web analytics

Howe Touches On The Positives From Forward’s Performance

Newcastle dominated the possession on Saturday but couldn’t breach a stalwart Bournemouth defense. While the performance was lacking, with Eddie Howe calling it the worst of the season, two shots struck the woodwork while Neto was forced to make some dramatic saves.

Nevertheless, almost isn’t worth much and the Newcastle haven’t scored from open play in two straight matches. The return of Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin can’t come quick enough as they will solve some of the issues in front of the net.

Alexander Isak was brought in to make that difference but its early days for the young Swede. He took his penalty very well yesterday and has found the back of the net in 2 of his 3 matches.

Isak is still acclimatizing himself to a new country and league. While he struggled to make an impact against Bournemouth, it was largely due to a lack of creativity from his teammates.

After the match, Eddie Howe spoke at length about his new striker. He admitted the 22-year-old was left isolated at times but was overall pleased with his contributions. Here is some of what the head coach said as published in Newcastle World:

“He’s learning, and not just how the team plays, but also how his teammates around him play too.

“Again, there were flashes from him today, but I don’t think, as a team, we did well enough around him to get him into goalscoring positions.

“We didn’t feed him the ball early enough. He was a little bit isolated, and we didn’t get him involved enough in the key areas where he wants to be involved.

“Let’s look at the positives – he took his penalty brilliantly and he worked hard for the team.

“He definitely contributed, but we know we can get him involved a lot more than that.

“It’s certainly not a view that we’re playing with one striker – we’re playing with several attacking players. It didn’t really materialize today though, so we’ll look at that and analyze why.

“He is a versatile player, and we obviously moved him briefly to the wide left when Chris (Wood) came on.

“He can play in a slightly deeper role as well, so there is flexibility with him.”

Isak has been thrust into the deep end and despite a lack of service has been our only goalscorer over the past three matches. He has a bright future at the club and once Howe gets everything to click in the final third, this team will a very exciting one to watch.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM

I haven’t read the blog since yesterday…..so don’t know the general direction.

I joined this thread, saw some comments on sir Bobby.

I just spoke to my parents a couple of hours ago, it’s my dads birthday tomorrow- he’ll be 88….he went to school with and was good mates with sir Bobby…kind of poignant, I’ll have a tear in my eye given what tomorrow brings 🙁

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:35 PM

NY Mag

Happy birthday and best wishes to your dad, lovely that he has those memories and I’m sure he’s got some cracking stories about Sir Bobby.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:36 PM

Ace50,
    I was thinking something similar myself but regarding us, although there’s a lot of new personnel, there’s still a mentality that is used to backs against the wall, it’s not like that now and we have to take the game to about 14 different teams now, not just three.

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:41 PM

It is a different game this season, that’s clear, I.e. many teams will come to St James’ and look to not lose rather than go for the win. This is different to the past (Bruce, and even Rafa to an extent) where teams came with real intent to take 3 points. I actually think we will typically do better away at these teams than at home. Of course, we will need to learn how to unpick these low-block defensive set ups. We will need some more creative players though as even Man City and Liverpool struggle with that at times.

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:43 PM

Thanks ruddy,

That means a lot…it really does

I’m bubbling here

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:47 PM

NY Mag

No worries mate, I’m sure there’ll be a variety of emotions swirling around tomorrow. Look after yourself though bud. I’m off to bed here now, take care folks.

• ottawageordie2

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:51 PM

For anyone who cares, I just scored 84 points with a non 7 letter word in scrabble. I don’t play golf.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:52 PM

Ruddy & Nijmegen, thanks.

Ruddy – agree that next season the will be stricter objectives, I think there will be a expectation from the top that we are challenging for Europe and if we are not Howe could be in jeopardy as a LOT of money will have been spent by then and Howe would have had two and a half years. I am not saying he would be sacked if we don’t make the European places at the end of the 23/24 season but he would certainly be skating on thin ice at that point.

Ace50 – very good point, Bournemouth know Howe better that anyone and their interim boss was quoted as saying how much preparation they were doing to play us. I also feel that their impending takeover may have helped them a little too, bringing a feel-good factor to the club and putting a rocket up the arse of some of their players.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:54 PM

Ace50,
    It’s going to be harder this year for the simple reason we haven’t got the quality to unlock teams, ironically for the first time in years it looks like we’ll have better success/enjoyment from the teams that have a go at us. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with Howe not having a plan B, he went through five seasons of teams parking the bus against his free scoring teams, it’s not that he doesn’t know how to do it, it’s just that Ryan Fraser, Murphy, Willock and Almiron aren’t quite good enough to play the way he’d like.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:56 PM

And when he did get a tune out of Fraser, that was three years ago and a good few injuries.

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:04 PM

Nijmegen,

Yore quite vocal for a newbie…..BTW, I’ve been to your town quite a few times 🙂

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:05 PM

I thought Fraser was very poor yesterday. He didn’t really look like part of the team. I think he missed the best chances. At least there’s lots of scope for improvement, yet we still dominated.

It’s funny (weird) that both Almiron and Fraser both don’t seem to hit the ball well consistently.

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:05 PM

Yore…..good god “you are”

Mr T…..kill me now

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:10 PM

He will let it slide NZy….’yore’ a strong member of the blog 😉

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:10 PM

*NY

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:14 PM

Ace,

That’s actually canny funny…I did actually LOL at that 🙂

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:15 PM

NY Mag,
    Always loved talking football and found this place a perfect place to do it. Nijmegen is a canny city mind, some nicer ones but still canny.

• magicmac54

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:17 PM

NY Mag

Wishing your Dad a really happy birthday for tomorrow mate, i hope he has many many more birthdays in the future my friend PS does he know his son is a Hustler 😀 😀 😀

• jane

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM

“with a non 7 letter word”

“if you manage to use all seven of your tiles in one play, it earns you a bonus of 50 points.”

• jane

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:23 PM

100th post bingo

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:23 PM

Surley some of the booing was at the ref. He was pathetic and way to pally with the Bournemouth players constantly hiding his hand and whispering in his ear. No authority and failed to book a number of players which is another way of assisting the opposition who know what they can get away with. We seem to be ‘too nice’,we need more testosteren

• jane

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:28 PM

winning and losing is better than draws. look at Reading, Blackburn and Millwall compared to West Brom WDL columns

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:29 PM

Nijmegen-toon
    Are you ex-pat Geordie or Dutch?
    I used to know (long time ago) the folk at Bever Sport whi you may know of.
    Had some very sociable times!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:31 PM

I said it before but I feel like this has shades of Pep and Klopp’s first season or so albeit with lesser quality players.

You can see the ideas we battered teams in so many games but coming up short at the key moments.

This happened with Klopp mostly you could see the way Liverpool wanted to play would dominate teams run out of steam and draw games etc then he got Mane and Salah to add a ruthless streak with Van Dijk making them solid.

I believe we are defensively sound but if we had Maddison, Harrison or Diaby signed with Isak I believe we would be a scary prospect at the moment able to break the low block down.

Lots to enjoy about our football at the moment and plenty of work to be done I feel like Almiron, Fraser, Joelinton and Willock need to work on attacking play for hours a day JUST SMASH THE BALL lads!

• NY Mag

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:31 PM

Magic,

You are and always have been a gent 🙂

• jane

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:33 PM

if you drew every match you would get 38 points.
    if you win half and lose half your matches you get 57 points.

• magicmac54

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:37 PM

The Taco Taker

If your still about mate you might like this link HWTL

• Ace50

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:37 PM

That’s clear Jane and an interesting debate. The amount of crap that EH would get on here with those defeats would be unreal.

Someone said before, ‘1 win in 7’ – glass half empty. What about glass half full, ‘1 loss in 7’?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:38 PM

Fulham away will suit us as they will leave space for us to exploit our defence will handle Mitrovic

Fancy us to win that won but struggle against Brentford and Man Utd after it which would only leave us with 2 wins after 10 games roughly

• The Taco Taker

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:38 PM

On the topic of squad upgrades the first position I would be looking to improve is the right side of attack. After a good pre-season I had hoped that Mr. Howe had waved his magic wand over Almiron but sadly that appears not to be the case.

Must say I am not a big fan or Almiron and never have been, so this season is very much his last chance saloon in my eyes. In recent days I have seen people say he should play on the left as a CAM or in CM. Therein lies the issue I have with him….I don’t believe he actually has a natural position. I can’t knock his effort or his attitude or work rate but I just think he lacks key skills/attributes for any position, he is not as good enough crosser or finisher or deliverer of a final ball for any position up front and he is not physical or technically gifted enough to play CM. It is that simple in my eyes. Impact sub at best when fresh legs are needed vs. a tiring team.

I know is fans point to his record for Paraguay in his defence say we don’t utilise him like they do, gut I don’t buy that argument. I admit I am not an expert on the Paraguay team and have only watched them a few times but when I have Almiron isn’t outstanding . I also note that he has a record on 6 goals in 45 games for Paraguay which does not. Further to this I would point out that Paraguay are not a particularly strong side so getting into their team is not like getting into the team of most South American or European nations. This is partly backed up by the fact that or 3 or 4 of their squad play in Europe which is low compared to most national teams.

• jane

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:41 PM

all these draws and finishing 5th. can’t have been many defeats.

“17 – Newcastle United (2003/04 – 38 matches)

The following campaign saw the Magpies set a new record for draws in a 38-game season, however, a run of results which would see Newcastle finish fifth and miss out on Champions League qualification.

Newcastle recorded a huge 17 draws throughout the season, including five in their final seven fixtures of the campaign to finish four points adrift of fourth-placed Liverpool.”

• The Taco Taker

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:41 PM

Magicmap, yep still lingering around here but just clicked the link and will be watched that, cheers!!

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:46 PM

lochinvar,
    I’m not Dutch but love Nijmegen although the football team is shite, lol

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:49 PM

Just watching MOTD City score 2 simple goals by De Bruyne being on the wing and hitting a first time low cross with pace into the box for tap ins that’s nothing to do with world class ability its just basic football.

We never seem to do that its always floated balls middle height keeping it low and hard was basics at football when we all used to play was it not?

I can’t believe Fraser for a start isn’t doing this he used to do it all the time for Bournemouth same with Targett and Trippier

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:55 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party,
    How many times did we see that lovely overlap but their keeper just gather it or the defender put a leg in, our delivery simply wasn’t good enough. I don’t think Isak is a target man either.

• magicmac54

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:58 PM

The Taco Taker

That`s an new name for me Magicmap, not to worry i`ve been called a lot worse in my time mate 😀 😀 😀

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:02 AM

Sorry Magicmac mate, all thumbs today.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:04 AM

@NG

Trippier especially got into great positions took a touch and floated an easy to deal with cross him and Almiron together so frustrating for a lot of that

Its like they get in each others road a lot I still wonder if this 433 we are playing is truly getting the most out of our team with the players we have it works great when we are countering against more open teams but maybe something else would be better against the low block

Maybe a 343 like Spurs do with the wing backs providing all the width means we could have that extra body in the box for crosses rather than just Isak

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:41 AM

Just watched MOTD2, Arsenal had a 15 year old on as a sub

We are reluctant to play 22 year old ‘Kids’!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:42 AM

Big Andy would have killed the Bournemouth defenders.