web analytics

Comments From World Cup Boss Reinforces Newcastle’s Approach To Talent Search

Newcastle’s search for young talent in South America has been well-documented in recent months. Links have emerged to budding stars in both Brazil and Argentina, including reports of negotiations being underway for Velez Sarsfield playmaker Maximo Perrone.

A claim has emerged that Newcastle are also exploring the north for hidden gems. The Chronicle has published the following from Canada manager John Herdman, Newcastle fan born in nearby Consett, on his contact with NUFC head of recruitment Steve Nickson:

“I’ve had a few good conversations with the head of recruitment over the last two years around some of the Canadian players so they’re on the radar. There’s no doubt.

“We had a good chat about some of the Canadian players. They’re on board, they’re aware, they’re doing their homework. They’re aware of some of those younger guys that are starting to emerge.

“David Edgar was the last for a while and I dare say this World Cup and the World Cup in 2026 is going to raise the stock of Canadian players.

“While I’m still manager, I’ll be supporting my local club to have those conversations. There would be nothing better for me than to watch my top players playing on a Saturday at the club I want to watch them play for.”

Former Magpie David Edgar had 42 caps for Canada. The defender was a Newcastle academy product having joined at the age of 14. He went on to make 23 appearances for the Magpies before departing for Burnley in 2009.

Newcastle appear to be scouring the far north to find some young talent to follow in Edgar’s footsteps. There are, of course, links to established stars such as Lille striker Jonathan David.

A few years ago, Newcastle were linked with Jonathan David’s compatriot Cyle Larin, who currently plays in Belgium with Club Brugge. That is also the home of Tajon Buchanan, an exciting young winger.

Canada are starting to produce some world-class talent. Bayern Munich’s Alphonso Davies tops the list having starred in Germany for the past three years. The 22-year-old has made 134 appearances for the Bundesliga champions.

There are other North American talent starting to make names for themselves including in the United States. A player who has really caught the eye is American teenager Joe Scally of Borussia Monchengladbach.

Scally, at just 19, has already made 50 appearances for the Bundesliga club. He could give former Magpie DeAndre Yedlin and Milan star Sergino Dest some competition at right-back in this year’s World Cup.

Herdman’s comments reinforce that Newcastle are searching far and wide for top talent. They have already landed future star Australia’s Garang Kuol, who recently stated he is unfazed at facing defending World Cup winners France on Tuesday.

• Mort

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM

Its mighty mort

• DrGloom

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM

It’s not so mighty drgloom

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:56 AM

The above article relates to my point that it means bugger all when someone writes “Newcastle United are tracking… ” or “Toon watched…” as our recruitment team will have watched many thousands of players and be tracking hundreds at any one time, maybe even thousands. It stands to reason that they’re monitoring players to see how they progress and try to find the optimal time to sign them if they want to. But every other properly run club is doing exactly the same thing.

• Mort

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:57 AM

I thought I read they wanted to introduce Sunday posting?
    If Royal Mail go to 3 days then other companies like Evri will offer 7 days and take Royal Mail customers. Maybe owners will start selling off certain buildings and assets. Royal Mail has messed up going private.

• check the toastie

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:02 AM

Rather than give Darnik any sympathy TDS why dont you just lecture him on trade unions.

And today’s lecture series will be ‘the decline of the trade union in the 21st century’ by Prof TDS.

Dr Gloom 20 points for Relentless Condescending behaviour please.

• DrGloom

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:03 AM

I guess they really want to split off the hugely loss making letters service from the highly profitable parcels service.. I’m guessing they’ll eventually split them off and as Darnik says ..move to a 3 day letter delivery service and make 10,000 redundancies

• DrGloom

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:05 AM

TDS – 20 points for you , you also get a 10 point bonus for racking up.20 points in one post 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM

Lesh – I know you’re on the left but you can probably tell that I’m pretty central. You totally missed my point though and used it as an excuse to have a go at me and attack the Tory government. I also dislike this current Tory government btw.

My point is that almost everyone is taking a financial hit at the moment and people in unions should have to take the hit like people not in unions. That’s the reality. You can talk about windfall taxes or tax the rich as much as you like but as that isn’t happening, it is frustrating to be inconvenienced and even have to spend more money when unions strike when people in non-unionised sectors are getting screwed too.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM

DrGloom – awesome. I knew I’d find my calling eventually!

• DrGloom

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:08 AM

TDS – another 20 points and an extra 59 for saying tax the rich more

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:08 AM

Check – no lecture from me. I was merely putting across my opinion and one shared by quite a few people I’ve spoken to. You got a problem with opinions now?

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:09 AM

Mort
    You misread they want 3 day mail deliveries and 7 days parcel deliveries
    But they are trying to do P&O 2.0 by getting rid of as many staff as possible and hiring on a fraction of what current staff is on or going to franchises, they’re pleading poverty due to their own mismanagement giving 500,000 plus to shareholders and massive bonuses to the hierarchy then blaming the posties for having no money, don’t believe msm on this issue go have a look on CWU and see the real story

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:09 AM

DrGloom – would it be a good time to call you a tw*t and mention that I finally managed to birdie the 6th hole at my local course yesterday? 😉

• DrGloom

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:12 AM

😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:12 AM

DrGloom – I liked my post #13 for an extra tw*t point. 😉

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:16 AM

Tds
    Unions are defending workers rights it’s not all about pay rises in fact that’s the least of my worries, I appreciate change is needed but we had an agreement for change which our new ceo ripped up and tried to take the piss, for instance why do we need to move to the un workable hours of 9:15 to 6:45 that poses so many risks from accidents to thefts from vans, not to mention businesses want their mail earlier not later, without Unions the fat cat’s would cause even more poverty than is already evident

• Mort

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM

TDS got with a bird with 6 holes? Must be some alien from the Species movies
    😉

• Mort

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM

Which party was responsible for privatising Royal Mail?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:24 AM

Darnik – I’ll read up a little more on it. I did the same when a barrister I play golf with told me they were striking too. I didn’t really know much about what barristers do until I read up on that. He ended up quitting and getting a job elsewhere, which only increases the pressure on that service when good people leave.

What I read on the Royal Mail strikes so far is that it’s about pay, conditions, and jobs. What is the logic behind that shift of hours? Less time stuck in rush hour?

Fat cats are screwing people over all over the world. That’s why I sympathise but also commented on why people can get frustrated by strikes. From a personal perspective, I’m using Royal Mail so much less now it wouldn’t be a big deal if it disappeared, which also means those strikes won’t affect me, but I know many people I speak to are getting fatigued by the constant strikes from various unions. Travel especially.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM

Mort – you’ve probably never been close enough to a women to try this but have a look at your favourite p*rn site and count the holes next time…there’s at least 6, you just have to look elsewhere…

• Mort

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:30 AM

What kind of p*rn does TDS watch?

• The Bard of Bensham Bank

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:32 AM

I see Fenners is out driving in his car…

An additional verse to the Madness song from Tuesday…

I am driving in my car
    To Newcastle, it’s oh so far
    We’re going to see a couple wed
    But the Fenham show it’ll be instead
    I’ll surely manage to upstage the bride
    When I arrive upon Tyneside

I like driving in my car
    It’s better than a Jaguar……

😀

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:34 AM

TDS

You exemplify strikes in the travel sector contributing to public fatigue yet you don’t ask why there’s no sign of settlements. Whether you like to hear it or not, this government needs to approve any offers. Hence, the employers are limited in the scope for negotiation, unions are frustrated and the public’s fatigued!

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:35 AM

Tds
    I appreciate people’s frustration but some people still rely heavily on the letter service which Royal mail ultimately wants rid of, as it stands we have what is known as a USO universal service obligation which means we have to deliver to every house in the country 6 days a week which they want rid of and as I said earlier eventually going to 3 days a week, you may not use it but a lot of the elderly rely on us and we are sometimes the only person they talk to that day (why I’m always late) if left unchecked they will destroy Royal mail for greed it’s as simple as that

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Darnik

Bon chance or ‘break a leg’ as ‘we’ say…

STRIKE!

• lochinvar

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:55 AM

I had to read this twice and then realise it is of course one rule for the plebs and one rule for some of those who were probably involved in the corrupt decisions surrounding the WC going to Qatar.

Are Corporate areas the same as ‘select areas’. Apparently not.

Just like the Houses of Parliament
    You can see how the French Revolution started.
    Will ‘Becks’ be seen drinking ‘Budweiser’ while receiving his £150million state hand out ?

Pass me the sick bucket.

Alcohol will not be sold at the World Cup’s eight stadiums in Qatar after Fifa changed its policy two days before the start of the tournament.

Alcohol was set to be served “in select areas within stadiums”, despite its sale being strictly controlled in the Muslim country.

Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol.

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:57 AM

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:01 PM

• Novocastrian66

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:03 PM

The Post Office has been decimated since it has been split up and sold off.
    The gradual decline in service to what it was to now is a disgrace.
    In the past the profitable parts of the business propped up the loss making parts of the business, ultimately providing a 360 degree service.
    Now, the profitable parts only benefit the shareholders and the loss making elements are left to decline reducing service levels and employment.
    That’s privatisation for you.

• Vask

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:13 PM

• Novocastrian66

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:15 PM

Darnik; I constantly see Union executives having to defend their position on what are supposed to be news programmes. However I have never seen an employer on these so called programmes being cross examined in the same way.
    These national broadcasters are supposed to impartial but clearly they are not.
    BBC presenters should not be doing the companies executives jobs for them by repeating their propaganda.
    If they are not prepared to go on the programmes to voice there position they should be ignored.

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM

Novocastrian66

Unfortunately, it’s not widely acknowledged that the Beeb has been told to toe the government line or else no licence fee.

It goes without saying that Sky and other parts of Murdoch’s empire will take a pro government position as he’ll be keen to take the Beeb over.

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:37 PM

Novo

😉

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:39 PM

Has Toney’s gambling been done to death now 😀

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:41 PM

Novo/lesh
    He needed to ask his question then stfu to let him answer but he was too busy pushing the narrative he’d been given, biased isn’t a strong enough word smh

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:42 PM

Raj

Hope so, ffs!
    😉

• Regan

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:47 PM

Odds on it won’t be..

😆

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:48 PM

Lesh – if the government approve pay rises, spending to improve conditions, and commit to no/fewer job losses, then who pays for it? They’ve already effectively raised taxes and are cutting public spending so where does the money come from? They either cut public spending in other areas or find more ways to increase taxes, right? There’s no way there’s a simple answer here.

• Romford mag

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM

Do you think he’ll back himself to get away with it ?