web analytics

Howe Provides Injury Update And Potential Selection Hints Ahead Of Nottingham Forest

Eddie Howe has given his press conference ahead of tomorrow’s match against Nottingham Forest to kick off the new campaign. He immediately confirmed that the injury situation was clearing up with Javier Manquillo back in training and Fede Fernandez and Jamal Lewis close.

However, the extent of Jonjo Shelvey’s hamstring problem is still unknown. Here is some of Howe’s update per Newcastle’s Twitter account:

“Jonjo is in London tonight for another assessment so we don’t have a clear, defined timeframe on his injury.

“Jamal Lewis and Federico Fernández are working their way and shouldn’t be too long. Manquillo is back in training too so we’re not too bad.”

Some reports claimed Shelvey was initially expected to only miss a couple of matches. Hopefully, that remains the case as the 30-year-old put in a tremendous amount of work ahead of pre-season to get into tremendous physical condition.

One player who could benefit from Shelvey’s absence is Sean Longstaff. The local lad has had a spectacular pre-season after signing a new deal in May. It could be Sean who gets the nod tomorrow over Joe Willock.

Howe was asked about the Geordie and had this to say:

“I’m looking for a big season from him. Since I’ve started working with him I’ve seen someone who is committed to becoming the best player he can be.

“Every day in training he gives everything – he loves the club. He’s got a big part to play.”

Howe has some selection headaches in multiple areas of the pitch, midfield being just one. New signings Nick Pope and Sven Botman are pushing Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn, who have been equally strong this summer.

Botman has been especially eye-catching with his cool demeanor, dominance in the air, and range of passing. The 22-year-old may have done enough to unseat Burn in the starting eleven despite his inexperience in England.

Howe has been extremely impressed with the Dutchman saying:

“I think he’s ready to play. I’ve seen him during pre-season and what a talent he is. I think he’s going to be everything we hoped he would be. He’s technically very good, very strong, and very good defensively.

“We look at every player individually and try to make the right call for them and the team so what I do with Sven you’ll find out but I’ve been very pleased with the signing.”

It’s a nail-biter as to who will get into the starting eleven against Forest. The battle for that left-sided center-back position could go either way. The anticipation is building to see who Howe goes with for the season opener.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DrGloom

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM

Along with EH and coaching staff of course )

• Dubai Micky

32 Elliot Anderson
    33 Dan Burn
    36 Sean Longstaff
    39 Bruno Guimarães

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:37 AM

Look I don’t like people lying about my club saying we missed out on Cornet and Lingard

Simples

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:38 AM

I’m not even in a negative or cautious camp particularly, I just dared point out Howe has said we’ve missed out on players. Only pointed it out as reading back the last few days some comments have suggested if we want players (most recently Cornet) then we’d have got them. But Howe’s comments suggest that might not be true. It’s not that scandalous to post a quote from our manager about transfers when the majority of talk has been about transfer, is it? haha

Don’t know how many times i’ve said I believe we’ll still sign players be happy when the window shuts, but guess that doesn’t count for anything hey 😀

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:38 AM

Why wud that not surprise me CH. You need to broaden your outlook.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM

CH

Nobody has said that. I’ve mentioned Cornet as a recent example, not that we’ve 100% missed out on him or Howe was suggesting him. Other people have mentioned Lingard and Cornet as ‘potentially’ players we’ve missed but not likely.

Nobody has said we’ve missed out on those players, not that i’ve seen this morning anyway.

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM

Adamn

Stop trying to put words in Eddie’s mouth, he never suggested we missed out on Cornet at all

• DrGloom

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:41 AM

ch – nobody knows if we were I in for them or not .. other than the signings we’ve made the only person we know for a fact rejected us is Etikite , am sure we’ve made enquiries for a ton of players and agent has made some stupid demand off the bat and we’ve put phone down…. wouldn’t call that a rejection but others might 😕

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:42 AM

Gloom

I agree with that

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:43 AM

Ch

Stop putting words in other peoples mouth then, nobody has said that’s what Howe said haha What are you finding so hard to understand?

I said Cornet purely as an example of people suggesting if we wanted to sign a player than we would over another club. It’s an example. Not saying that’s what happened. Not saying that’s what Howe suggested. Jeez man.

• Shelvey

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:44 AM

Adam

You are missing the point regarding Cornet. He had a release clause of 17.5 M. That is a pretty low fee. If he was one of our main targets we could have just made an early bid.

We may have missed out on a few targets but Cornet is not one of them.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Shelvey

I am not saying we missed out on Cornet……

I’m saying people recently have said if we wanted a player like him, we would go out and get them. The most recent player people have said that about is Cornet. So i’m using him as an example of what people are saying about players.

I’m not saying we missed out on him. Or that Howe is suggesting that.

• coming home

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Shelvey

Thank you, you’ve explained it better than me

• Arthur Romsdale

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM

I doubt Cornet was a target for us

• jezza442

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Martoon
    8th position
    64 points
    62 goals for
    League cup 5th (quarters)
    Fa cup 6th (quarters)
    Guimareche blog player of season
    Wilson top scorer
    17 goals by Wilson.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Ch and Shelvey

I’m sorry but you both have missed the point entirely of what i’m saying. I haven’t once suggested we missed out on Cornet, or that Howe has suggested we specifically missed out on him.

I used Cornet as the most recent example of people suggesting if we wanted a player, we’d go and get them. That’s all it is, an example of fans thinking that way.

It’s in no way suggesting I think we missed out on him or Howe has said we have missed out on him.

I can’t explain it any simpler than that I don’t think, so apologies. But I’m not suggesting what you think I am.

• Shelvey

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Adam

People said that about cornet because of the fact I just posted. I have said that myself, but only with regards to him, not as a general comment that we will Get whoever we want. Using him as an example is not a very good example.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:52 AM

Shelvey

It was the most recent example I’ve seen so thought it made sense to use it. But point taken.

I wish I didn’t bloody use his name at all now haha But i’m not suggesting Howe’s comments meant we missed out on him. Regardless of what ch is trying to make out.

• jezza442

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Martoon
    7 th position
    69 points
    67 goals for
    League cup win
    Fa cup semi
    Bruno blog player of season
    Wilson
    19 goals by Wilson.
    Please ignore the last one I cut and pasted direct without changing to my own details
    Forgive me I’m a techno-biff !

• cyprus

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Neil,

“…the 30-year-old put in a tremendous amount of work ahead of pre-season to get into tremendous physical condition.”

As a result, he’s injured 🙂

Reminds me of that Morecambe and Wise comedy.

They’re looking at a person laying on the ground:

“He’s our best agent!”

“Well you can’t be much worse than im. He’s dead.”

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Not been on much lately, decide to pop in this morning and so far had it suggested I talk like an Everton fan (whatever that means), that i’ve put words in Eddies mouth and that i’m lying about the club wanting Lingard and Cornet, which I didn’t say at all. It’s not even lunch time yet! 😀

Think i’ll go back to lurking till the match tomorrow, it’s much calmer haha

• Shelvey

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM

Adam

No hard feelings from me, have a nice day.

• Adamn_92

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM

Shelvey

Likewise on my end mate, have a good day.