web analytics

Vast Majority Of Fans Expecting A Triumphant Start To This Campaign

Newcastle kick off the first full season under our new ownership group this afternoon against newly promoted Nottingham Forest. The excitement levels are high for the start of what could prove to be a top-ten finish or even higher.

Our poll shows that fans are very optimistic this season will get underway with three points on the board. The vast majority of voters expect a win today with just 11% predicting Forest pull off an upset.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Nottingham Forest On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Forest are back in the Premier League after three decades having mounted an unlikely charge under Steve Cooper. The former Swansea boss took the reigns after a poor start under Chris Hughton gaining promotion through the play-offs.

Cooper has added a dozen new additions to his squad with Dean Henderson and Jesse Lingard likely to get debuts today. They’ll be without new signing Omar Richards and midfielder Ryan Yates, who are ruled out through injury.

Eddie Howe will be able to field a very strong eleven though Jonjo Shelvey is sidelined with a hamstring injury, the extent of which is still to be determined. Kell Watts, Fede Fernandez, and Jamal Lewis will also miss out today.

Howe has some selection headaches with new boys Nick Pope and Sven Botman primed for debuts. It will be interesting to see if they have done enough to unseat Martin Dubravka and Dan Burn in Eddie Howe’s eyes.

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:15 PM

Boom

• cyprus

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:17 PM

Will the team need good luck too to win it?

I think yes.

So, I’ll be wearing the infamous phosphorus lime away shirt…

It has advantages apart from bringing luck:

You can be spotted, no matter the crowd size.

You will never get run over by a bus.

Good luck NUFC!

• cleveleysbob

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM

Eddies entire back room team were included in the contract extension announced yesterday.

PIF signed off on the whole deal.

Great, now let’s start with a win. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:21 PM

2 Hours 38 Minutes to KO.

• WLtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:25 PM

I`m taking Leicester to be the team to fall from grace and i think they will be involved in a relegation scrap this season, the owners don`t seem to have the drive, or even the interest since the tragic death of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.
    They haven`t bought a single player to my knowledge and players are leaving.
    Bottom 6 my prediction

• Ashingtoon62

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:26 PM

South Africa Toon

Welcome to the blog and you can still enter the blogs main league,someone will hoy the code up for you,I’m sure..

• Novocastrian66

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:27 PM

Of the established Premier League sides, I think Crystal Palace were terrible last night. Sky did their best to make it what it wasn’t stating that Palace threw everything at Arsenal. Palace were terrible and I think they could be in bother.
    I also think Wolves could be in for a tough season. They cannot keep getting spawny 1-0 wins. They don’t score enough goals. They are my prediction for a shock relegation. I’m going for Wolves or Palace with Everton to bite the dust and the other team I’m going for is Bournemouth.

• Wimbletoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:28 PM

WorB from previous

Thanks, yeah I knew that really (I work in IT), I just wanted to comment quickly to make clear I hadn’t added the question marks on purpose. I’m also surprised WordPress isn’t smart enough to filter them out.

My company builds websites with lots of user input fields and I don’t recall having any issue with this. I might go and do a test on one of them now just to make sure 🙂

• Toon fans bad

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM

WL,

Did you manage to catch up on some kip whilst in the Benidorm pal?

• AncientC

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM

Is that Jib in the top 4 of the blog FPL. Raj/Jail is going to be disappointed further down the line that he didn’t sign up to take on an old rival.

Now that the summer break infighting is over (mostly), and the football is back, it’s about time a lot of people who left the blog came back. We actually have something to discuss now.

So, how are all you FPL gamblers who didn’t select Salah feeling right now? Confident?

• SirBobbytheGreat

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:35 PM

Spent 80p on bets today. Got a chance of winning £5m

• Novocastrian66

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM

On the BBC predictor thingy, I had to do a double take when I saw that someone is called Bruce-Ball. It sent me into a cold sweat. If I were called Bruce-Ball I would change my name to something far less embarrassing such as Sad Mackem-Barsteward.

• SirBobbytheGreat

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:37 PM

We’re not going to be scoring many goals though as we need 4 strikers.

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:37 PM

Jail is too busy trying to pretend like he’s outraged by staying off the blog, and too hard headed to return because he knows he’s dug his own grave by being silly enough to leave over squabbling in the first place.

• magic hat

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Pope to be on the bench waiting out until either we lose a game, Dubravka makes a blunder, gets injured or the first cup game for a debut start.

Botman to also wait it out in favour of Burn at left centre back. Possible substitute late in the game to get a feel for SJP.

Only other selection question is Willock or Longstaff. My prediction Longstaff starts and Willock to bring some legs late on along with Fraser for ASM or Miggy.

Miggy ASM and wilson across the front.

Joe, Bruno and Longstaff in mid

Trips, Schar, Burn, Targett at the back

Dubs in goal.

• Gosforthlad

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:42 PM

Taxi to 3 bulls, few beers then the match buzzing hope we smash forest!!
    Happy Saturday all enjoy the match if your going or watching the streams.
    ????????????

• WLtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:44 PM

Tfb,

Not really, we were out every night until 3am and up for brekky early so i had maybe 3-4 hours a night lol.
    i`m not complaining though mate, i had a whale of a time, i would recommend it

• ShaytoStay

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:44 PM

4-0 Newcastle today, Wilson to score first. Have a good feeling on this one

• The Ledge

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:47 PM

Can’t wait to see the team Eddie picks for today.
    Makes a change to previous years

• IrishRob

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:48 PM

Bang on the money Shay!

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:56 PM

It’s been quite a while since we began a new season
    With any real hope and we all know the reason
    The drudgery suffered during the Ashley reign
    Has thankfully gone, now we’ve pleasure not pain

No more treading water, just content to stay up
    And we’ll actually be trying to capture a cup
    No more sleepless nights over a relegation scrap
    We’ll be pushing for Europe instead of that crap

No matter who you are or where you’re from
    Be you a cock like Mund or a cockney like Rom
    We’ve each regained our pride, our passion, our voice
    Now is the time to enjoy, embrace and rejoice

This time as we begin our season campaign
    We’re premier league in much more than name
    We’re now professionally run, not by two fat pricks
    Now let’s get after the bastards and shake up the top six!

Howaay The Laaaads!!!

• A Geordie Mongrel

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:57 PM

Welcome to the new bloggers. 🙂
    Time for a quick beer run for the match.

• Romford mag

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM

Bard

I’m not actually a cockney

But tbf, I am a bit of a cock !

😉

• AncientC

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM

Mitrovic has found his level in the Championship!

• Tyran21

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM

Mitro!!

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:04 PM

Go on Mitro lad, would love Fulham to win this.

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:06 PM

A bit of poetic licence there Rombo

🙂

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:08 PM

Mitro was never giving good run in our team Fulham has stuck by him and now he’s repaying them that’s down to raffa

• WLtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:09 PM

Get in Mitro, shove it up the scouse footers.

• Toon fans bad

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:11 PM

Mitro’s on fire, Trent Alexander-Arnold’s terrified, Mitro’s on fire!

• AncientC

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:11 PM

Fulham have been impressive. And you can see they are under instructions to whip crosses at Mitrovic with pace, playing to his strengths.

We were guilty of ballooning crosses at Mitrovic, meaning he didn’t have enough pace on the ball to direct it, and he then got caught trying to bring the ball under control.

Parker didn’t fancy him as his first choice the season before last — so that hardly applies.

Championship level! What a load of tosh. Give the guy service (proper service) and he scores goals.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:11 PM

RUNAWAY, he had plenty chances but was young, and raw, a red card waitingto happen. Always a decent number 9 though. His confidence will be sky high after last season, good luck to him.

• Toon fans bad

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM

WL,

Glad you had a good trip pal. Whenever I go on a break I end up coming home afterwards needing a break!

Tend to kick the arse right out of it. Got to enjoy ourselves when we can though pal.

I’ll give you a shout next time I’m home and we slurp a gallon sometime pal.

• Ashingtoon62

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:17 PM

Tis a funny auld game,the FPL..
    I had Mitro in my team on Friday and got shot of him,so I could have double Liverpool defence 😆

• DrGloom

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:22 PM

To be fair TTA was at fault for Mitros goal, he just stood there waiting for ball to come to him – good on Mitro for getting the goal though

• DrGloom

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM

Perriera and new DM playing well for Fulham, Liverpool look a bit out of sorts after a good pre season ..

• WLtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM

Tfb

That`s exactly how we felt coming back, so glad to chill out back home after 7 days of mayhem basically haha, You are right mate, you have to let your hair down, if you have any , on your jollies.
    Damn good idea about the gallon of nectar anaarl, im up for that, shifts allowing of course.

• Expat MAG

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:24 PM

I haven’t made comments on this blog for several years mainly due to the frustrations of Ashley’s reign. Now he’s gone and we have owners who are changing things for the better. Howe has selection problems and if we can keep Wilson fit, and buy another 2 or 3 class players, a top 8 to 6 finish is possible this season.

I’m going for a Newcastle win today and hoping for zero injuries.

Howay the lads….

• Romford mag

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:25 PM

Expat MAG

Welcome back

• WLtoon

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:29 PM

While i am here, i am in Toon tomorrow for a few beers if anyone fancies a chinwag and a pint. ile be in the Haymarket area around 1pm. Probably the Crows Nest to start off with then moving down.