web analytics

Eddie Howe Provides Fitness Update As Break Begins

Newcastle have departed to Dubai for a warm-weather training camp after the 2-1 win at Nottingham Forest on Friday. The international break has come at a good time with many Magpies struggling with injury concerns.

The latest casualty is Miguel Almiron who suffered a thigh injury in training. The Athletic is reporting that Almiron will be lost for six weeks with the injury. Newcastle will have to soldier on through a congested April without their leading goalscorer.

Eddie Howe spoke on the injury concerns plaguing his squad after yesterday’s victory. He revealed that Allan Saint-Maximin was withdrawn at halftime with a tight hamstring. He also touched on why he didn’t introduce Callum Wilson in the second half saying:

“Allan wasn’t quite right today, physically, I didn’t think. He’s been carrying a tight hamstring. I don’t think it’s a pull, it’s just a little bit of tightness. For me, it was obvious during that first half that he probably wouldn’t be able to carry on.

“I didn’t want to expose Callum today, he hasn’t done a lot of training, so I decided to go with Elliot and he repaid me, he did really well. Hopefully, we’ll have Callum and Maxi fit and available after the international break.

“Fabian’s been carrying lots of different things in the last few weeks. He’s been carrying a foot problem and also had concussion, so I think it’s just a chance for him to rest his body and go again.”

Fabian Schar took a nasty challenge in the opening minutes yesterday but was able to see out the match. The defender has been a warrior this season and pulled out of the Swiss squad to get some rest for a lingering foot problem.

For Wilson, he’s struggled with illness numerous times this season. Howe added that he is also carrying some muscle tightness so it makes sense he stuck with Alexander Isak to the end at the City Ground.

He is some more from Howe on Wilson:

“He [Wilson] had a small bout of illness and then just a little bit of tightness, general tightness, no injury.

“But with Callum, I think we have to be very careful with him and make sure he’s available for the rest of the season.

“Callum’s a top professional. And he is driven more than anybody that I’ve ever worked with, so he will see Alex performing as he has done tonight and he’ll be delighted for Alex and the team.

“But it’ll only make his resolve even stronger to fight for that place.”

Hopefully, for the massive match against Manchester United at St. James’ Park after the break Howe will only be without Emil Krafth and Almiron. Getting Anthony Gordon, Wilson, Saint-Maximin, and Schar fully fit for April could be key.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win At Nottingham Forest?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:46 PM

NY Mag – I think it really does mate. I just don’t see Spurs as going on a run of results to really put the pressure on for that top 4 spot. I’ve gotta say that I could see Man Utd and/or Liverpool doing that, although the latter has also been a mess this season.

I don’t think we need a great end to the season to finish about Spurs and Liverpool. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit for Spurs to end up below Liverpool either, we just have to keep grinding out those wins.

The opportunity is there for sure. Not gonna be easy but that’s what makes it fun. 🙂

• The Taco Taker

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:46 PM

Spurs are going to be increasingly “Spursy” TDS. That seems very likely to me.

– What do they do now? – Trust Conte after the latest (and most extreme) rant?
    – Sack him ASAP?

I guess they have a couple of weeks to decide about that.

😀

• magicmac54

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:53 PM

Munster Mag

I watched it all mate on Irish virgin one tv unfortunately the Armagh v Galway game was on the same time on RTE Two so i was doing a lot of channel hoping, needless to say the Orchard let me down for the perfect treble in in the Toon Ireland and Armagh as they got beat by 2 points, but two out of three is not bad, you can`t win them all young Munster 😀 😀

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM

Italian squad has slow aging midfield. England to win easy on Thursday

• Munster Mag

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM

Magic, don’t call me Young Munster.

I’m Shannon!

🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM

Taco – just look at their squad too.

As I’ve said, I think Kane and Son are amazing players. Hjoberg is excellent too. But then they’ve got players like Richarlison and Kulu who can be fantastic on their day but haven’t consistently performed. They’ve got a bunch of decent but nothing special midfielders, have a weakness in the goalkeeping position, and I’m not sure they’ve really got that quality in defence either. Dier can be great but also very poor. I don’t think Romero has had a great first season from what I know.

Beyond those 3 players I mentioned, they just don’t impress me at all.

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:58 PM

Conte bought a lot of these players

• magicmac54

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:59 PM

Munster Mag

Ok young Shannon, or young Treaty boy 😀 😀 😀

• The Taco Taker

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:04 PM

Magic, fair point mate and a lot of what Conte said is true but it does feel like he absolves himself of blame.

To me what he is basically saying is “sack me if you like but Spurs have been shit for 20 years so does sacking me change that?”

While what he says may be accurate to a point it is not what any Chairman wants to hear from the person they appointed as Manager is it?

All the better for NUFC though.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:05 PM

I just blocked Elon Musk on Twitter. Got fed up when his inane tweets appearing when I don’t even follow him. I expect the insane snowflake will have some kind of bot monitoring people blocking him so I’ll end up on some form of blacklist before too long…

• magicmac54

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:07 PM

Be careful what you wish for in reference to Conte otherwise they might just turn their focus to a former manager who was quite successful in his time there and could make our task a lot more difficult in qualifying for Europe.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:07 PM

If Spurs were going to be a serious top 4 team, then they’d already be there by now. They’ve had plenty of chances and now it’s even harder with extra investment going into our club.

I think they’ll lose key players and sponsors over the next few years.

• The Taco Taker

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM

Yep TDS, this is why I said all season Spurs are the club we will usurp. It is just a question of when. This season is very possible.

• lochinvar

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:11 PM

The media are all over an ex-footballer returning to a job presenting football on the BBC.
    It’s a joke really, there’s way more important news out there compared to this trivial pursuit.

• The Taco Taker

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:13 PM

Fair point Magic. He is the most likely candidate. Having said that how many Managers were successful when returning to a former club?

My preferred option is Spurs all stew over it during the international break.

😀

• magicmac54

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM

The Taco Taker

I think we are more or less on the same page in reference to the comments of Conte mate, it`s a win win situation for him, so if he gets the sack he finishes up an even weathier man.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:18 PM

Loch – I’ve barely seen anything about Lineker since the debacle. I’m not sure what media you’re reading or watching. But if people are reading about him, then they’ll keep writing about him. It’s nothing news to me…

• magicmac54

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:20 PM

Taco

If Spurs do pull the plug it will most likely be during the international break mate.

Ok Lads that me done for tonight!!! Take care folks Nite Nite

• lochinvar

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:21 PM

TDS
    Agreed
    More important things in life
    NUFC to start with .

• Novocastrian66

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:29 PM

Lodi was rubbish last night. In fact every time I have seen him he has been poor.
    Ww need to keep away from him.

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:30 PM

Tds who is worse elon or ottawa 😀

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:32 PM

Lodi never impressed me. Spinazzola or Dimarco all the way

• The Taco Taker

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:33 PM

Magic Mate, GN.

The one point I would add how pleased I am to have Howe in charge of NUFC. I have said it before and I will say it again. It is far easier as a manager if you only manage elite teams. Same goes for players who say “I need to move to win stuff” – they are not all they are cracked up to be.

I want EH to demonstrate that he is an elite manager right here at NUFC.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:34 PM

Apex – if Ottawa spends $44bn on a global communication platform and then sets about manipulating what content gets most attention to align with his personal politics, then I’ll answer that question… 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:36 PM

Loch – exactly. He’s just a TV presenter with an opinion. I’ll confidently state that his opinion on many football matters carries more weight than most fans due to his experience in football. But his opinion on political topics is just an opinion of a fairly well educated and informed person. There are plenty of those in this country…

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:36 PM

Tds ottawa is a lollypop man arent they more dangerous? Them big sticks they carry around

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:37 PM

What about Jiminez as a centre forward if available cheap?

• AnyToon in Indiana

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:39 PM

NY…not much…20 tonight and 41 tomorrow…for an outdoor wedding…they do have a tent and heaters though 🙂

• Apex Predator

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:45 PM

Even alan sugar blaming spurs players kind of

• JohnJ

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:07 PM

Well I’ve just caught up again and it’s time to call it a day.

Good night Lads n Lasses

🙂

• JohnJ

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:09 PM

AnyToon in Indiana
    Mar 18, 2023 at 9:01 PM
    Alright…back to work. Then driving down to Nashville for a wedding tomorrow. Catch up again later. Night all.

By the way I some times use Nashville tuning on a six string guitar

• A Geordie Mongrel

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:35 PM

Evening all, I thoroughly enjoyed the match last night and like many celebrated just a little too much. Can’t really add anything to the positive comments. It’s a joy to see us playing good football and a great result to boot.

I’d caught up just before the match and had a bit of an essay composed on why 777 Partners are bad but it’s British Basketball they are ruining and nothing to do with football so I binned it.

Looking forward to seeing the reports out of Dubai.

• Munster Mag

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:52 PM

Havertz….surely one of thebiggest pricks in the prem

• Assassins Inc

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:56 PM

If Newcastle want to take a little gamble on a couple of young players one is 23 and the other 24.

This of course opens up the transfer window budget for some bigger names stars, they should look at Nathan Tella can play on both wings plus second striker has been scoring goals for Burnley, 17 goals now, on loan from Southampton and they may go down, his current market value is only 4.5 Mill.

The other Viktor Gyökeres, 18 goals with 8 assists, and just happens to be international team mate of our very own, Isak.
    Market Value 5 Mill. So on market value for both, 10 million.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:28 AM

Assassins

Aye, I mentioned Tella the other night along with Akpom although the latter is 27.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:45 AM

Akpom seems to have been around for ages. I remember him being touted as England’s next big thing when he was breaking records for Arsenal in the youth leagues. I thought Gyokeres was going to be a one season wonder then disappear, but he is having his second good season in a row, so there’s less of a risk in my eyes. I wouldn’t go buying either for our first team, but as cheap squad fillers these types of signings can often turn out to be bargains. And if they are cheap (5-10m), which I doubt, then they’re only bench fillers anyway and would still be in demand in the championship. I could imagine Gyokeres going to Brighton or Brentford and doing well.

• cyprus

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:52 AM

Best season ever? Nine teams in a relegation dog fight, a win shoots you up the table. See Leeds yesterday. Four five teams fighting it out for third and fourth. That doesn’t leave many teams which are going for nothing.

Six pointer out next game. It’s not the end of the world because there are still so many points to play for and it’s the bottom line that counts.

• cyprus

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:55 AM

On coaches. Choose the best leader:

A) Eddie supports and covers for his entire team, including the two injured/out of form.

B) Conte throws his players under the bus instead of blaming himself.

C) None of the above.

• cyprus

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:04 AM

I know who gave ASM his vote for MOM!

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:00 AM

cyprus,
    Look how many managers have failed at Spurs, I’m not saying Conte was right to rant like that but he’s got a point, it’s Levy holding them back yet it’s the manager who gets blamed every time there. I think he’s trying to point that out. He’s surely gone after that though, not sure Kane is going to be happy being called selfish. I wish a manager had of said that about Ashley, one was getting there but was accused of playing to the gallery for it.