web analytics

Howe Touches On Competition For Places With Striker Missing Training

Newcastle kick-off the weekend’s Premier League action with a trip to Nottingham Forest on Friday. Eddie Howe gave his press conference ahead of the clash this morning. The head coach revealed he hopes to have the majority of his squad available but did stress a few players have missed training.

One of those is Callum Wilson, though Howe didn’t identify any players. The striker confirmed on the Footballers’ Football Podcast that he has missed training this week. Here is what he stated the following while referencing Alexander Isak:

“I’ve not trained in over a week now. So that’s why we have brought him to come into the team and not let it hamper when someone comes out.

“That’s what we’re trying to build, to get players who are almost as good as each other.

“It was a great performance from him [Isak]! But as someone who plays in his position you’re thinking ‘ah it’s going to take me another week to get back in’.”

This is nothing new for Wilson, who missed training towards the end of last week with an illness. He still managed to make a cameo in the 2-1 win against Wolves. It appears that Isak will be getting a second straight start with Wilson available from the bench.

Howe welcomes the competition as it keeps players on their toes. Miguel Almiron was also used from the bench last weekend with Howe confirming it was to rest the club’s leading goalscorer.

Howe said the following about squad rotation per Lee Ryder’s Twitter account:

“I’ve always said competition for places is key to sustaining results. We have that within the squad when everybody is fit. When we don’t, the squad is quite light in terms of bodies.

“I think it is vital you have the opportunity to do that (rest players) it is a long season with cups and Premier League, and also the way we play is demanding. We ask a lot of the players.”

Howe will be without at least three players with Emil Krafth, Anthony Gordon, and Joelinton ruled out. He still has plenty of options to make some changes but may opt to keep with the eleven that picked up the crucial win last weekend.

Howe also revealed that Gordon’s injury is slightly worse than expected. The Shields Gazette has published the following from Howe on the January signing:

“The scan wasn’t plain sailing, it wasn’t a shoe-in. It wasn’t a week or two injury.

“It’s slightly more serious than that, so we’re doing everything we can to get him back as quickly as possible.

“At the moment he’s in a period where he’s staying off the grass, staying off his feet, and the injury’s healing. It feels good, but he’s got work to do to get ready for that game.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Nottingham Forest On Friday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:00 PM

Clint

Wouldn’t be the first time I was! 😀

We discussed it at length last time with Isak haha so think we just look at it differently and that’s all good! One of us is right or neither of us, Howe will be right though which is the main thing 😉

Yeah must have been adrenaline, just seems bizarre to run around a field for half an hour kicking with a broke leg haha

• magscar

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:01 PM

Adam

I can believe it!

Mine was only ligament/tissue problem

There is of course the famous 1955/6 Cup Final when Bert Kaufman for Man City played out last 15 minuts or so with what later was found to be a “broken ” neck!!

• Munster Mag

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:04 PM

Just sent my Forest buddy my prediction.

1-2 , with Isak and Murphy scoring for us.

• magscar

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:07 PM

Munster

Hope you have 2cnd sight 🙂

Apart from them getting one that is

• magscar

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:12 PM

Cyprus

I was there that night and the following season’s 5-0 trouncing of them

Oh if only we could have managed even 2 of those in the previous match – in both of which we were clearly the better side against the supposed best side then

Small margins and I often wonder about our fortunes if we had won the league that season?

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM

Sir Peter The Pug

Peter you still about mate?

• carltoon

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:17 PM

Just been catching up.
    Where’s ROM ????
    hope everything is ok,

• cleveleysbob

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:18 PM

Magscar/Cyprus, totally agree that was the moment we blew it. Schmeichel playing a blinder for 45mins then Cantona getting that winner.

I watched it on the telly and I’ll always remember that the studio guest was Ruud Gullit who said it was one of the best 45 minute attacking performances he’d ever seen, but that it was impossible to duplicate in 2nd half. How right he bloody was!!

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:18 PM

Tin hat firmly on

I have a feeling Forest v Newcastle will finish up 1-1 but obviously desperately hoping for the win HWTL.

• carltoon

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:20 PM

SRhosis hope your feeling better, and not still in hospital.

• Digger54

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:22 PM

Magscar.
    Bert Trautman not Kaufman.

• carltoon

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:23 PM

What time is KO tomorrow as it’s 10.15 PM here i may not be able to keep awake to watch the match.

• carltoon

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:27 PM

Magscar was sitting to the left of the goal in the Gallowgate end them two games, we should have won the league that season. What might have been.

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:27 PM

That`s the apartment and flights booked for the Toon v Southampton game in April, and the apartment is situated in the iconic Turnbull Building in Newcastle City Centre, no doubt we will bring the Magical luck of the Irish with us once more 😀 😀 😀 HWTL.

• carltoon

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:29 PM

Six hours ahead, did manage to watch the last match but it was about 2 or 3 am
    .when it finished.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:31 PM

@Carltoon

745/8 PM kick off

I do love a Friday night game!!

• Toon fans bad

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:33 PM

8pm kick off in UK Carltoon!

• DrGloom

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:41 PM

Magic – hopefully we won’t need any luck and thrash them .. I’m coming up if a ticket appears so hopefully get to meet you for a pint or 3 that weekend.

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:50 PM

DrGloom

Good day mate, what`s your chances of getting a ticket for that game fella, i hope your successful, also would most definitely be up for having a few pints with you my friend 😀 😀 😀

• magscar

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM

Digger

Of course it is !!

• magscar

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:03 PM

Carltoon

You were close to where I used to sit then – Row J

• Assassins Inc

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:12 PM

Good Afternoon Tooner’s, the northern Gooners.

Wishing all a Happy St Patrick’s day for tomorrow, I’ll be out all day getting very, werry, wiry, munchkined.

Some will understand this scenario, Munster, Magic, Rob will, imagine an Irish Father in the hospital on March 17th with his wife due to drop and begging the doctor to make it happen, losing his mind and then being delivered on the 18th. Then trying to bribe the Doctor to make the birth certificate say 17 instead of 18.

Yes, my father ladies and gentleman.
    He told me what happened when I was older I just gave him that, really father look.

Toon, win 3-1 this weekend.

• cleveleysbob

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:24 PM

Happy Birthday for the 18th Assassins, just missed by a day, unlucky. 😀

• cleveleysbob

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:32 PM

Most people seem to think Forest will score against us, I’m not so sure. I think/hope we’ll win 0-something, I really want those clean sheets back.

What’s the record number for a Season? We must be close enough to break it?

As well as top 4, I’d like to see us break some records along the way. Least number of goals conceded, most clean sheets, biggest goal difference, anything like that would be nice to put a gloss on the Season end. I’m sick of some of the records we got during Ashley’s reign, like number of games in London without a win, it’s time we started getting some positive records. 🙂

• CLINT FLICK

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:34 PM

Adamn

😉

Great stuff!
    😀

• cleveleysbob

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:35 PM

And most importantly, next Season I want us to win at the Etihad, that’s a streak we’ve got to end.

Plus I don’t think Eddie’s ever beaten Pep, so I’m sure he’d like to correct that one. 😉

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:35 PM

Assassins

Very interesting Post there mate, i can just imagine that scenario indeed 😀 😀 i take it you`re going to drown your shamrock tomorrow then my friend 😀 😀 Unfortunately i`ve been off the drink for 4 weeks and not taking anymore Devils Buttermilk to i visit the Toon at the end of April where i will well and truly drown my shamrock !!! Assassins are you also Irish mate or just your Father?

• geordie157

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:36 PM

For Forest, for me it’s

Pope
    Trippier, Schar, Botman, Targett
    Longstaff, Bruno, Willock
    Almiron, Isak, Saint-Maximin

I think it’s a good game for Targett to start, maybe get 60mins then Burn can come on.

Almiron or Murphy is a close call, would be happy with either of them starting.

Anderson could come on for 20 mins or so for Willock or Longstaff

Hopefully Pope will be back to his usual self, Forest do launch balls forward to Surridge or Dennis and Johnson has impressed me.

• CLINT FLICK

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:36 PM

Remember Stu Pearce playing on a broken leg…Psycho Pearce!
    Punk Rock footballer!

• geordie157

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:39 PM

I think Johnson, Brighton’s Ferguson and Joao Pedro could be names we are looking at in the summer. The latter has had a few injuries this season.

Although I like Wilson, I could see us cashing in with his injury record and bringing in two attacking players.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:43 PM

Most of the team picks itself really. Only realistic questions could be at LB and RW.

I expect to see Burn play as he’ll offer better defensive cover for ASM than Targett will. Murphy didn’t do too badly so perhaps he’ll keep his spot but with Almiron being rested for the Wolves game, perhaps he comes straight back in.

Not really that many options with Wilson, Gordon, and Joelinton being unavailable to start.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:47 PM

I should think that CW will not be in the England squad this time round, he’s been never present and way off form.

Sean must be in with a chance though!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:50 PM

carltoon

You’re on your hols, it doesn’t matter what time you go to bed! 🙂

• magicmac54

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:51 PM

Assassins

Wishing you an early happy birthday for tomorrow my friend as i doubt you will grace us with your presence tomorrow due to circumstances beyond your control 😀 😀 Have a good one mate 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:55 PM

Akpong and Tella are two doing well in the Champo could be relatively cheap options.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:03 PM

Magic

I aint an expert on the U21s, however as far as I am see Alex Murphy is doing OK and a regular for them.

He did play in the cup match in Saudi for us though so I reckon that EH is keeping an eye on his development.

• sparky55

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:16 PM

I met Stu Pearce at a stranglers gig in York at the time he was still playing for newcastle.

My Daughter was mates with one of the girls that famously danced naked for the stranglers at the gig outside battersea power station many years back and she got us back stage, we walked through and there was stu Pearce!

Right grumpy twat cos he wasnt being picked at the time and wanted to leave. Not long later he did!

• sparky55

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:17 PM

I thought Akpong and Tella were a magic double act!

• Assassins Inc

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:21 PM

Father Irish magic, always been caught between two family dynamics. But have always been Irish, my father wouldn’t have it any other way and we both know, you don’t argue with you father. Especially an Irish one, they can get a little upset. 🙂
    As for the devils water, I do have my eye on some Irish whiskey, plus some of the black stuff, where I’m going it comes in 25 ounce glass, I will be :mrgreen: tomorrow.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:28 PM

Sparky

They could be a magic double act! 🙂