web analytics

Newcastle’s Second Maddison Bid Rejected As Early Work On Another Target In Jeopardy

Leicester City have officially rejected Newcastle’s latest offer for James Maddison. The bid, which various reports have anywhere from £40-50m, did not come close to matching Maddison’s £60m price tag, especially considering it was a staggered offer.

Sky Sports’ Keith Downie has issued the following update with Newcastle now forced to regroup on whether to make another offer or move on to other targets.

For any offer to be accepted, Newcastle are just going to have to go for broke with the bulk of the fee paid upfront. Leicester must sell before buying and would also need significant funds on hand to replace their playmaker

In other news, early work on Burnley’s Maxwel Cornet may come to naught. Sky Sports is reporting that West Ham have entered initial talks for the 25-year-old, who has a £17.5m release clause.

Before bidding for Maddison this past weekend, Newcastle started negotiations for Cornet. Reports claimed a structured deal similar to the one reached for Nick Pope was being discussed with the eventual outlay surpassing his release clause amount.

West Ham have now jumped in for the Ivorian, who was held out of Burnley’s 1-0 win at Huddersfield on Saturday. Everton also held talks earlier in the window but were unable to reach an agreement.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:04 PM

Itunderashell

Whether we pay the fee up front or in installments, the impact it has on FFP is the same. The only difference is on cashflow. By all means defend the approach of the club if you want, but let’s use factually correct information to do so.

G

Again, that is your own interpretation of events that may or may not be true. What we do know, without speculation, is that we have made two fairly paltry bids for Maddison and are now debating whether to up our offer. If the initial bids were to low-ball them to see how flexible they were with a view to increasing it as part of a negotiation, then surely we wouldn’t countenance walking away from the table? If we walk away now it’s because we’ve internally valued Maddison at £40m and that to me is bonkers.

• jane

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:05 PM

“It’s not as easy as going into your local shop and buying a pack of Haribo mix…”

what if you are not prepared to pay full price for the Haribos?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:06 PM

Whoa – whats going on with this post – certainly an insult and possible a competition open to bloggers, a guess where the Boon Ale outfit is.

SirRhosis

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:19 PM

Wor B @127.
    Would that be Tuffers Wonder Woman outfit stashed in the back of his closet?

I’ve got my Broon Bottle outfit somewhere I know. Just can’t remember where I took it off”

I’ll take a stab at where you left your outfit – was it at the local gay club or in some perves’ bondage dungeon.

• theartfuldodger

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:07 PM

I am beginning to doubt the veracity of all news now.

For all you know, we offered 60m but Leicester want 80m.

If the stories are true, about offering 40m, and then walking away, then it makes us look bad. We cant low ball and move on. On our books we barely have 3 to 4 players who might fit in a top 6 side. In the next 2 to 3 years we need another 6 to 7, else even these few will leave. If our strategy is to be slow, then we need not bother with top class talent. Lets go for the kind of talent a West Ham would get.

• Davas

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:08 PM

The cliche of a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay for him may come into play for him. If Leicester need to sell and Maddison wants to come and nobody else is interested then maybe 40m is all they will likely get for him so they’ll have to decide whether to sell at that price.

• Toon fans bad

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM

I don’t think we can make a judgement just yet as negotiations are ongoing and the deal structure offered is unknown to us. Probably all come down to how badly Howe thinks he needs him right now as the project will have a progress timeline no doubt. There’s always January!

• The Last Jedi

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:11 PM

Mister Tuff probably has toffee teeth and should be called Mister Toffee

• lochinvar

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:11 PM

Paying a chunk upfront now and0p
    Zee Zeros Zeros Rd gthe balance in April which is a new Financial Year surely for FFP rules seems reasonable.

• The Last Jedi

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:12 PM

I wish they still sold Toffo in UK shops. Lots of nice sweets they dont sell nomore

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:12 PM

Tfb

All judgement should be left till the window shuts mate

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:13 PM

Leicester have to sell big if they want to buy…

They only have two players who can bring in £40M+ fees…

We know no other club is in for Maddison…

All indications are he want the move…

So we offer £40M then c£45M…

WE not Leicester are in the driving seat…

WE can spend £40M on another player – they can’t…

The ball is now firmly in their court…

It’s call negotiation and brinkmanship…

My opinion is still…

If a deal isn’t done by Monday it’s off.

I think it will be.

• The Last Jedi

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM

Timeout was nice until they changed it to more wafers
    No Toffo.
    No Cadburys Rich Tea anymore.
    Also loved Kelloggs Ricicles but idiots at Kelloggs stopped doing them.
    They ruined Sugar Puffs.

• lochinvar

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM

Bloody fingers. You get the gist

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM

I think a deal WILL be done.

• theartfuldodger

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM

Bills,

Its possible that negotiations go on a hiatus for a few weeks. It may return in the last week or 10 days if no other bids come in or based on Leicesters other transfer business

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:27 PM

theartfuldodger

Leicester, especially, can’t afford to wait that long.

Until they sell big they can’t make any decent signings and leaving it to the last few days of the window will put them in a poor position.

That’s why I think this deal will be defo on or off by mid next week absolute latest.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:29 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:04 PM

Newcastle has a very limited revenue stream and will be building it up over the coming seasons to remain in compliance with FFP rules. If we go gung ho and blow our CASHFLOW this window rather than in increments over a longer period we will be in deep trouble. All clubs are well aware of this and I agree it is needed to save many clubs from bankruptcy.
    We are not even in year 2 under with our new owners and I trust them to step through this financial minefield, limbs intact. and take our club to the top of the league.
    We have not really begun to look seriously at the revenue stream side of the club but I am certain Mr Eales is in place to attract that revenue and then contract with better players. Time and patience is all that is required to hit those achievements and put Newcastle on top of the world.

• SholaShow

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:30 PM

If Fofana goes to Chelsea I think that will scupper any further attempt for us to get Maddison.

Fofana is also much easier to replace.

It’s a complex situation and time is of the essence.

Maddison has had issues in the past, so he may be more of a risk to keep if unhappy, but then he may just be purely money motivated (no crime as long as you’re professional) and he doesn’t really care either way if he gets £150k pw there or here.

• SholaShow

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:32 PM

That’s another issue.

Maddison is already on £100k pw, we’re apparently wary of breaking the wage structure.

If they sell Fofana and with Kasper gone, they could offer him £150k pw.

Which is why it’s essential we get in there before any Fofana sale happens.

• SholaShow

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:35 PM

We might be in the strong position now, but the Fofana sale flips that on it’s head.

Then they really would be in a position to demand Grealish money, as of right now we have the opportunity to get top-class PL talent for market value.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:37 PM

Ruddy

While i get some part of what you’re saying ie you’re frustrated and impatient for product… all I’m saying is: “us it our fault” that clubs wanna gouge?
    It’s not like you’ve displayed, like, one incy wincy jot of patience, from the get go, is it?
    It’s ok bud, you’re the impatient type, it takes all sorts to mske a world…but don’t pretend it eas different at the start of tge window. It’s an observation bro, not a criticism.
    Kerp the faith!

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:38 PM

Oh dear, please excuse my rubbish phone typos.

I beg of thee!!!
    😉

• Wor B

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:40 PM

Apologies for the repetition, but we’re getting close to deadline…

FPL update

Only 2 of the original 18 are left to register the code on H2H D3…

chancel be a fine thing
    catchy in Norway

The late application from Gillmag has been processed, and the code sent out by Neil.

If all join before the deadline, we will have 19 in D3, meaning each week one player will play against a dummy ID which will have been awarded the average FPL score for that week.

• scott

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:49 PM

Il hold my judgment of this window until it’s all over & see where we are!

I’m really happy with the rebuild up to this point but this Maddison deal IF reports are true is the type of stuff we would crucify Charnley for!

The calibre of player being chased is perfect in both age & ability but it doesn’t come cheap!

• Gosforthlad

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:53 PM

Evening all,

On the Maddison bid in my opinion we will either sign him and meet the fee eventually or it is a smokescreen to try and force another clubs hand into selling a key player.
    I mean he have the top brass team working on deals and I believe it’s like a game of chess with strategic moves to get checkmate.

Really starting to look forward to Saturday already and hopefully an announcement on a couple of deals

Rewind 12 months and just think how much better off we are now.
    Trust the process relax and enjoy the ride it’s going to make you smile.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:01 PM

Clint

You’ve picked me up all wrong, and if you have me down as the impatient type I’d suggest going through my previous comments on our transfer business which very much suggests otherwise. My frustration is not in the lack of incoming players – if the window closed right now I would say that we’ve improved as a squad and are on course for a top 10 finish. In fact, I have recently written a True Faith article outlining how that would do just fine by me.

My frustration is in the manner in which we have gone about our recent search for an attacking player which is now aptly demonstrated by the approach to this Maddison transfer. We don’t get to tell Leicester that Maddison is only worth £40m. The dogs on the street could tell you that £40m ain’t going to buy you Maddison. And I entirely appreciate that we may not have the budget to stretch beyond that sum, but the burning question then becomes: why even bother bidding for Maddison in the first place then?

Our early window strategy of identifying a young up-and-coming winger/ST 19-21 years of age around the £20m mark seemed like the sensible strategy. But since Ekitike snubbed us we’ve turned our attention to PL experience and been unwilling to pay the (often overpriced) sums quoted – fair enough. However, £50-£60m for Maddison is not price gouging, it’s not having our trousers taken down, it’s the fair market value for a game-changing signing.

If we don’t go in with a 3rd bid, it confirms that internally we’ve valued Maddison at £40m, which then opens up the questions as to the reliability of our decision making internally if a player of his undoubted quality is valued so cheaply.

None of this dismisses the fact that I think the owners have done a stellar job since coming to the club and have gotten pretty much every decision right – until now. They enjoy a tremendous amount of goodwill and will have a huge margin of error from the fanbase because at least they’re trying something and pushing for progress. They will make mistakes along the way, and unless we get Maddison over the line, this will go down as a pretty big one in my books.

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:04 PM

As I said earlier it seems to me the players top of our lists we go hard, fast and quietly for ……the rest are there’s our offer not that arsed if we miss out. If ffp were the reason we are seemingly cautious, how do press explain West Ham, villa and forest? If we really want somebody we will get em IMO ala botman. We obvs weren’t arsed about Carlos (this window) cornet and the Watford duo seem way down the list ……I’m gonna stick my neck out and give3 names paqueta, Diaby, Calvert Lewin …..I reckon these may be our top choices and if we fail with the likes of Maddison and Harrison ….I’m sure works been going on behind the scenes and we go in hard and fast and something happens. When necessary pif will pay what is required no doubt ……wood, guimareche and botman (aswell as accepted bid for ekitike) …..if they are really sold on the player.

• magicmac54

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:04 PM

Scott@64 and Gosforthlad@65

Well said lads, i totally agree with all aspects of your posts, it`s a magical time to be an Newcastle fan, lets all just trust the process and have 100% faith in the owners, and last but not least just enjoy the Journey HWTL

• IrishRob

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:05 PM

Itunderashell, up front payment definitely isn’t the issue because clubs can use staggered payments as collateral to get a loan for it all up front with very little interest fees if they needed the money ASAP.

• magicmac54

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM

Just started there at 7pm Folks HWTL

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM

Aye magic
    We could be here talking about choudry and Kennedy instead of Maddison, paqueta and Werner. Lol.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM

Ruddy

Ok mate, ta for that…and your cool attitude in your response, appreciated.

I’d say: we have zero real clue how these negotiations are going, and in some cases, whether they even exist.
    Taking the word(ha) of ANY journo(pppffft) is like believing a tory, don’t do it.
    So, ALL we can actually do is sit tight and wait…chat shut about it if we care to, but mostly, that’s what we’re doing, me also, not particular to any person. We’re all in the dark. But enjoy the ride mate.

Thanks for the response mate.
    😉

• Bambams

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me if we are just playing with Lyon re looking at Maddison to get a lower price for Paqueta.

Then use the rest on Sesko/similar and possibly a loan/buy for a winger as long as its in instalments.

No way are we borrowing £100 million (if reports are accurate) to leave under the NUFC mattress.

Just my thoughts chaps

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:11 PM

Bambam
    Great minds m8

• Munster Mag

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:12 PM

Ruddy and Shola, good posts.

A lot of excuse making going on here. We don’t have the whip hand here. They will probably sell fofana and be cash rich. We are trying to buy an asset worth about 60 mill

We need to make a hit in the market

Paying 50-60 million is not getting your pants pulled down.

Offer proper money for proper players and stop playing the Saudi poor mouth.

• IrishRob

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:13 PM

I think its safe to say Catchy won’t be signing up to the h2h league. That lad is only around once in a blue moon, we might not even see him for the next month.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:14 PM

Clint

As frustrated as I may be coming across in my posts, I’m not at boiling point, don’t worry mate haha

Overall, I am reasonably happy with what we have done so far and as Munster mentioned earlier, I would rate our transfer dealings a bit better than he would and say we’ve had a 6.5/10 window so far. I think most of us would have expected at least 1 attacking signing before the start of the new season, and to say otherwise would hardly be believeable.

Like I say, if the window closed now, I still reckon we’ve enough for 9th/10th, which alongside good possession-based football is a platform to build on and would do me just fine.

But like I say, we haven’t covered ourselves in glory on this Maddison deal but I am willing to see how it all plays out over the coming days/weeks before making a final judgement.

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Munster
    Chelsea won’t be paying 80 mill in a down payment ….they exploit the loan market so the loaners effectively buy their player, buy to let.

• IrishRob

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Does anyone know if Jail is continuing on the with fantasy football this year? Has he signed up to the classic league?

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM

All these issues and problems mentioned are all fuelled by the fans…