web analytics

Defender Sets Realistic Expectations For Transitional Campaign

Eddie Howe prefers the experience of Dan Burn over Sven Botman for now. The head coach handed the Geordie the start over the summer signing for the Bournemouth draw at St. James’ Park. It was his 23rd straight league appearance for his hometown club.

After the match, Howe confirmed Burn was ahead of the young Dutchman in the pecking order. Burn’s experience has won the day for the time being, though Botman will be one of the future stars to keep this club moving forward.

While the future is bright, there will be growing changes. Two straight draws at home without a goal from open play is a testament to that. Newcastle are still in the infancy (well maybe toddler) stage of their resurrection.

The hopes among the faithful was a push into Europe next season. Those hopes have taken a hit with just one win so far this season. Though Saturday’s win put Newcastle in the top ten which is the conservative aim for this campaign.

Dan Burn spoke about the Bournemouth draw and putting expectations into perspective. This is what he defender as published in The Northern Echo:

“It was hard to break them down when they put everyone behind the ball, and we will come across that a lot this season. Teams are trying to take the sting out of it and dampen the crowd down – it feels like two points lost.

“It’s a change of mentality, and we have to find ways of breaking them down. We need to string a run together. Not getting beaten is good mentality-wise, but we might look back (with regret) at the end of the season at these games when we could have picked up more points.

“Is it a reality check? Maybe a little bit. As a fanbase, we are like that anyway. We always get ahead of ourselves. It has been like that since I was a kid.

“We have to be realistic with the way we look at the takeover and how we are building our squad. Realistically, we should still have targets in our head. Europe is pushing it a bit, but we should be pushing top ten, comfortably. Hopefully, we can reset after the international break.”

The aim should be for a European place this season. However, a comfortable top ten finish will be a very respectable finish. The club have to aim high but not get too distressed if the mark is missed.

The progress over the past 11 months has been remarkable. There will be moments when things don’t go to plan. The fact there is a plan for success is worlds apart from where this club was this time last year.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:11 AM

Ruddy

Thanks buddy, I apreciate that. I also agree with you that its great to have a football related discussion. We dont have to agree all the time, in the end we are all fans of NUFC

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:20 AM

Taco

I agree about Almiron. He isnt good enough. But I seem to remember that his original position were as an AM, and wth our central midfielders such as Willock and Longstaff being equally bad, I would like to see him get a game there instead of Willock.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:23 AM

Sadly Miggy won’t ever be a big player for us as he just doesn’t have that cutting edge and intelligence to make it in whatever position he plays in.

Great pace and work ethic but he isn’t good enough.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:27 AM

It’s a mad mad world when some fans are claiming that Miggys inability to regularly produce goals or assists is down to our attacking coaches rather than Miggys inability to regularly produce goals and assists. Lovely lad, hard worker, plays with a smile on his face etc but simply isn’t good enough. Would happily have him within the squad to be used from the bench once we’ve upgraded RW though.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:31 AM

Valle

Very rarely do intense disagreements result from a debate about football. So, it stands to reason that if we all kept most discussions on this football blog about football we’d see a large reduction in intense disagreements. The blog is a much nicer place when that happens.

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:38 AM

Mund

I agree mate… You can see where Eddie wants to go with this, but sadly he has a few players such as Miggy and Willock who simply arent good enough for those tactics. They would be much better in a counter attacking team, as they were for us when we played that way.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM

Top 10 playing much better football with no threat of relegation would still be a great season

A lot of games last season we caught teams out now teams are like okay we will shut up shop and see how you get on breaking us down

I do think we need more variation in our attacking play but sometimes players just don’t have the confidence to try stuff too

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM

“We have to be realistic with the way we look at the takeover and how we are building our squad. Realistically, we should still have targets in our head. Europe is pushing it a bit, but we should be pushing top ten, comfortably”

There you go, somebody who knows what he is talking about, from the coal face itself.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:46 AM

Valle

Very true.

I’ve been really disappointed in Willock so far this season and I’ve been wanting Anderson to take his place. Like you say I just don’t think they fit in with this system and would be much more suited to a counter attacking side. I’d rather have Fraser on the RW over Miggy and even trying Willock out there.

Quinn has been saying for a while now that we should go 3 at the back and I’d agree on that.

We just need to see like we have a plan B to switch up games, especially the ones like Bournemouth.

I think we will spend big again in January

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:49 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party,
    Unfortunately you are going to get people complaining no matter what we do, if we’d bought Maddison for £80M and he didn’t score on his debut and Paqueta did for example, the same people calling it madness that we didn’t spend the extra £30M for Maddison would be up in arms that we wasted £30M and could have got Paqueta instead, there really is no winning for some people.

• dazzler

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM

Mund,

Not sure who you think is Raj/Jail. The new poster?

Not seeing it myself. Not sure of the benefit, certainly isn’t here ruffling any feathers so what’s the point?

Raj has never been one to shy away from an argument under his own name on here as you well know, so why would he suddenly create an alt and then talk purely about football? It makes no sense.

Please don’t take this the wrong way but you’re sounding like a “bush did 9/11” type on this one 😀

However, as per the policies of the blog IF you are right then both accounts should be suspended. There should be no alts on the blog, as they are a pointlessly childish thing to do.

• NY Mag

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:52 AM

Mund / ruddy / Valle,

I unfortunately have to agree, miggy isn’t cutting it.
    I love him ‘cos of the way he plays, but he’s not gonna make it going forwards 🙁

• dazzler

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Valle,

I didn’t think Willock was too bad vs Bournemouth. You could see what he was trying to do and his work rate was unquestionable. The problem is he seems to be stuck in his own head. It’s as if he’s stopped trusting his instincts. Similar to Longstaff, only Willock is a much better player on his day.

• Romford mag

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:53 AM

Stonaldo

Unlucky in our H2H this week mate, but well played 🙂
    It was a close one!

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM

Poster ‘9’ from last night reckons we’ve regressed from our form at the end of last season.

I can’t agree.

Even though we had that great run we won most games by scoring one goal or winning 2-1. We only scored 3 twice in the last 18 games.

We were also hammered 5-0 and 5-1 by City and Spurs.

This season our possession game has improved but we are now facing teams who are setting out against us not to get beat, with the exception of City and Brighton who we got draws with – two teams in the top 4 – two cracking results considering City especially have blown every other team apart.

I know plenty of teams can claim dodgy decisions, VAR etc., but those fine margins when we don’t score many goals have been the difference between fans being ecstatic with a top 6 position, and some calling for Eddies head.

We’ve also been without ASM and Bruno for the majority of games, Wilson doesn’t count because he only played at the end of last seasons run.

So, regressed since last season?

Not in my opinion.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:57 AM

Dazzler

100% him.

Maybe he wanted to try a fresh approach…?

Ofc it makes sense to come back under a different name to start with a clean slate but you just can’t hide away from the fact of who we all are.

I don’t actually care just pointing it out and I don’t care if the rules of the coc have been broken that’s not for me to decide. It’s a blog and all can post.

It is what it is.

• dazzler

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:57 AM

Bills,

I agree with you. We’ve continued on, but the one thing we are glaringly missing is someone who can unlock a tight defence, which as you say is how teams are setting up against us in most cases.

Without Maxi and/or a number 10 type we will continue to get a lot of draws as we will struggle to break teams down.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM

On Dan Burns comments,
    I didn’t think that top four form was sustainable as a whole host of different factors were responsible for it. Ruddy pointed out the Xpt, (expected points I presume) there was the fevered atmosphere in the ground, the fighting to the death for every point and one of the main reasons in my opinion was that teams who thought we were whipping boys, turning up to rattle our defence, got the shock of their lives with the change in the team and atmosphere inside SJP. Teams now know we’re not whipping boys and their attitude to us has changed. What I didn’t even factor in to it though was the fact that teams would park the bus, I hadn’t even given that consideration.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM

NY

I’m sure the majority of fans will always have a fondness for Miggy and his undeniable work ethic but quality wise he will just never be good enough.

• NY Mag

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Mund,

That huge smile and the way he played in the MLS was very nice to watch…..the step in quality has been too much for him.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM

And that is going to be the biggest problem this season. Not Howe’s lack of a plan B, the guy probably has plans A to Z in his methods, the problem is not having better wingers than the ones we have while ASM is injured.

• cyprus

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Ok, Mund, Ruddy, Valle, NY…

Don’t mind me, just taking notes for when Almiron does his preseason form 😉

• dazzler

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM

Mund,

Fair enough, but I’m not convinced.

If it is then the admins will act accordingly. Until then as long as they continue to talk football and not incite arguments on the blog then I think they are good for the blog, wouldn’t you agree? No matter who they end up being.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:03 AM

Bills

Couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve been saying for a long time that we rode our luck an awful lot during that tremendous run of form towards the end of last season but that this season we have considerably developed our playing style which is changing the way teams come and set up against us.

We’re in that awkward transition phase with a manager trying to implement a style of play with some players simply not good enough to execute the plan but we can see what he’s trying to do. It will take a few more transfer windows for Howe to assemble the squad he wants, at which point he will have more concrete objectives and metrics to be measured against.

I suspect we may pick up as many (if not more) points on the road this season as we do at home as teams will be more open in trying to win the game. Let’s wait and see.

• The Mighty Quinn

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:04 AM

Just noticed that post from Mund about Kieran Trippier being 32. That is something that seriously needs addressing in the coming windows of lowering the average age of our squad.
    Dummet
    Burn
    Schar
    Trippier
    Wood
    Wilson
    Shelvey are all 30 + and there are a couple more approaching 30.
    I would say a new right back should be high on the agenda next summer.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:05 AM

How to show everyone you don’t care about something? Bang on about it incessantly lol

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Dazzler

Like I said everyone can post and its not for me to decide if the rules have been broken as it happens on a daily basis without consequences, so they are pretty pointless.

It is what it is

• dazzler

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:06 AM

If Miggy recaptures his preseason form I don’t think there will be a single person who wouldn’t be delighted to eat their share of humble pie.

Miggy is this squads version of Guti or Gouffran. Someone who will run until they limp off the pitch but rarely offer anything else. We’ve always loved those players here, and always wished they’d find a bit of form and celebrate when they do.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Says the lad who can’t stop banging on about me on a daily basis…

😆

I’m flattered tho fella

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Cyprus

I’d love for Miggy to show the *preseason* form that saw him score twice against *Gateshead* but the reason he won’t can be found in this sentence lol

• NY Mag

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Cyprus,

Just to coin the famous phrase…..I would just love it if you are right 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:09 AM

I don’t care, just pointing it out 😉

Funny how your own words can be used against you isn’t it?

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:09 AM

Ruddy

I agree that it would probably help keep the arguments down if we used the blog to strictly discuss football. Allot of the deep cutting arguments on here seems to stem from political/personal discussion.

I dont think its likely to ever stop though.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:09 AM

The Mighty Quinn,
    Rafa addressed the older signings situation very well. Sometimes you need them for experience and to teach the kids. We have older heads in abundance and that’s why I think from now on we should only be signing youngbplayers who’ll be with us for years to come.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:10 AM

Yanited
    @NE5westend
    5m
    On this day in 1970: Newcastle beat West ham 2-0 at the Boleyn ground, Pop Robson with both

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM

Valle

No I agree and I for one can be guilty of winding certain bloggers up so I have my own share of the blame but generally when we stick to football, the blog is better for it.

• Not another deJong

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM

Definitely a reality check for the 12th man, perhaps some in the crowd need to be transferred for better quality supporters.

• cyprus

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:11 AM

Wouldn’t bet my house either way.

Still, put my name down in the pro Almiron list 🙂

• cyprus

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:12 AM

If there is a list. Maybe it’s just one name on that side.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Cyprus

I’m going to guess that you absolutely loved Gutierrez too? Lol

(Not criticising Guti, such a hard worker but again, was another player who didn’t produce enough)