web analytics

Howe Touches On The Positives From Forward’s Performance

Newcastle dominated the possession on Saturday but couldn’t breach a stalwart Bournemouth defense. While the performance was lacking, with Eddie Howe calling it the worst of the season, two shots struck the woodwork while Neto was forced to make some dramatic saves.

Nevertheless, almost isn’t worth much and the Newcastle haven’t scored from open play in two straight matches. The return of Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin can’t come quick enough as they will solve some of the issues in front of the net.

Alexander Isak was brought in to make that difference but its early days for the young Swede. He took his penalty very well yesterday and has found the back of the net in 2 of his 3 matches.

Isak is still acclimatizing himself to a new country and league. While he struggled to make an impact against Bournemouth, it was largely due to a lack of creativity from his teammates.

After the match, Eddie Howe spoke at length about his new striker. He admitted the 22-year-old was left isolated at times but was overall pleased with his contributions. Here is some of what the head coach said as published in Newcastle World:

“He’s learning, and not just how the team plays, but also how his teammates around him play too.

“Again, there were flashes from him today, but I don’t think, as a team, we did well enough around him to get him into goalscoring positions.

“We didn’t feed him the ball early enough. He was a little bit isolated, and we didn’t get him involved enough in the key areas where he wants to be involved.

“Let’s look at the positives – he took his penalty brilliantly and he worked hard for the team.

“He definitely contributed, but we know we can get him involved a lot more than that.

“It’s certainly not a view that we’re playing with one striker – we’re playing with several attacking players. It didn’t really materialize today though, so we’ll look at that and analyze why.

“He is a versatile player, and we obviously moved him briefly to the wide left when Chris (Wood) came on.

“He can play in a slightly deeper role as well, so there is flexibility with him.”

Isak has been thrust into the deep end and despite a lack of service has been our only goalscorer over the past three matches. He has a bright future at the club and once Howe gets everything to click in the final third, this team will a very exciting one to watch.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:32 PM

Check

I still remember the day when we played our last game under SBR at St James and most the crowd walked out rather than staying and the boos he got were shocking and I still don’t get it today.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:41 PM

Mund

Some fickle, entitled types, mate.

Bobby is a legend!

For shame!

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:45 PM

Bobby Robson was sacked about 18 years ago??? And died over 13 years ago??? Damn that makes me feel old.

Top bloke and I’ll never forgive Shepherd for the way he treated him. That is one reason that I didn’t see Ashley in quite as negative a light as some on here did, because I already felt we had a crap owner before him.

• The overrated Frenchman

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:00 PM

Bobby got sacked because he had lost control of the club room I recall, or that’s how it was reported at the time. Bellamy seemed to be the chief offender. I was sad to see Bobby go but there was evidently a reason for it.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:04 PM

A very sad day in the clubs history and the beginning of the end of the club as we knew it.

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:09 PM

Nijmegen – I haven’t seen you here before, welcome to the blog lad or lass.

On the people calling for Eddie Howe’s head – you’re a bunch of fools. We’d be playing derbies with those thet don the red and white in the fizzy pop league if it weren’t for wor Eddie!

I find it even offensive to remotely question him as our main man to lead the team after the monumental work he’s done. It’s been nothing ahort of miraculous considering were Brucie boy left us! We’be only lost ONE league game and had many dodgy VAR decisions go our way yet some feel we should be up there with the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea etc. Appalling behaviour booing at the final whistle too! So we expected a win we got a draw against an average team. Shit happens, we learn and move on. We don’t have knee jerk reactions like Chelsea’s owner.

Anyway rant over. Carry on lads / lasses.

• SirRhosis

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:11 PM

Mund, unless you have unequivocal proof, keep your powder dry mate. Just a word to the wise if you don’t mind me saying 🙂

All further personal allegations about anything, from anyone, should also be subjected to such a request for proof in my view, (banta aside of course), in accordance with the massive CoC, of course 🙂

• cyprus

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:16 PM

Overrated,
    Maybe but maybe not. Bellamy was one of the best ever Newcastle forwards, but volatile too. Sounness should have left rather than him.

Have a read regarding Sir Bobby:

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:22 PM

JP…from The Rock,
    No, thank you for the welcome. I too find it ludicrous to even suggest the owners might think about getting rid of him. They’d lose loads of kudos, christ, they even gave Bruce a game.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:26 PM

TOF – I don’t get the idea of SBR losing our dressing room, unless it was led by scrotes like Bellamy, in which case I’d sooner have seen those players shipped out.

Was very sad to see him go anyway. That was our last great team in my opinion though I hope we’re building a new one. Pardew’s 5th place team was good but not great.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM

Must be trouble brewing in the WhatsApp group when the ringleader seems to be shining a light on the Scorer1971/Fenham fiasco re his comment on ALTs

Watch this space…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:30 PM

Sir Bobby Robson’s sacking was such a turning point in the club’s history and one that is a dark stain on the club. Deserved so much better, and those that followed him showed how good he really was. Created some of my favourite Newcastle sides and most memorable moments as a young Newcastle fan. Top top manager.

• SirRhosis

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:34 PM

Poo-stirring Ruddy?
    I’ve tried to caution against it. To no effect, obviously.

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:35 PM

Could Botman play midfield.?
    Just an idea
    Joelinton moved there and what a transformation that’s been.

• SirRhosis

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:46 PM

Is there a Whatsapp group? – I don’t know
    Do they have a ringleader? – I don’t know
    Was there such a thing as a Scorer/Fenham fiasco? – I don’t know

Neither do I suspect do you. All Tripe and bitchin in my view.

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:49 PM

Just had a read through Sky’s report on the Everton v West Ham game. Paqueta got a 5/10 score, and I didn’t see his name at all in the write-up. I didn’t see the match but he isn’t necessarily the amazing player we should have got (‘missed out on’) that a few keep going on about. Maybe he will be, but I haven’t heard he has set the league alight so far.

Maddison will be a coup if we can get that done.

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:49 PM

Enjoyed Ruddy’s reasoned debate earlier. Totally agree with all of it 🙂

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:51 PM

Ace50,
    I watched it, he didn’t stand out although it wasn’t for lack of effort. West Ham look poor.

• SirRhosis

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM

Ace, I concur. Don’t mind the footy analysis

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:55 PM

SirRhosis

All in jest good sir, it’s a blog after all.

Ace50

Very nice of you to say, much appreciated.

• valle

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:57 PM

I read allot about people commenting on fans who wants Howe out, but I have yet to read a single post with someone calling for Howe’s head (Other than a Kets post, but that doesn’t count). So the way I see it, the people being negative here and those who constantly make it out as if there is a problem of that character at all.

People have been critical of the game yesterday, and they have every right to… That doesn’t mean that they want Howe gone.

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:58 PM

Thanks Nij. As I say, I didn’t watch it so it’s good to hear from someone who did.

• valle

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:58 PM

are not and*

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:01 PM

Ruddy, I said the same (without the stats) when everyone was doing Martoon’s predictions. I went with 8th and I was a little hopeful – I think we will finish between 8th and 10th.

I watched most games live or on tv once the takeover happened. We rarely won by more than one goal and it was always going to be difficult to maintain that win rate like that. Last season’s palace game at home is a great example….took a wonder goal to win it 1-0

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:02 PM

Are people calling for EH to get the sack, as I read the comments, many are sying that if the owners aren’t satisfied with what he is doing then sacking becomes a real possibilty.

Don’t think we are anywhere near that stage yet but this is a a stage that needs success so who knows when stage left could beckon!

I think there may be a couple of idiots saying he should be sacked but they are in a massive minority.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:04 PM

TV time, later!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:05 PM

Valle

A small section of fans booed the team off yesterday and a vocal minority have been gobbing off on twitter. For my part, I think it’s out of order for fans to be critical of Howe given how quickly he’s turned the club around since taking over, not only in keeping us up but in radically overhauling the playing style. You can see what he wants to do long term and is currently hamstrung by lack of depth and quality in key positions which will eventually be rectified but that’s largely out of his control. Add injuries to key players and criticism of the manager becomes an even more absurd notion to entertain.

No one on the blog has called for him to go, granted, but there are grumblings about his lack of a plan B or team selections and I for one think it’s not cricket because he’s the bloody best manager we’ve had since Sir Bobby, hands down.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:06 PM

Magic
    if you are around, I watched that link, who on earth would let themselves be slapped around like that with a kipper? 🙂

• Mund

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:06 PM

SirRhosis

No flies on me mate 😉

It’s very clear and strange that even now I’ve put it out there he continues to pretend he is a complete new poster 😆

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck… it’s duck my man…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:09 PM

Ace50

I only knew the stats off-hand because I’d written a piece for True Faith about where I think we’d finished and I’d made the point that we drastically overperformed second half of last season so I knew the stats bore that out.

Some called me out as being negative, but I see it as being pragmatic, or realistic or whatever you want to call it. I’d prefer to underestimate where we’d finish and be pleasantly surprised as opposed to over egging it and being disappointed. The main issue was always going to be whether we could score the sufficient number of goals needed to finish top 8 – historically it takes around 60+ to do so, and I just didn’t think we had it in our squad and I still don’t think we do. I settled on 9th/10th, with a more progressive possession based style and a cup run as massive progress for me and I’m sticking by it.

• valle

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:10 PM

Essex

I have only seen Kets calling for Howe to be sacked. I dont know who started this myth that some people on here wants Howe sacked, but it has taken a life of its own now.

Its ironic, since they talk about overreacting, when they are in fact the ones overreacting. People were just critical of the game. That doesn’t mean that they want Howe gone.

It should be possible to watch a game and form an opinion that isn’t all roses, and then go to a NUFC blog to discuss said opinion, but its like anything remotely negative are taboo to some posters.

Personally I think we should have won, and there was 3-4 players I wasn’t happy with, that doesn’t mean that I want Howe gone. But we were toothless in attack and it was a bit of a disappointment to watch. Thats all… On to the next one.

• valle

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:14 PM

Ruddy

The twitter posts cant be WUM’s though. You can never know that they are actual fans. What are Sunderland fans supposed to write about on forums? They might lurk around trying to stir up trouble for instance.

The booing is unfortunate. But that will always happen for any club out there at times. That said, it can be used by the players in a positive way if they have the right mentality about it, which I actually think Howe is the right man to instill.

• valle

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:15 PM

Anyways, Im off to bed… Goodnight folks.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:16 PM

EGB,
    As said earlier to another poster, nobody was directly calling for his head, there were a few suggesting that the owners might pull the plug because of their “£200M”. Considering, we’ve lost one, have a positive GD and are in the top half of the table, I’d say he’s well on target for any goals he’s been set.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:17 PM

Valle

You’re dealing in absolutes here mate. No one has said that there can’t be criticism and all is rosy. Quite the opposite in fact. I was as critical as anyone following yesterday’s frustrating result and feel it is indicative of our shortcomings in the summer transfer marker by not bringing in a winger and a CAM.

For some, the criticism has been levelled at the manager, which I feel is misdirected. In fact, neither the ownership or manager justify criticism because overhauling our squad and playing the style of football that will ultimately see us challenging at the top end of the table will be an ongoing process.

I suspect that those most vocal in their criticisms are also likely to be those who expected/hoped we’d crack the top 6 this season which was always going to be a tall order.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:17 PM

Well a bit of a disappointing result yesterday, I think it would be fair to say that Bournemouth played very well and we were not at our best. Across a season every team has a couple of games like this. The main thing is we did not lose, some look at or record and see one win in 7 but I see one loss in 7 (and the loss and a couple of the draws were unjustified) This and the Wolves game are the only ones were I could say I was disappointed with how we played, but that is to be expected now and again as we are far from the finished article.

I see a couple of posts regarding players who are not good enough and I agreed that some players we have are squad players at best but the fact is that it takes time to change this. Anyone who thought we would instantly rise into the top 6 because we have money now was always in for a shock. These are the same people who don’t understand and/or don’t believe in FFP and likely the same people who will call for Eddie Howe’s head on a silver platter if we don’t win in the next game or two. These are the deluded fans opponents reference when discussing us.

The fact if that Eddie Howe inherited a squad from which only Maxi would arguably get into the first team of any of the top 6 clubs. Since he as come in he has transformed Joelinton into one of the best CMs in the league and added Trippier and Bruno all of whom would easily get into a top 6 teams starting 11 and Pope who would not be far off and is the right calibre of player. Hopefully the same can soon be said for Isak and Botman. In addition he as adding experience and depth to the squad with our other signings.

It is a journey and it will take time but Howe is the right man to take us on that journey.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:19 PM

Valle

Good night mate, always good to have an actual discussion on a football blog about football. If only there were more like you bud.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:24 PM

Taco

Top class post mate, agree with every word. I’ll add my name as one of those who labelled Almiron and Murphy not good enough, but acknowledge that improving the squad will be an ongoing process.

I had hoped we’d have added a CAM and winger to the squad but as you say, FFP played a big part in that as it’s clear we obviously had a strict budget to play with.

This season is largely a “free hit” where we develop our playing style, integrate Isak, Pope and Botman into the squad, and hopefully add more in January ahead of signing a bumper commercial deal in the summer and another window of bolstering the squad. From then, I reckon Howe will have more concrete objectives and metrics by which his success will be measured. It all takes time though.

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:28 PM

One other factor I thought of, and not seen a comment on. Of all the teams out there, Bournemouth will know of Eddie’s approach to game more than any. He might have developed his understanding but some of those traits will still be there and Bournemouth used all of that background knowledge to help them yesterday.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:30 PM

The Taco Taker,
    If I was more well read I’d have written exactly what you just said there, however I’m not so have just rambled instead lol