web analytics

Premier League Boss Confirms Newcastle Target Has Entered New Contract Talks

Widely considered one of Newcastle’s top targets for January, James Maddison could be at a crossroads with Leicester City. The playmaker was the subject of two rejected bids from Newcastle over the summer. When the winter window rolls around, he’ll be entering the final 18 months of his current deal.

That is the hope, at least, from the Magpies’ perspective. The Athletic has published comments from Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers confirming new contract talks have begun with the 25-year-old playmaker, whose ability to unlock defenses was in short supply in Newcastle’s draw at Bournemouth on Saturday.

After confirming Maddison’s agent has held talks with the Leicester brass on ‘numerous occasions, Brendan added:

“I’m pretty sure the club would want to do that. With James, with two years left, naturally the club would want to protect the asset. But it works both ways.

“If a player — not saying James — doesn’t want to sign it, then it can be a stalemate. Both sides have to be able to find an agreement.

“But absolutely, he’s an outstanding player and of course, Leicester City would benefit from keeping him longer.

“He’s been brilliant. He’s a top-class player. He’s improving, developing, and happy. Of course, he’s a top player at the level, so people will be interested in him, but I’ve seen no change in him whatsoever.”

Leicester have yet to taste victory in the league in what has been a woeful start to this campaign; one to rival Newcastle’s from last year. It even took a penalty shootout for them to get past Stockton in the Carabao Cub.

The Foxes are coming off a 6-2 defeat at Tottenham, though played very well in the first half. They sit last in the league with their manager’s future in serious doubt. This will all impact whether Maddison signs a new deal or waits to see what January may bring.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:47 PM

Nijmegen

Yes, that does seem to happen quite often. If that was the case, then I feel pretty certain that he would price himself out of a move to us. In fact, I cant see who pay that. Certainly not City or Arsenal. Perhaps Man Utd.

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:48 PM

Sparky not Lord

I can’t keep up with your names changes 😆

Should of stuck with Sparkly

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:49 PM

If they used VAR for blatant dives and issued more cards it would cut it out.

• JohnJ

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:49 PM

I’m sited near Penzance with my wife & caravan. Sadly I didn’t manage to get to see any of Saturday’s game apart from what was on MOTD.

However I was sorry to see so much negativity from some posters! Yes it’s rather disappointing to only have 1 win but in perspective we only have 1 defeat. But remember where we were this time last season! I have 100% faith in Eddie Howe and his staff! Rome wasn’t built in a day & it will time & patience to get to where we all believe we should be!

HOWAY The LADS! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:51 PM

NY Mag

It’s actually in the UK…never been to lake George but if it’s half as beautiful as this then I’ll go!

£50 to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation Charity to anyone who can guess where!

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:52 PM

Mund…I’m only Lord Scattercash when the transfer windows are open! 😉

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:52 PM

JohnJ,
    A good few of them don’t even post unless they feel they’ve got something to moan about . We’re well on course to achieve what Dan Burn has revealed what the players expectations are.

• JohnJ

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:53 PM

Wor B,

I’ve got a rather nice bottle of powerfully hopped Ale to sample tonight as the sun sets on Mounts Bay.

Happy days! 🙂

• Mund

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:54 PM

Quinn

13 points for me mate.

1 point away to Fulham

Wins vs Brentford, Everton and Villa and a win away to Southampton.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:54 PM

Morecambe?

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:54 PM

While it would be great to sign an attacking midfielder I think that should be second priority behind signing a right sided attacker who can create and score goals.

In midfield we still have Shelvey to come back and Armstrong may prove to be as good as we all hope, and that is in addition to Willock and Longstaff. So we at least have different options and combinations to try with Bruno and big Joe.

On the right we have Murphy who is not good enough and Almiron who is an impact sub at best in a good squad.

Obviously, ideally I would upgrade both positions (+£100M to do that I guess) but if there isn’t the budget to do both in January then I would focus on the right side of attack.

I know some will say we can play Isak there, which perhaps we can, but I suspect we will need Isak to play in the centre more often than many think. Wilson will get injured again after he comes back.

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:56 PM

@50…Nope

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:57 PM

The Taco Taker.
    Do you mean Anderson 🙂

• NY Mag

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:57 PM

Lake George is beautiful….google it, voted the best lake in the US. (I tried to get my boat there, won’t happen)
    I’ll happily donate to SBR , have done several times

• Bambams

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:57 PM

Sparky55

It’s nice to see you back mate (Sparky55)

I am a little unsure if Maddison would be the right player, if he signs an improved contract to stay at Leicester (Great club) we will all know he doesn’t fancy the move – against the craic/rumours that had been circulating he wanted the move.

Time will tell mate

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:57 PM

Dorset.

• IrishRob

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:58 PM

“Entering new contract talks” in that case he can do one!

• JohnJ

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:58 PM

Wor B

St Austell Brewery
    Proper Job
    Powerfully Hopped IPA 5.5%vol.

🙂

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:59 PM

@56…Nope

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:02 PM

Bognor Regis.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM

Norn iron or west coast os scotland?

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM

Nijmegen – lol of course I mean Anderson, typical mistake from rushing. I also had to retype the whole thing as it didn’t post the first time for some reason

Mund –
    Fulham (A) W
    Brentford (H) D
    Man United (A) L
    Everton (H) W
    Spurs (A) L
    Aston Villa (H) W
    Southampton (A) D
    Chelsea (H) L
    = 11 pts (since I might be close on the number of point but will probably be totally wrong on where we get them)

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM

BamBams

I reckon we’ll have no option but to buy foreign players because the top teams don’t want to sell to us…so if we go foreign I think we can get players better than Maddison.

No point obsessing about someone who doesn’t want to come anyway…if he wanted to come in the summer he would have forced the move…He wants to be in London where knobs feel more at home

• Tyran21

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM

Mund

I’ll go with 15 points to stay on track for top 6 finish.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM

IrishRob,
    I suppose he has to at least talk to them, not that many players shaft their employers by leaving for free.

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:05 PM

@61…Good effort but you need to be more specific! 😉

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM

Bognor Regis North?

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM

Oh, 61! 😀

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:08 PM

Skye, Talisker distillery?

• magicmac54

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:10 PM

I totally agree with Sparky as i also hope we don`t ever sign Maddison, we have a great bunch of lads at the club now with tremendous team spirit and camaraderie, for me Maddison is out of the same mould as Grealish, no doubt he is a good player, but i can`t stand arrogant people with an exaggerated sense of their own importance and ability, no thanks as far as i`m concerned HWTL

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:11 PM

Quinn…difficult question…very much depends on how we integrate Isak into the team. I think we’ll end up with Isak on the left, ASM on the right and Wilson down the middle.

If we get that to work, then 16 points, if we don’t…then 9

We need to turn those draws into wins…it makes a huge difference…and we need to keep Joe and Bruno fit…if we lose either it’s a huge loss.

Onwards and upwards

• Great White Hunter

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:11 PM

All, sorry to digress, but after today’s monumental event,, had to say four words only…….. Proud to be British , cheers. GWH

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:13 PM

@69…nope. 🙂 🙂

When I went up there everything was shut due to Covid…so no whiskey tasting on that trip!

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:13 PM

magicmac54,
    I must have completely missed his arrogance, is it I’m interviews or just press reports.

• magicmac54

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:14 PM

Sparky

Was that photo in your avatar taken in Ireland mate possibly Donegal?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM

But for the points we have lost (stolen) by dodgy reffing we would be top four now and well on course for a top four finish.

I’ll stick to my prediction!

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Galloway

• sparky55

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Magic@75…sorry No!…but I do love Ireland!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:17 PM

Re Guti, if he’d had more protection from Refs (again) there would have been a lot of end product.

• sparky55