web analytics

Eddie Howe Fields A Familiar Eleven In Our Predicted Team For Forest

This is the team I am predicting Eddie Howe will name for tomorrow’s match against Nottingham Forest at St. James’ Park. It has just one change (Fabian Schar in for Lascelles) to the side that closed last season with a 2-1 win at Burnley.

Eddie Howe has had a full pre-season to prepare the lads with two new faces in the ranks. However, the side that starts this campaign may not look too different from the one that ended the previous one with impressive aplomb.

Howe has some selection headaches in multiple areas of the pitch. The two new signings, Nick Pope and Sven Botman, have made their case for debuts tomorrow. However, Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn have done the same to keep their place.

I suspect Howe will keep Dubravka in between the posts until the need arises to make a change. Martin has been excellent this pre-season and arguably outplayed Pope for the right to start the campaign as the number one.

The center-back partnership of Fabian Schar and Dan Burn were excellent last season. While Botman is knocking on the door with a stellar pre-season, Howe may opt to stick with the experienced pair, at least at the start.

Schar suffered an injury late last season which saw Lascelles come back into the fold. Howe really rates Schar’s ability on the ball so I see Fabian keeping our captain on the bench once again.

It wouldn’t be a shock to see Botman or Pope tomorrow, especially Botman whose pre-season is deserving of a start. I just get the inkling Howe will go Dubravka and Burn in the opening match. He eased Bruno in last season and may do the same with Sven.

Howe’s midfield decision is made slightly easier with Jonjo Shelvey’s absence. The vice-captain was also sidelined down the stretch last season when Sean Longstaff got some starts.

Longstaff’s ability to play a deeper role allows Bruno to push forward. Therefore, I think Sean gets the nod over Joe Willock, who may see himself resume his super-sub role more often this season.

The front three pick themselves. Miguel Almiron has been a bright spark this summer and deserves to play on the right. He’ll have Ryan Fraser nipping at his toes which will hopefully keep Miggy’s levels high.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DKillers

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:49 PM

Maybe, Mund. I just don’t see Lyon panicking to any degree over Newcastle going after Maddison.

I’d be thrilled with either, but I do feel like the Maddison dream Is slipping away.

• IrishRob

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:56 PM

Wor there is now 18 in my league so somone must habe came in at the last second.

• Toon_Barmy

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM

Keith Downie says he’d be very surprised if Maddison ends up in a toon shirt. I agree. Seems we chances our arm with a ‘low ball’ offer and probably move on. Just hope we don’t end up looking foolish like with the managerial search

• jasper

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:01 PM

Wor B

Due to various factors I missed 6:30.
    Looks like no go this season.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:11 PM

Hawkhunter/Scott, looks like I’m against you first game, not a bad team you’ve got… gulp, good luck fella.

• Ronway

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:14 PM

Wor B – #67

Thanks for breaking it gently regarding “them”; appreciated!

😉

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:16 PM

IRob

The D3 team named ‘Average’ is a dummy team added by the system to ensure everyone gets a game each week.

The 2 weeks you are drawn against ‘Average’ you are playing against the FPL average score.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:17 PM

Wor

It says it all when you know more about my team than I do 😳 😆

Been trying to remind myself but as you know that hasn’t worked out to well.

Do I ever want to look…?

• IrishRob

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:17 PM

Arsenal look very very very good. Palace slightly coming back into it.

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:19 PM

Albert Albert is playing Average this week in D3.

AA just needs to be better than the average FPL score to pick up the 3 points.

🙂

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:20 PM

Mund

Probs best if you don’t look.

😮

• IrishRob

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM

Ffs nevermind I get why the 18th team showed up.

• AncientC

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:22 PM

That is 2 seasons in a row I have played my H2H opener against The Maggie Thatcher’s, aka, DubaiMicky.

The AncientC’s are going to bring it home for the shoplifters of the world.

And as I speak, Martinelli (who I have) scores.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:25 PM

DKillers

This is all hypothetical.

Imagine we went in for Paqueta early doors, made enquiries and at that time Lyon demand what they think is be valuation which is well north of our own. They can also state they have a lot of interest etc to get us to bite and pay the asking price. We don’t budge and walk away from the table. Month or so later no other team has enquired or made moves on Lucas and by now Paqueta has stated that he wants to leave. Apparently saying tonight that he hopes it’s his last game.

Now Lyon have a player who wants to leave and the longer they hold out they more money they lose on the deal. We return to the table and negotiations are a little easier with a bit more wiggle room.

I think this is how we’ve played the window so far. We won’t pay this Newcastle tax that every club seems to add on. The owners won’t be took for mugs and it will take a few windows for that to take full effect with the world football knowing we won’t over pay regardless of the wealth.

Lyon will of done the same if we have actually made enquires or any kind of move on Paqueta.

Early window they held all the cards but now they don’t hold them all. If that makes any sense

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:27 PM

Wor

😳

😆

Wildcard gameweek 2…? 😆 ffs

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:28 PM

do your subs on fantasy football points only count if they end up in your starting 11?

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:29 PM

Naptoon, yes, unless you play bench boost. But I’d wait till double game weeks to play it

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:30 PM

Bollix zinchenko sub for me gw1 and behind James to come on.

• Ronway

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM

Well this FPL is a stitch-up!

First time player I’m and already 7-0 down to Ruddy Marveaux-lous; I thought I was playing against the likes of Sunderland.

😉

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM

Naptoon, it’s only first game mate, don’t get stressed yet, ive got White on bench and its costing me also… Good game this though.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM

Graeme Bailey

@GraemeBailey
    Newcastle to back away from James Maddison and Jack Harrison pursuits.

But the club are already working on other options.

@90min_Football

• Luigitoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:34 PM

Test

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:34 PM

Transfer fees we are being quoted will start to drop once players start stamping their feet and end of window creeps closer…..clubs will wanna get their replacements lined up so I’m thinking now next 2 weeks for us will be interesting.

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM

Jay b there’s a couple might not play in my starting 11 ….I’ve got miggy, McGinnis and Watkins in so they might not start.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:38 PM

nap

Exactly mate.

A lot of clubs will stand firm but a lot will also fold. It’s a risky strategy but can pay off

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:39 PM

Aye one thing for sure Saudis have got patience ……they waited about 10 years for that journalist …..that’s my politically incorrect joke of the day …..apologies to those with sensitive ears.(or eyes even).

• Wor B

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:40 PM

Yikes!

I’ve got NY Mag in the H2H

He’s like a surgeon.

You don’t feel the blade as it slips between your ribs!

😮

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:41 PM

Naptoon, you only get points from your 11, your bench is just incase you have injuries or suspensions. You got to pick and choose who’s best. You get 1 free transfer a week to change it.

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:42 PM

Check the toastie has got a rudey (or ironic) team name ……(awaiting moderation lol)

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:43 PM

Jay
    Aye that’s what I thought if your selections don’t play it goes to no.1 on bench then no2 etc ….is that rite?

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:44 PM

Or if 1 of your starting line up is just not selected is it tuff tats.

• Luigitoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:46 PM

Evening all, long time lurker making his debut.
    Very well deserved new contract for EH, hopeful that he can carry on the progression that he’s made with this team over the season.

• naptoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:47 PM

All the signs are there that this is just the start for him and us so fingers crossed and welcome to the blog.

• Romford mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:47 PM

Jay

Watch Scott mate !

That’s all I’m saying! 😉

• Romford mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:48 PM

Luigitoon

Welcome to the blog mate

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:48 PM

Naptoon, if you have a non starter, I think it goes to subs, but not sure. Others will tell you better than me.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:50 PM

Rom, looking at his team I think he’s won already, unless Miggy has a blinder tomorrow 🙂 . I’m thinking I’ve put too much money in defence haha, we’ll see.

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM

Sad news, R. I. P.
    Laura Milburn – ‘lovely, lovely woman’ and widow of Newcastle United legend ‘wor Jackie’ – dies at 94
    Tributes have been paid to Jackie Milburn’s widow Laura – who has died at age 94

• Romford mag