Leicester as soon as they got there the press stirring the shite – telling players to go to ‘bigger’ clubs and look what happened heads turned and they moved on

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:04 AM

I do hope there is something going on with Eriksen with the odds falling dramatically over the last 24hrs…

I know some think the bookies have inside knowledge etc etc but they’ve done this many times and it doesn’t come off…

This is one I’m hoping does as he would help be that top 6 side

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:04 AM

What’s everyone’s thoughts on 1K ST’s
    a) Do we believe that the Chronicle have been given the precise amount
    b)If true then why are the club giving them to, what is imo the least deserving.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:05 AM

Mattroge @101, couldn’t agree more mate. Complete hypocrites the whole lot of them. Usyk v Joshua II is signed up for SA and I’ve not heard a peep from Holt, Delaney or the rest. Where was their indignation when both Russia and Qatar were awarded the World Cups in suspicious circumstances? F1 in Saudi and Bahrain, the LIV Golf situation etc.

You make a very interesting point regarding West Ham, and while I didn’t immediately notice it, I have noticed that the southern media, Sky Sports in particular, have an absolute love affair with Spurs. I think it’s a combination of them being a London team with a fair few England internationals that’s the reason behind it but god it’s sickening! Can’t see it changing any time soon, but like we’ve said, we’re well used to it by now.

• valle

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:05 AM

SuperShearer… As a Dane I feel compelled to tell you that Erickson would be Swedish. I am pretty sure that you refer to Eriksen, the Danish player. Swedes use “son”, Danes use “sen”

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:07 AM

Jail

The Ronny Gill is the least reliable source of information for anything, but there’s a chance they could have been given the slip regarding the 1,000 STs

I think it’s a really dangerous narrative to be spouting deserving/least deserving fans argument.

What I would recommend, if you’re a member, to make your feelings known to NUST will be all over the ST situation and have an inside line of communication with the club.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM

Sorry
    b) Why even bother with 1K
    c) b

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM

A window business of Pope, Botman, Targett, Eriksen, Diaby and Ekitike would be a fantastic window…

That’s a top 6 side.

Supported by some incoming youngsters with bags of potential…. HWTFL

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM

I personally think Eriksen is pie-in-the-sky given that a) he prefers to stay in London and b) both Spurs and Man United are in the melting pot for him.

I’d be delighted to be wrong but would be amazed, nay utterly astounded, if it happens.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:10 AM

Ruddy,
    Surely someone who held one for ten years plus deservex to be up there.

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:10 AM

Adamn_92

Have you seen the stats of Diaby,McNeil and ASM’s passes into the box that found a teammate? Not including set-pieces. I think ASM should at least match McNeil’s level next season.

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:12 AM

Apparently Firminho is looking to move on…

Didn’t feature as much as he’d of liked last year and now they have Nunez…

Could be available for a good price as well.

Any takers…?

100% for me

• Adamn_92

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:12 AM

SuperShearer

The owners certainly haven’t let us down with any signings up to this current point. Been very smart signings and have been exactly what we needed for where we currently are. Pope is another example of very smart business and I trust we’ll be saying the same about any other signings we make this window.

I think Botman and Ekitike will eventually happening, it’s just been a bit tiresome with the endless reporting of conflicting news surrounding them. Wish all deals were done like how Bruno was and how Pope is being done. I’m still really hoping Paqueta is the creative midfielder, but won’t complain if it’s Eriksen instead. Sill could do with shifting some more players which i’m hoping Ashworth can sort out this window.

Diaby I feel may be a step too far for us at this stage, as I think he’ll command a very high fee and not sure we can splash that out on 1 target just yet when we have other areas to strengthen as well. Unless it’s a really smart structured deal to spread the cost. But just a feeling that it may be one too much too soon. Hope i’m wrong on that though!

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:13 AM

ClaretXtra
    @ClaretXtra
    Jun 21
    Farewell,
    @Popey1992
    . One of the best goalkeepers we’ve ever seen in claret and blue. Wishing you the best of luck at Newcastle, you’ll always be a Claret.

#TwitterClarets