web analytics

Are Newcastle Setting The Stage For German U21 International?

While Eddie Howe chases two Premier League proven forwards in Chelsea’s Timo Werner and Burnley’s Maxwel Cornet, the initial plan this summer was to add a young attacker to the ranks. Though Hugo Ekitike’s move to PSG threw those plans into disarray.

Names of other young forwards have periodically hit the radar. Though none have stuck for very long with current links to young forwards practically non-existent. Most reports are now claiming that interest in Chelsea’s Armando Broja has cooled.

Sport Witness has cited some claims from Germany that Dortmund’s Ansgar Knauff is drawing interest from The Magpies, who have reportedly already made initial contact for the 20-year-old.

Knauff is currently on a year-and-a-half-long loan with Frankfurt, so a move this summer looks unlikely. Frankfurt don’t have a purchase option on him, so Newcastle could be setting the stage for a future move.

Knauff is a German U21 international who is also eligible for Ghana through his father. He primarily played on the right during his half-season with Frankfurt last term. Though he has played as a center-forward or on the left in the past.

He impressed on loan at The Waldstadion scoring 3 goals and playing provider for two others in 19 appearances. The report states his value is less than £10m, though that seems a little low.

While Knauff is on loan with Frankfurt for the upcoming campaign, his future with Dortmund is uncertain. His contract expires in 2024 so he’ll be entering his final year when his loan ends. With Newcastle making contact, he could be one to watch in future windows.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:58 PM

carltoon

Am I out of order, if so I’ll stand in a corner and give myself a good slapping with a kipper?

• magicmac54

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:00 PM

Carltoon

So you were in the lounge in the second half drinking hot chocolate, while this silly Irish man was getting froze in the Gallowgate end, just proves we are thick Paddies 😀 😀 only joking i would have been in the Gallowgate even if it had been in Siberia HWTL

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:01 PM

Right I’m off to finish watching the cricket, later!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:03 PM

Last game I saw at St James’s was a totally rubbish 1 nil defeat to Leicester maybe 4 years ago. It really was abysmal, save for one young James Maddison, on the ball time and time again, between the lines, picking passes and pockets, among our very very low, dense block. He was totally different class on the day. So much so I just spent the last 30 minutes watching him alone, there really wasn’t much point in watching anything else.

• SholaShow

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:04 PM

EGB

All the women casuals I’ve ever encountered who only watch the major international tournaments, are always making comments about how hot the blokes are.

Remember that woman with the Grealish no69 shirt at the Euros last summer?

A man would be strung up for similar if he were in the crowd tonight with similar if he were in attendance tonight.

————–

It’s not misogyny or knuckle dragging to state plain facts that the women’s game is inferior – not as exciting nor impressive.

People really need to relearn words or get a larger vocabulary.

I don’t think saying the women’s game is a pish spectacle equates to hatred of women, which is what misogyny actually is.

• SholaShow

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:05 PM

Forgive the repetition in that sentence, went back to edit and forgot to delete 😆

• SholaShow

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:19 PM

I do hope somebody makes a women’s football blog very soon though and radio presenters aren’t forced to continue feigning an interest, taking up airtime.

Stop piggybacking off the infrastructure of the men’s game 😆

• carltoon

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:24 PM

I’ve stated, I’ve never watched women’s football, I’ve watched a few England games this tournament,
    I loved all sport, and used to watch loads of football, from being young, rugby, cricket, athletics, now I just watch Newcastle,
    Yes I admire nice looking footballer’s but love good footballer’s, i mean Beardsley and Shelvey are among my favourites, so definitely don’t follow football just to watch men.

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:25 PM

You tell them sholashow

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:26 PM

I used to watch womens tennis just for Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:27 PM

Martina Hingis was alright and Jennifer Capriati

• carltoon

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:28 PM

They need to provide the money to progress the women’s game, after all the FA banned women from playing in leagues
    How bloody dare they.

• carltoon

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:29 PM

Well goodnight I’ll the blog to you.

• Davas

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:33 PM

Well as I said I personally enjoyed it and found it exciting, possibly because I wanted England to win. I enjoyed it more than most champions league games which i find boring and very rarely watch now. Again though, in the case of the champions league ( an incorrect name) it may be because I couldn’t care less who wins it.

• A Geordie Mongrel

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:48 PM

Delighted that the lasses won. Some on here could do with checking out the history of the women’s game. They have been treated shamefully over the years.

• CLINT FLICK

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:59 PM

Eeesh!
    Smacks of jealousy, sour grapes?

Don’t watch, switch over!
    Maybe it’s a competition?
    😀

• Ace50

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:01 PM

By the way, I didn’t feel Shola was being misogynistic with his comments. Some people will not enjoy women’s football. That’s fine. Some people don’t like mens football (weirdos 😉 ). I don’t like cricket but some do (more weirdos 😉 ).

• SirBobbytheGreat

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:04 PM

Cornet’s a left-back/winger. He just filled in as a striker for Burnley last season. Would be a great signing though as I don’t rate Matt Targett.

• Ace50

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:05 PM

Shola, I know what you mean re the breaking of records if PEDs were allowed. Naive to think there’s not a decent percentage getting advantages artificially and are not getting caught. The challenge is, as PEDs become more advanced/subtle, then the testing has to try and catch up to detect – so there’s always a lag.

• Ronway

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:08 PM

The whole subject of women’s sport is really complicated; none more so than their participation and history in football.

Whatever anyone’s feelings on the subject are the England Women’s Team won the Euro 2022 title today; great result!

• DrGloom

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:18 PM

I don’t give two hoots about England, men or women’s teams ..only team I want to won something is newcastle

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:22 PM

• Ace50

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:24 PM

Back to us then 🙂 I was at both matches this weekend. Burn was faultless on Friday. Schar was good but always looks like he has an error waiting to happen. Botman was fab….so impressed with him. He could be the best we have had since Woodgate – which is high praise indeed. I cannot recall though when we have ever had 4 such strong CHs….although Lascelles is still a bit of a distant 4th re the ball-playing side of the game.

• CLINT FLICK

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:37 PM

Olympians should be forced to be as unfit as possible, with no training or coaching what so ever.
    It’s the only fair way, surely?
    😀

• Ace50

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:39 PM

That’s called the ‘Steve Bruce’ way, Clint 😉

• carltoon

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:40 PM

Aces, I thought Lascelles did really well, although not as good as Botman, he’s majestic, cool and commanding, Schar, is good too, though he’s rash, got quite a few knocks on the head last season. BDB love him, ungainly but the heart of a lion.
    We are definitely well stocked for CH.

• Ace50

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:45 PM

Carltoon. I agree re Lascelles yesterday. That was the best I have seen him play from a ball retention / distribution point of view. I am really hopeful that he can develop lots more because I really like him as a person. He will always have a special place from the way he stood up to the senior players who didn’t deserve to wear the shirt at the time.

• carltoon

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:50 PM

Aces, yes he did, but I think he’ll be back up this season, but was happy to see him playing out from the back, they’ll all have to up their game, to stay in the team, especially if we get a few more players in, which can only be good for the team, plenty of players pushing for a place in the starting line up. Keep hem motivated.

• CLINT FLICK

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:50 PM

Ace
    😀

• magicmac54

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:07 PM

B Jesus i could never do Irish Dancing like this when i was an ankle snapper 😀 😀

• Munster Mag

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:21 PM

We actually have a pile of defenders, it’s attackers we need. Keeping fingers crossed.

• A Geordie Mongrel

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:26 PM

SholaShow @87

“Stop piggybacking off the infrastructure of the men’s game”

Ronway links to the FA’s page on the history of the women’s game. Well remembering that history is written by the victors it is a very incomplete history.

Prior to World War one the women’s game was developing nicely. It took off during the war when men’s football stopped. Then due to decades of campaigning and the amazing contribution of women to the war effort some women over 30 got the vote. It would be another ten years before all women enjoyed the same voting rights as men. The misogynists at the FA were so concerned about the emerging power of women in 1921 they banned all women’s games at FA affiliated clubs. They also banned referees from officiating. It killed the women’s game overnight. That ban stood until 1971. Yes 50 years of women’s football development stopped by men. They’re not piggybacking, we (and by that I mean all men) owe them. Don’t complain about the standard of the football when men are responsible for it.

You can read a much more balanced history of the women’s game at the British Library. https://www.bl.uk/womens-rights/articles/the-history-of-womens-football-in-the-uk

• Munster Mag

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:30 PM

In Ireland the options for girls are pretty good. In my area the girls soccer is thriving, but apart from the usual stuff like basketball they have hurling ( Camogie) and gaelic football and an awful lot participate. We also have minority sports like rowing but the girls category is full. It’s brilliant, but the GAA is vital.

• Munster Mag

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:34 PM

Can’t believe how expensive Portugal has become. Its about 140/150 euro for dinner for 4, partly because my Toon supporting kid wants the adult menu. That’s beyond Irish levels!

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:44 PM

Geordie Mongrel
    and the Saudis get slated for their womens rights. England should look closer to home

• The Last Jedi

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:47 PM

Puke Edwards talking nonsense again. Saying we wont see a better England team than the womens team which won the Euros ever again

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:43 AM

A lot might not believe this but when Ms Kelly took her top off my first thought was, Oh no she is going to get a yellow card, not what a great pair of T…s.

Also she was wearing a sports bra so nothing really to see! 🙂

Honestly!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:47 AM

Munster
    It’s been a few years since we have been to Spain or Portugal but prices were on the rise even then, it’s possible to eat more cheaply in this country now I reckon!

• A Geordie Mongrel

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:30 AM

Jedi @ 115, to my complete and utter surprise I find myself in total agreement with you. Respect.

EGB, the BBC provided enough slow motion replays for the pervs in our society. As a father and grandfather to girls I am less than comfortable with it.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:58 AM

Prices are going to keep going through the roof for another decade according to some former politicians, who have less reason to lie than the current ones who need to pretend they have asecret plan to bring us out of an imminent global recession. Personally I think it could be far longer, maybe even permanent.