The first summer window under our new ownership group has slammed shut. Newcastle didn’t add a fifth signing on deadline day so the tally stands at four new signings for the first team with another four for the academy.
The net summer spend stands at around £112m. It was mission accomplished as Matt Targett, Nick Pope, Sven Botman, and Alexander Isak have added immense quality for Eddie Howe to build with. The club were also able to shift out a lot of excess members of the squad.
Here is a look at this summer’s window sans the youth signings.
|Transfers Summer 2022
|Total Fees Paid
|Preston North End
|£2M - Loan
|Total Fees Received
Newcastle were in for West Ham’s Harrison Ashby today. David Moyes was unwilling to let the youngster leave as he is their third-choice right-back. The 20-year-old was reportedly keen on the move, which may be revisited in January as he has just one year left on his contract.
Newcastle should be fine until the winter window opens as the World Cup cuts six weeks out of the campaign in November and December. There are just 14 matches until January including the Carabao Cup tie against Crystal Palace in November.
Here are the players who remain with Emil Krafth to be left out of the 25-man squad due to his knee injury. Elliot Anderson does not count against the squad total as he is under 21.
- Goalkeeper – Nick Pope, Karl Darlow, Mark Gillespie
- Center-back – Paul Dummett, Sven Botman, Fabian Schar, Jamaal Lascelles, Dan Burn
- Full-back – Kieran Trippier, Jamal Lewis, Matt Targett, Emil Krafth, Javier Manquillo
- Midfielder – Joelinton, Jonjo Shelvey, Joe Willock, Elliot Anderson, Sean Longstaff, Bruno Guimaraes
- Winger – Allan Saint-Maximin, Ryan Fraser, Jacob Murphy, Miguel Almiron, Matt Ritchie
- Forward – Callum Wilson, Alexander Isak, Chris Wood