web analytics

Howe Explains Why Defender Gets The Nod Over Future Star

Sven Botman will be part of Newcastle’s bright future. The 22-year-old has been excellent in his short time at Newcastle. He’s adapted to the Premier League very well and has the qualities to become one of the division’s best.

However, the present belongs to Fabian Schar and Dan Burn as Eddie Howe’s preferred center-back partnership. Burn and Botman had swapped starts during a congested schedule. But when both were fit for Bournemouth, it was the Geordie who got the call.

After the match, Howe revealed that Burn, for the moment, is ahead of the Dutchman in the pecking order. Here is Howe’s explanation for his preference of Burn as published in The Northern Echo:

“We managed their load in the week where we had three games, so (yesterday) was bringing Dan back. I just feel his leadership skills and his experience, we need that in our team at the moment.

“Sven is going to be an outstanding player and will play many, many games for this club. We love him to bits, but Dan just gets the nod at the moment.”

This is very good man management from Howe. Burn has been sensational since his arrival from Brighton last January. He has been a major factor in Howe transforming Newcastle’s defensive liability into a strength.

Botman has a bright future and his time will come. For now, it’s Burn’s moment in the spotlight as he continues to live out his dream of playing for his hometown club.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tyran21

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:23 PM

The Last Jedi

You miss my point more likely. You can put 10 man in the box but useless when there is no one to supply ball into it, hence my reason bringing Ritchie for Almiron and Willock for Wood. Targett for Wood would cut the supply even more.

• Tyran21

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM

The Prince’s Mate

You can’t see the compliment? When playing terrible, Newcastle still manage to hit the post twice and create 2-3 clear chance to score. What about when playing normally? 5 clear chance to score?

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:29 PM

Standing Wood static in the box is pointless.
    The last goal I can remember him scoring was from a breakaway running in on a cross.

Almiron delivered little on the right yesterday. We love Miggy for his enthusiasm and cheeky grin but he needs a different role or get an out and out right winger.

• cleveleysbob

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:50 PM

Basically, if teams are going to come to SJP and shut up shop, we have to find solutions.

Positives though, whenever we play away, with the emphasis on the Home team to play, I think we’ll get some decent results and possibly more wins than we do at home.

It’s the opposite to what I expected at the start of the Season, where I thought we’d win all bar 2 or 3 games. But I think at the moment, with the players we have, we’ll have more joy away from SJP. At least until January when I’d expect a Maddison type of player added to our squad.

Genuinely, Imagine a fit Shelvey alongside Joe. Bruno pushed up a little with Maddison feeding a front 3 of Isak, ASM and Wilson. It would mean playing with a back 3, so maybe unlikely, but it would get us out of our seats. 🙂

• investinyouthtoon

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:50 PM

Really good words from Eddie re botman, he’s still adapting to the English game and a new culture. He, like so many other key players especially will need their workload managed well.

With Wilson he was never going to be relied upon to stay fit, so we desperately needed a new striker, and isak was the exceptional choice imo and will need time to settle and flourish.

Same goes for Allan, how we could go through a campaign relying upon him far too much. Imo he’s head and shoulders above Fraser, Murphy and miggy.

Unequivocally we need upgrades on players such as Fraser, miggy (as much as I adore him as a person, his work rate and commitment), Murphy and more. But upgrading on these players will take time and money, something which won’t be achieved overnight. It will take patience from everybody at the club.

• cleveleysbob

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:53 PM

That “all bar 2-3 games” referred to SJP, not every game! 😀

• Zhongguo Geordie

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:54 PM

Almiron does a lot of closing down, so he still gets the nod from me above Fraser and Murphy. Fraser had a couple of games when he was fantastic last season, but has been solidly poop or injured for three years otherwise. Our main 4 has to be ASM Isak Anderson and Wilson.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:56 PM

Agree with Bill’s son on Willock being a number 10 as he can score from that position although lacks many qualities I like in a number 10. He’s not particularly creative. Didn’t he play as an asvanced attacking midfielder/ 10 when he got those goals?

• Zhongguo Geordie

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:00 PM

I don’t really know where Willock would fit in. But whether its RM, CM, DM, 10 it seems He’s not good enough. If He’s not scoring It’s difficult to pinpoint what he brings to the team. The Arsenal fans said his only qualities were being an athlete and scoring.

• A Geordie Mongrel

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:04 PM

Afternoon all. I think I’m going to have to rethink reading all the match day posts. This last one was a slog. Most of us expected a win and we got a draw. Welcome to the wonderful world of football folks, that’s what happens. One game does not a season make. Booing the players does not motivate anyone.

I was one those who thought that this was going to be Miggy’s breakout season. I’m probably wrong on that but I’m not going to criticize him for it. Eddie’s mantra, “evolution not revolution” will apply for a good while yet. The revolutionaries screaming we should have signed this one or that need to remember revolutions are messy and often don’t work. If we’d overspent in the summer and it failed we wouldn’t have any money to rebuild. I prefer the pragmatic approach and sticking to our valuations.

Finally we have had at least three points stolen off us. Add those in and we would be in sixth place. Something to ponder.

• cleveleysbob

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:04 PM

Here’s an exercise for everyone. List the 1st seven games and honestly put alongside each one what you expected to happen. Happy clappers can ignore this as we were never going to win every game. 🙂

Here’s mine.
    Forest @ home – win, result win.
    Brighton away – lose, result draw.
    City @ home – lose, result draw.
    Pool away – lose, result lose.
    Wolves away – draw, result draw.
    Palace @ home – win, result draw.
    B’mouth @ home – win, result draw.

Expected points 10, actual points 8. Only 2 adrift of expectation and we were cheated out of a win against Palace and at least a draw against Pool.

Those flagrant decisions cost us 4 points minimum. With those we’d be on 12 points, 2 ahead of my expectations and actually in 5th place.

Whilst yesterdays performance was not good, I don’t think we can be overly critical and remember how long it was before we actually won a game last season??

• A Geordie Mongrel

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:08 PM

Cleveleysbob, I like the way you think! Posting similar stuff at the same time. 😆

• cleveleysbob

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:09 PM

I suspect that the Arsenal result/performance of last season has done us no favours.

WE, the supporters got the idea that we could smash virtually everyone at SJP after that game.

This is football, nothing quite works as you would expect. Plus every other team will have seen that game, analysed it and adjusted their game plan to contain us.

Now, it’s up to us to get cleverer.

• cleveleysbob

Brighton away – D
    City @ home – L
    Pool away – L
    Wolves away – D
    Palace @ home – W
    B’mouth @ home – W

So not too much between what I thought and what actually happened.

TBH the manner of match vs palace where we were robbed of a proper goal was nobody’s fault but VAR’s and match officials.

The match yesterday we huffed and puffed but couldn’t blow Bournemouths house down, was the realisation of what job we need in upgrading several players. When Murphy comes on, I personally feel deflated rather than think he will come up with the goods to change the course of a match.

I do feel owners will give Eddie proper time to put his stamp on the team. BUT as we know the PL is ruthless, so feel they will sometime in the future, get to a point where they would say they want more or a change in direction.

• jarra mick

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM

Time for Howe to go, £200 million spent and zero improvement

• AnyToon in Indiana

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM

Yep….I think everyone knows we still nee the creative mid and a winger. We need a fully fit team or we are just going to struggle creatively as we don’t have any players off the bench that deserve to be marked with two players. It all comes down to getting the right chance at the right time after that and in the end it will end up being a toss up. On the bright side we have only lost one match in 8. 😉 Too bad I did get time to get to my FPL early this week as with the cancelled game I left at least 9 points on the bench and lost out on another close one by 3 points. Well played John with Saliba. At least my FPL is frustrating me a bit more than the lads right now. 🙂

• AnyToon in Indiana

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Hi ya Kets!

• A Geordie Mongrel

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:24 PM

Don’t forget lads n lasses, no feeding the wums. 🙂

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM

investinyouthtoon,
    I think because of the great form we showed last season second half, people have thought we are better than we actually are, there was loads of factors that played in to that momentum that carried us along. Although I didn’t think we’d replicate it, I hadn’t factored in teams parking the bus against us, which has what has happened last two home games

• A Geordie Mongrel

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:26 PM

Two minutes too late. 😆

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:27 PM

jarra mick is a regular poster on the BBC website. Staunch mackem. Are they still in the championship?

• investinyouthtoon

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:31 PM

Nijmegen-toon, I do agree there were a fair few who thought we’d turned from relegation dodgers to PL winners within space of several months. This was never realistic, was even if it happened it would take several years.

I did think we’d bring that momentum to this season and kick on slightly. Personally I thought 8th and a decent cup run would have been a good sign of progress.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:33 PM

We can blame VAR as much as we like but the truth of the matter is we battered Palace at home too and still didn’t have the cutting edge to create enough chances to win that game either. Robbed of a goal, yes, but if we’re having to rely on VAR decisions to nick results by a solitary goal that highlights the issue. We would have lost that game yesterday had we not got a penalty (clear handball) but from play we created very little, especially in the second half.

By all means, stay positive and encourage others not to be too despondent – I agree with that. However, pretending that there aren’t systematic issues that need rectifying – like our lack of cutting edge in the final third – is a simple case of denying reality.

I fully expect the club to be looking to make attacking signings in January with a CAM and winger high on the list of priorities.

• Toon Tang

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:34 PM

Was reading the live text for the Everton game on BBC and they wrote this,

“Slight Joelinton vibes to Alex Iwobi’s pick-up in form in central midfield”

• 9

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM

Our 2022 form, back half of last season, has seriously dipped so far, despite brilliant signings. On that earlier form I had us top 6, maybe better, and here we are 10th. Lack of creativity (we didn’t sign any creative player) has led to lack of goals (sicknote managing not to even last through August!), and our only creative player also didn’t last through August,. Something is wrong here, it seems Eddie, God though he undoubtedly is, is working ASM/Wilson/Bruno/Anderson too hard in training. I would love to hear someone give me a better explanation.

• investinyouthtoon

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM

Nijmegen-toon With teams parking the bus, Eddie will have to adapt to this and come up with new ways to beat these teams. All I’m saying is nothing surprises me with PL football. if sometime down the line, the new owners decide Eddie isn’t the person to take club forward, I wouldn’t be at all surprised. The club is always far bigger and more important than any one person.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM

Until we reach a time when Eddie Howe no longer has to rely on bringing Chris Wood and Jacob Murphy on as his attack minded players to try and influence a game I will aim very little criticism his way. He has transformed the way we play, however the quality of players we have to execute in the final third is still lacking.

• A Geordie Mongrel

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM

Nij, I think we maybe punched above our weight at season’s end. I think that created a disproportionate expectation in the fanbase. That was certainly the case for me but there’s nothing like a cold shot of reality to help reassess.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:43 PM

Anyone who had analysed the underlying statistics behind our fantastic second half of last season form could have told you that expecting us to continue that form into this season was not going to be realistic. We dramatically outperformed both our xG and xPTS which suggested we nabbed goals (and wins) when we really shouldn’t have done. After all, over the course of the entirety of last season we were the 18th worst team for average possession so Howe has already improved us considerably as we are already up to 8th by that metric this season.

Being a possession based team now poses its own new set of challenges to contend with, like breaking down deep sitting defences, but we don’t have sufficient quality to unpick these defences without Maxi. So, in short, while we have spent a lot, we still need to spend a lot more!

• 9

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM

I am proud of our performances v Man C and Liverpool. In that context, + our results earlier in 2022, all of our other performances are disappointing. Most of these have been without ASM/Wilson/Bruno but then a lot of the previous season’s performances were without most of these, so somehow we’ve clearly gone backwards! Posters claiming teams are now respecting us when previously they weren’t, and parking the bus, may be true, but only partly so.
    Somehow, we’ve regressed from the astounding improvement our manager + signings achieved earlier this year . Any advice as to reasons, welcome.

• 9

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM

Ruddy@31,
    Our comments crossed. I agree the second half of your post, very doubtful indeed about the first part.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM

1. Teams sit back now and we don’t have good enough wingers or a CAM to unlock them.
    2. We dramatically over-performed second half of last season.
    3. It’s laughable to suggest we’ve regressed and I would recommend you watch some of the matches we won second half of last season (like Villa at home) and compare the way we played there to how we played against Palace or Bournemouth. If you still think we’ve regressed then we are watching two different sports.

• 9

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM

………..the glaring flaw in your statistical argument is you take the whole of last season. This is clearly ridiculous. Including the Bruce matches is entirely inappropriate, and I expect you to be fully aware of that.

• AncientC

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM

Just catching up on the blog from yesterday. I didn’t want to hang around and read pages of negativity when there is so much to be positive about. That is not to say criticism doesn’t have its place on the blog, as it’s only natural to dissect performances.

What I did pick up on, was a few people saying Howe has no ‘plan b’, or saying the better sides can switch up their play.

Howe said weeks ago the best sides play attacking football, and that is what he is trying to emulate.

Do Man City or Liverpool have a plan B? Not that I have noticed. They have one system, and that is all out destruction of the opposition by pressing, dominating, and attacking.

From what I have seen of Arteta at Arsenal. He seems to have one system, although I haven’t watched enough Arsenal games to be 100% certain on that.

Tuchel when he was at Chelsea? Seemed heavily reliant on his wing-backs, and I cannot remember him trying much else. So much so, to the point he couldn’t get a tune out of Lukaku.

It seems to me that Howe is a puritan and he is going to play one system and one system only. Perfect plan A, and there will be no need for a plan B. It seems to work for the two best sides in the Premier League.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM

You disagree with the fact that underlying statistics indicate we overperformed? I don’t understand how one can disagree with factual data but there we are.

• 9

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM

@34 point 1 I agree completely.
    Sadly, we aren’t singing from the same song sheet after that. You propose our results this season (Brighton/Wolves/Palace/Bournemouth) aren’t a regression from the second half of last season. Plucking a random match (Villa you quote) isn’t much of an argument.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM

My argument regarding our xG and xPTS is actually from January to the end of the season. I could do the calculations again as I’ve done them many times before but you may want to look into it yourself. The possession argument I made was based on the entire season, yes, but the other was based on January to end of season.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM

I did pick a random game, but I could also pick others that we won where we were second best or certainly not dominant on the ball yet nabbed fortuitous results.

If you cannot see how Howe has developed us into a much more fluid possession based team then I cannot help you.