web analytics

Poll – Who Will Be Newcastle’s Number One Goalkeeper Next Season?

If everything goes as planned, Nick Pope will sign along the dotted line and become a Newcastle player sometime tomorrow, once he passes his medical.

There have been lots of discussions about whether he will be able to dislodge Newcastle’s current number one – 33-year-old 30 times capped Slovakian International Martin Dubravka, who was signed for just £4M from Sparta Prague three years ago.

Martin has played 130 times for Newcastle and seems to thrive on competition, so it will certainly be interesting to see who Eddie Howe picks as Newcastle goalkeeper for our first game at home to Nottingham Forest on August 6th.

30-year-old Nick Pope has played 155 times for the Burnley first team and 6 times for England.

So who would you choose as Newcastle’s number between the two 6ft 3ins tall International goalkeepers?

Who Do You Think Will Be Newcastle's First Choice Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Certainly, goalkeeper will not be a weak link for us next season, as it was at the beginning of last season – until Dubravka returned to action following injury.

In the first 14 games of last season that Dubravka missed, we had no wins and conceded 30 goals: in Dubravka’s first start at home to Burnley in our 15th game, we won 1-0 – our first win and first clean sheet of the season.

So two top goalkeepers fighting it out for who is between the sticks at Newcastle next season has to be (very) good for the side.

What do you think?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM

Morelos has had 67 yellow cards and 7 red cards since he made his 1st team debut in 2014, which averages out at over 8 yellow cards a season and less than 1 red card a season and he hasn’t been sent off at all in the last 2 seasons.

Think that narrative is wildly exaggerated. He’s as strong as a bull so I also don’t get the “bullied” by Premier League defenders. If Morelos would get bullied then Ekitike would be annihilated.

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM

Ruddy,

I think the difference between those players and ASM is that they were all shot of confidence when he came in, one thing ASM has never lacked. I think he’s pandered to the fans, both on the pitch and on social media but I think last season a lot of fans turned on him on the bird app and that may be more of a wake up call to him than working on his game with Howe (IMO). I think if the former leads to the latter then it could be win-win.

On Morelos, heart says yes, head says no. He’s built for the league but as someone else said he’d a red card waiting to happen and with our best striker’s injury record we could really do without his understudy getting carded constantly.

• Romford mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM

IMO 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:58 AM

My blog mantra is this: If Ian Toon is on your side you’re on the wrong side haha

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:59 AM

Romford

Oh absolutely mate, it’s all opinion here! I just think of all the reasons not to sign someone, discipline is lower down the list than ability, injury record etc for me. I like that he has a bit of shithousery about him, it’s just whether we could rein that in and channel it.

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Mund,

Don’t fall for it, if Ian Toon is replying to you it’s most likely a trap. Just ignore him and let him talk to himself via one of his many, many alts.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Dazzler

Good point regarding Howe working on turning around lads who were low in confidence, which is different from ASM.

Well I’m personally pleased with seeing how hard he’s working, and as Adam referred to earlier, Maxi had looked much more of a team player in the last few games. This will be a make or break season for ASM and if there’s a player in there, Howe will get it out of him. If not, then he’s destined for the “what could have been” sort of career like HBA had.

• Romford mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:04 AM

I’m not sure it would be lower down on EH’s list though tbh ?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Romford

Many factors come into play when deciding which player to sign/not sign. Howe places huge importance on mentality, and if he judges Morelos to have/not have the right mentality then I support his decision making. Discipline may be one of those factors regarding mentality, but like I say, he’s improved his discipline record considerably in the last few seasons – 10 yellow cards, 0 reds in 42 games in all competitions last season, 10 yellow cards and 0 reds in 44 games in all compeitions the season before.

• Owen Terence

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:04 PM

It has to be nick pope really doesn’t it he wanted assurances on playing first choice I believe he will be or he would of turned down Newcastle otherwise I like dubravka tho I was a bit baffled going after a relegated sides goal keeper but I wish him the best of luck

1 3 4 5