web analytics

Eddie Howe Fields A Familiar Eleven In Our Predicted Team For Forest

This is the team I am predicting Eddie Howe will name for tomorrow’s match against Nottingham Forest at St. James’ Park. It has just one change (Fabian Schar in for Lascelles) to the side that closed last season with a 2-1 win at Burnley.

Eddie Howe has had a full pre-season to prepare the lads with two new faces in the ranks. However, the side that starts this campaign may not look too different from the one that ended the previous one with impressive aplomb.

Howe has some selection headaches in multiple areas of the pitch. The two new signings, Nick Pope and Sven Botman, have made their case for debuts tomorrow. However, Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn have done the same to keep their place.

I suspect Howe will keep Dubravka in between the posts until the need arises to make a change. Martin has been excellent this pre-season and arguably outplayed Pope for the right to start the campaign as the number one.

The center-back partnership of Fabian Schar and Dan Burn were excellent last season. While Botman is knocking on the door with a stellar pre-season, Howe may opt to stick with the experienced pair, at least at the start.

Schar suffered an injury late last season which saw Lascelles come back into the fold. Howe really rates Schar’s ability on the ball so I see Fabian keeping our captain on the bench once again.

It wouldn’t be a shock to see Botman or Pope tomorrow, especially Botman whose pre-season is deserving of a start. I just get the inkling Howe will go Dubravka and Burn in the opening match. He eased Bruno in last season and may do the same with Sven.

Howe’s midfield decision is made slightly easier with Jonjo Shelvey’s absence. The vice-captain was also sidelined down the stretch last season when Sean Longstaff got some starts.

Longstaff’s ability to play a deeper role allows Bruno to push forward. Therefore, I think Sean gets the nod over Joe Willock, who may see himself resume his super-sub role more often this season.

The front three pick themselves. Miguel Almiron has been a bright spark this summer and deserves to play on the right. He’ll have Ryan Fraser nipping at his toes which will hopefully keep Miggy’s levels high.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:53 PM

Dammit I didn’t even sort my FPL out 🙁 great start 😆

Ffs

• Moonraker15

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM

Can someone explain how Chelsea can spend so much money this season after spending a fortune last season? FFP? What are the rules?

• AncientC

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:56 PM

There’s a free £5 bet for this weekends games on PP.

No spending requirements — completely free.
    (For anybody interested)

• The Prince's Mate

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:57 PM

Got to hand it to Chelsea, I thought after the t/over they may have been shackled a little but it seems to be full steam ahead with them…now….NUFC??

• Ronway

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM

I guess this means there’s still a chance for those who missed the “deadline” for the FPL and H2H-D3; although I hope it doesn’t cause problems for those who have worked so hard to set things up so far!

If you failed to register a Fantasy Premier League team ahead of the Gameweek 1 deadline, all is not lost.

In fact, you could now have an advantage over your FPL mini-league rivals.

While fellow managers will have second-guessed Premier League managers’ opening-weekend line-ups, hoping to identify that budget breakthrough defender or the stellar summer signing who hits the ground running, you can register a squad now and enjoy the following benefits:

Unlimited free transfers before the Gameweek 2 deadline of 11:00 BST on Saturday 13 August. So while your peers will be using their free transfers, taking points hits or even using their Wildcard (!), you’ll have a fresh-looking team with all your chips intact.

Build your squad using the £100m budget with players who a) are confirmed starters in Premier League matches, b) score the most FPL points in Gameweek 1, and c) receive the bonus points.

If you opt to fill your squad exclusively with the highest FPL points-scorers from the Gameweek 1 matches, it’s likely you’ll benefit from price rises before the Gameweek 2 deadline. With a little bit more money in the bank, that extra £0.5m could prove invaluable.

Teams such as West Ham United embark on a favourable run of matches from Gameweek 2, taking on Nottingham Forest, Brighton & Hove Albion and Aston Villa. Moving for the likes of Jarrod Bowen (£8.5m) and Michail Antonio (£7.5m) could provide you with an advantage over your rivals.

Establish if there are players who are playing out of position, e.g. a defender playing in a more advanced attacking midfield position. Consider signing them up for increased points potential at both ends of the pitch.

You can still join all the mini-leagues that started scoring points in Gameweek 1. You’ll quickly make up lost ground. You can also invite friends and colleagues to join a league that starts scoring in Gameweek 2. A win-win situation!

So, start tinkering with your squad now!

Register your team at fantasy.premierleague.com before the Gameweek 2 deadline of 11:00 BST on Saturday 13 August.

• Scythe

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:04 PM

Jesus and Saka starting for Arsenal, which is good for my FPL team. I wasn’t in the 53% of managers who picked Haaland. I have Saliba on the bench, but wish I’d started him now. Oh well! Immediate FPL regret…

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:07 PM

I put zinchenko in as defender, hoping he’d start in mid. It’s happened hope it pays off.

• The Ledge

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:10 PM

Jay….me too my 3 Arsenal picks all start

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:11 PM

Ronway

A prerequisite for joining Ed’s H2H is that you are already registered in the main league with a recognisable blog name in your team or manager name.

I hope we don’t get anyone trying to take advantage of what has been set up to be an asset to the blog.

• The Ledge

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:11 PM

Great news on Eddie’s contract.

• Scythe

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:13 PM

Just checked and as far as I can see you can’t join a H2H league after gameweek 1.

• wynsleap

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:14 PM

Never mind Chelsea how about Nottingham Forest?
    Apparently they’ve spent around £80m and are still talking about more signings.
    How can they do this? Where is their revenue compared to ours?
    I think this FFP is just a load of BS and maybe a slight excuse for not going too mad on the chequebook.
    Anyway the hard work begins tomorrow. Let’s hope the whole squad is up for it and ready to show the League that the Mags are back.
    Decent team Neil but I would have Willock in for Longstaff any day, maybe even Elliott as welI but can’t help thinking, however, how Maddison would have given that midfield a star studded polish.
    I also believe we can’t leave Botman out for too long.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:14 PM

No Paqueta got Lyon tonight…

Very interesting.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Scratch that it was a mistake

• scott

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Rom #26

Won’t be me, I didn’t get my brown envelope off in time! 😀

• Ronway

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Wor B – #49

Sorry if my comment creates a problem although I’m sure no-one on this blog would dream of taking any advantage of those registered in League 3.

After all it’s the same league that Sunderland play in!

😀

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Martoon, sorry I did that prediction on the hoof at Faro airport.

Player of the season?

The guy who is class, but not yet world class.

Bruuuuno…

• A Geordie Mongrel

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:18 PM

Delighted with the news about Eddie’s new contract extension. It sends a clear “hands off” to all potential suitors.

Good luck to everyone in the fantasy leagues, I hope you have fun. Not really my scene, I’m having enough problems deciding on my blog predictions. Better get my act together. 🙂

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:18 PM

The Ledge, are you H2H div 2?

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:19 PM

😆 he canny help himself

What a silly man

• AnyToon in Indiana

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:19 PM

45 minute to season kicks off!

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:20 PM

WL, welcome home mate, hope you had a good one. Portugal was lovely, although getting pricey, and we spent a lot of time by the pool rather than investigating local history etc

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:20 PM

Thought you’d like that.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:21 PM

Paqueta starts but he said he hopes it’s his last game

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:23 PM

There are 17 players in H2H D3 atm.

By my reckoning, everyone should play each other twice, plus a dummy ID twice (average FPL score).

That will take you to GW34.

Then the last 4 weeks you should play 4 managers (or the dummy ID) for a third time.

• The Ledge

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:25 PM

Jay…im in Div 1 mate.

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:27 PM

Ronway

I don’t know how to break this to you gently, so I’ll just blurt it out.

Sunlun are in the Championship!

😮

• Toonces

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:28 PM

Regarding Elliot Anderson, where is his best position? I haven’t seen enough of him to know for sure.

Can he play in a midfield three or is better suited to be one of three attacking mids in a 4-2-3-1 such as a 10 or wide forward?

Seemed to be he is better as an attacking mid/forward than box to box. Thought he excelled when more advanced and struggled a bit when in the thick of it.

So provided Howe stays with the 4-3-3 it seems to me he is more likely to be a sub for Max and Willlock/Longstaff/Shelvey (when fit) will be the rotating/starting in the midfield with Bruno and Joelinton the regular starters.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:28 PM

The Ledge, champion. Thought you were competition for a second. Haha, best of luck mate.

• AncientC

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:30 PM

The H2H matches are not generated yet, but if you go to the H2H standings tab, you can see other people’s teams.

• clinath@ed

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:31 PM

WorB
    Is that where you expect me to end up at the end of the season?
    🙁

• cyprus

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:31 PM

Neil
    I think twin towers at the back, Willock in the middle and Pope.

Is it five subs?

If so, I think we’re both right. Half time, three changes. Last two subs in the last ten minutes.

Man I hope we win. Project on the right footing and all that.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:32 PM

Toonces

He can play all across the front line but I get the impression Eddie sees him more central.

He is versatile tho and can play as a winger, inside forward or more of a CAM

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:32 PM

I haven’t even looked at my squad for FPL never mind my actual first 11 😳

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:35 PM

Rumours of the club using Maddison as a smoke screen to get Paqueta

Wouldn’t surprise me tbh

If we get either I’d be on cloud 9

• DKillers

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:36 PM

I’m hoping Botman and Pope are in the starting 11 tomorrow.

• DKillers

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:37 PM

Mund, why would we need a smokescreen to get Paqueta? We’ve been linked for months.

• clinath@ed

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:38 PM

I hope so too Mund

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:40 PM

DKillers

Maybe they played hardball as we heard rumours of them wanting to much. So going for another player of the same position and nobody else going in for Paqueta it could help with returning for negotiations.

Many clubs do this and it’s a clever tact

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:44 PM

I thought Mund was kidding, so I looked at his FPL team.

He wasn’t.