web analytics

Premier League Boss Confirms Newcastle Target Has Entered New Contract Talks

Widely considered one of Newcastle’s top targets for January, James Maddison could be at a crossroads with Leicester City. The playmaker was the subject of two rejected bids from Newcastle over the summer. When the winter window rolls around, he’ll be entering the final 18 months of his current deal.

That is the hope, at least, from the Magpies’ perspective. The Athletic has published comments from Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers confirming new contract talks have begun with the 25-year-old playmaker, whose ability to unlock defenses was in short supply in Newcastle’s draw at Bournemouth on Saturday.

After confirming Maddison’s agent has held talks with the Leicester brass on ‘numerous occasions, Brendan added:

“I’m pretty sure the club would want to do that. With James, with two years left, naturally the club would want to protect the asset. But it works both ways.

“If a player — not saying James — doesn’t want to sign it, then it can be a stalemate. Both sides have to be able to find an agreement.

“But absolutely, he’s an outstanding player and of course, Leicester City would benefit from keeping him longer.

“He’s been brilliant. He’s a top-class player. He’s improving, developing, and happy. Of course, he’s a top player at the level, so people will be interested in him, but I’ve seen no change in him whatsoever.”

Leicester have yet to taste victory in the league in what has been a woeful start to this campaign; one to rival Newcastle’s from last year. It even took a penalty shootout for them to get past Stockton in the Carabao Cub.

The Foxes are coming off a 6-2 defeat at Tottenham, though played very well in the first half. They sit last in the league with their manager’s future in serious doubt. This will all impact whether Maddison signs a new deal or waits to see what January may bring.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:28 AM

Ibiza

I figured you, like me, aren’t totally on the regular path!
    Would that be fair/ring true?
    😉

• Ibizatoon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:29 AM

Clint…Shall we go with we got weird wired? 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:31 AM

Clint – you’re using a fairly extreme argument though. The real question is, “is VAR helping get more decisions correct?” And the answer is definitely “yes”. For us, having VAR has led to 4 decisions being correctly changed in our favour but sadly 1 decision being changed incorrectly. That’s the 1 that I’m bothered about. I completely dispute that any of the other decisions should have been overruled by VAR because none of them are clear and obvious errors. That can be demonstrated by various refs and experts either agreeing with the original decision or saying they were borderline.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:32 AM

Clint…Regular? Not even my bowel movements. On that, I shall love and leave you all. Happy blogging y’all.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:33 AM

I also don’t expect things to be perfect because that’s cloud cuckoo land. People can make mistakes for a variety of reasons and tech can malfunction for a variety of reasons too. That’s just the way things go.

I’d prefer to win matches without having to rely on borderline decisions anyway.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:34 AM

As Eddie Howe says, it’s no good me wasting energy on stuff that is out of my hands. We can’t ever change that decision. Discussing endlessly on whether that was a goal or not unfortunately will not alter the result.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:34 AM

Ibiza

Totally!

I just checked back and realized that that ‘but’ did look outta place…sorry mate. My bad!
    I have noticed a few words in my posts that I didn’t think i’d typed, recently…since i changed my phoney!
    Ah! Tech!
    What can i tell ya?
    😀

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:38 AM

The poster RUNAWAY777 has asked me if I was happy with us sitting in 11th during the night. We’re tenth so I’m afraid I can’t answer his question. If he’d like to come back on and ask me again after carrying out more thorough research, I’ll be happy to answer him.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:43 AM

Nijmegen – agreed! But these things keep being brought up on here. The terrible decision against Palace will hopefully help them improve VAR and maybe they’ll provide more in the way of an explanation for decisions in future, but really the other ones seem pretty obvious to me.

I reckon there will be opposing fans who believe some of those decisions should have gone the other way too…

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:44 AM

Tds

Sorry mate, but I’m not really prepared to dance to a tune of your making bro.
    You try all the devices to get a rise, obfuscate, twist, turn the tables, refuse to answer, create fallacious arguments, then use trigger words!
    I guess that works in refrectory debating.
    Bringing tv gonks into it, ain’t gonna add any weight, man.
    😀

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:46 AM

ToonDarnSarf,
    I’m not saying not to discuss it, just pointing that it won’t change the result. But everyone knows that anyway.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:46 AM

Tds

pack it in… 😀

You brought it up!!!
    😀

• scott

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:48 AM

TDS

To be honest I think you are asking the wrong question mate!
    The question is why is VAR getting so much wrong?
    It worked flawlessly during the euros, not a single wrong decision,not one controversial decision!
    So VAR can work very very well but isn’t in a multi million pound organisation,it’s getting things wrong EVERY week, why?

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:49 AM

Clint – I didn’t bring it up actually. I saw multiple posts on the topic when I checked the blog this morning.

And I’ve answered your questions and addresses your points. You don’t address mine, you just continue to make the same argument with slightly different words.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:50 AM

Scott

Excellent point, well made.

• Asi Fish

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:51 AM

Had high hopes for FPL with two transfers and a solid 11, saving my chips and swagging it out.

In comes Ancient C dropping his free hit on me and taking me to the cleaners.

Had a little cry about it…………….well played Sir, well played.

HWTL

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:51 AM

Tds

I made very clear points, that you side step!
    It’s ok mate, i get ya!
    😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:52 AM

Scott – but if Wilson’s goal had been allowed by VAR, if a penalty was given by VAR for the tug on Longstaff, or if the Isak offside had been overruled by VAR, then those would have been very controversial!

The only genuinely wrong decision involving us was the Palace goal. And I’d argue that there are a lot more matches throughout a season than in the Euros plus that tournament can bring in the best referees around whereas those best referees are spread over the leagues.

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:54 AM

People wondering how Isak and Wilson will play together. This is why Howe is on the big money. Surely adding Isak to that attack and removing one of Almiron, Fraser, Willock or Longstaff has to improve the team.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Clint – I have detailed explanations of why the decisions seem correct for Wilson, Longstaff, and Isak.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:55 AM

Gave

• Asi Fish

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM

VAR eats old man’s toenails

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM

Tds

The bozo johnson school of debating: ask your own questions, then answer them!

😀

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:03 AM

Ibizatoon you are correct, you can change your name and avatar within your account and keep everything beforehand. The name and avatar will backfill

• Nijmegen-toon

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Because we were winning and Howe looked like a genius for getting the best out of all these players who previously looked like duds, it took away from the issues of how poor the squad is after years of neglect. Players looked better last year because we were winning, these draws against average opposition as really highlighted how poor our wingers are, then just take a look at CM, we’ve got four fit at the moment with only Longstaff and Willock to choose from after nailed on starters Bruno and Jo. That is threadbare, it is going to take at the very least another three windows to stop it looking like the bench is championship standard.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:06 AM

“We make no apologies for…’

‘We won’t be lectured on…’

La la la…not listening…

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Nijmegen-toon

Average opposition.

Look at who we have played!

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:07 AM

Tough start to season, 13 points coming up before world cup

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM

Nij

Personally, i think we look about the same… a decent team, but for a few crap decisions we’re top 6-8… in fact we’re still only as little as 2 slots down. The old punditworld vurw if chopping and changing whose gonna do what after a handful of games is old hat, what they do every year. Isn’t it?
    They constantly try and predict every move.

• sing in the corner

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:12 AM

Eddie and his team know best of course..
    But I was just thinking about our problems with one or two injuries creeping in.. derailing us somewhat.
    Dan Burn,for one,has been talking about the amazing intensity of training. We are picking up several hamstring/ muscle injuries.
    Are they training too intensly?

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Clint – ok, here’s some evidence for what I said earlier as to why those were not clear and obvious errors by the on-field refs:

Wilson, https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/ex-referee-delivers-newcastle-united-verdict-on-callum-wilsons-disallowed-goal-v-brighton-3808294

Isak, https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4734387/the-var-review-tottenhams-penaltyisak-offsideramsdale-foul

The only ref opinion I can find right now about the Longstaff decision says he would have given a penalty. As I’ve said, I think it was more a penalty than not but the question is whether it’s a clear and obvious error or not, which I think is borderline. I think you want 99/100 refs to give a penalty in order to overrule it though. Maybe it warranted a look on the screen…that could be argued if that process was quicker.

• Tyran21

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:20 AM

Mund

“Also, introduction of a ‘soft’ wage cap (including transfer & agent fees) set as a % of income. This will bake in existing gaps within the Premier League and make it difficult for clubs with new owners such as Newcastle to challenge the existing elite.”

Why would this matters? I’m sure Newcastle’s revenue would match Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham next season. Once Newcastle is in European competition, revenue will soar pass them.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:32 AM

Tds

Subjectivity is inadmissible ad evidence, mate.

1 7 8 9