web analytics

Which Would You Prefer Newcastle Achieve This Season?

Newcastle squeaked by Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup on penalties to keep their amazing winning run intact. The fourth round of the competition is the first match when the World Cup break ends next month.

Eddie Howe has not been shy in sharing his dream of winning a trophy at Newcastle United. The head coach has fans dreaming of not only potential cup success but securing a ticket back to European competition for next season.

Former Magpie Rob Lee has spoken to Compare.bet about Newcastle’s terrific start which has been published in The Chronicle:

Lee has made it clear that Howe should focus on winning some silverware this season saying:

“It has been amazing really. I think no one – not even the most staunch Newcastle fan – could have predicted the transformation of the club in a year. I think when he [Howe] came in quite a few people were skeptical, I think because of what happened at Burnley.

“Newcastle are a huge club with huge expectations, but he has been absolutely brilliant and he has got the players playing for him and he has brought players in that have made us a better team. It reminds me of when I joined back in the 90s, everyone is pulling in the same direction and the club are moving forward at a rate of knots.

“I thought when Eddie first took over the target would be to stave off relegation, get a few players in and try and stay in the top half of the league, but expectations are going to rise. The Geordie fans will be thinking ‘Can we win the league here’, but I have said many times I would like us to go for a cup – we are still in the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup.

“We are not going to win the league. That’s not going to happen. We have done brilliantly well, but I would just like us to go for a cup because over the years we have always saved ourselves to stay in the league. I think we are past that now so let’s try and win a cup, win some silverware because it’s been a long time since we have.”

Newcastle are unlikely to mount a serious challenge for the title this season. Though due to the amazing start, a top-four finish is now on the lips of many fans and pundits alike.

As Lee noted, Newcastle are also alive in both cup competitions with a date against Bournemouth set for next month and the FA Cup starting early next year for Premier League clubs.

If you had to pick just one, would you prefer Newcastle finish in a Champions League place or win some silverware for the first time in over half a century?

Which Would You Prefer Newcastle Achieve This Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Mr Tuff,

As you quite correctly say……

Rubbish!

🙂

• cyprus

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:02 PM

Unfortunately, cups have lost their gleem, except for clubs that never won them. Sir Alex started it, TBF. But also European bodies, there’s no Euro cup winners cup anymore.

It’s hard to believe maybe, especially for us, but it’s easier to win a cup than finish top four. Many a simply decent outfit have won cups. The pl is a marathon, a different beast.

It would be heroic to finish anywhere near the top 4, given our recent record.

PS. I could play it safe and say I won’t both, but that’s not a real answer to the asked question 😉

• cyprus

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:02 PM

I won’t – I want

• Romford mag

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:04 PM

Alright alright!!

A Cup then !

🙂

• Romford mag

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:06 PM

Can’t see why we can’t get both though ! 😉

• cyprus

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM

Rom
    Reading back, I wasn’t clear.

Top four preferred to a cup :). Of course, these questions are like referendums and we know what they can do. It’s not a yes or no.

E.g. would you take a cup and relegation?

• Romford mag

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:10 PM

cyprus

I’m just greedy mate is all 😉

• Assassins Inc

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:12 PM

The blueprint isn’t cast in stone but along the similar lines at Man City.

The Newcastle United connection is crazy.

In 2008 they had their takeover.
    Before that there major honor was the
    Second Division title under our very own King Kev who guided the team back into the top flight in 2001.

As far as major domestic honors are concerned, you have to go further back back. City beat Newcastle United 2-1 in front of 100,000 fans at Wembley to lift the old League Cup in March 1976
    You see the Newcastle connection, crazy.

It took about three years for the first trophy after owners’ investments May 2011 when City lifted the FA Cup beating Stoke City and only by one goal.

We may be ahead with team build and getting things working quicker, win the league? would be the dream, we could, you never know, coin toss 50/50.

Win a cup, 70/30, didn’t expect anything for the first few years after takeover, so if we did that would be amazing, so cup for me seems more doable.

• investinyouthtoon

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:18 PM

Now Neil why can’t we have our cake and eat it, by winning a cup and finishing top 4? I personally feel top 4 is a few years away for the owners ambitions, and we should go for a cup this season.

Can’t we not just all sit back and enjoy this ride EH and the owners are taking us all on. I for one am enjoying every minute of it. Long may it continue.

HWTL

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:20 PM

When it boils down to it, it doesn’t matter what us fans want them to do, they finish where they finish and will or won’t win a cup.

• ottawageordie2

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:01 PM

Any cup will do. If you don’t win the league nobody cares. At least a cup is a win. We don’t have enough depth to compete in Europe and the league at the moment. That will change over a few windows. So a cup would be fantastic. Something to cheer about even of some have belittled winning one in the past.

• Hannibal

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:55 AM

A cup although a great achievement would only bring short term joy.

Top 4 however will bring longer term success, better players, better income and more exciting games in the future.

This would all lead to more opportunities to win things. Who rembers the league Cup winners 4 years ago…. No one except the fans of that club who won it. I still rember 98 and 99 finals but other clubs fans wouldn’t.

Patience!

• HobokenToon

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:04 AM

We’re really talking about CL since a cup gets you Europa. If I had to choose, without a doubt, CL. None of the big recruits we want if we’re gunning for the big trophies gives rip about Europa or the league cup. It’s true. I suspect our “more tenured” supporters would prefer the trophy but our last CP was 20 years ago. It’s not old hat to everyone. As fun as it was I wouldn’t put the Pardew Europa run in the same bucket as competing for the biggest prize in club football.