web analytics

Howe Provides Injury Update And Potential Selection Hints Ahead Of Nottingham Forest

Eddie Howe has given his press conference ahead of tomorrow’s match against Nottingham Forest to kick off the new campaign. He immediately confirmed that the injury situation was clearing up with Javier Manquillo back in training and Fede Fernandez and Jamal Lewis close.

However, the extent of Jonjo Shelvey’s hamstring problem is still unknown. Here is some of Howe’s update per Newcastle’s Twitter account:

“Jonjo is in London tonight for another assessment so we don’t have a clear, defined timeframe on his injury.

“Jamal Lewis and Federico Fernández are working their way and shouldn’t be too long. Manquillo is back in training too so we’re not too bad.”

Some reports claimed Shelvey was initially expected to only miss a couple of matches. Hopefully, that remains the case as the 30-year-old put in a tremendous amount of work ahead of pre-season to get into tremendous physical condition.

One player who could benefit from Shelvey’s absence is Sean Longstaff. The local lad has had a spectacular pre-season after signing a new deal in May. It could be Sean who gets the nod tomorrow over Joe Willock.

Howe was asked about the Geordie and had this to say:

“Every day in training he gives everything – he loves the club. He’s got a big part to play.”

Howe has some selection headaches in multiple areas of the pitch, midfield being just one. New signings Nick Pope and Sven Botman are pushing Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn, who have been equally strong this summer.

Botman has been especially eye-catching with his cool demeanor, dominance in the air, and range of passing. The 22-year-old may have done enough to unseat Burn in the starting eleven despite his inexperience in England.

Howe has been extremely impressed with the Dutchman saying:

“I think he’s ready to play. I’ve seen him during pre-season and what a talent he is. I think he’s going to be everything we hoped he would be. He’s technically very good, very strong, and very good defensively.

“We look at every player individually and try to make the right call for them and the team so what I do with Sven you’ll find out but I’ve been very pleased with the signing.”

It’s a nail-biter as to who will get into the starting eleven against Forest. The battle for that left-sided center-back position could go either way. The anticipation is building to see who Howe goes with for the season opener.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• outside the box

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:28 AM

hope elliot gets debut

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:28 AM

Let’s hope we can keep this lad more on the field this coming season…

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:29 AM

Howe on Forest: “They’re dangerous opponents. Steve Cooper has done a brilliant job, to pick them up after missing on automatic promotion & going up via the play-offs. They play an attractive style & we don’t underestimate them at all.” #NUFC

[Via @ChrisDHWaugh]

• outside the box

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM

asked does anyone know when 25 man squad has to be put to premier league?
    will be interesting to see..

• Arthur Romsdale

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM

Getting the jitters 😀

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM

Howe on Maddison: “I’m not going to talk about any individual players. I have respect for them and their club, but we’re working hard to try and add to the group.” #NUFC

[Via @lee_ryder]

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:31 AM

“We have missed a couple of players because they wanted to go elsewhere”

I think those suggesting that if we wanted a player then we would have got them, it may not quite ring true. By Howe’s own admission we have missed out as they wanted to sign for someone else. That could mean any number of players as we don’t know who are true targets are. But the suggestion that if we are in for a player then we’ll get them over another club doesn’t seem to ring true. That could be any player from Ekitike to Cornet.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:34 AM

OTB

1sr of September same as transfer window deadline

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM

Newcastle United FC

@NUFC
    Eddie Howe on what would constitute a good season:

“Improvement in every area. Whether that’s with the ball, becoming a bit more free flowing and dominant, being comfortable in possession, becoming better defensively and expressing our philosophy in every way.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM

Newcastle United FC

@NUFC
    4m
    Replying to
    @NUFC
    “Hopefully off the back of those things, getting the details of the team right and how we want to play, consistent results will come. I think if you don’t get your style of play embedded into your team, consistent results are difficult to come by.”

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM

Newcastle United FC

@NUFC
    26m
    Eddie Howe on Sean Longstaff:

“I’m looking for a big season from him. Since I’ve started working with him I’ve seen someone who is committed to becoming the best player he can be. Every day in training he gives everything – he loves the club. He’s got a big part to play.”

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM

Following on from my comment at #7, the fact he says ‘a couple’ would suggest it’s more than just Ekitike too. So who else we’ve missed out on, who knows. But certainly the idea that if we want a player, we’ll get them over a club, like those saying if we wanted Cornet then we’d go and get him, doesn’t seem like that’s all that true.

I still feel we’ll make an excellent addition or 2, but seems like we are facing challenges this window in terms of valuations and convincing players still. I’m basing that on Howe’s comments too, not reports and transfer rumours.

• gillmag

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM

For B
    Thanks for trying t sort the H2H out for me.
    Ive checked the junk folders and main e-mail and cant fond the code Neil has sent
    Could he re-send please?
    If not no big deal as I’m in the main league anyway
    Cheers

• magicmac54

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM

Repost

Good Morning fellow Toon fans on the eve of a potentially very exciting and successful season!! We still don`t really know if we will get Maddison across the line or not, but here is a good little link showing the reason Leicester signed Maddison, i honestly didn`t realise how good he was, but more importantly how creative he was, exactly what we have been missing in our midfield for quite an number of years HWTL

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:48 AM

I see a Spuds fan has a Kulusevski Hawaiian shirt which is pretty much identical to Big Joe’s but with Dejan’s face instead

🙄

Well at least we know we are trend setters I suppose…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:49 AM

@Adam92

I think the names involved could be Kamara, Lingard, Jesus and Eriksen that he is talking about

Yeah I didn’t think it would be plain sailing especially as we are now trying to get players who aren’t using the club as a stepping stone

We can use the phrase “exciting project” but there is no guarantees! a lot of football players are short term so if there is a team higher up the league they will opt for them

As much as we love him Howe currently isn’t a big name in Europe which could also effect us getting guys in but I see that changing this season as we climb the table playing lovely football

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM

LCBP

Yeah you could be right, it’s hard to know who he means for sure. Imagine Ekitike is definitely one as we confirmed we were after him, but the rest is anyones guess. Likely Eriksen is one too though I’d say.

I think it’s difficult for us as fans sometimes to look at things without certain Newcastle blinders on. Even now when I think of how exciting the project is here, I can’t imagine why a player wouldn’t jump at the chance to join it. We’ll have players who do like Trippier, Bruno and Botman etc. But there’ll be plenty of players who aren’t sold on it or still prefer to choose a club in Europe or fighting at the top of their respective league.

Hopefully Howe’s name get’s more credit to it when he continues to do great work here, as i’m not sure how much impact that’s having on transfers, but certainly wouldn’t hurt if his reputation grew.

• dazzler

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:01 AM

Adam,

I think he means when it’s players like Ekitike choosing PSG over us.

I think players like the midfielder the press linked us with that ended up at Villa or Lingard – They without doubt chose those clubs because we weren’t in for them, or were in for them and backed out because their contract demands were insane.

I think there’s a third group too, which is players we’re refusing to meet the valuation for.. if they end up at other clubs it’s not necessarily linked to their desire to play for other clubs (or us), it’s simply we walked away – Like Diego Carlos, possibly Dean Henderson and it may end up being Maddison too.

I think if there are more players that have gone to other clubs over us it may be that we’ve just not been linked with them in the press, or they haven’t been rammed down our throats like some others.

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:01 AM

Adamn

What you trying to prove

All the positive things Eddie says and yo post about missing out on players

Maybe we missed Ekitike and Jesus or Erikson
    But no way Cornet and Lingard wouldn’t pick Forest over us, we just didn’t want them

• dazzler

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:03 AM

LCBP,

Lingard and Kamara can’t be who he’s referring to, surely. Kamara would have chosen us over Villa if we were interested I have to believe, and if West Ham or us were really serious about Lingard I refuse to believe he’d be at Forest now.

I’d understand Lingard choosing West Ham over us given his time there previously but not Forest.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM

Ch

Not trying to prove anything. People recently have suggested that players would join us if we wanted them. Howe this morning has said we’ve missed out on players, so just suggesting that may not be the case.

I’ve been very positive about Howe multiple times. I was talking earlier about how he mentioned Botman is ready so may start tomorrow.

I didn’t just decide to pick up on this one comment on transfers.

Relax man.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:06 AM

Ch

Just to make sure you’re happy:

Howe has done brilliant with us, Howe is a record breaker, I think we’ll have a great season under Howe, Howe always speaks so professionally, I fully trust Howe to make the right calls with transfers and team selection and I think Howe will do great things for us.

There you go.

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:09 AM

Adamn

The point I’m making is why post that did you miss when he talked about wanting to win a cup this season or next

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:11 AM

Ch

I could ask you the same thing. I’ve commented on Botman this morning, talked to Dayvan about him and his old man making the game tomorrow and talked about any flaws the ‘big 6’ may have this season.

Yet you decided to only focus on my one post about Howe speaking on transfers.

I’ve also already explained why I posted it in my last comment.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:13 AM

@dazzler

I don’t think it’s a given that players will automatically choose us over Villa

Similar size of club they have Gerrard and Coutinho that is a huge draw for some players people forget how big a player Gerrard was that can be a factor

Also Villa have spent a lot of money in recent years they pay great wages much better than we have so far

They have underachieved for the players they have which means Gerrard could be sacked if thy don’t perform

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:14 AM

Your post is the type of post I’d expect from an Everton fan not a toon fan

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:17 AM

ch

What a bizarre comment which makes no sense…

Tell you what, in the future i’ll stop and ask myself ‘is this positive enough for coming home?’ before I post anything 🙂

• Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:17 AM

Newcastle’s interest in Kamaldeen Sulemana is real. An offer has reached the table of the Rennes leaders. #MercatoSRFC

• carltoon

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM

How are Villa getting do much money to spend?
    Apparently they’ve sold their ground, back to themselves!
    And that’s perfectly ok, eh I honestly give up thinking about clubs just doing what they want.
    Can the Newcastle Council, not sell St.James to themselves and give us the money?

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM

Mund

Let’s hope Norwich don’t come in for him and trump us

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:24 AM

Why shouldn’t Adam surmise in that way?

West Ham is London, guys like that. Many don’t give a shiit about the North East beaches. West ham are in Europe. They have a good team, good support, and avoid manager. They nearly went all the way in Europe.

Some are beginning to sound arrogant and that’s sadly human nature.

Let’s not get cocky lads, it does nothing for our reputation.

• DrGloom

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM

Lingard chose forest over West ham for a number of reasons

1. Signing on fee + 80k a week plus add ons
    2. Only had to sign a 1 year contract
    3. Try and force his way into WC squad
    4. Potentially a big move to a CL club for big signing on fee and bigger wages in 2023

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM

Hope that’s true Mund.

• Ronway

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM

As Wor B is off playing golf, again, a reminder for those still to register for the H2H Div 3:

Getting close to last call for…

Catchy in Norway

Chancel be a fine thing

Gillmag

Jasper

Register the FPL code on the system by 18:30 BST today or there’s no H2H for you!

• SPRINGY

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM

Is it our club penny pinching and under bidding or is it clubs trying to rinse us for more money….just other clubs seem to go from interested to medical a hell of a lot quicker then we do,we seem to be missing out on players,granted we myt not be in for a most of them just seems the same sluggish approach to recruitment we had with the slug ashley….could just be me being an impatient bugga mind! Lol

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM

CH I’ve a feeling that you are setting up some sort of positivity clan here, with non geordies like Adam and TDS being slung in the cautious category. That’s not acceptable.

• DrGloom

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM

Oh and lingard has been guaranteed game time…
    It’s a win win for him

• ITUNDERASHELL

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:28 AM

Mund

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM

Yes Mund, Botman and Longstaff will start

wilson
    asm almeron

joe bruno longstaff

targett botman shar trips

pope

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:31 AM

Munster

I wouldn’t expect you to understand

• DrGloom

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM

No need for everyone to join the happy clappers club 😀

I’m more excited for the season than I have been for donkeys years and think we’ll do well ,but nowt wrong with people posting a bit of reality – it’s a fact that Newcastle and EH at the moment aren’t seen as a big draw , things will change if we climb the league/ win something but given the fact we aren’t just throwing money around on signings/ wages ( a good thing imo) it’s going to take time.
    I for one prefer to see players joining who buy into the project knowing that they are the ones responsible for our growth to top 4