web analytics

Team Leader Impressed With New Signing Who Has Slotted In Straight Away

Record signing Alexander Isak has started all three matches he’s been eligible for. His timely arrival came while both Allan Saint-Maximin and Callum Wilson were nursing hamstring injuries, which were initially thought to be minor.

Wilson is on the mend and likely to feature at Fulham in two weeks. For Saint-Maximin, it’s a more dicey proposition as a setback has Eddie Howe sweating his availability for Craven Cottage.

Once Howe has all of his weapons available, Newcastle should be a force in the final third. Over the past three matches, Isak’s shoulders have carried the brunt of attacking expectations.

The new signing has, for the most part, acquitted himself well. It’s early days for the young Swede and 2 goals in three matches, even if one was a penalty, is not a shabby return for a Premier League newcomer.

Stand-in skipper Kieran Trippier has been very impressed with his new teammate, who has only been in the ranks for 25 days. This is what the England international said about Isak as published in The Mirror:

“He’s slotted in straight away and, in training and games, it’s like he’s been here for ages, but it’s more about developing as a team and finding his strengths. Everyone has seen what he’s all about.

“I’ve played against him in La Liga. When Allan Saint-Maximin and Callum Wilson come back, we’ll be an even bigger threat.

“He plays off the shoulder, he’s quick, he’s good in the air. We’ve got an all-round striker, at such a young age. He’ll keep growing and will keep scoring goals for us, that’s for sure.

“But we need goals from all over the pitch, not just him. We’ve created so many opportunities the last couple of games. we just need to start putting them in.”

Isak turns 23 on Wednesday when he’ll be off with the Swedish squad for Nations League matches against Serbia and Slovenia. The young striker has shown his qualities in glimpses and once the kinks in attack are smoothed out and other stars return, Newcastle will be much more lethal in front of the net.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WLtoon

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:50 AM

Quality player, but play to his strengths.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM

WLToon

I for one certainly hope we don’t sign Maddison next summer for £35m…

…because his contract runs out in the summer so we could get him for free lol

Whether we get him in January or not will depend on whether Leicester are in a relegation scrap or not I reckon.

• WLtoon

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Ruddy,

Really, i thought Maddison had 18 months left on is contract, in that case i agree with you, get him in for nowt in the summer 🙂

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous,
    Maddison has 18 months left in January so really does start to become a stick or twist for them, he’s not signing a new contract by the looks of things. We are definitely the new kids on the block in the next level of clubs. We will be referred to as the big seven in three years time I’d say.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:13 PM

No space to run into fir Isak, or anyone else
    Gotta learn to pull the defense about.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM

Still the same Eddie. Humble, self effacing, practical & concise.
    What’s not to love?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM

Ah bugger, I thought I’d read he was out of contract next summer, in that case WLToon, Nij I apologise!

Am I right in thinking Tielemans is out of contract in the summer though?

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM

Yes, it is Tielemans that is out of contract this summer.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:34 PM

Does he not have his heart set on Arsenal.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:49 PM

Bit of unnecessary shit stirring from Craig Hope of the Mail, saying Howe has to fet a tune out of Isak, he’s only been here a few weeks and ‘scored’ three in three.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:50 PM

Oops, apologies for the bad language.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:56 PM

Tielemanns looks the type to dictate terms/clubs whatever…doesn’t look like a character fit. Not sure ‘bout maddison either.
    Who knows?

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:57 PM

CLINT FLICK,
    I think Maddison has been tarred with a party boy image, has he not settled with children now. I think he’d be a huge hit with the fans.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:57 PM

Nij

Don’t worry about the language, mate. How we gonna know what ya ralking about if you don’t type ‘mail’?

We’ll let you off, this time.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:00 PM

Nij

Wasn’t really talking bout partying, I wouldn’t know, don’t follow the soapy stuff.
    Just looks arrogant, which is required, and maybe you’re right, maybe he’s chilled. Eddie will know!

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:02 PM

Nij

Yea, the fans would love him. They don’t care about character.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:03 PM

Quite a lot of interesting players out of contact this summer, I know some of these are unrealistic/not what we need/not likely to come/wages too high but still:

GK: Oblak, de Gea, Safonov
    CB: Skriniar, de Vrij
    RB: Didn’t see one I had heard of.
    LB: Gaya, Guerreiro
    DM/CM/AM: Tielemans, Jorginho, Lemar, Kante, Luiz, Laimer, Gundogan, Kroos, Modric
    RW: Messi, Asensio, Tsygankov, Traoré, Di Maria
    LW: Rashford, Zaha, Trossard
    STR: Ronaldo, Benzema, Depay, Firminho, Brereton Díaz

Personally I would be looking at Jan offers for Brereton Díaz, Trossard, Tsygankov, and Tielemans

Oh and a cheeky bid for Messi, Modric and Oblak too.

🙂

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:20 PM

The Taco Taker,
    Four in four out for the next four windows would leave us with pretty much a whole new team. The only survivors for me would be. Pope, Trippier, Targett, Burn, Botman, Krafth, Bruno, Isak, ASM and Anderson.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:24 PM

Actually, will Trippier be still here in two seasons

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM

Bit early to look at free transfers surely?! Most of those players will sign new contracts and others will only leave for a CL team.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:30 PM

Yeah I like the 4 in 4 out idea, the problem is getting interest in and money for the players we want to move out at least for the next year or so.

I really think the key for our long term success will be young players coming through to supplement our senior squad and save us having to splash the case all the time. We are a couple of years from that probably, but that is what will will make the difference. So in addition to 4 in I would like to see 3-4 young players coming in per window (even if we let them stay at previous club for a year or loan them out elsewhere)

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:35 PM

TDS, yeah I know, of course some will extend contract and I as said others are unrealistic/not what we need/not likely to come/wages too high.

I think the ones I named (not Messi, Modric, Oblak) are worth looking at in Jan and/or summer if they have not signed new deals though, and I think those players are unlikely to sign extensions.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:35 PM

Signing 4 players for our first team squad in January sounds optimistic to me. I’ll be happy with 1 or 2 in January, ideally the 1 or 2 that lost of us agreed we need, a right winger and an attacking midfielder.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM

The Taco Taker,
    Aye, this summer showed that, we literally had to give players away. We might not actually be able to do a four in four based on that.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM

Nijmegen – i would add Joelinton to that list also.

• SirRhosis

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:39 PM

Clint, @125 last thread. How about Cli*t Flickr?
    Bit near the knuckle for some I suppose 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:40 PM

Taco – I don’t think we’ll be going after the likes of Benzema, Modric, de Maria, Messi or Ronaldo anyway. Unless an older player has a massive desire to join us for a specific reason (like Trippier and Burn), I think we’ll go for younger players.

I’d dearly love to see us sign a player like Rashford if he can really keep his form up but I suspect he’ll take the easy route and renew his contract at Man Utd.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:41 PM

The Taco Taker,
    Aye me too, that rules out a four in four out. Ridiculous idea, forget I ever said it lol

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:53 PM

Isak is a quality finisher of that there is no doubt.

My issue with him on Saturday was that he never made runs to the near post when we broke wide. That made the crosses look worse than they were, although granted they weren’t great.

Wilson makes those near post runs, whereas at 6’3 Isak probably feels he’s best at the far post. Heading from outside the near post is a different skill to heading at the far post and Isak needs to brush up on that.

These are all things I’m sure Eddie will be working on in training. As Tripps said, we need to find his strengths and play to them, and find his weaknesses and work on them.

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:58 PM

Of course we won’t be in for the likes of Messi or Benzema. I was just listing people who are in the last year of their contract, including both realistic and unrealistic targets

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM

Bills Son Is Back,
    I’m sure they will watch endless footage of what he could have done better, he’s brand new to our system and no preseason. Shame he’ll be going away with Sweden during the break.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:21 PM

Isak has been awful but I’m going to give him time. Also knowing ASM is out and have not played with him. ASM is absolutely vital.

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:27 PM

Taco/TDS

I think that it is perfectly fine to talk about free transfers, its very relevant to the blog, so why not?

Not many on that list who I would get excitrd about though. The year for free transfers were this year. Some amazing names among them and in number not seen before.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:31 PM

ilovetoon8788,
    Yes, apart from his three goals and one on one he set up himself, he’s been awful?

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM

Sir R

Hey, don’t encourage me, mate!!!

😉

• The Taco Taker

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:37 PM

Awful does sound extremely harsh, he just arrived as a young player in a new league, country and team and he is scoring goals already. Not sure what some people are expecting after 3 games!!

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM

The Taco Taker,
    The same people thinking that the owners will sack Howe for not getting CL this season.

• valle

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM

Nijmegen

Its 2 goals, surely we dont count offside goals? But other than that I agree.

But who has actually said that they think that the owners will sack Howe? I havnt seen it, and spreading that around spreads a huge amount of negativity on the blog.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:49 PM

It must have been a really difficult task finding the right forward. Some of the names bandied around were out and out CF’s. We already have two outright strikers. Olly Watkins is one who can play both wide and central, he would have cost in excess of Isak and I doubt Villa would have sold.