web analytics

Pope Arrives For Medical As Two Sensational Claims Hit The Headlines

Nick Pope has arrived on Tyneside for his medical ahead of a £10m move according to multiple outlets. We should see signing number two confirmed by the weekend.

Pope is an outstanding signing at the fee mentioned. His shot-stopping is elite while his distribution should improve under the tutelage of Eddie Howe. The 30-year-old will provide Martin Dubravka the competition he needs.

It’s not all roses in the headlines today. A couple of reports are putting a damper on the breakthrough for Pope. The Mail is reporting that Chelsea and Tottenham have enquired about Allan Saint-Maximin.

Newcastle set a price tag of £40m for the 25-year-old which the two Champions League clubs balked at. In the process, Saint-Maximin’s head was turned by the higher wages on offer at Chelsea and Spurs.

The crux of the report is that Saint-Maximin wants an improved contract on the one he signed in October of 2020. Newcastle are currently unwilling to enter talks with the Frenchman. We’ll see if anything comes from these claims.

90min is reporting that Newcastle have walked away from a deal to sign Hugo Ekitike due to his representatives’ excessive demands. The report claims personal terms have been agreed with the 20-year-old but additional fees to his agents have complicated matters.

Newcastle, however, remain interested in the Frenchman but will not come back to the table until his agents change their tune. They are reportedly now concentrating on other targets.

I take both of these reports with a healthy amount of skepticism. They have yet to be backed by other outlets so time will tell how accurate they are.

Who Do You Think Will Be Newcastle's First Choice Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:39 AM

If selling ASM is to fund Diaby and Paqueta, I’ll take it.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:39 AM

the fartfulldodger I agree, sorry to misuse your tag, but Pugs are into that sense of humour

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:41 AM

I would sell ASM right now. No end product and will not press nor defend. Apart from that a great player.

• Adamn_92

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:41 AM

If Ekitike doesn’t happen, who’s a young striker you’d like to see us go for instead?

I wouldn’t mind seeing us try to tempt Scamacca to join.

That or a player i’ve been looking into is Jonathan Burkardt at Mainz. Decent season last season and can also play as a wide attacker. Only 20 and already scoring 1 in 2 for Germany under 21s. Could be one to also get early doors and let grow with us.

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:42 AM

Tyran,

That’s the kind of business decision I can get behind. Sell one moderately creative player to bring in two really creative players.

• Davas

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM

Good solid signings in Pope. The thing I liked about his saves clips is that he seems to have strong hands/wrists and the ball rarely seems to just drop down into a danger area when he parries a shot.

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM

Adam,

Benjamin Sesko from RB Salzburg. Same age as Ekitike, and basically a poor man’s Haaland which still makes him an unreal prospect, as is the beastliness of Haaland.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Mainz is a well regarded “nursery” club in the Bundes league. Obviously not Dortmund whom Munchen take their best player every year, but a good club

Build from the ground up

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    3m
    Understand Nick Pope has agreed a 4-year deal at Newcastle United.
    Pope joins Dubravka, Darlow & Gillespie on the books at #NUFC

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:48 AM

Or Haaland’s cousin who seems to be just as big a goal machine in the making

• Adamn_92

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Dazzler

Can’t say i’m too familiar with him myself but I think i’ve heard his name before, maybe yourself or someone else on here at another time? Any player like that would be a good move though. Get a hungry young striker with bags of potential who can grow with us. Beat other clubs to the next superstars for a change.

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:50 AM

Adamn_92

Sekou Mara for me. Cheap, low risk and in Wilson’s mould. Can use the fund strengthen elsewhere.

• niafron

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:50 AM

Lads, my Cricket question of the day…

I noticed there’s roughly two ways to hit the ball… either with the stick quiet low, favouring control and accuracy over power, or the opposite, to handle the stick high and to deliver a powerfull hit with a great move.

So i guess the first way reduce the risk to be retired for the batsman but the second improve the chance to score a 4 or a 6.

Hence my question: do the style of batting choosed depend of the tactical situation of the game ( wether you got to score quickly assuming some risk or not )?

• Mund

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM

Giacomo Raspadori would be my shout

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM

so…. which one will leave Darlow & Gillespie . I know Woodman has gone, but one more has to go.. Maybe Dubs back To Sparta Praha? would not be surprised

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:52 AM

Raj of Hailsley

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:04 PM

Munster, did you get a supporters number when you bought those tickets.

Jail, I checked out the Palace transaction. I was given a seven digit “customer number” , beginning with 41 , but Im not sure if that’s what you are referring to ?

I reckon I’d manage 1-2 trips max per season with the young lad as the last one was so expensive ( flights were nearly 500€ ! ) but we’d certainly love to get back again. It was just what I needed to get NUFC more into his heart, and not just looking at it on U tube. But if we never went to a match again, it was 100% worth it.

• Adamn_92

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Jeez, just looked at Haalands cousins stats and his goal scoring in the youth ranks is frightening.

• Great White Hunter

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:53 AM

As I mentioned earlier, I was told by LE that Ekitike agent was his cousin…….therefore probably trying to get more money etc…. to help family out, or greed, who knows. Cheers

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM

As many posters listed many close alternatives, Ekitike is not really that wonder at all.

• captainmarvel

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:58 AM

Gabriel Barbosa (Flamengo, Brazil) might be someone who would fit the bill in place of he who is not interested in the project..

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:58 AM

As I said, Players and their agent goes hand in hand. Not a slave market.

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:00 PM

Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Agree, can’t rule out Dubraka leaving.

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:01 PM

Raj of Hailsley

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:04 PM

Munster, did you get a supporters number when you bought those tickets.

I reckon I’d only manage 1-2 trips max per season with the young lad as the last one was so expensive ( flights were nearly 500€ ! ) but we’d certainly love to get back again. It was just what I needed to get NUFC more into his heart, and not just looking at it on U tube and Sky. But if we never went to a match again, it was 100% worth it.

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:02 PM

Sorry, reposted in error

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:02 PM

Brennan Johnson from Forest, let them have Lascelles and Darlow back in part exchange.

Johnson looks a player to me and would excel in a decent team.

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:04 PM

Just catching up, is it true we have walked away from Ekitike?

• valle

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:05 PM

Instead of Ekitike? How about Moukoko? He is already getting playing time for Dortmund at 16

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:06 PM

fairscup

Didn’t watch him much but took a look at him at the promotion final because of many hyping him. For such an important game, he looked as lazy as ASM. Strolling all game.

• dazzler

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:07 PM

Adam,

Aye, 60 goals in 40 games at youth level or something like that. Essentially, the same kind of record as Haaland. I have no doubt if his progression is similar he’ll wind up at one of the RB teams and eventually onto Dortmund unless someone else comes in to grab him first.

Moukoko at Dortmund is another one, he is a monster. Dortmund are looking to cash in as well as he’s said he doesn’t want to sign a new contract.

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM

Munster Mag

You know with media, nothing is concrete………

• Munster Mag

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM

Not that worried about Ekitike tbh

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:09 PM

Munster Mag

Same, many more talent like him out there.

• fairscup

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:10 PM

Tyran21
    I agree but the talent is there and he would have to step up to force his way into Eddie’s team.
    Anyway would cost nowt with part exchanges and would be good back up.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:10 PM

Munster. Book the flights early. I used to to do 200 flights per year. I know, someone will say impossible.

So book the flights, take insurance on not making it ( I had airline invitation only access). 500 Euros is crazy, I would do Praha, Munchen, Roma, Madrid for less than 100 Euros and I was doing it every day.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM

Red Bull (Austria)Red Bull Leipzig, Dortmund then Munchen. There is German Footie for you.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM

Munster,
    Check the club website to see if you’re eligible, if you are we’ll link accounts, if I can manage to get two tickets, as I said you’ll ve your choice of about 5/10 that me and my mate won’t be able to make.

• G

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM

Ideally I think we’re still looking for a striker as back-up to Wilson, rather than an upgrade on him. I’d still take a punt on Ben Brererton-Diaz at Blackburn. Still think he could do a job in the PL?

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:14 PM

At least the fans own their club

• Tyran21

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:15 PM

fairscup

Sounds alright too. Think Darlow exchange would be enough I think, Johnson left 1 year contract.