web analytics

Injuries Are Clearing Up As The Season Opener Approaches

Newcastle released training images from Wednesday’s session. Eddie Howe was without two Magpies as Jonjo Shelvey and Kellands Watts continue to recover from their injuries. Fede Fernandez was not spotted in any pictures but the statement only listed Shelvey and Watts as injured.

Watts underwent the knife for a knee injury suffered early in pre-season. He was spotted in a video the club released for media day. Shelvey is expected to miss a couple of matches with a minor hamstring injury.

Javier Manquillo has also returned after receiving treatment in Spain for a groin problem. The Spaniard, Fede, and Jamal all have work to do to get fully fit after missing almost all of pre-season.

Howe won’t be short in any area for Nottingham Forest. With the window still open, Howe has a bloated squad until September which will help if any new injuries occur.

The lack of attacking additions has Newcastle vulnerable up front. Santiago Munoz has remained with the first team. He was involved in the training camp in Lisbon and also got a very brief cameo against Athletic Club.

Howe has a few selection dilemmas with goalkeeper, center-back, and midfield having some intense competitions for a start on Saturday. These final few days of preparation could be key for a few Magpies.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:16 AM

10th

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:18 AM

Have I entered a parallel universe. Has the world ended?

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM

Schrodinger’s piglet

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:28 AM

It’s deathly quiet this morning Pugs, are we at war? I had better check out the BBC news for the latest Ukraine Taiwan Kosovo debacle. I heard some military aircraft heading down from Scotland last night.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:31 AM

Wor B – thank you for doing all the chasing on the FPL, you have my respect for doing it! It’s usually me doing that sort of thing so I’m very happy when others do it instead and I know how much of a pain in the arse it can be too!

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:35 AM

I’ll second that, thanks Wor B

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:35 AM

Greetings to Sir Pug & IT Under a Shell

Not long now to wait for the the first game against Nottingham Forest eh!

• Wor B

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:37 AM

TDS

Always a pleasure, never a chore.

*pullingouthairemoji*

😆

• CLINT FLICK

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:41 AM

Wor b
    With the tenacity of prairie dog.

Relentless!
    😉

• Wor B

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM

The Pug and the Piglet.

Could be a Gerald Durrell book!

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM

Wor B,

My thanks also for all your efforts – Hope you’re enjoying your time away!

Sadly I’ll miss seeing the first game so I’ll have to settle for someone I used to work with once upon a time on Radio Newcastle.

I spent many years and 4 employments at Wilson’s (Rover) in Whitley Bay. John Anderson also worked there in Car Sales for a while.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM

JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:35 AM

Morning JohnJ, well will it be FFP, transfers, team and subs for Saturday or FPL, whatever that is today. Must say I am looking forward to the new season and getting behind the teams push and hopefully into a European spot.

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:46 AM

IT Under….

Yes I’m really looking forward to the new season and Thank God I’m looking higher than 4th bottom for the first time in many years well at least 14!

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:51 AM

I think what we all have remember is it’s not going to take one season to get to where we all want to be. So….. we will need to remember that when we experience some set backs & we will but we WILL get there but patience will be needed.

I feel Maddison would be a major upgrade to our hopes but it’s starting to look like he’s staying at Leicester City for now…. 🙁

• scott

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Morning John j

I used to play Sunday league football with John Anderson,absolutely tremendous bloke with a wicked sense of humour!

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM

I could just scream sometimes Sir Pug

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:55 AM

IT

I hope you don’t mind but I have to say I’m very partial to a Bacon Buttie! :). 🙂

• magicmac54

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Top of the Morn all Toon fans, not long now to the big kick of and an exciting season awaits, get in the Toon HWTL.

To the Golfing Lads on the Blog do any of you fancy your chances at this hole 😀 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM

JohnJ – I question how/why the Maddison news became public knowledge but I suspect Leicester need to sell at least 1 other player and they want it to be public knowledge without seeming desperate. Tielemans would seem to be the most obvious player to leave as he has just 1 year left on his contract but maybe someone won’t offer enough for him?

You can be sure that our recruitment team have been given some encouragement from Leicester though, so hopefully their negotiations are going well behind the scenes.

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:57 AM

Scott,

John Anderson did a solid job for Newcastle as a player always gave 100% I love The Emerald Isle so we had a few things in common!

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM

JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Now that is a terrible thing to say mate, unless it’s a nice thick, juicy chop!

• Munster Mag

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:59 AM

Maddison not for sale apparently

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Ah well time for breakie 🙂

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:00 AM

TDS,

I don’t think they are desperate. If the rumours (I know!) are true then we offered near enough £50m including add-ons for the player. I think a team desperate for funds would have snapped our hand off, especially if they have lined up the French lad as a replacement, who will be a lot cheaper (I presume).

I know that’s a mountain of salt, as opposed to a pinch. But haggling over £10m quid doesn’t scream desperate to me.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Magic – I knew that was the video you were going to share! I watched it yesterday! For me, would depend on the distance I had to carry. I suspect it would be right in my tricky range where my 7i wouldn’t quite make it and I’m not so comfortable with my 6i, 5i or 4h.

I did manage to stick this green on Sunday though https://youtu.be/piTBhrbYG24 not sure if the video reflects the valley inbetween as you absolutely have to stick it on the green and avoid sliding off its big slope or you’ll roll all the way down to the bottom.

• JohnJ

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Or Brekkie!

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM

Mund

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM

Well put Mund, they can F**k off!

• simon376

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:03 AM

John J

Cant believe its about 30 years ago now since I knew Ando, was such a lovely bloke, I was only about 17 at the time when used to attempt to train once a week and after games, but made so much of an effort to come talk to me and include me, great person

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Good morning lads and lasses hope we’re all doing well?

The countdown is inching ever-closer and the new season is almost upon us. On the FPL side of things, I think I’ve done whatever tinkering I need to do and remain reasonably happy with my team. Aside from the Haaland/Kane or Diaz/Saka/Maddison/Mount debate I reckon my GW1 is pretty settled, good luck to all involved, should make for added blog rivalry (because there just isn’t enough of that going on 😉 lol)

As for all things Newcastle United, I have gotten out of bed on the optimistic side this morning and hope that radio silence yesterday coupled with Schmeichel departing for Nice (when he said he wouldn’t sign until Leicester had a replacement) perhaps points to a breakthrough in Leicester’s search for a GK which may be a certain Martin Dubravka which may mean a breakthrough in our pursuit of Maddison.

Highly speculative I know, but we’ll watch this space!

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Mund,

I’d join them if I were the owners if at the very least to allow us to push through favourable rules on sponsorships and other commercial revenue streams that will allow us to absolutely dominate financially.

If it’s about getting us to sign up to eventually breakaway into a European super league then I’d not support that though.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:08 AM

Dazzler – I think they need to sell someone. What I’m saying is that they don’t want to come across as desperate. There are multiple saleable assets that are being linked with transfers at the moment: Fofana, Maddison, Barnes, and Tielemans are all being linked from what I’ve seen. So perhaps if Chelsea complete a deal for Fofana, then Maddison stays? If they need to raise money then they’ll want to maximise whatever they receive for a key player so they can play them off against each other.

This does feel a little like Southampton from a few years ago where they kept losing a star player every season (usually to Liverpool).

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:08 AM

I see we’ve not won an opening game in a decade since beating Spurs in 2012. Another possible record for Eddie Howe to break this weekend 😉

• Mund

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:08 AM

dazzler

I suppose I’d rather be at the big boys table mate but like you say if it’s owt to do with a super league then they can take a run and jump.

• scott

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:10 AM

Johnj

Yeah I loved Ando as a player I was in my young teens when he played for Newcastle & this was the time I was allowed to go to the match with my mates!
    He always gave everything for the club & because of that was one of my favourite players in an average team!
    Playing with him after he retired was fantastic as I was the winger in front of him & he would ping 60yrd balls to perfection!

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:13 AM

TDS,

I understood your point, I just don’t think their actions are that of a club that really needs to sell, personally.

I think if they can haggle over 10m then they are simply a club with a valuation that they want to be met. They want £60m and they aren’t bothered if they don’t get it as they get to keep their player otherwise.

I do think the transfer will happen (rose tinted gegs on), they definitely need a goalie, and we have a prem standard keeper going spare. They also owe a wedge on Perez, so the wiggle room is obvious in this case.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Did the bard write the 1st poem?

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM

Mund,

I think the owners already laughed off any suggestion that we’d be interested even accounting for any future success, but a chance to shape the league in a way that suits us is not to be sniffed at IMO.

• magicmac54

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:17 AM

ToonDarnSarf

Morning Mate, thanks for sharing the link of your golf course , it looks very impressive, have you played any links golf courses in the past TDS? How many Toon games will you be attending this season mate, i hope to get over to at least 2 games this season possibly 3 HWTL

• snowdone

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:18 AM

Of course, we could hear that Maddison has signed a new improved contract!!!
    Incredible, that Leicester find themselves in financial difficulties, but Barcelona plough merrily along, splashing the cash, despite being mired in debt!