web analytics

Injuries Are Clearing Up As The Season Opener Approaches

Newcastle released training images from Wednesday’s session. Eddie Howe was without two Magpies as Jonjo Shelvey and Kellands Watts continue to recover from their injuries. Fede Fernandez was not spotted in any pictures but the statement only listed Shelvey and Watts as injured.

Watts underwent the knife for a knee injury suffered early in pre-season. He was spotted in a video the club released for media day. Shelvey is expected to miss a couple of matches with a minor hamstring injury.

Javier Manquillo has also returned after receiving treatment in Spain for a groin problem. The Spaniard, Fede, and Jamal all have work to do to get fully fit after missing almost all of pre-season.

Howe won’t be short in any area for Nottingham Forest. With the window still open, Howe has a bloated squad until September which will help if any new injuries occur.

The lack of attacking additions has Newcastle vulnerable up front. Santiago Munoz has remained with the first team. He was involved in the training camp in Lisbon and also got a very brief cameo against Athletic Club.

Howe has a few selection dilemmas with goalkeeper, center-back, and midfield having some intense competitions for a start on Saturday. These final few days of preparation could be key for a few Magpies.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:20 AM

Dazzler – there are a few things I’d dispute here though:
    1 – how do we know that Howe wants to sell Dubs? This would leave us exposed if Pope was injured as Darlow isn’t good enough if we want to finish top half in the PL.
    2 – how do we know that Leicester still owe us money for Perez? Even if they do, perhaps they’d prefer to wait to may that money and get cash up front from another club.
    3 – the reason they can resist accepting the first offer is that they will have other clubs interested in Maddison and also other clubs interested in other players. Perhaps they just need 1 big sale in a similar way to Everton.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:20 AM

@Mund

This was always likely to be the case once they realise how powerful Newcastle can become

Be interested to see what the Saudi’s think of that long term

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Magic – I’ve literally only played about half a dozen courses in my life! 🙂 So, new courses are both a big challenge and a big thrill to me. Never played a links course before either so that’s going to be a huge challenge when I do. I did get a 4 ball at Freshwater Bay on the IoW recently though, so that will be a big challenge for sure. Looking forward to that.

I’m hoping to get to at least 1 home game and at least 1 away game this season. I think the challenge will be getting tickets, or at least having a virtual guarantee of tickets, with enough time to plan to keep that time free and travel etc.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Quote from Shearer on the BBC website, “I’d love to say I think Newcastle will be fighting it out with Manchester United for a place in the top six, but I don’t quite see that happening yet.

Eddie Howe has already done a great job to turn the club around since he was appointed as manager in November and now my hope is that they will be challenging for seventh, eighth or ninth place, which I think is realistic with the squad they’ve got at the moment. They finished 11th last time, and were only three points off eighth place.”

• IrishRob

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM

It’s astounding how many people dont realise or get that, that money for Perez has been factored into balancing the books years ago, even if it hasn’t been received in full yet.

Ergo it means nothing if it was used in the deal. There would still be the 8M deficit either way.

• Tinos Vino

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Morning all. Re Maddison and Leicester I think they only need to sell one of the three mentioned players. If Chelsea up their bid and move quickly we may be left high and dry. Hopefully not but we will see.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM

The scummy 6 are beginning to feel the power of their mammon lusts waning in the presence of an overwhelming challenge from riches and power beyond their worst nightmares.
    Just as well the club have a few incriminating emails and evidence of deep corruption concerning the attempted blocking of Saudi Arabia PL involvement and the issue of a breakaway league.
    What was that again? PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. Bury them in their own greed and soon to be irrelevance.

• Mund

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:31 AM

Lee

If anything at least they are finally accepting the takeover has happened now and there’s nothing they can do about it. The targeting of the club and the owners has calmed down a lot but no doubt there is something around the corner to rile them back up but it’s fading at least. Mental at one point,

• The Last Jedi

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM

We beat West Ham couple of seasons ago start of season. How can a supposed Newcastle fan not know recent history of the club they supposedly support smh

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM

Tinos – that’s my feeling too. If the likes of Fofana, Tielemans, or Barnes go for decent money this summer, then we might find Maddison stays. Tielemans only has 1 year left on his contract too I believe.

• Arthur Romsdale

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM

I think we could potentially get 8th place this season. But another injury plagued season for Wilson and I’ll say 11th. That’s with the current group. Hopefully one or two big names in attack and that could improve.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:34 AM

I confess I find it quite funny how the same people are having a go at the arrogance and greed of the big 6 clubs while also bragging about us being “the richest club in the world” and how we’re going to crush them all…

• Mund

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:37 AM

snowdone

Barcelona and what they are doing really winds me up.

How do they get away with it…?

How do they refuse to pay a player in De Jong 17M of what they owe him but bring in more superstars like Lewandowski on big money…?

They are an utter piss take

• IrishRob

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM

I’ve a feeling Maddison is off the table, if you think about it, they probably aren’t going to sell all 3 of Fofana, Maddison and Tielemans. Apparently Chelsea are now only 20M off Leicesters valuation of 80M which is crazy that Chelsea would even pay that much let alone 80M.

Tielemans is definitely gone this window otherwise they’re throwing away 30M. So that leaves Maddison and Fofana, they seem to be getting way way more for Fofana who is a player that won’t affect their results anywhere near what Maddison would.

If Chelsea are determined to get Fofana I’d be blown away if Leicester would then sell Maddison.

I dont think for a second they’re worried about loosing 10-20M on him next year when there’s only 1 year left on his contract. Firstly the difference he would make to their final league position would almost certainly make that difference up and then some. Also they probably look at it as having another year to convince him to sign a contract extension.

It’s also not like he’s desperate to get away, he is still happy there. Where as the talk on Fofana is he desperately wants out.

We might bid one more time but I’ve a gut feeling that it’s probably in vain.

Just my personal take on it though, he could just as easily be a Newcastle player by Sunday.

• Mund

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:42 AM

I think Leicester will sell one of the other of Fofana and Maddison but if they sell Fofana they won’t be selling Maddison

• IrishRob

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:42 AM

I dont think it’s a case of we need to act before Chelsea. I think its a case of Leicester will hold off on any deal until they know where they stand with the Fofana deal.

• Cullerfornia Lad

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:46 AM

See Chelsea have signed that young lad from villa who we were linked with

• IrishRob

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM

On the scummy 6 deal, if true, I think we do actually end up taking that Olive branch, after getting this far it just wouldn’t make good business sense to isolate ourselves from the obvious powers that be.

As disgusting as it sounds I think they will have no option. They would be shooting themselves in the foot unfortunately. If this whole process has told them anything that no onrs looking out for each other, you’re on you’re own and you have to look after your own interests as priority number one.

If we reject it they will just get a Leicester or West ham on board and then we are utterly screwed.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM

Fofana is probably easier to replace for Leicester than Maddison he hardly played last season too

They could then offer contracts to Evans, Soyuncu etc

But Maddison will be harder to replace as there is no guarantee someone from abroad can match his numbers

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM

They have crushed themselves TDS with their own greed. They simply chose not to allow others to play on their unlevel playing field.
    Well isn’t karma a bitch! The toon simply need to grow over the coming years with a sound financially backed plan ( within tbe rules ) to rise to the top and without a faustian pact with their corrupt behaviours and instincts.

• geordie157

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM

Maddison not for sale, I bet an offer of 65 million would be accepted. 50-55 mill seems about right for him.

Although the Cucurella deal for 52mill doesn’t help prices, Chelsea always throw masses of money at things, hoping they miss out on the top 4 this season.

Slap down 60million for Tielemans, if he’s got a year left. Then Leicester can reject Chelsea’s advances for Fofana.

Then find a striker to loan, the PSG one beginning with K will do.

• Davas

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:49 AM

If we aren’t believing what journalists are saying about players i certainly wouldnt believe anything the sun write until it’s been verified by multiple sources. If it does happen to be true then I personally wouldn’t want them to join the cartel. I can’t see how we can be critical of the top 6 trying to control things only for us to join them at the first opportunity.

• dazzler

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:51 AM

Irish Rob,

Sorry mate but I think you’re wrong re: Perez and the accounting procedure.

It’s a long-term liability. They will almost certainly have an amount on their balance sheet for future transfer fees owed.

Leicester will almost certainly be a debtor on the balance sheet in NUFC accounts as well.

So it absolutely does mean something if it’s factored into the deal for Maddison, as we can agree to write off the debtor balance in lieu of payment to that value.

So in simple terms assuming we paid the balance up front (which we won’t do):

Long term assets go up by £60m
    Current assets down by £8m
    Bank down by £52m

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:54 AM

ITUNDERASHELL – I agree that the owners of the big 6 were very greedy in trying to create a locked in tournament for themselves but it’s also pretty clear that the owners of some clubs were the initiators and others just followed because they didn’t want to be the one to miss out. Also, virtually all of their fans plus managers, staff, and players seem to have been against it so I don’t hold it against the clubs, just some of the owners.

I would agree that I much prefer solid growth within the rules rather than trying to massively change the rules to suit us. In the end, this is about sport and what happens on the pitch, that’s where things should ultimately be earned.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:54 AM

Davas

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:49 AM

Comment #

Totally agree with you Davas. Do not play their corupt games.

• Ronway

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:56 AM

As Wor B has said on several occasions previously, time is now quickly running out!

CATCHY IN NORWAY
    CATCHY IN NORWAY
    CATCHY IN NORWAY

CHANCEL BE A FINE THING
    CHANCEL BE A FINE THING
    CHANCEL BE A FINE THING

GILLMAG
    GILLMAG
    GILLMAG

Register the H2H code on FPL before Friday 18:30 otherwise yer OOT

Come on people, get signed up; one more to make up the 20 for the league wouldn’t go amiss either otherwise everyone will have to play a “dummy”. Any volunteers?

😉

• magicmac54

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:10 AM

ToonDarnSarf

With you living in the South of England i can understand why it might be more convenient for you to attend Newcastle away matches, although i have no doubt you will still like to attend at least one home game to savour the unique experience of Saint James Park, but like you say getting tickets for the home games might prove problematic for you mate. The home games will suit me better as it`s only a 30 minute flight from Belfast to Newcastle, and i`m guaranteed at least 2 tickets for the coming season. On the Golf front i have only played about 12 courses in my life also, yesterday i played about 60% good shots and the rest not so good, and i can hit my 3 wood much further of the tee than my driver, so my driver stays in the bag 😀 😀

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Magic, leave driver at home and stick another wedge in.

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:53 PM

Back home and just checking again to see if we signed Sesko and Paqueta yet….nope…crickets…hmmmm…..carry on….