web analytics

Eddie Howe Fields A Familiar Eleven In Our Predicted Team For Forest

This is the team I am predicting Eddie Howe will name for tomorrow’s match against Nottingham Forest at St. James’ Park. It has just one change (Fabian Schar in for Lascelles) to the side that closed last season with a 2-1 win at Burnley.

Eddie Howe has had a full pre-season to prepare the lads with two new faces in the ranks. However, the side that starts this campaign may not look too different from the one that ended the previous one with impressive aplomb.

Howe has some selection headaches in multiple areas of the pitch. The two new signings, Nick Pope and Sven Botman, have made their case for debuts tomorrow. However, Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn have done the same to keep their place.

I suspect Howe will keep Dubravka in between the posts until the need arises to make a change. Martin has been excellent this pre-season and arguably outplayed Pope for the right to start the campaign as the number one.

The center-back partnership of Fabian Schar and Dan Burn were excellent last season. While Botman is knocking on the door with a stellar pre-season, Howe may opt to stick with the experienced pair, at least at the start.

Schar suffered an injury late last season which saw Lascelles come back into the fold. Howe really rates Schar’s ability on the ball so I see Fabian keeping our captain on the bench once again.

It wouldn’t be a shock to see Botman or Pope tomorrow, especially Botman whose pre-season is deserving of a start. I just get the inkling Howe will go Dubravka and Burn in the opening match. He eased Bruno in last season and may do the same with Sven.

Howe’s midfield decision is made slightly easier with Jonjo Shelvey’s absence. The vice-captain was also sidelined down the stretch last season when Sean Longstaff got some starts.

Longstaff’s ability to play a deeper role allows Bruno to push forward. Therefore, I think Sean gets the nod over Joe Willock, who may see himself resume his super-sub role more often this season.

The front three pick themselves. Miguel Almiron has been a bright spark this summer and deserves to play on the right. He’ll have Ryan Fraser nipping at his toes which will hopefully keep Miggy’s levels high.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Scythe

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:06 AM

11hrs 54mins to kick-off. I’m going to bed early like it’s Christmas so I’ll ‘wake up quicker’ like we did as bairns. Can’t wait! 😀

• cyprus

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:00 AM

Anyone looking for easy money, arsenal win (too late), Leeds draw, Villa win. Combine for mega bucks.

• long ball

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:00 AM

Does anyond know if old season ticket cards from last season work ? Or have new ones been posted for this season?

• valle

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:16 AM

• Toon_Barmy

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:19 AM

No sh*t Valle haha. The ever reliable Sun reporting that Paquetta holding out for a move to Spurs over Arsenal, not even a mention of us. Arrrggh!

• valle

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:47 AM

Toon Barmy

There was allot of people on here who didnt believe is was Paqueta on the picture… If he went to Spurs or Arsenal, it would be a kick in the teeth, because I genuinely believe that he would chose us if we had an offer accepted. But we will march on for better things no matter what.

• Toon_Barmy

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:01 AM

I’m sure Paquetta will move this window and it would be a killer if he went to another Prem club. Are we genuinely interested though? It would be an amazing signing for sure

• catchy in norway

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:19 AM

Wor B,

I’m not registered? How ? Is there still time

• catchy in norway

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:22 AM

It’s show time, i hope everyone had a great summer.

Good luck to everyone in the fantasy league.

Great to see 78% have voted for a win today, and only 11% think we will lose today.

• Pat Mania

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:24 AM

Pope,
    Trippier, Schar, Botman, Targett,
    Joelinton, Guimaraes, Willock,
    Saint-Maximin, Wilson, Almiron

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:24 AM

I’ll do the honours for the first game….

It’s maaaatch daaay!!!

🙂

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:27 AM

Paqueta to Spurs or Arsenal would be a right kick in the balls and anyway, we need him more.

Come on Mandy, pull the pin and lob that grenade into the league.

• martoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:33 AM

long ball @243 We received new ST cards about a couple of weeks ago. In previous years they’ve allowed old cards to work for the first couple of home games to allow for postal delays etc. but I don’t know about this year!

• Bambams

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:34 AM

Munster

I am like a kid again this morning !

How we would love a nice start today, three points would be ideal.

Enjoy the game you lot !

• Not another deJong

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:36 AM

Any toast going?

• martoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:36 AM

Catchy- you should have been emailed a league code from Neil (nufc blog admin). Wor B has been screaming for you to join for the last week!

• Wor B

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:45 AM

Catchy

You missed the deadline to enter the H2H code.

IrishRob is the D3 administrator, I don’t know if it’s possible for him to open / close the league for you to join late, or if the D3 members want to allow a late entry even if it is possible?

Damn it! If only I’d sent out reminders.

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:47 AM

Happy battering of Forest day folks!

• Wor B

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:49 AM

Sorry NadJ

I burned the toast this morning.

I hope Sparky is having better luck with his match day lucky breakfast!

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:52 AM

It’s OK by me Wor, I don’t eat bread.

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:55 AM

It’s crazy how for a solid week everyone was sending out reminders for the h2h3 league and no one seen them, yet within the last 12 or so hrs of the deadline closing everyone starts appearing again. Wtf like! Lol

• martoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:57 AM

Morning Guys – final call for predictions:

For anybody who hasn’t played before a bunch of us have a go at predicting how we’ll do this season which I record and then at the end of the season I have a look and see who was the closest – no prize but the kudos of being ‘Blog Prediction King (or Queen) – the title is currently held by Adamn_92.

So I need your predictions for the following:-
    Final League Position
    Final no. of points
    Goals Scored (Premiership)
    League Cup round (2 = Entry, 7 = Final)
    FA Cup round (3 = Entry, 8 = Final)
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top goal scorer (TGS)
    No. of goals scored by TGS

Currently I have predictions from (apologies if I missed yours):-
    DKillers
    jezza442
    Munster Mag
    Hong Kong Magpie
    gazthehillbilly
    Ashingtoon62

When you post could you put my name somewhere in your post which makes it easier for me to find your predictions.

I’ll run this to lunchtime!

• Wor B

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:57 AM

Some got a flyer on FPL.

After one fixture last night…

D1 Asi fish 22points

D2. Scott. 20 points

D3. Local Hero 23 points

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:58 AM

Rob, I’d just take the win. They were very good against prem teams like Leicester and Liverpool last season. Also, first game in prem so hyper motivated I’m sure. My Forest mate is going and even says he’ll wear his shirt as he’s so excited. Should be safe in the Toon?

• Darnik

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:01 AM

Gutted I had zinchenco and martinelli in my team then transferred them out 🙄

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:06 AM

Munster they definitely could have that promotion bounce, but I think they will be disjointed asf, they bought practically a whole new team and most players they bought were in or around the 5-10M mark.

I also had a look at their preseason games they won a few games against poor opposition and they lost a few games against ok opposition, it stuck me looking at it as championship level results.

I wouldn’t be scared of them tbh. Especially knowing the fast aggressive and competent passing style we seem to be able to play these days. I’ll be shocked if we don’t win and I expect a good win tbh.

• lochinvar

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM

Scythe
    11hrs 54mins to kick-off. I’m going to bed early like it’s Christmas so I’ll ‘wake up quicker’ like we did as bairns. Can’t wait.

LOL.
    says it all

Hope Santa’s good to you.
    I’ve asked for a Paqueta Action Man to love. Apparently the Maddison one is too scary, maybe next year.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM

As someone who has organised a FPL league for years and regularly is the organiser of other things like that, I really appreciate when others do the work instead! And I definitely understand your pain with cat herding and the people who leave it late! Especially those who come too late!

• Wor B

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:17 AM

TDS

Cheers, if some of that was for me.

It has all been worthwhile.

Especially since I found a couple of Arsenal players ditched at the side of the road by Darnik and I put them in my FPL team.

😆

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:18 AM

Mund @ 176 You can blame Mrs Pugalot for Cbeebies bed time stories. She started that off when Producer at BBC, must have been 20 years ago!

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:21 AM

More I think about it the more I’m wondering were those Maddison bids really genuine way under valuing his price so we either get him cheap or they would most likelyreject it.

Why aren’t they going for Paqueta especially knowing we actually want an AM now, and that he would be the easiest signing weve ever gone for, doesn’t make sense.

Something came into my head this morning, notice how over the last few weeks they seem to be indicating they have around 40M to spend, I’m wondering were all these bids a way of publicly making Lyon aware that we will only pay 40M as a way to stop them from from overcharging us, knowing he desperately wants to come here and taking advantage of that situation.

Then over the next week or two they out of nowhere make their move. Who knows maybe Howe did flat out lie to fans about him not coming here, I just can’t see it thought, that’s the one bit that still makes me think it’s not happening.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:32 AM

Wor B – was definitely for you! And for everyone else who helped out by trying to cajole people to joining the leagues in plenty of time. Good effort!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:34 AM

The day that nobody mentions bloody Paqueta on this blog, I promise not to mention golf.

Anyway, I’m off to play golf…

• Darnik

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:38 AM

Worb
    So that’s where the sneaky buggers went 😆

• Darnik

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:38 AM

Can’t wait to have Paqueta in my fpl team 😉

• Wor B

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Off to play golf my @rse.

Don’t be fooled folks.

TDS is away to shoot Santa.

😉

• sing in the corner

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:39 AM

Martoon

Final League Position: 10th
    Final no. of points: 56
    Goals Scored (Premiership): 54
    League Cup round (2 = Entry, 7 = Final): 6
    FA Cup round (3 = Entry, 8 = Final): 6
    Player of the Season (Blog): Sven Botman
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Cullum Wilson
    No. of goals scored by TGS: 14

As ever, cheers for doing the comp.

• sing in the corner

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:41 AM

Just had a paquet a crisps. Salt n vinegard. Can’t beat them.

• Toon fans bad

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:45 AM

I see Eddie made it blatantly clear yesterday our transfer dealings are being hindered by adhering to FFP at the moment. Looks like it’ll be a few years time after they’ve grown income considerably through sponsorship and other commercial activites for them to loosen the purse strings. Seems the 40 mill ish is their max spend at the moment on a project player.
    Hopefully Dan Ashworth can find some little gems along the way.

• Darnik