web analytics

Newcastle To Continue Negotiations For New Top Target – Report

Newcastle will continue negotiations with Leicester City over top target James Maddison in the coming days, according to Craig Hope with The Mail.

The Magpies hope a compromise can be found but will not approach Leicester’s reported asking price of £60m.

Most outlets have reported that a bid of £40m was rejected over the weekend. Though Hope states the offer was a structured one of £35m, which came nowhere near Leicester’s valuation.

Maddison was involved in Leicester’s 1-0 win over Sevilla yesterday. He provided the assist on Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall’s match-winner. After the match, Brendan Rodgers responded to questions on his attacking midfielder’s future by saying:

“He’s still very much a player here. Naturally, the players are sought after because they are talents.

“You see his performance, you see how happy he is and he’s not a player we want to sell. It’s not for me to put valuations on the players, it’s not my side, but that might just cover three-quarters of his left leg, that price. He’s a top player.”

Leicester are the only top-flight club with no new recruits this summer. They are also a prime hunting ground right now with Maddison, Youri Tielemans, Wesley Fofana, and Harvey Barnes linked with moves elsewhere. Newcastle have reportedly enquired about Tielemans and Barnes.

Negotiations are expected to proceed in the coming days with some reports claiming Maddison is interested in the move. Newcastle are going to have to significantly improve their offer for Leicester to be tempted.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:17 PM

Ruddy – I’m all for pragmatism, which is why I’ve disagreed with a few on here regarding our goals for next season. I see top 4 as virtually impossible (note, not actually impossible just very unlikely) and top 6 would be a massive outside bet too. I’m with you that we need to be competing in that 7-10th space but our squad is currently just behind the curve to say we’ll definitely get it. A quality signing or 2 in the forward ranks will put us right in the mix alongside the likes of Leicester, West Ham and Villa though, and hopefully we have the class to be the best of the rest!

I’m convinced we’ll sign at least 1 player, I just think it’s very hard to sign the calibre of player of the likes of Maddison. Still hoping it happens.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:19 PM

The English GK had a brilliant game, her gender has nowt to do with it.

• Vask

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:21 PM

Nor does her nationality.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:21 PM

Just noticed that the wording of the first policy has changed and there’s a new policy too: “Creating alternate accounts will result in an immediate ban of all accounts”. No more annoying alts! 🙂

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Luke Edwards claiming we’ve lodged a second bid of £45m for Maddison, with staggered payments.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Nor does her position.

Errrrr….what?

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Sorry, ‘in excess of £45m’

• JohnJ

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:23 PM

Mund,

Some Bugga tried to charge a substantial 4 figure amount from my Credit Card – fortunately I twigged there was a “Rabbit” away and called my bank to stop the transactions!

You need to be on the ball in more ways than one!

• Vask

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:25 PM

TDs

That was my next statement.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:25 PM

Apparently Maddison really wants the move and doesn’t get on with Rodgers anymore.

If that’s the case then surely a deal can be done and the fact about Leicester’s financials and needing to sell to buy could all play in our favour.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:27 PM

JohnJ

They are more clever with how they try to do it nowadays and I’m not surprised that some get duped.

Glad you managed to be on top of it tho mate as that would of been a hard hit.

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:27 PM

Sorry but the news is now starting to make us sound as coming off as cheap…my friend, my friend…I give you good deal. I am sure behind the scenes it is different and we do need to be smart with our money but need to be realistic that some of these prices just are what they are. You want a Sesko, Diaby, Paqueta, Maddison…etc…don’t try to skimp and blow the deal over a few million if it realistically may be worth it.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:28 PM

TDS

The only area in which I disagree is that I wouldn’t place us 7th – 10th but rather outside the top 8 currently but would say we’d be 7th – 10th with further attacking reinforcements. In any case, we’re destined for a much better season ahead without dreaded relegation looming over us for any part of the season so that’s a huge bonus!

Let’s hope for a little bit more activity in the market ahead of Saturday! HWTL

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:30 PM

Though it should be said that if we somehow managed to pull off the Maddison signing then I’d more than happily alter my opinion as I think he’s a top top player and one who would instantly transform us in the final third.

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:30 PM

I work for an airline with a Union and negotiations always befound me. We all know that we are going to meet in the middle yet both sides start so far apart and it takes ages to get to that middle ground where everyone knew it would end up anyway…just depends on the market at the given time on which side gets the better end of the deal as far as timing goes….sometimes you play it right, sometimes you don’t…just get it done. 😉

• lochinvar

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:33 PM

For England’s second goal it all came together in the right way. The ball bounced up perfectly from the pass allowing the striker an easier up and over trajectory to lobb over the rushing keeper. If the ball had struck to the deck then it was a different strike, maybe a foul and penalty. Fine margins.

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:35 PM

It’s interesting because our business tends to be very hush hush when we get it done. Only Botman and Ekitike really was public knowledge and that was due to us being interested in January. The rest have been relatively kept quiet and bids never really made public.

So my only concern is that these leaks are from Maddisons camp in hopes of a new contract. Hopefully that’s not the case though and we’re pushing for it to happen, with the player keen and a deal can be found.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM

Ruddy – I agree. What I said is that I believe our squad is just behind where it needs to be to be very confident that we’ll get 7th-10th. I still think we’ll sign 1 or 2 more attacking players and give us the confidence that we’ll get top half but I think we’d need players to play our of their skins to get top 6.

Still 4 weeks to go before the window closes and we know how many deals get done late on too so plenty of time.

And I couldn’t agree more. We’re talking realistically about finishing 11th or 12th as a relatively poor season as we believe they should be pushing on for a top half finish. Not being in the relegation discussion will be a big relief!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM

Loch

That was the 1st goal!

The second was the carbon copy of the Bruno one last season.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:39 PM

Barcelona are broke and can’t even afford to pay the 17M owed to De Jong but are Europe’s biggest spenders…

Bringing in all these top players and realising to pay a player and even demand he takes a pay cut…

Unbelievable Jeff!

FFP pffffft

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:39 PM

Refusing*

• lochinvar

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:39 PM

Some of us have had a go at Maddison in the past which is probably good because he’s been combative and irritating. Clearly he’s a battle hardened pro and like Targett, Trippier and Burn knows what the Premier League’s about.
    I look forward to him wearing the stripes, he knows what’s needed and will add a steel and purpose to our play.
    Remember how we loved Nolan, Barton, Milner and others for their bite. Better on our side giving the likes of Ronaldo something to think about than us being on the receiving end.

Makes a lot of sense.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:40 PM

TDS

A 11th or 12th finish would mean that we will probably be flirting with the relegation zone.

Top 6 keeps us clear.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:41 PM

AnyToon – negotiations do not have to be like that, not by a long shot. That’s the old-fashioned car dealer mentality and thankfully it’s not the way most deals work. They’re also much more complicated that they used to be. I’m sure back in the day that most player transfers were simple exchange of money, but then someone came up with staggered payments, extra fees for certain milestones, then agent’s fees, complex contracts for the player, image rights etc.

I’d say that most of the so called negotiation that becomes public is just for show.

• lochinvar

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:41 PM

Essex
    Hi!
    So it was.
    Teacher always said I didn’t concentrate enough.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM

Mund

One law for certain clubs syndrome!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:44 PM

EGB – I still say top 6 would require lots of our players to play out of their skins and for us to be lucky with injuries, suspensions etc. Palace finished 12th last season but were never seriously in the relegation discussion and both Wolves and Brighton finished ahead of us by 2 points and were never in that discussion either.

I still believe we’ll make a signing or two and get 7th-10th though.

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:44 PM

To be honest, i’m not the biggest fan of Maddison based on his pathetic dive against us to win a penalty. But I appreciate he’s a superb player and would help us to no end. Also that’s just bias on my end because he done it against us. Miggy has dived a few times in games and even got booked for it and i love him as he’s ours haha So I can look past Maddison’s dive against us if he signed.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM

EGB

Seems that way doesn’t it mate.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM

EGB

Palace finished 12th, Villa finished 14th, yet neither were really involved in a relegation scrap whereas we finished 11th and Brentford 13th with both only being safe with around 5/6 games to go, so it can go either way.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM

See the Germans are now accusing the England ladies team of cheating. What a sour bunch.

Glad we beat them – and it was a very good game as well.

“Guten tag Fritz vot vos zee score yesterday when zee fraulines ver playing zee English tommies”.

• Mund

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM

I can’t stand Maddison but if he signs for the toon I’ll end up loving him…

😆

Fickle world is football…

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM

He can redeem himself here, if he signs for us and helps us improve then that’ll make up for diving to win a penalty against us haha

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:56 PM

Mr Tuff

They were definitely getting worked up over the time wasting by our lasses, but they’d have been the same, so pure sour grapes!

I loved the reaction by the English player when the German lass smashed the ball into her midriff as she returned the ball, a big grin and walked away!

• Adamn_92

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:56 PM

Bet Shearer will be feeling pretty smug sat opposite Lineker in the match of the day studio each week, if Maddison joins and has a blinder.

• onmeedsun

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:00 PM

Just don’t understand why our transfer payments have to be staggered. Yes I understand it represents good cashflow mgt, but makes no difference to FFP and PIF have no shortage of cash. So if by paying up front gets the deal done at the right price as the selling club is short of cash, then do the deal. Doesn’t mean you have to do it for all deals. But for some reason PIF don’t want to loan the club money, hence the bank loan. Not sure why.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:00 PM

TDS/Ruddy

I’m pretty sure that all of the teams mentioned did get close to the relegation zone, same with Everton and Leeds, both looked to be cruising but ended up panicking towards the end.

8th and upwards at Christmas will be relatively safe 10th and below will be looking over their shoulders.

• AnyToon in Indiana