web analytics

Howe Claims Pool Of Targets Is Small As Recent Events Suggest It Could Be Dwindling

Eddie Howe vowed yesterday to not stop until a couple of attacking players are added to his squad. He made a sobering admission that the number of targets is now quite small.

Here is some of what Howe told Sky Sports on Tuesday:

“The pool of players we are looking at is actually quite small. It’s not a huge amount of names. That’s why the deals become difficult.”

The shortlist could be shrinking by the day as other clubs continue to siphon from Newcastle’s pool of targets. There are reports today on three of our targets that could be a cause for concern.

Fabrizio Romano is reporting that interest in RB Salzburg’s Benjamin Sesko is increasing. Manchester United are contemplating a push to land the promising striker, who has been compared to Manchester City’s Erling Haaland, due to his size and pace.

Newcastle have yet to make a concerted push for Sesko. Though after his agent’s antics on Tyneside last month, local journalists confirmed the Slovenian was on our shortlist. Like many of our other targets, his price tag could be too lofty this summer.

Another striker whose price tag kept Newcastle at bay earlier in the window is Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Widely considered Howe’s preferred striker entering the summer, Everton’s valuation made bidding a pointless endeavor.

There were claims Newcastle would wait to make an offer until later in the window and see if Calvert-Lewin’s head was turned. However, that option may have been taken off the table with the news the striker has suffered yet another injury.

The Athletic’s Greg O’Keeffe is reporting Calvert-Lewin is in doubt for Everton’s season opener against Chelsea this weekend. From the tone of his article, it could be another significant injury for the 25-year-old.

One target that seems like a straightforward proposition is Burnley’s Maxwel Cornet. Talks have been held on a structured deal that would surpass his £17.5m release clause. However, Newcastle went for Leicester’s James Maddison over the weekend.

West Ham are now leading the chase for the 25-year-old. With Frankfurt’s Filip Kostic now off the table as Juventus try to land the Serbian international, the Hammers have turned their attention to Cornet. Though they are also in the process of snapping up Lille’s excellent young midfielder Amadou Onana.

Newcastle could have some targets who haven’t hit the headlines just yet. The bid for Maddison came straight out of the blue over the weekend. Hopefully, the pool is a bit larger than Howe is letting on with some unknown gems waiting to be snapped up.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM

Ruddy

I see you doing exactly as you state others are doing… chicken and egg, then.
    I’m pretty tolerant of people’s thoughts and remains…

I’d say nothing, as i normally do, but the relentless bullying draws me out.
    Then wrapping it up in opinion while disallowing opinion is a vicious circle that I’m not sure you perceive.

It’s 9k tho, please don’t explain any farther as it’ll only sound like an excuse/reason.
    Ez bro!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:52 PM

DrGloom – interesting perspective of two people seeing things for what they are but seeing them differently…I think that’s kinda impossible… 😉

• DrGloom

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:55 PM

Tds – different interpretations of the same thing , everyone can have different opinions – would be boring if we all said, felt and did the same thing ..stepford wives type of thing

• Bobbybee

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:56 PM

Mund, just emailed you mate. I had missed Neil’s email so glad you reminded me. 🙂

• scott

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:57 PM

Transfer rumour chatta has been very quiet today hopefully are owners have something in the works under the radar that just.gets.done!

(Fingers crossed emoji)

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM

Clint

Am I to interpret your comment as suggesting I’m bullying people on the blog, is that right?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:02 PM

If so I take that as a pretty serious allegation and would expect you to point to comments which would prove such an allegation. If you didn’t mean to imply that then I would appreciate you clarifying and saying so.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM

Ruddy

Passive/aggressive is not a good vibe.

I’m not disagreeing with your opinions, just your way of going about it.

…and I’m definitely not answering your fear questions, dude…wirk it

• Mund

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM

Bobbybee

No worries mate. I’ll pass it straight over to him

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM

…work it out!

• Rotonda heights

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM

45 – 55M may seem a lot for sesko now but I’d pay that in a heartbeat even if no one else came in. Could be a star for the next 10 years . Much rather we recruited up and comers. DCL injured again. Wouldn’t wish it on him but didn’t want him.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:04 PM

Please don’t do the fight club scene…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:05 PM

Clint

So you make allegations that I somehow bully people on the blog yet are unwilling to provide any evidence to back this up?

Ok “bro”, I’m pretty sure we’ve got nothing else to say to each other. Take care “dude”

• Assassins Inc

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM

Let’s put some prospective on Newcastle right now, yes I hold my hands up and get frustrated with not having another striker and not having a creative midfielder.

Paper reports are mostly from hack Journo’s and players agents trying to get the best deal for their player.

Have always said, until there here for a medical it isn’t happening or has even happened yet due to the medical, in shirt, with scarf or flag, deal done .

Let add the icing to this cake, imagine that we still had Ashley, please enjoy that sour icing.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM

Clint

Beat me to it. Definitely a passive aggressive vibe !!!

• lochinvar

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:08 PM

If Calvin-Lewis has genuinely acquired a serious knee injury then sorry for the lad.
    However can we trust Everton to be truthful with the situation and no doubt see him sidelined until at least after the Transfer Window closes ?

Light my flare and call me Santa

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:08 PM

DrGloom – agreed, 2 people can definitely have different opinions on the same thing but that’s not seeing things for what they are. Looking at an elephant and saying it’s an elephant is seeing something for what it is, seeing it as a cheetah is not.

However, 1 person can say they think the elephant is beautiful and another person can think the elephant is ugly. Neither are correct, both just offering opinions.

• Bobbybee

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:09 PM

Cartoon, can’t wait for the first game, win lose or draw. Early games are hard to predict and generally don’t have a great bearing overall. Just being back in my seat and enjoying the atmosphere carrying on from last season.
    Definitely need a back up to Wilson though, but hopefully that will arrive.
    Got to go, my favourite online show is starting. I like watching things live. 🙂

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:11 PM

Ruddy

Am i, and am i.
    You’re talking to yourself mate.
    Are you aware of solipsistic thinking?

It’s a bit silly to try and reduce whst I’ve said to an ‘allegation’ or a law court procedure, bro. It’s really not that important. But it does say that you aren’t used to being stood up to, as you want evidence etc.
    So serious, bro.
    It’s football chat brother, all ‘supporting’ the same team, at least, i thought we were.

Anyhoo, don’t worry about it, it it’s not the end of the world… can’t even see it from here.

• Scythe

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:12 PM

Apropos of nothing, this makes me proud to be from Shields. It’s always been a lovely beach and I spent many an hour in my childhood (and as an adult) in the water and on the sand.

Nice advert for the region! 😀

• JohnJ

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:19 PM

carltoon
    Aug 3, 2022 at 4:21 PM

“I can’t wait for the game on Saturday, and if we don’t win, I’ll do what I’ve always do, stay off all social media, give the blog a miss fir a !east a week. Then we go again.”

Here’s hoping you will have loads to say next week!

🙂

• Mister Tuff

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:21 PM

“Boooohoooo booohoooo I’m not Billy the Blog Bully . That Clint is the alligator I need to know the allegations from the alligator M’lud. The evidence needs to be pwoduced or I’ll have a strop and a hissy fit. ”

Tremendous comedy blogging today gents – cheers – and it’s all free ion the blog.

• Assassins Inc

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:23 PM

If we don’t win this weekend I’m blaming Mund. 😉

• DrGloom

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:24 PM

TDS , haha yeah but we’re talking about the toon and football

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:24 PM

Mr T

How, didvnt laugh!

…oh! Go on then, life’s ow’er short!
    😉

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:24 PM

I’m just blaming mund for whatever 😉

• DrGloom

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:25 PM

Can only see a win against forest , they have bought a ton of players ( mostly average ), if they try and play too many it’s highly unlikely they’ll gel and if they don’t the players they already and aren’t good enough for epl

Imo of course )

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:29 PM

Anyway !

Can’t we all just get along?

🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:32 PM

DrGloom – funny old world isn’t it??? 🙂

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:33 PM

Rom

No, our opinions are more important than our shared interest.
    😀

😉

• Scythe

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:34 PM

Thinking we’ll win against Forest, but it may not be a total walkover (hope it is though). Bit of an unknown quantity with them buying so many new players. Have they played together enough times in pre-season to have gelled properly yet? Have they got natural quality in certain positions that could cause us trouble? Will their first game back in the top division have them on a high?

Hopefully our (known) quality players and manager and our amazing atmosphere at SJP will be enough to get those precious three points in the board and get us off to a good start at home.

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:36 PM

At least we won’t have a clue how to set up against notts forest (uh oh!)… luckily, neither will they, as they’ve never played together, have they?

• Scythe

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:37 PM

Rom

Can’t we all just get along? Of course not, this is the Internet, it doesn’t work like that!

If you’re not arguing or slagging someone off then you’re not ‘doing the Internet’ properly 🙂

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:41 PM

Paq, Harrison, maddison, all around the same price, all similar position, all in the hands of clubs, player, agent… who’s gonna crack before they miss out?

Jump!

• The Last Jedi

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:42 PM

Ruddy is a bully on crack and Mister Toffee has toffee teeth.
    End of story

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM

If we can play and maintain the form we had 1st half against Bilbao then we will have a cracking season.

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:46 PM

Scythe

I thought I was doing something wrong!

No-one ever argues with me !

But as the saying goes !

you can’t argue with stupid !! 😀

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:48 PM

CLINT

Not for me bud ! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:48 PM

Am I an optimist cos I’ve predicted a 4th place finish and winning the FA cup?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:48 PM

Romford, oh yes they do! 🙂