web analytics

Howe Keen To Tie Down Leading Magpie On New Contract – Report

Newcastle have addressed the defense this window with the additions of Matt Targett on a permanent basis, goalkeeper Nick Pope, and marquee signing Sven Botman at center-back. The focus will soon shift to the final third in the hopes of adding goals to the squad.

One instant boost would be if Callum Wilson manages to stay fit for the bulk of the upcoming season. Wilson has been Newcastle’s top scorer for each of the last two campaigns despite missing long spells through injury.

The Mirror is reporting that Wilson will soon enter new contract talks with his current deal set to expire in just two years. This could be Wilson’s final chance at a bumper contract as passed the age of 30 earlier this year.

Eddie Howe remains an admirer of Wilson, who he also managed at Bournemouth. He is keen on tying the striker down long-term. Wilson’s return from a four-month injury this past May reminded everyone of his value to the team. A full season from Callum could see Newcastle fighting for a place in Europe.

Howe will still look to bring in more options up front and lessen the load on Wilson. So far, the window has proven extremely frustrating with the collapsed move for Hugo Ekitike and inflated quotes for other targets like Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Who Do You Think Will Be Newcastle's First Choice Goalkeeper Next Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

***To curb some of the toxicity with the comments, please try not to react to any personal insults or attacks.

I understand this is difficult but we would like to foster a better atmosphere for our readers.

If someone is trying to goad you into a conflict, please email us at admin@nufcblog.com and we will take action against the instigator.

Keep in mind due to a five hour time difference, we may not be able to respond promptly between the hours of 10pm to 10am BST but will respond retroactively by moderating posters who instigate personal attacks.***

• clinath@ed

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:49 PM

Scythe
    Forgot about Ed’s league.
    May need some info posting nearer the start date on how to join leagues.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:50 PM

keep up the good work WOR B AND JAIL ON FPL

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:50 PM

Martoon – that’s BS. I read some stuff and saw Tom was really creepy saying he had Jail’s personal details. That’s just plain weird and wrong.

Read some references to Mund getting fighty and suggesting he and Jail have a scrap at the pub. Did he actually say that though??? I didn’t read that post from Mund.

• Scythe

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:50 PM

I’m hoping they’ve fixed the glitch on the FPL from last season. When I set up the league originally it always invited me to renew it the season after and automatically sent out invites to anyone who took part.

Last season it wouldn’t let me renew and I had to send out codes again. Hopefully it’ll be the easy way this time around.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:52 PM

Scythe – yeah, I was 41st in the blog points league last year. Played FPL every year for maybe 15 years or so. 🙂

• Scythe

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:54 PM

clinath@ed

Don’t worry about it, if I can do it, anyone can! There’s always going to be someone about on here who can answer any questions you have.

As soon as the league reopens I’ll post links on how to join up and if you get stuck on the registration section or setting up your team then just ask for help.

Once you have a team set up and named, you can click on a ‘join league’ button and it’ll ask you for a code. I’ll be posting the code on here a few times so people don’t miss it and you’ll be all set!

• Mund

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:54 PM

TDS

No threat of violence whatsoever

• Scythe

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:56 PM

ToonDarnSarf

So you’ve got way more experience than me then! I’ll be asking for people to use their blog names again this season so we can see who everyone is. I couldn’t see a ‘ ToonDarnSarf’ in the table so assumed you were new to it.

• Mund

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:59 PM

Wor Flags ??
    @worflags
    14m
    Atalanta ?
    Athletic Bilbao ?

100,000 fans over two days?

Who’s up for some flag chaos in all four stands

• Davas

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:59 PM

Scythe

Haha, and i guess zhong g would’ve been even more against it 🙂

Scythe

It would’ve just been nice to see my name in the top half before the inevitable plunge down the league after it starts. 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:01 PM

Scythe
    Yeah, I didn’t want to change it halfway through the season. I didn’t join the points league from the beginning.

No problems from me to join leagues successfully etc. I’ve run leagues for many years, both points and H2H.

• Wor B

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:03 PM

TDS

When the FPL “I’m in” thread opens, include your score from last season.

• Scythe

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:06 PM

Wor B

Good idea including scores. Really appreciate your help on this 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:08 PM

Wor B – will do for sure. But I’m definitely in. 2229 points by the way…17 more than you. 😉

• check the toastie

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:09 PM

Awaiting for TDS to take the position of Chief Mund Agitator. Rinse and repeat.

• magicmac54

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:09 PM

Very sad to find out Raj Jail has decided to leave the blog, he makes a great contribution on this blog and has a superb football knowledge, added to the fact he has went out of his way to get some of us guys on the blog tickets to see the Toon in the past myself included. Raj Jail enjoy your Sabbatical lad, and when you feel the time is right most of the blog will be delighted to see your return fella HWTL.

• Wor B

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:13 PM

TDS

Well done, that’s just over one point per season for your 15 years worth of experience over my maiden season.

😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:13 PM

Check – not a chance in hell. I’m just disappointed that tensions Tom, Mund and Jail contributed to a regular poster from leaving the blog. Jail and I have certainly had our differences but things have been way over the line recently. Very disappointing.

• Wor B

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:14 PM

Jail

FFS just take a week out and come back refreshed.

I need a couple of easy fixtures in the H2H now I’m in Div1.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:14 PM

Wor B – I had a bad end to the season… 😉

• Great White Hunter

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:15 PM

Evening all, It’s been a bit of a crazy weekend on the blog, hopefully most issues have now been settled, I hope the normal bloggers keep on posting and make a Fresh start on a positive note. It’s great to have a few new posters joining and a couple of older posters returning etc….. Anyway from previous, Carltoon I was at the Odeon cinema a couple of times with my son & daughter watching Newcastle matches, really exciting times, a bit noisy though with plenty of kids there…… Also I predicted a couple of weeks back, I thought Eddie would buy, Targett, goalkeeper, Botman, Lingard & Ekitike. Not bad guessing up till now ! ATM not bothered about Ekitike, as I think he’s too big for his boots, had 1 season scored a dozen goals approx and he and his agent thinks he,s Messi, all for £30 million fee…. no thanks, only my opinion chaps,ladies. I,ll have a word with the blogs favourite journalist this week LE, and bring you all up to.
    date etc…with the next incomings…..lol. Also just a quicky, I was at the Newcastle football academy today watching my grandson play in a tournament their, I must say it’s a beautiful set up they have, and apparently the consortium are going to spend a lot of money making it even better, exciting times folks. Cheers. GWH

• scott

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:15 PM

Do not allow Rom to sneak back into div1 next season!

Some of us are going for the quadruple against him! 😉 🙂 🙂

• magicmac54

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:17 PM

• check the toastie

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:18 PM

Great White – beat thing in the world watching the younglings play sport and enjoy themselves. My little un in the picture hs tried pretty much all sports but has settled at Rugby. He 18 now and could play at a decent level in time maybe.

• Arthur Romsdale

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:23 PM

Wilson is class when he’s fit. And he’s useless as he’s never fit. For me you’d have to answer, can the coaches find him a regime where he stays fit more?

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:24 PM

Mund – I’m just very disappointed that it’s come to that. If you guys were both serious about meeting for a pint, you should have sorted it out amicably and made it happen. Agreed to meet at a specific place and time and have a chat and a pint. If you didn’t want to, then fair enough, one or both of you should have said no.

Anyway…I have no desire for an argument, just disappointed you guys couldn’t sort this and it led to a prominent blog member leaving.

Of course it certainly didn’t help that Tom far overstepped the line at around the same time…

• Mund

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:25 PM

Chelsea and Newcastle United are interested in Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, but their latest offers are not high enough for Lazio [Football Italia] #NUFC

• magicmac54

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:28 PM

Great White
    Hunter Do you remember this North Shields team winning the FA Amateur Cup in 1969 mate?

Morning Folks

I really enjoyed watching this little video about North Shields FC winning an historic treble back in the day, no doubt some of you know some of the players, and were even at the final against Sutton United at Wembley in the FA Amateur cup final in 1969.

• Mund

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:28 PM

TDS

What Tom said had nothing to do with me nor does anything to do with that email stuff. It’s a shocking whoever did it but I had nowt to do with it.

Nobody should feel the need to leave for security reasons and no doubt other stuff but I think the final straw was having his details thrown at him, which shouldn’t of happened.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:30 PM

Mund – yes, I understand that what Tom did had nothing to do with you. Just a shame that it happened at the same time as your disagreement with Jail. Seems the two incidents together was just too much. Pity…

• valle

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:31 PM

Let Chelsea have him and buy Paqueta already

• toonluvva

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:36 PM

Would anybody object to the Toon taking Broja on loan with a view to making the deal permanent at the end of the season. Perhaps we can secure another striker on loan at the same time.

If it makes money available in this window we could make a big bid for Paqueta.

• Great White Hunter

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:36 PM

MagicMac, Hope you are well my friend, I vaguely remember North Shields winning the trophy, but unfortunately I can’t remember any details etc…. I was 14 and all I was interested in was the black & whites of Newcastle….. cheers.

• The mighty wyn

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:42 PM

Played at North shields in 1973 – just the reserves mind – got a leg injury and never went back next season

• onmeedsun

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:44 PM

Very sorry to see Jail leave the blog. One of the mainstays. Let’s hope he comes back in time for the start of the season and that bloggers learn to behave.

• magicmac54

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:49 PM

Great White
    Hunter

Always a pleasure to hear from you my friend, i trust you and all the family circle are very well fella? Apologies i should have known you were only a young ankle snapper when North Shields won the cup in 1969 😀 😀 😀 HWTL

• magicmac54

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:53 PM

The mighty wyn

Very interesting to know you played for North Shields in 1973 mate, did you know any of those lads who played in that 1969 winning side mate?

• The mighty wyn

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:59 PM

Magic
    Some of them were still in the first team but I was only 18 so didn’t mix much. I was straight out of the juniors. Should have gone back but women and booze took over

• Wor B

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:01 PM

So there we have it…

Four unshaven blokes in string vests, drinking warm lager, in a 1950s caravan in Whitley Bay, playing dominoes to decide who gets the only bed without springs sticking through the mattress.

It’s not too late Jail, save yersel, leave Jib, Bobby bee and Tsunki to fight over it!