web analytics

Newcastle Release Eddie Howe Interview Ahead Of The New Campaign

Newcastle have released the following 8-minute interview with head coach Eddie Howe ahead of the season opener against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Howe has had a full pre-season to implement his footballing philosophy this summer. While it’s still a work in progress, the early signs are promising as witnessed in the pre-season friendlies against Atalanta and Athletic Club.

The transfer window is still open with Howe vowing to continue to work to strengthen his squad. The transfer tally so far stands at three with the quality additions of Nick Pope and Sven Botman along with the return of Matt Targett on a permanent basis.

Howe is now settled with his family on Tyneside after being away from them last season while he implemented a minor miracle in keeping the club in the Premier League. The new season is almost upon us and Newcastle United are just getting started.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:29 AM

Here’s hoping for some positive attacking transfer movement today as a little lift before the match tomorrow.

Not that I think we particularly need it. I think the home fans will smash it out of the park and the Forest team won’t know what’s hit them.

Very unsure on what our starting line-up will be though. Especially in defence as Botman has been superb pre season but wondering if Howe will slowly bed him into the league like he did with Bruno. Especially after seeing how well that worked with Bruno as when he did finally start games he was on fire.

• DayvanCowboy

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Got back in the country yesterday after 32 hours worth of travelling, tickets for Forest, Man City and Palace in the bag before I head back to Angola, my old man is absolutely buzzing, he wanted a season ticket (hasn’t had one since 2016 he cancelled after the relegation and just took up his Hartlepool season ticket instead) but without been tech savvy he didn’t know where to start with getting one on the day online, I managed get me and him a membership and sorted the tickets when I was away, he was over the moon when I popped round last night and told him.

So if anyone sees some 6ft6 lad with a full on mullet and moustache tomorrow, give me a shout haha.

• DayvanCowboy

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:42 AM

Adamn_92, I’m trying to keep the ball on the deck with transfers and not get my hopes up, but I agree, would be nice to hear something potentially happening today or hear a fee agreed, was talking to a lad on the plane yesterday on my Frankfurt connection back to Newcastle and he was raging that we hadn’t signed anyone, tried to talk him down but nope, he also thinks we’ll get beat tomorrow, so obviously some negativity within some supporter groups by the sounds of it….. I’ll maybe worry if we get to the final week of the window with no action, but there’s still a full month so I’m more than happy to be patient.

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:44 AM

It’ll be an interesting season, also see if any of the big 6 implode.

Looking forward to hopefully being in the mid table mono league (with Leicester, West ham, Wolves, Villa)

See how we do.

Still it shows how unbelievably short the team was run under Ashley, and the money needed to step up.

Could beat forest but as Carltoon inferred – this is Newcastle (terrible luck). Wants us to do better.

Id say 2-1 win with usual daft goal conceded.

(screenshot my league prediction, as I’ll never find it again – aimed high at 5th)

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:44 AM

Dayvan

Amazing news, can only imagine what a lovely surprise that was for your old man, must have blown him away! I thought my 12 hour coach trip up North for a game was an ordeal, let alone 32 hours so fair play to you! What a treat as well that he’ll get to see the opening game as the Wor Flags display I think should be something special.

Hope you and your old man enjoy it and see an opening day victory 🙂

• jasper

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:45 AM

Wor B
    I signed up to FF last night.
    I have done so before but didn’t keep up. Now retired so going to try harder.
    But if the league is full now just let me know.
    Thanks

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:49 AM

Adam

I think Botman is a different situation to Bruno.

Bruno had to displace someone in a midfield with everyone raising their game battling to keep their place.

Botman has had plenty time to gel with the squad and take in Eddie’s ways and wants.

New season clean slate, I’d go with Botman.

• DayvanCowboy

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:51 AM

Adamn_92, cheers man, aye should be a great day, don’t think I’ve been to an opening day game since 2012/13 when Ba and Ben Arfa scored against Spurs, mainly because I’d have been away somewhere, used to always be in the boxes as my old man used to have lots of business with Bell Valves back in the day, always a great experience when I was a kid. I’ll probably end up as his minder throughout the day, I’m virtually tee-total and he’s still an utter sesh machine, so I’ll be making sure he gets back home alright haha

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:52 AM

Toonarmy

There’s usually one of the top 6 who have a bit of an ‘off season’, with Arsenal being the side last season finishing 8th.

It’s hard to see who it may be this season though. Arsenal look stronger with the likes of Jesus up front and Zinchenko signed. An impressive pre season too.
    Manure I guess it could go either way and too early to tell, Ten Hag will either transform them or may struggle in a new league. Chelsea have strengthened and look to keep signing players. Also with Abramovich gone and Lukaku gone, maybe the overall feeling around the place may have improved. Man City and Liverpool are obviously way ahead of everyone at the moment and continue to be with strong signings up top. Spurs have strengthened as well and feel like Conte is finally having his impact and getting them set up well with a dangerous attacking line.

So it’s hard to see early doors which of them may not do so well this season. If I was forced to choose, I think i’d say it’s between Arsenal and Manure again. Feel like Arsenal will still have those moments where they look amazing one week, then come apart the next week. Also feel like problems at Manure won’t be instantly turned around just with a new manager and in the space of one season. If they have a bad patch, their fans will turn quickly and the mood will go sour again.

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Jasper

I can see you on Ed’s main league.

I’ll ask Neil to send you the H2H D3 code. You need to register before 18:30 today. Good luck.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Wor B

I get what you’re saying, but can’t underappreciated how much the pairing of Schar and Botman helped us last season. Which i’m sure Howe will be taking into consideration. Botman has looked class so far but it’s been in pre season only and the Premier League is very different as we all know. So I don’t think it’s a guarantee that he starts by any means. I would personally start him but would understand if Howe doesn’t straight away.

Dayvan

Aye it’ll be a corker of a day i’m sure, think Wor Flags said they’re planning something special so should be quite some sight to take in. Hope your old man doesn’t hit it too hard or all the flags waving could put him in a trance haha

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:56 AM

Oops still too early for my brain to work properly.

Meant the pairing of Schar and Burn can’t be underappreciated, obviously 🙂

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:06 AM

Yanited
    @NE5westend
    2h
    Sadly passed away on this day in 1994: Terry Hibbitt

• dazzler

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:10 AM

Mund,

Unless they want over £40m as that’s our upper threshold it seems hahaha.

Mental that we can sign him but effectively have to loan him back for 18 months until he’s 18 because of brexit. Although, that could be an absolute blessing if Braga continue playing him regularly.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:12 AM

Wor B

Howe has just been bigging up Botman and saying he thinks he’s ready to play, so you may well be right and he comes straight in tomorrow 🙂

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:12 AM

20 people will have been sent the FPL H2H D3 code when Jasper gets it.

Applications are now closed.

Golf time,

Laters.

• dazzler

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:13 AM

Line up prediction

Pope
    Trips–Schar–Burn–Targett
    –Bruno–Joelinton–Willock–
    –Miggy–Wilson–Maxi–

Personally, think Howe should go balls to the wall and play Botman, but think he’ll stick with Burn for now.

I’m going 3-1 to the toon, Wilson 2, Miggy 1

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:15 AM

Did I actually read that right?
    Mund was accusing Ashingtoon last night
    Of throwing tantrums and using cliche speak
    That’s taking irony level to a whole new peak
    He’s the gift that keeps giving, it never gets old
    As wor Tuffers would say, “That’s pure comedy gold”

😀

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM

dazzler

I really hope we sign him mate. He has mega talent!

It will take a while to get our youth system in tip top shape but down the line we will have many who are considered top talent, working their way through the system to be a part of the first team.

I’d love to see by the end of the window with not only bringing in the attacking players we need but also signing a couple of youngsters like Roger Fernandes. It looks like that’s what they are trying to do.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:21 AM

Howe on Botman: “He’s ready to play. Seen him during pre-season and what a talent he is. I think he’s going to be everything we hoped he’d be. Very good defensively & technically. What I do with Sven you’ll find out, but I’ve been so pleased with the signing”

[Via Keith Downie]

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:22 AM

Howe on transfer policy: “We haven’t got a free reign, free hand, that maybe had been perceived in the media that we can sign whoever we want and pay extortionate fees and wages. We’re not in that position, I don’t think we will be for some period of time”#NUFC

[Via @lee_ryder]

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:23 AM

Dazzler

I too think Howe may opt for Schar and Burn to start with, as they done so well together last season so may see it as ‘their roles to lose’. But Howe has been bigging up Botman this morning so could be throwing him straight in tomorrow. I think he’s ready but wouldn’t be annoyed or surprised if he doesn’t start right away.

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:23 AM

Did we sign that Braga youth player? (must’ve missed it)

• Dubai Micky

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:25 AM

Saudi bidding for the 2029 Asian WINTER games (bit like winter Olympics).

It’s snow joke, I predict Neom will be on our shirts next season.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:26 AM

Interesting comments from Howe about the window. Maybe shows that we are being limited somewhat by a budget of some sort or other restrictions such as the dreaded ‘F word’.

Either that or it’s a message to other clubs that we won’t pay over what we think is a fair offer. In the Maddison case though I think he’s worth around £60m and certainly wouldn’t be getting ripped off if we paid that.

• magicmac54

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:39 AM

Good Morning fellow Toon fans on the eve of a potentially very exciting and successful season!! We still don`t really know if we will get Maddison across the line or not, but here is a good little link showing the reason Leicester signed Maddison, i honestly didn`t realise how good he was, but more importantly how creative he was, exactly what we have been missing in our midfield for quite an number of years HWTL

• jezza442

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:26 AM

Martoon
    7th position
    69 points
    67goals for
    League cup win
    Fa cup semi
    Guimareche blog player of season
    Wilson top scorer