Late last week, Football Insider claimed Eddie Howe had given the green light on a January attempt to land rising superstar Mykhaylo Mudryk of Shakhtar Donetsk. The 21-year-old has hit a number of elite club’s radar since the start of the year.
Arsenal pondered a move while there were reports that Shakhtar rejected bids approaching £30m for the Ukraine international. They managed to keep hold of Mudryk after the summer and his star has only continued to rise this season.
Speaking to Football Insider, former England keeper Paul Robinson backs Newcastle pursuit of Mudryk in the winter window saying:
“He looks like a real talent. To be putting in performances in the Champions League at his age says a lot.
“I’m sure there are a few clubs looking at him now. It is only a matter of time before he leaves Shakhtar. They cannot keep rebuffing bids. There will be a figure that they have in mind. Newcastle would be an attractive proposition.
“I think they could do with another top winger. Obviously they have [Allan] Saint-Maximin but I’m not sure [Miguel] Almiron, [Jacob] Murphy and [Ryan] Fraser are going to get them to where they want to be. Mudryk is a player for now and the future. Howe is evolving that squad slowly. I think they will continue to develop over the next 12 months.”
The issue is going to be his price tag. Shakhtar scoffed at bids in the £30m range, and their director, Darijo Srna is on record saying it would take a lot of cash to land the dynamic winger.
CBS Sports’ Ben Jacobs tweeted the following earlier this week about the mounting interest in the Ukrainian.
Everton had a €30m bid rejected this summer. Sporting director Darijo Srna says: "Mudryk is a serious talent. After Mbappe & Vini Jr, he's the best player in Europe in his position. If someone wants to buy Mudryk they must spend a lot, a lot, a lot of money & respect our club."
— Ben Jacobs (@JacobsBen) September 19, 2022
Mudryk would be a dream signing in January but after parting with £60m for Alexander Isak in August, it could take another club-record bid to nab Mudryk, who has stated it is his dream to play in the Premier League.
Having a player like Mudryk along with Allan Saint-Maximin is likely the priority in future windows. Reports emerged last week that Newcastle also continue to track Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby, who was once a top summer target.
Newcastle were quoted around £50-60m for Diaby and moved on rather quickly. If Leverkusen’s troubled start to the season continues, it may increase hopes of a January breakthrough for the Frenchman.