web analytics

Defender Sets Realistic Expectations For Transitional Campaign

Eddie Howe prefers the experience of Dan Burn over Sven Botman for now. The head coach handed the Geordie the start over the summer signing for the Bournemouth draw at St. James’ Park. It was his 23rd straight league appearance for his hometown club.

After the match, Howe confirmed Burn was ahead of the young Dutchman in the pecking order. Burn’s experience has won the day for the time being, though Botman will be one of the future stars to keep this club moving forward.

While the future is bright, there will be growing changes. Two straight draws at home without a goal from open play is a testament to that. Newcastle are still in the infancy (well maybe toddler) stage of their resurrection.

The hopes among the faithful was a push into Europe next season. Those hopes have taken a hit with just one win so far this season. Though Saturday’s win put Newcastle in the top ten which is the conservative aim for this campaign.

Dan Burn spoke about the Bournemouth draw and putting expectations into perspective. This is what he defender as published in The Northern Echo:

“It was hard to break them down when they put everyone behind the ball, and we will come across that a lot this season. Teams are trying to take the sting out of it and dampen the crowd down – it feels like two points lost.

“It’s a change of mentality, and we have to find ways of breaking them down. We need to string a run together. Not getting beaten is good mentality-wise, but we might look back (with regret) at the end of the season at these games when we could have picked up more points.

“Is it a reality check? Maybe a little bit. As a fanbase, we are like that anyway. We always get ahead of ourselves. It has been like that since I was a kid.

“We have to be realistic with the way we look at the takeover and how we are building our squad. Realistically, we should still have targets in our head. Europe is pushing it a bit, but we should be pushing top ten, comfortably. Hopefully, we can reset after the international break.”

The aim should be for a European place this season. However, a comfortable top ten finish will be a very respectable finish. The club have to aim high but not get too distressed if the mark is missed.

The progress over the past 11 months has been remarkable. There will be moments when things don’t go to plan. The fact there is a plan for success is worlds apart from where this club was this time last year.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM

One the topic of Alts.

Surely alts are not allowed for 2 reasons:
    1. To prevent someone who is banned from just returning under a new name and causing the same problems that led to them being banned.
    2. To prevent truly said and possibly schizophrenic members from creating multiple accounts to to talk to/agree with themselves and/or present a united from against someone they disagree with.
    In fact by definition an alt is only really number 2 above but of course the rules are there to prevent 1 as well.

IF Raj has indeed returned (and I am not suggesting he has cos I haven’t got a clue) then he is not doing the above so I see no problem with it, I would just be pleased he is back. I would also say that if someone left because they felt persecuted by a small number of people but loved the blog and talking about football then a change of name seems to me to be a decent solution.

This leads to my final point is a change of name really an “alt” anyway? I would say it is not. Many new members make the mistake of making their first post under their real name then change it and this is fine isn’t it?

If I got bored of being called Taco and wanted to be “Bring me Burritos” or “The Big Enchilada” and changed my name I would not be expecting anyone’s permission or approval to do so or to be possible banned as an “alt” (as long as I hadn’t done anything wrong of course)

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM

WLToon – early days though. Lots of changes to the squad and playing style in the last 12 months. Ideally, Isak could be eased in a bit more with less pressure but he’s been thrown in at the deep end in a new league and other players are having to work out how to play with him.

I’m looking forward to seeing how players like ASM and Bruno link up with him in future, Maddison too if possible!

• WLtoon

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM

Nijmegan Toon,

The current Leicester owners don`t seem to have the drive that their father had and i think they will sell the club eventually.
    Leicester could quite easily do a Leeds and end up in lge one without the backing, i don`t think they bought a single player over the summer.
    If we offer 35-40M for Maddison i think he could be ours.

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM

Taco

So I have to delete all those account who have been agreeing with me? 😉

But yes, you are right, there are No good reason for alts on a blog.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM

I support the right to reinvent one’s self!!!

Vive la difference!

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:43 AM

Taco – my view too. Generally, if someone isn’t doing any harm then I have no problem with them on this blog. That even includes harmless alts, though obviously the admins are taking a firmer stance on this.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:44 AM

WL
    Leicester ain’t the most salubrious joint, huh?
    Got some history, but could free fall.

• WLtoon

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:45 AM

TDS,

I agree, it is EH job to get the team playing to Isaks strengths though, 60M quid is not to be sniffed at.
    Not one ball was played down the channels for him against Bournemouth, it`s a simple tactic which wasn`t implemented, surely it was coached on the training pitch.
    What is the point of Isak if you don`t play to his strengths, you might as well play Wood.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Valle,

Actually I was going to agree with something you posted earlier which I read but I honestly can’t remember what it was now. Whatever it was you were right!

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:48 AM

yeah our posts crossed TDS, I was still typing when you said more or less the same as me.

• WLtoon

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:48 AM

Clint,

Absolutely they could freefall, i think the Leicester fans may be thinking that too.
    A good family kinda club but never massive, they could well end up in the lower lges

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:52 AM

WLToon – £60m for a 22 year old though, he’s clearly not the finished article yet and it would be understandable if he takes some time to really hit his stride. Even the great like Ronaldo and Henry took a while.

Playing to his strengths would certainly help, I agree, though we need players whose strengths are playing to his strengths and can then capitalise on that themselves. A fit Bruno is a good start, ASM back will be massive, and having Wilson as an option too would be great. We have lots of options in defence now but need more in attack. I know this is obvious and I’m just repeating things so I’ll shut up now. 🙂