web analytics

Local Lad Continues To Work Hard To Reach Ultimate Goal

One of the many pleasant aspects of this campaign so far has been the steady involvement of Elliot Anderson. The local lad, who turned 20 earlier this month, has made 9 appearances including his full home debut in the Carabao Cup win over Crystal Palace.

Anderson impressed during the preseason to earn a place in the squad. He’s proven to be a handy option for Eddie Howe as his versatility has come into play. Anderson has played on the left, in the midfield, and even on the right against the Eagles.

In a recent interview posted on nufc.co.uk, Anderson said the following about his preseason and how it helped grow his confidence at his hometown club:

“It was a huge pre-season for me. I knew that when I was going back into it. From the first day, I just thought: ‘I haven’t got much time to try and stay around here, so I’ll do everything I can.’ That’s the mindset I have. I knew I wasn’t going out easy – I had to take it.

“The experiences I had with Bristol developed me both as a person as well as a player. I moved away from home and I came back into pre-season with a lot of confidence coming off the back of a good season.

“Knowing you’ve done well and thinking you almost deserve to be around the team is a better feeling than not really knowing if you’re going to be involved. It lets you crack on with the football and I think that season made me realize that I should be around it (the first team) and I could push on from here.”

For now, Howe has mainly used Anderson as an impact substitute. His two starts both came in the Carabao Cup. The youngster is determined to become a regular in Howe’s starting eleven and that desire motivates him each day.

This is what Elliot said about continuing to improve to reach his ultimate goal:

“I’ve been coming in off the bench but that’s not where I want to be. I want to be in the starting eleven. I’m still working every week to try and get more minutes and hopefully push my way through to achieve that.

“Coming in every day to train and living in Newcastle is great but I want to be playing more. I’m just missing that one feeling of being involved in the team every week and have that feeling of being a big player.

“I think it will come eventually. I’m still only 20 years old, and hopefully I will get there.”

In Anderson, Newcastle have a player who should play a massive role at the club for the next decade. He needs to look no further than Sean Longstaff as inspiration. The 25-year-old has become a consistent starter under Howe.

Anderson has the ability and drive to reach the same heights. His talent and versatility will hopefully help him eventually become an everyday starter at Newcastle United.

• Dubai Micky

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM

Decent comments there from the lad, show’s he’s smart as well as a decent player for us.

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:54 PM

Cheers Bob most posties are good lads and out in all weather so why not fight for our rights, I’m off this week and I felt sorry for them the rain we’ve had

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:58 PM

Darnik – always fight for your rights in a free society mate. It’s pretty rare that someone else will fight for your rights so either do it yourself or see them taken away from you! I do think the postal service is doomed but rage against the dying of the light for as long as you can!

What did you have done recently? Leg operation did I see?

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:02 PM

I think EA needs to get out on loan to play regular.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM

I have to agree with earlier comments that the banning of alcohol in most areas of the stadium 2 days before the World Cup starts is shocking. I can’t believe that something has drastically changed at the last minute and it really does smell badly of either a deliberate plan at worst or a disorganised mess at best. I’m not one that thinks you need to drink at football to enjoy it but it’s awful to change the rules 2 days before the start, especially as corporate areas can still get alcohol??? Disgusting.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM

Raj – I think it depends on if we sign someone else in January. If we sign someone like Maddison, then Anderson can go out on loan, but if we don’t then we need him in the squad.

• Swanny

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:24 PM

Darnik

“DARE TO STRUGGLE DARE TO WIN”

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:28 PM

Tds
    Total knee replacement
    Swanny
    Exactly that mate

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:28 PM

Swanny,
    Are you from Oz?

• Zhongguo Geordie

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM

Hopefully it’ll get better in time Darnik

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM

Jail
    100% he needs a good championship loan where he’ll get regular games, that way we can see how far he’s come since his Bristol loan

• Swanny

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM

Jail

CFMEU

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:31 PM

Zg
    A bloke on my delivery said he was the same 6 months in but after a year it all seemed to get better and he’s well happy now

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:31 PM

Cleveleys

I don’t know which media you read, but there is a consensus (including the IFS and IBR) that yesterday’s statement represented no more than a holding budget that achieves little. The problems and the £70b of debt’ll still be there in two years – just in time for a general election.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:32 PM

Darnik,
    Aye, he’s looked OK when coming on but nothing to suggest he’s a “Geordie Maradona” so it would be nice to see him get in to a groove with Burnley maybe and cement a place. If he then can’t get in to a high flying Burnley team then it might not be happening for him.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:32 PM

Just heard that the reason Wilson was missing and then a little unfit recently is that he had Covid. Glad things aren’t as crazy as they were before now that the damn virus isn’t as dangerous!

• simon376

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:32 PM

Think it’s wrong to change so late on, but amazed I was ever considered to sell alcohol at the games seeing as where it’s based, would have thought anyone going wouldn’t expect to get a pint at all apart from maybe designated areas in hotels. Friend of my Dads worked in Saudi in early 80’s and no chance at all, had to go to air base where brewing own stuff. Though think it’s changing now for the holiday resort they are putting together

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:34 PM

Darnik

Sorry to hear that early retirement’s not an option. In that case, let’s hope that whatever agreement’s agreed, you’ll benefit short, medium and long term.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:34 PM

Darnik – I know folks who have come back from knee replacements and hip replacements so I’m sure you will too. Just a matter of time. I imagine you held it off for as long as you could so hopefully you’ll start to see the benefits soon!

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM

Swanny,
    I thought so, is there much talk on Kuol in the papers.

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM

Cleveleys

You seem keen on fracking – would you be so keen if an operation were to be opened up in the vicinity of your home?

• Zhongguo Geordie

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM

Cbob,
    Apart from the fact we don’t have the least emissions or whatever, we are a country that doesn’t produce most the stuff we consume. All the factories making our clothes are in India, our cars are made abroad, our oil comes from abroad, our tanks mainly pollute other countries, the flights we get pollute other countries and all the ships coming to and fro from China etc aren’t polluting our country. It’s not as straightforward as just looking at emissions. US army for example is worse than countries like Sweden, but isn’t counted.

• Swanny

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:39 PM

Jail

The kids highly rated, exciting prospect.
    Could be a real diamond in the rough for the Socceroos

• lesh

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:40 PM

TDS

Can I just say that as you don’t know me at all, I am not far left in my leanings.

Saying such sets you up to qualify for the heavy-mob (aka WhatsApp). They wrongly presume and repeat clichés.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:41 PM

Lesh – Hah! It’s a fair point. I’ve had this conversation with a few pro-fracking people and they sure as hell don’t want it happening in the nice bit of greenbelt land that they walk their dogs through. Quite happy for it being somewhere else though.

Fracking is just eking out the very last bits of gas in the earth though isn’t it? The risk of earthquakes is the main risk talked about but that seems minor. It’s the greater risks of leaks into local water tables that seems more serious to me. Investing in renewable energy is the way forward anyway. More should have been done already.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM

Swanny,
    Do you think he might actually start a few games

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:48 PM

Lesh – please do point out the post where I said you are “far left” and I will apologise. I certainly don’t consider you far left, though I do consider you’re definitely on the left. If I made that mistake in one of my comments, I’ll happily retract and apologise.

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM

Lesh
    I’m hoping for a few more years yet at least 8 and then I can take my pension and run (slowly) for the hills

Jail
    Exactly he needs game time but also competition for a place to see if he will ever be a first teamer here

Tds
    Yeah just frustrating not being 100% and patience isn’t a virtue i was blessed with 😉

• simon376

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM

Darnik
    In 2015 my mam who was then 71 plucked up the courage to have her first knee replacement should have done it years before, was in the December then March or April of following year fell over and had to have hip replaced, then in December 2017 got her other knee done, never looked back since, you will be fine

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM

Darnik – I had an ACL reconstruction when I was 28 and it was very frustrating! Injured it in November, had a arthroscopy a few weeks later to clean it up a bit (ligament lodged under my knee cap so locked my knee at an angle), then spent 6 months doing physio to strengthen it again, then had it reconstructed so back into physio to get walking again…

I know how you feel. Was very frustrating!

More tw*t points for me from DrGloom…

• Toon fans bad

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:53 PM

Feels like the Tony Blair geezer is running the country again, standby for a war somewhere, the auld money maker 😆

• Swanny

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:53 PM

Jail

Good question, I believe he will used of the bench.
    He’s certainly capable of influencing a game as a substitute.

Time to chase the Kangas out the top paddock.

• Darnik

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:58 PM

Simon/tds
    I had a pot on for 9 months at 17yo due to getting my femur totally crushed so I’ve got a lot of muscle waste in the leg anyway so the quads above the knee aren’t helping with recovery but I’m sure I’ll get back to walking my usual 8 to 12 miles a day 😀

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:00 PM

Swanny,
    I think I’m going to put him in my FF team and have a bit of fun with it.

• scott

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:00 PM

Darnik
    Iv got 5 good friends that are long serving posties so I know a little of the conditions that are being thrust upon you all!
    I really hope you manage to get an acceptable outcome & wishing you a speedy recovery with your knee!
    Ps il be bloody foaming if my bills are late because of these strikes! 😉 😀 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM

Darnik – sheer determination/stubbornness will get you a long way! Grind away at the boring physio while watching the football and you’ll definitely get there!

Retirement is all well and good but it’s hard to reverse retirement…hope you can continue enjoying being a postie for as long as you want to.

• niafron

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:03 PM

With Kuol, will be hell of a competition for game time on the wings ( except if there’s injuries ).

Isak, ASM, Miggy, Murph, Fraser and now Kuol… 6 for two spots is probably too much.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:09 PM

Niafron – give Kuol a bit of time to try and break into the first team mate…he might never get there!

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:17 PM

Niafron,

You’ll be quaking in your boots – Australia first up, Kuol hatrick?

• lochinvar