web analytics

Newcastle’s Second Maddison Bid Rejected As Early Work On Another Target In Jeopardy

Leicester City have officially rejected Newcastle’s latest offer for James Maddison. The bid, which various reports have anywhere from £40-50m, did not come close to matching Maddison’s £60m price tag, especially considering it was a staggered offer.

Sky Sports’ Keith Downie has issued the following update with Newcastle now forced to regroup on whether to make another offer or move on to other targets.

For any offer to be accepted, Newcastle are just going to have to go for broke with the bulk of the fee paid upfront. Leicester must sell before buying and would also need significant funds on hand to replace their playmaker

In other news, early work on Burnley’s Maxwel Cornet may come to naught. Sky Sports is reporting that West Ham have entered initial talks for the 25-year-old, who has a £17.5m release clause.

Before bidding for Maddison this past weekend, Newcastle started negotiations for Cornet. Reports claimed a structured deal similar to the one reached for Nick Pope was being discussed with the eventual outlay surpassing his release clause amount.

West Ham have now jumped in for the Ivorian, who was held out of Burnley’s 1-0 win at Huddersfield on Saturday. Everton also held talks earlier in the window but were unable to reach an agreement.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM

Munster
    I do agree we have came in lite with some offers …..which makes me think along the lines of bam bam.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Ruddy

Fair enough mate.
    Negotiations, huh?

No rules, it’ll all come out in the wash, bro’.

• Munster Mag

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Bambams, it could indeed be a game to get Paqueta. Hope so.

But the same principles apply. If you want top quality, there is little point offering 20mill South of what is needed.

• Romford mag

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM

Nap

I’m disappointed mate !!

Not a word to the others about broon!!

😉 😆

• Small World

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM

Lots of strange ideas kicking around about a players work / value.

Maddison is actually only worth £10 million if that is what is bid and we are the only bidders. The market value of any asset can only what a buyer is willing to play.

Of course the seller does not have to sell at that price. Leicester will sell once they see a sum necessary to help them bring in a replacement and presumably have enough left over to help further buys. Why sell one proven player for say £50m and buy an unproven replacement for the same price?

The price is out there some where, our negotiators simply haven’t found it yet

There is a lot of conjecture about what has been asked by Leicester and what we have bid. I wonder if any of the journalists were in the room whilst negotiations were taking place?

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM

Some on here actually believe they could do a better job than Ashworth and talk like it’s simple…

God help us

• Small World

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM

* worth / value

• lochinvar

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:19 PM

Journos are having a quiet day.
    Now they reckon Everton and West Ham are in for Cornet.
    As original as the last time they dug the same story out on nervous other players.
    Yawn.

• lochinvar

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:20 PM

Numerous

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:21 PM

Who goes in and offers what they ask?

This is why it’s called negotiations.
    Unless it’s first come, first served.
    It’s football, the player will decide, ultimately!
    The money is a secondary benefit!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:21 PM

Does expressing an opinion on transfer dealings automatically mean that person thinks they can do Ashworth’s job better than he can?

By that logic any negative opinion you happen to express on any footballer automatically means that you think you’re a better Premier League football than whoever it is you’re expressing an opinion on.

Safe to say that that logic doesn’t quite hold up.

• lochinvar

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:22 PM

Small world

Nope.
    They were visiting Fantasy Island.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:22 PM

I negotiate in stores ffs!
    😀

Shy bairns get nowt!

• DeanToon88

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:23 PM

If we lose out on cornet that’s another fail by the owners. at 17m he is a steal and a good player. 17m is pocket money for most premier league clubs and adds options that we don’t have…

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:23 PM

I wasn’t even talking about you fella

Wind that neck back in

I’ve told you before I don’t even read your posts so it wasn’t intended for you but I imagine from the reaction it fits

• Munster Mag

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:23 PM

Some on here are mention Haribos in the same breath. It’s great to read guys who rightly value the owners, like Ruddy and Shola, but can form an opinion on what they see and verbalise it.

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:24 PM

“It’s about getting the right player in, not the speed we get them in”

Eddie Howe

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:26 PM

Didn’t say you were talking about me, I was challenging the logic of your statement in general in as non-confrontational a way as I possibly could. I’m not always having a go.

• Arthur Romsdale

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:27 PM

Cornet would be a nice bench filler provided we signed someone else who starts. He certainly wouldn’t help push us up the table as a starter.

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:30 PM

Logic sticks as a lot on here talk like it’s the easiest thing in the world and seem to have all the answers and just add another 10M on and we will be good 🙄

Nobody knows a thing.

All problems, issues, reasons of why we haven’t signed any attackers have been made up by the fans and there is not one shed of evidence that supports any of it.

I think many have forgotten previous transfer windows and how it was. I certainly haven’t

• Bambams

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:31 PM

Naptoon

Time will tell matey, just my thoughts

Munster

I am chilled mate, got a long time to go and you know as well as me fella, more deals happen in the last few days – it’s just the way the window works.

Just dont think we would of loaned the £100 million unless we knew who we think we can get, agents are in the know.

Let’s see where we are at the close of window, but we will improve and then again in the Jan window I would think.

Have a great evening all !

• magicmac54

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:33 PM

Naptoon@71

100% Naptoon mate, we have come a long long way in such a short space of time, i might be in a minority of one, but i honestly think we as a club are already well ahead of schedule HWTL

• check the toastie

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM

Need to chill out a bit lads. Remember where we’ve come from eh. On the way up.
    Just worth ignoring the rumours. Nobody really knows whats going on. Just enjoy the new season and the current players.
    And yer never know we might have a couple of purples in over next few weeks.
    Maddison might sign in Jan once Leicester are safe for 30million. Would accept that now

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM

Rom
    Alreet Mara tbf m8 I’ve been dipping in and out and skipping …..but you being in Romford have an excuse and may just of needed a nudge lol ….. most who talk about it have never tried it ha “bottle of dog and a half pint glass” gets you some funny looks around the world …..are you in the ffl m8

• theartfuldodger

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:35 PM

Ruddy,

Maybe this bid is what it is…An attempt to low ball a club in a seemingly precarious position…Maybe we dont really value Maddison at 40m (àssuming news stories are true).

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:35 PM

There’s one thing we’ll agree on: no one knows a thing.

I for one am not speaking with any certainty as to what has gone on as to why we haven’t reinforced up front. I have proferred my opinion on what looks like low-balling for a top-tier player by offering well under value and that if we walk away from this deal, it looks like we’ve valued Maddison at £40m which is a big mistake and a waste of everyone’s time.

The caveat being that this may be one huge smokescreen for us to get another player in under the radar – I hope that is the case. I am willing to hold final judgement until the window closes, but in the meantime, I won’t refrain from offering my opinion on the transfer window as it unfolds, nor would I expect others with a more positive perspective to refrain from offering their opinions.

• check the toastie

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:42 PM

It is overly whingy on ere. Considering how well we are playing and all our best players are ready to rock and roll at the weekend. God forbid we get beat.

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:46 PM

Check
    Think there’s a big dose of pre season jitters for a lot of posters ……nervous about how far and if we improve I suspect …….makes a change from the usual dread filled run up under billsons m8. I for one have got a touch of the butterfly’s already.

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:47 PM

check

What’s there to be worried about…?

What’s there to whinge or moan at…?

As I’m lost in trying to figure that out

Maybe it’s just me but since we win and we got rid of Ashley which seemed like mission impossible at one point but we did it we finally got rid and not just that but we have the richest owners in the world. Which is one big huge bonus as we’d of accepted far less to see the back of the tyrant.

I think each day we have as a fan now is a blessing and I count myself very fortunate as a football fan to have what we have now

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:47 PM

And if we get beat I’m gonna need a hose pipe.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:51 PM

Lads, it’s called having an opinion. We’re all entitled to them and it’d be a very boring place if we all shared the same ones.

As the sayin’ goes, it takes all sorts to make the world go round, so perhaps stop trying to police how others should think and feel eh?

• Harley

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:53 PM

Not going to jump to conclusions and start slagging off the club, as I have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes in our pursuit of Maddison.

I will add though. I think in todays market £60m is about right for a player of Maddison’s quality. I agree with a some who’ve said not to overpay for the likes of Cornet, Harrison etc. But Maddison is a whole different level.

18 goals last season from midfield, English, premier league ready, early 20s. He would absolutely transform us. Having that flair and goal threat alongside Bruno and Joelinton would be as good as almost any midfield in the league.

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM

Ah so yours is a an opinion but mine isn’t an opinion as it’s myself trying to police what’s said by others….?

Yea makes total sense that fella 😆

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM

That’s another worry I have ….stories now popping up that Maddison would prefer spurs ……if we do have a say 50 mill bid accepted one of the so called big 6 would probs hijack it …..as we ain’t quite at that level, I’m pretty sure Maddison would prefer spurs and London bit of a party boy by all accounts.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:55 PM

It’s a big change for the better that the transfer rumours we are getting now are genuine attempts by the Management to sign players unlike the smoke an mirror stuff we used to get under the previous lot!

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:55 PM

There’s an argument going on and I can’t work out who is involved ……popcorn oot…..and wait for the fireworks.

• Mund

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:56 PM

nap

Remember during the Botman saga he always wanted AC Milan well that’s what the media said but when he signed he said this was always his first choice and from January

• Romford mag

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:57 PM

Nap

I was only jesting bud 😉

Yeah mate I’m in the big boy’s league 😀

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:59 PM

Comparing apples and oranges. Whereas I am stating my own personal opinion on our transfer dealing you ask broad base rhetorical questions like “what is there to whinge or moan about…?”

The inference being that it is somehow entirely unreasonable for anyone to hold critical views of anything that is going on at the club. That, by anyone’s reasonable definition crosses the line of merely expressing your own personal opinion into the realm of trying to police how people think and feel.

I hope that clears it up mate.

• naptoon

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:59 PM

Mund
    Aye m8 I remember just like Mandy said ……just like she said about takeover ……one thing is for sure everything we write, think, read or say is pure speculation.