web analytics

Are Newcastle Setting The Stage For German U21 International?

While Eddie Howe chases two Premier League proven forwards in Chelsea’s Timo Werner and Burnley’s Maxwel Cornet, the initial plan this summer was to add a young attacker to the ranks. Though Hugo Ekitike’s move to PSG threw those plans into disarray.

Names of other young forwards have periodically hit the radar. Though none have stuck for very long with current links to young forwards practically non-existent. Most reports are now claiming that interest in Chelsea’s Armando Broja has cooled.

Sport Witness has cited some claims from Germany that Dortmund’s Ansgar Knauff is drawing interest from The Magpies, who have reportedly already made initial contact for the 20-year-old.

Knauff is currently on a year-and-a-half-long loan with Frankfurt, so a move this summer looks unlikely. Frankfurt don’t have a purchase option on him, so Newcastle could be setting the stage for a future move.

Knauff is a German U21 international who is also eligible for Ghana through his father. He primarily played on the right during his half-season with Frankfurt last term. Though he has played as a center-forward or on the left in the past.

He impressed on loan at The Waldstadion scoring 3 goals and playing provider for two others in 19 appearances. The report states his value is less than £10m, though that seems a little low.

While Knauff is on loan with Frankfurt for the upcoming campaign, his future with Dortmund is uncertain. His contract expires in 2024 so he’ll be entering his final year when his loan ends. With Newcastle making contact, he could be one to watch in future windows.

• Wor B

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:19 AM

JohnJ

I’m an experienced Teat owl handler!

🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:24 AM

Adam – nope, me neither. When you look at the types of articles that have been written about Paqueta and the language they use, they’re either fairly obviously chancers and not credible or they’re really wording it in such a way that they’re not saying very much at all other than he’s a good player, friends with Bruno, and some fans would love him to sign.

I’m a little surprised by the Maddison bid as I think RW is higher priority. I wonder if Howe thinks Almiron can really push on this season plus that would give us the likes of Joelinton and Maddison as quality players who can play out wide too.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:30 AM

Wor B – how about this for a gorgeous golf hole and a chance to get a longest distance record for one of your clubs?? 🙂

Played the Old Thorns course on Friday and Sunday. Gorgeous views!

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:32 AM

TDS

Maybe Almirons good pre season and the fact we haven’t shipped out any wingers has changed priority a bit. Almiron is doing well and then we have, Murphy, Ritchie, Fraser, ASM who are natural wingers/wide players. Then also have Joelinton and possible Willock and Andersen who could do a job as a wide forward too. So we have a lot of options out wide in the squad right now, yet not a creative midfielder or natural number 10 type player I suppose.

• greatclubNUFC

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:34 AM

On our chase for Maddison, I feel 45m maybe 50m tops is the max we should spend on him even though understandably there’s a premium for English players. I’d much rather take Paqueta for 30m to 40m (if the reports of Lyon’s asking price are true) than fork out whatever Leicester is asking (60m?) since it will kinda strengthen leicester plus we can also save some funds.
    I would not be happy at all if we got Maddision at say -55m or 60m and then Leicester goes and get Paqueta for 35m.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:37 AM

On Pacqueta

I reckon it’s more a case of we are interested in him but he’s made it clear he wants to join a Prem club in the Champs Lge.

Just because he’s Bruno’s mate doesn’t influence the decision to play Champs Lge football or for a team likely to win more trophies than us.

And…

Why would Werner come here to play second fiddle to Wilson? Unless EH wants to play him wide right or part of a front two I reckon it’s just paper talk.

• Wor B

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:37 AM

TDS

Looks like I’d need to carry my rescue club to play that course.

I call it a rescue club, but it’s more commonly known as a chain saw.

😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:37 AM

Adam – I think Anderson is a number 10 type player isn’t he? Joelinton can play that role but also out wide and Bruno seems capable of playing all roles in central midfield. I’ll never object to players like Ritchie or Murphy staying in the squad as I’d rather have them than not but if they stay, I’d be upset to see them getting many minutes as I think we need much better. I expect Fraser to stay but I still think we’re short for wide attackers.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:39 AM

On what we sign players for…

I couldn’t give a chuff what we pay – and I don’t understand why fans do.

If EH wants the player and the club are prepared to pat the asking price that’s good enough for me.

It aint my money.

• jasper

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Martoon

Final League Position = 6th
    No of Points = 63
    Goals Scored =60
    League Cup Entry 5 QF
    FA Cup Entry 6th
    Player of the Season = Bruno
    Top Goal Scorer = Wilson
    Number of Goals scored by TGS = 16

• Toon_Barmy

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:43 AM

Anyone else get the feeling we were trying our luck with Leicester at £40mill and since it was rejected without negotiation we will simply move on to the next target? It’s one thing getting value for money and another paying a players worth

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM

Wor B – yeah, lots of trees and quite a bit of water too! All 3 of the balls I lost were in the water!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:47 AM

Bills Son – I 100% agree. I don’t claim to be an expert in valuing football players and I don’t have an inside view of the club’s finances and plans, so I don’t care. I work every day with budgets and ROI, I have very little interest in that side of thing with my football club.

All I care about is a good team.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:47 AM

Toon_Barmy – we have no idea if there’s any negotiation or not. Just as we have no idea why it became public knowledge. We can only speculate what’s going on.

• simon376

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:48 AM

Mund
    Nothing 100% yet, but texting Gavin last night and I mentioned my weight loss and how I should attempt to play again, he said we need to get that game sorted. So lets hope it can be pulled off

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:49 AM

TDS

I think we’re short of genuine quality on the wings, but not short of options overall. If anything i’d say in terms of players who can play there, it’s one of our strongest positions. Just not in terms of quality. Number 10 type players I feel we’re short of, Willock potentially though isn’t someone you associate with defence splitting passes, Andersen but he’s only now getting a run in the team and that’s about it. So definitely need a creative centeral midfielder or number 10 in my opinion. I’d still say that and striker just edge it over a winger.

Bills

My guess on Werner would definitely be to play wide in a front 3. Wilson, Werner and ASM. Which would be harsh on Miggy but can’t argue with that front 3 and i’m sure we’d see rotation between Miggy and any of those 3.

• Wor B

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:49 AM

Yeah, it’s not a good look turning up for a round of golf in a wet suit wielding a chain saw.

• Romford mag

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:51 AM

Wor

I’d keep what you do behind closed doors off of here mate !!

😆

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:54 AM

Adam – I think we have enough decent options in the centre to create chances so my presence would definitely be someone on the right side. But if Howe is thinking Almiron can be the man this season, I’m all good with having Fraser as his backup and maybe other options like Joelinton and maybe even Maddison, if he signs.

I know we need more creativity and goal threat but even a blind man would know that!

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Some say:
    The richest club in the world are we
     And we don’t give a shit about FFP
    The new owners we have won’t foot about
    ‘When you know, you know’ and I have no doubt

Others say:
    But we’re still buying players from fkn Burnley
    Like we would if we still had fat Mike Ashley
    We still won’t pay the going rate
    Just buy Paqueta before it’s too fkn late

In summary:
    We know we’re better off than we were last year
    There’s nobody saying “au contraire”
    There’s just a little frustration and a bit of whining
    Cos we expected to have made that ‘statement signing’

I think we’ll get what we need to have a good season
    And aside from signings there’s another good reason
    Why things are much more promising now
    We’re not starting with Bruce, we have Super Eddie Howe

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:56 AM

Wor B – too true! Chainsaw not needed yesterday thankfully! Wetsuit would have been helpful for 1 of the lost balls but the other two disappeared into dry ditches (red posts) and I’d lost sight of them so just couldn’t find the buggers. Funnily enough, I think I won 2 of those holes and halved the other! My opponent played them even worse than me!

• Ronway

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM

ZG – #151

I like your comment – “Also you could theoretically end up with the Global champion being in league 3!”

Doubt it will happen; although if England can beat Germany anything is possible.

🙂

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:59 AM

TDS

We’ll agree to disagree on that part, I think we don’t have a decent creative/attacking option centrally at all. Think about our wide players we at the very least have ASM who is top level. We don’t have anyone close to his kind of impact from a central position. Number 10 isn’t Bruno’s role, so even though he can pick a pass and score, that’s not where he’s playing. So we don’t have anyone is our squad as far as i’m concerned who’s got genuine quality in that advanced midfield or number 10 role. We haven’t had someone like that for years.

At least With ASM out wide we have that quality and Miggy is starting to show sings of providing more threat.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Adam – should we just have a blazing row about how you’re full of crap and know nothing about football and I’m a plastic fan who gets all of my information from Twitter? Or something like that anyway… 😉

• Tinos Vino

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Morning all. Firstly well done the lioness’s. They should be very proud of themselves.

Having two daughters ( as well as a son)makes you look at life differently and trust me if anyone ever started telling them they were rubbish compared to men they would have me to get through first!

Can we not just celebrate them doing well and be proud of them without all the petty point scoring.

Times have changed and still need to change a hell of a lot more.

Right now i have that off my chest 🙂 all we know really is the club are still trying to sign players and they are trying to sign them to a system of play. We do need a mobile, intensive striker. After that lets just leave it to the experts 🙂

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:06 AM

TDS

haha it’s tempting! Especially as I opened the door to a Bruno debate I think by suggesting he’s not that creative midfielder, oops! Bruno has the ability to assist and score, we’ve all seen that during his time here. But he isn’t a number 10 and I’d argue he’s most effective in that pivot role. Winning the ball back, spraying it about and breaking forward when the timing and chance is right. He’s been effective coming from a deeper role and joining the attacks. Someone like Maddison in the more advanced areas will get picked out by Bruno between the lines all day and then can break defences down better and easier. Plus Bruno would still have license to get forward and join the attacks anyway, as he has been doing to great effect.

We’ve been crying for a number 10/creative attacking midfielder for years and I really hope we sign one this window.

• scott

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM

Interesting owl fact (or maybe not!) 😀

Everyone says the “wise old owl” in books,films,cartoons etc but it’s a myth!

They have one of the smallest brains of birds of prey due to how much scull space their eyes take up!
    They are pretty dumb to work with to be honest!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:13 AM

Adam – It’s tough to know what is in Howe’s mind regarding some of our players and therefore what players we need. Especially in central midfield. What are his plans for all of them regarding their roles this season? The same applies at RW. Has he been convinced that Almiron & Fraser are good enough options there?

We’ll only know when the season has started and then the window closes…

I suspect the likes of you and I will just be happy as long as we sign at least 1 more attacking player but ideally 2.

• bill smith

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:17 AM

MORNING all have we signed anyone yet ?

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:22 AM

TDS

Yeah it will be interesting if we do sign 1 or 2 attacking players as well. Will we stick to 4-3-3 or slightly change to accomodate whoever we sign? I like to think he’s stick to 4-3-3 personally. I think central midfield is almost Joelinton and Bruno guarantee’d and then a healthy competition for the last spot. Shelvey, Willock and Longstaff to battle it out. Each bring their own advantages and disadvantages so can switch between them depending on the game. Unless we sign a Maddison type for example who then may make that 3rd spot their own.

Miggy you’d imagine has done enough in pre season to start the season at right wing and then it’s his to lose. Howe seems to reward good performances, like when Krafth was still keeping his spot for a while when Trippier came back. So imagine Miggy will be starting there even if we sign a winger. He also seems to be a fan of Fraser but he isn’t the answer going forward.

Ideally 2 attacking players, but i’d be more than happy if only 1 came in too.

• bill smith

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:26 AM

We need a couple of offensive players just remember the 5 subs rule comes into force this coming season. Please no more defenders we have enough

• bill smith

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Forwards*

• DrGloom

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:29 AM

Not sure why people are bringing up the womens game and why the F.A held them back, they get paid pretty well now given the product they dish out. If we’re going back to the 40’s and onwards there’s a whole ton of wrongs and most a lot worse than to women playing football… we can’t all be held account for things that happened in the past – sure it was bad but nowt to do with this generation or even the previous

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:34 AM

DrGloom – you mean the product that recently sold out Wembley and had millions of people watching on TV? Sounds like a pretty good product to me.

What I don’t get is why some people keep comparing it to the men’s game. There are plenty of very successful and exciting female athletes over the years who have inspired the nation. Jessica Ennis? Sally Gunnell?

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:57 AM

TDS I love Old Thorns, Played it a lot. That par 4 with hole 40ft above your head! I take it your long drive was the one from about 100ft above fairway with view of the South Downs.

1 3 4 5