web analytics

Newcastle Committed To Adding Two Attackers By Close Of Window – Report

Eddie Howe has been assured that two new attackers will arrive on Tyneside before the window ends next month according to The Chronicle. High-level transfer talks have been convened this week.

Newcastle’s recruitment drive has been stuck in neutral after a promising start. The club completed three transfers prior to the pre-season but frustration has reigned since then.

Howe spoke about the window to Sky Sports on Tuesday and expressed Newcastle’s commitment to adding quality up front:

“It’s no secret we’ve been looking at a couple of attackers who could make a difference. Players with different profiles.

“We are still looking for one or two players that can make a difference for us. We won’t stop.”

The latest object of Newcastle’s desire, James Maddison, has been met with a familiar refrain as two bids were rejected this week. Newcastle and Leicester remain at least £10m apart in their valuation of the playmaker.

Without breaking character and bidding above their comfort level, Newcastle will most likely be forced to move onto other targets yet again. Who the sights will turn to next is anyone’s guess as the initial Maddison bid seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

There could be other unknown targets Newcastle are eyeing. While there is still plenty of time to add two players, the season will kick off on Saturday with the stated goal of the window – adding attackers – still to be completed.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM

NY Mag – I totally agree! And the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, and Villa will be targeting those positions too. It’s not as if they’re run by idiots either, they’ll be tough to beat. Other clubs will be hoping to push into the top half too and there’s usually one club who massively overperforms.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM

Cbob

No harm no foul on my side either. I don’t usually take a single piece of info on its own, usually waiting until a few others have corroborated it or given similar reports before choosing whether to rely on it. I actually take the fact that Downie corrected his earlier report as a sign of reliability in that when in possessionof more accurate information he relayed it.

In any case, I personally wouldn’t describe any of my opinons as “throwing pelters” at the owners by any stretch of the imagination and my overall view is that no matter what, we need to be able to retain the ability to possibly criticise the owners if some feel it is warranted without being shouted down.

I agree that those who tag the owners online or are abusive on social media are morons and should rightly be shouted down, but not those of us who want to retain an element of critical thought. Just my view fella and I in no way want us to fall out as you’re a proper decent blogger.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM

I think Kets got banned, he came back as Guivarch but was easily identified as soon as he started banging on about Santon.

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:10 PM

Nah, dont need to look at a website to make me own mind up TDS. Seen them play plenty. Back fours are atrocious. And considering we just bullied Arsenal at home. Why would we fear them, now we have an identity solidified. Keep the faith. Ben White and Gabriel are soft. As for Man Scum. A mess.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:12 PM

For what it is worth, while I think Maddison would be transformative, I also don’t subscribe to the notion that he takes us top 6 by himself. I think he does a lot of the heavy lifting towards getting us top 8 mind you.

My view remains the same that without significant reinforcements in the attacking third, we’re destined to remain outside the top 8 (likely 9th or 10th). If we put together a cup run and end up playing a much more intense pressing possession -based style of football that still makes for an incredibly fun season though!

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:14 PM

I’ll be happy if we get Maddison, happy if we don’t. If we do, great player. If we don’t it should mean more games for Anderson.

I’d be very unhappy if we got Cornet coming in and blocking Anderson’s progress. Is he even any better than Fraser or Murphy?

We need a striker. Doesn’t have to be world class. Just a competent loan player would do until January or next year. I’d rather wait for the right player than panic buy. Odoi seems like the new Berahino so it’s a no from me.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:14 PM

NY, that bit about headline having nothing to do with story is sadly still true. The headlines are genuine unadulterated “click bait”, but we’ve got to try and get news from somewhere, and apart from George Caulkin, they all seem to operate on guesswork. George seems to me to be an old style newsman, who primarily wants his sources verified and double checked before he goes into print. It’s because of this, I trust him above all others.

Having said that, he does risk being last with the info. 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM

Check – Arsenal got 69 points last season and have quality players like Tierney, Jesus, Odegaard, Saka, and Ramsdale, all of whom I’d put into our starting 11 without question. There are quite a few others that I’m sure I’d consider too. We don’t have to fear them but I still think we should respect them, they 100% have a better squad than us on paper, as do Man Utd. Doesn’t mean that we can’t finish above them but the odds are against us.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:16 PM

cleveleysbob – being first seems to be more important than being right these days…

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:18 PM

A player of Maddison’s callibre (and in his prime) would be a huge boost to morale and confidence. It’s also a massive dent to Leicester who will still be decent with Rodgers. It could have a similar effect to when Trippier signed.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:19 PM

Haha, talk about falling foul of click bait. That story about Maddison being “told” to leave Leicester, wasn’t from Leicester but a quote from Danny Mills, telling him to get his arse up the A1 to us! – glad I put the bit in about the salt – sorry folks! 🙂

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:25 PM

TDS,
    I agree the big 6 have much better squads on paper, but in the last four years I think West Ham and Leicester (twice) have broke into the top 6. All it takes is for one of them to have some unrest. I do think this year they have all got their act together though so will probably be the toughest season in a while to break the top 6.

• Mund

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM

A good few said DCL wasn’t injury prone but is now facing 3 months on the side lines…

If we were ever in for him as I do have my doubts but if we were thats a bullet dodged

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:28 PM

Maddison is a great talent, no doubt about it. But …..

I’ve heard multiple stories about what an absolute unadulterated pri€k he is. Has anyone else heard these rumblings or would you care ?

I like our squad at the moment and there doesn’t seem to be any ar$eholes in it. Do we want to potentially import one, however talented he is ?

I have no doubt the team have looked into him and must be happy enough if they’ve put in bids for him.

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM

Bob,

I agree with you in general about George Caulkin, I think he’s a very good writer with a style that I enjoy reading.

although I remain skeptical about him personally (I believe he’s told a huge porky about his youth in order to legitimize himself)

But that’s just my personal opinion….professionally, he’s good 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:35 PM

ZG – yeah, like the season we finished 5th, two of the big 6 (I think perhaps Chelsea and Man Utd?) had horrible seasons and then we were the best of the rest. It’s going to be hard enough to be best of the rest this season, let alone finishing above any of the big 6. Frankly, if Arsenal and Man Utd play to their potential then we have 0% chance of finishing above them, same for the others in the big 6. All our club can do is to try to play to our potential and just see what happens with other clubs, we can’t control that…

I’ll be very happy with a solid top half finish anyway, I’m not setting my expectations unrealistically high just to be disappointed.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, I’m not getting my hopes up either. Second place and a cup double will do for this season.
    😉

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:40 PM

I heard Maddison was a salt of the earth, humble, regular kid, although that was when he was coming through. His fame may have changed him.

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:41 PM

ZG,

LOL, I like your thinking 🙂

• NY Mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:43 PM

Anyway, I gotta go do some work now………catch you all later, play nice 🙂

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:44 PM

ZG

Tbh, you can tell maddison’s ‘tude, by his on field antics, huh?
    Not nice, I’d say!
    But, if Eddie can work with him, I’ll support him.

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:52 PM

If we get off to a flyer we could stay top4 all
    Season. Believe. Miserable cnuts. When you are in the ground you feel anything is possible currently. Need to bottle that up and give it to a few folk on ere.
    Mr Pragmatic and Dr Caution

• check the toastie

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:53 PM

The spirit and togetherness of this squad is unique in the league currently. Its worth 15 points. Its the Eddie factor. We can way above our weight based on belief

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM

Check

Totally that, mate.

Supporting not detracting!

Any excuses to detract, are just permission to moan.

Howay the lads!

…and lasses!

• carltoon

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:01 PM

NYmag, before you go, spill the beans, on Caulkin????? I love a bit of Gossip 😉

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM

No doubt there’ll be some ups and downs for us

this season !

But overall, I think we’ll have a good one and finish I’m the top 10 !

IMO (not that it means that much!) 😆

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM

In* not I’m!!

• carltoon

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:05 PM

ROM your number one, and always will be.

• Romford mag

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM

Carltoon

Number one Know nowt 😉

• cleveleysbob

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:11 PM

I’m extremely optimistic for a couple of reasons.
    As Check says the squad unity is almost unique in the PL, so when you’ve 11+ guys all fighting for the same cause “leaving nothing out there”, it is worth several more points per season, we’ll get wins from some likely draws and draws from some likely losses, we’ll make every game difficult for the opposition and if they’re not “on it” we’ll beat them, even Pool and City can be beat.

The squads pretty strong already, 2 x promised attacking reinforcements, makes it even stronger, so we’ll score more goals than for many seasons. Plus the defence is looking pretty awesome our goals against is going to be lowest in absolutely ages.

Add to that, the style of play being implemented and we’re going to be a joy to watch.

What’s not to like about that?

Surely optimism is reasonable for our best season since we made 5th at least?

Gonna love this season, even the blips.

• Phil K

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:53 PM

Leicester want an auction. Note they have not catagorically said no.
    But the stinking press are trying to prod Spuds or Arsenhole to bid to try to stop Newcastle getting him, but neither seem interested or don’t want an auction