web analytics

Newcastle Committed To Adding Two Attackers By Close Of Window – Report

Eddie Howe has been assured that two new attackers will arrive on Tyneside before the window ends next month according to The Chronicle. High-level transfer talks have been convened this week.

Newcastle’s recruitment drive has been stuck in neutral after a promising start. The club completed three transfers prior to the pre-season but frustration has reigned since then.

Howe spoke about the window to Sky Sports on Tuesday and expressed Newcastle’s commitment to adding quality up front:

“It’s no secret we’ve been looking at a couple of attackers who could make a difference. Players with different profiles.

“We are still looking for one or two players that can make a difference for us. We won’t stop.”

The latest object of Newcastle’s desire, James Maddison, has been met with a familiar refrain as two bids were rejected this week. Newcastle and Leicester remain at least £10m apart in their valuation of the playmaker.

Without breaking character and bidding above their comfort level, Newcastle will most likely be forced to move onto other targets yet again. Who the sights will turn to next is anyone’s guess as the initial Maddison bid seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

There could be other unknown targets Newcastle are eyeing. While there is still plenty of time to add two players, the season will kick off on Saturday with the stated goal of the window – adding attackers – still to be completed.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM

Cheers romford
    Just wondered,we all watch players and normally we all get a good feeling if a player has class even if they have a stinker, so wanted to know how people reacted to him,cheers mate

• Blaydon-Toon

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM

Cheers Romford lad hope you’re well – so had a brief skim through the other night had KETS been banned ??

• Not another deJong

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:00 PM

I “won’t stop” believing we need two upgrades for Strikers either.

• The Mighty Quinn

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:02 PM

Hope people don’t turn on Eddie if results go the way of the pear because the owners fail to get in anybody else. Not his fault at all and even if my predicted 12th place comes to fruition then there’ll be no moaning from me.

• ShaytoStay

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM

I reckon we’ll get these two attackers in, just a bit worried about the notts forest game. It’s a free pass for them and they’ll be fired up. Although I think we look good.

• Goal Linton

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM

On the two remains places in doubt I personally would go with Dubravka and Burn ahead of Pope and Botman.

They have done nothing to deserve being dropped and it’s up to them to keep up their form with two top class players breathing down their necks.

If Pope and Botman start I can’t see them getting back in the team and that will be a shame for what they have done for the club.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM

Apparently (more salt needed). Leicester have told Maddison to leave!!!!

• Goal Linton

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM

Remaining

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:10 PM

Bob,

You’ll be able to grit all the roads in the north east with all that salt 🙂

• Mund

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:10 PM

WH have had a 17M bid rejected for Cornet…

His release clause is 17.5M 😆 fair play

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:11 PM

I don’t really care about the starting 11 scenario this year, as with 5 subs there’ll be plenty of opportunities for people to play. However, the GK is different, normally they don’t get subbed unless injured, so less opportunities. That’s why the Pope v Dubs choice is a big call for Eddie.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM

I know, I’m just ensuring that people know I’m not a ITK and my sources are dubious! 😆

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:13 PM

Springy
    Zapata no thanks thought he was a waste of space – wandered around with hands on hips parts of game
    Rather of had Bilbao’s centre forward had pace to burn led our defence a Merry dance at time – one minute in their box next minute at the other end

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM

NY, that latest claim is in the chronic online app. I use this because it gets me approx 12 stories per day on NUFC, mostly rubbish, but the occasional gem. I have to avoid fans replies to stories though as they’re bloody bonkers and sent me a bit over the top last night. 😆

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM

Mund,

I was a bit puzzled why WH seem to be after so many players.

I looked at their squad and they only have 22 senior players – I’m bemused how that happened??

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM

Imagine Shola in today’s team, doing a press. Used to infuriate me watching him. Should have had special shorts with pockets in.

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:24 PM

Charlie

Nico Williams I think his name is?

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM

They’ve got another player called nakki Williams as well so I might have them mixed up ?

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:26 PM

Bob,

I used to read the chronicle religiously.
    Before I started reading this blog (many years ago) I would read the comments section on the chronicle, it was quite popular at the time, there were a few crazy posters, but in general it wasn’t a bad read.

I don’t know how it is these days for the comments, but whenever I’ve read a story, the headline bears no resemblance to the actual story…..sadly (or maybe not) they’ve lost me as a reader 🙂

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:27 PM

Springy

No worries mate , like I said just my opinion of what I saw of him 🙂

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:27 PM

Blaydon

All good here thanks mate 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:34 PM

Maddison wasn’t enough to get Leicester into the top 6, let alone the top 4. I still don’t believe he will make the difference for us either.

I do think those two key attacking signings would be great additions but I still think 7-10th is our battle ground, albeit more chance of 7/8th if we have them.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:37 PM

Cbob

Many claim that journalists never know the correct figures or that it’s impossible to know the correct figures being bid so if we need to be 100% certain of the facts before even entertaining the possibility of questioning the ownership regarding transfer dealings that’s an impossible standard to meet and would result in no one ever being able to question the owenrship at all.

It is not one I subscribe to unfortunately so I will continue to rely on those whom I believe to be reliabe sources of information which may in turn form the basis for what some may deem as criticism where I feel it is warranted.

I appreciate that you may not agree with that approach but you have your approach and I have mine.

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:38 PM

TDS – our back 4 is now unreal compared to Leicester’s last season. Plagued by injuries they were. Plus they are coached better. Top 6 easy with Maddison. Arsenal and Man Scum are still carrying shite

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:40 PM

I do feel some breakthrough news is imminent. Just feel it in the air.

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:41 PM

Have we signed Sesko and Paqueta yet? no….I’ll check back again later. 🙂

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:44 PM

I know it’s just the journos but seem like Maddison still like the London scene and wants to stay there…. I want players that want to be here…they will in fact player better and harder. If he does indeed end up signing then I am sure it has been all sussed out but still loved watching Sesko play the other night and think he is the present and the future.

• Goal Linton

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM

Check

Special shorts with long pockets haha

• Not another deJong

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:46 PM

When we played Athletico Bilbao I was slightly confused by the commenators, but now I know why:
    Iñaki Williams – Centre-Forward
    Nico Williams – Right Winger

• JohnJ

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM

FUBARsteve
    Aug 3, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    Comment #30. Previous thread.

I use Opera Browser now – it’s as good as you’ll find in my opinion.

• Not another deJong

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:50 PM

Iñaki Williams (28) although good on the ball, he does not have the end product.

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM

Between maddison and paqueta,paqueta actually sounds like he’d rather be here maddison would probs be the better player due to the fact he’s got premier league experience but if he doesn’t want to come….why bother!…granted it is just journos waffle so believe at your peril! Lol

• Mag52

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM

Blaydon.

Kets is still around. He’s the blog treasure.
    He lies low for a time until we are feeling secure, then he blasts us with a few outrageous thoughts on players, selection, managers etc.
    Much the same as he has always done.

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:57 PM

TDS,

7-10th is a pretty good battle ground, considering where we have come from 🙂 (that’s not a criticism on your post BTW)

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:59 PM

Cheers Ruddy, no harm no foul.

However, your belief in (on this occasion) Keith Downie, is a bit strange in that he even admitted he didn’t know. He changed the reported 2nd offer from £50M to £40M + add ons within a couple of hours.

My point is that it’s unjust to criticise the ownership for “supposed” actions based on info like that above which is obviously flawed and basically guesswork.

Journalists chuck a lot of stuff “out there” in the hope that something hits the target, so they always get something right. Not enough for pelters aimed at the owners in my opinion. 🙂

• ottawageordie2

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:00 PM

I have started using DuckDuckGo and it is great. No more problems with pop up ads and the like. It also has a good reputation unlike the lion browser.

• Blaydon-Toon

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:01 PM

Mag52

Well that’s ok then I find him throughly entertaining I know he winds a few people up but be around long enough to know that’s just Kets and whatever he posts can not be taken seriously 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:04 PM

Nico Williams 20 years old Right Winger
    Is the younger brother of
    Iñaki Williams – Centre forward – not a great goalscorer averages 8 a season but canny player

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:04 PM

Check – have a look at the Arsenal and Man Utd squads and compare them to ours. Have a look at them on Transfermarkt to see their stats, valuations etc. if you don’t know them off the top of your head (I wouldn’t blame you for that). They both have a lot more quality than us.

Last season, Leicester also had Schmeichel, Fofana, Barnes, Vardy, and Tielemans who would walk into our squad not, let alone last season. Several other players would be great for us too. They’ve still got a good team but are obviously in trouble with finances.