web analytics

Newcastle Have Identified Six Positions To Strengthen This Summer – Report

The Athletic’s Chris Waugh reported last week of Newcastle’s plan to add around six new signings this summer. The positions to be targeted are left-back, center-back, two midfielders, and two forwards.

The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards has backed those claims as his sources within the club are echoing similar sentiments. The budget has yet to be determined as Newcastle navigate the final stretch of the campaign with European football next season a real possibility.

Which competition the club lands in will determine just how big the budget becomes with the carrot of the Champions League still dangling. However, the summer plans are shaping up with the six aforementioned positions already identified and some enticing targets on the shortlist.

An attacking left-back seems to be a priority with Kieran Tierney the preferred choice. Arsenal would have to sanction a move for the 25-year-old who is tied down at the Emirates until 2026.

Newcastle are currently short in the middle after Jonjo Shelvey’s unexpected exit to Nottingham Forest. Edwards reported yesterday that Manchester United’s Scott McTominay would be targetted in the summer with Leicester City’s James Maddison the preferred playmaker.

Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher and Wolves’ Ruben Neves have also been discussed. Gallagher has been a long-term target dating back to the prior regime when loan moves were attempted. The player seems settled at Stamford Bridge.

Edwards is also reporting that Newcastle want a powerful striker similar to Chris Wood along with another versatile forward. This makes some sense as it gives Howe plenty of options in attack. Howe also sees Isak as a second striker or a wide forward despite his recent displays.

They will also attempt to add a young center-back likely right-footed. No targets are mentioned though the name of Benfica’s Antonio Silva has been touted in some circles. The 19-year-old would be an amazing if not highly unlikely addition.

The planning for what is shaping up to be an exciting summer is underway. If Newcastle can finish this season strong, a top-four finish could make the next transfer window one to remember.

• magicmac54

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:14 PM

Coming Home 😀 😀 😀

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:15 PM

TTT = curtain twitcher hello hello hello what do we have here then, nothing to see here 😆

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:18 PM

Coming Home – as I’ve told you before, it’s only banter when it comes from a point of affection. When a mate greets you with “how are you doing you ugly w**ker?” you laugh, give him some banter back and it’s all good, right? But when a guy you don’t know or who clearly dislikes you says the same thing, it’s not banter at all.

Let’s be honest, if I said the things to Fenham that you and Fenham say to me, he’d be offering me out for a fight.

You are right about one thing…I’m not going to let it wind me up.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:21 PM

Sheltered life springs to mind when you are concerned GDS. I took the T out as it doesn’t become you 😉

• dazzler

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM

CH,

Not upset on others behalf. Annoyed at the pointless bollocks, baiting people into arguments for no reason whatsoever.

You of all people on the blog know I can take a bit of piss taking and dish it back out, and it’s perfectly fine to me to do that. I just don’t see the point in causing ructions for the sheer sake of it.

What good comes of it? It’s just going to cause stress for the admins and then they’ll end up closing the blog down. Then what? We go to the .org blog? It’s fkn shite over there.

• Ty21

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM

The real question should be how much is the transfer budget rather than how many players will be coming in.

• ottawageordie2

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:23 PM

Previous post: 2 things.
    1 I was born at the General not to far from the Tyne. Grew up just around the corner and up the hill from Central Station. I think that makes me a Geordie.

2. It would be good if any “like” was identified. Sometimes it’s just to say I agree or I’ve read your comment and thanks.
    Or that when we respond the comment goes with the comment we are responding to as it does on Facebook. That would make this blog more honest.

• The Taco Taker

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:24 PM

That’s the spirit lads! Go after me just banta eh.

People are signing off for the night…but why? Was it something I said?

Most people know how this ends.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:25 PM

Bobby dazzler you stated “ What good comes of it? It’s just going to cause stress for the admins and then they’ll end up closing the blog down. Then what?”

What about getting a life 😆

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:26 PM

TDS

I certainly don’t dislike you mate, I like reading your posts, I hardly ever agree with you But I look out for your posts more than most, not sure why maybe I prefer reading controversial posts rather than back patten posts

Respect TDS mate

• Ty21

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:26 PM

I rather not have 6 McTominay’s quality of players, which might cost 200mil in total. As I said before I rather strengthen 2 of the Newcastle weakest area with 150mil.

• dazzler

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:27 PM

FTC,

Right back at you Herr Chalfont…Maybe the next time you refer to others as “blog police”, perhaps don’t spend all day trying to control what others talk about 😉

• valle

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:28 PM

I really dislike Ten Hag and his attempts to be another fergie with his “mind games” and “fergie time”… I would love, just love it if we give them a huge defeat.

• magicmac54

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:31 PM

Ok folks time for my traditional hot bath& cold shower, take care and keep safe Nite Nite fellow Toon fans HWTL.

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:31 PM

Dazzler

You do have good banta but coming from where you come from you should know when someone is on the wind up and not to make a scene of it

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:31 PM

dazzler herr? You calling me a Gorman?

• Ty21

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:31 PM

Oh, wow another aunties market spat. Bye then………

• Adamn_92

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:32 PM

TDS

Honestly I can’t remember! I think I’ve always considered Isak as a center forward though, so be surprised if I suggested he would play wide left more. Maybe I did earlier in the season thinking Wilson would be up top, can’t remember if I’m honest though!

• valle

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:35 PM

Ty21

I agree about the signings… I hate to see us linked to players who are not top quality such as McTom, and I can only hope that it is his agent trying his best to get him a move to us.

On one hand we are linked to nearly everyone, so that might make it false, but on the other hand, the rumors about how Eddie prefers EPL players just wont die which makes me not so sure.

Considering that our best buys have been from foreign leagues, it would really be stupid to resaddle now.

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:35 PM

Isak can play anywhere he is that good
    He is probably even more intelligent than me

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:36 PM

And Munster
    😆

• Apex Predator

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:37 PM

How did taco know fatty will comment on #74? Where’s mulder and scully

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:38 PM

Isak can play right across the front 3 but it seems Eddie may want more of a target man to be more central. The thing is with Isak he is not built like your usual EPL No9. However saying that his last few performances have shown that he is up for the challenge.

We shall see in the summer where Isak fits in properly. Eddie didn’t spend 63m on him to not be in the front 3. Personally I can see him playing any of the front 3 positions. He really does have it in him and will be a force to be reckoned with and was a great buy.

• Apex Predator

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:38 PM

Anyone think fenham is Jedi 😉

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:40 PM

Oh fook here’s the Ass predator

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:41 PM

I see the hearts counts have subsided since Raj Mr Jonathan Heart left the building. Hmm aye it’s obvious who the true heart manipulator is. It was ze Raj 😉

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:42 PM

Ass predator 😆

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:43 PM

Fenham

What Raj doesn’t know about this blog isn’t worth knowing
    He is the blog

• Apex Predator

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:44 PM

Oh no its boogeyman back under my duvet i go

• CLINT FLICK

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:44 PM

Nailed on creativity is what this team craves right now.
    From a complete team pov.
    We have ball winners, water carriers, solud defenders, direct mids.

• Apex Predator

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:45 PM

With coming home always chasing kids could he be that villain from chitty chitty bang bang?

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM

CH aye he (Raj) lives on here so he nahs his onions and what buttons to press etc. He eats and breaths the blog, it’s his daily and nightly supplement. He has his 2 blog coppers policing the blog none in TTT and wee Bobby dazzler to come flying in when the seas get a tad choppy 😉

• The Taco Taker

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:48 PM

Everything goes fine for a bit (footy talk) then certain people turn up and immediately go after people, if someone calls this out they are part of the issue. What these people seem to have failed to acknowledged was we were just talking footy.

My concern is that Neil could easily say “Sod this it is too much hassle and I have other concerns”

So I get irritated when it turns back to personal insults. If that makes me part of some “blog police” so be it.

What I would add is where have all the people that were talking about footy gone? Why?

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:50 PM

CF. Our team is absolutely desperate for creativity. We do need a top AMF player who can create a player in the Maddison mould.

However, we also need to finish off and be more clinical with the chances created. What I love about Maddison is he can see an arrow shot bang goal. We’ve really lacked a good shot at goal from distance and seem to want to walk the ball in the net at times.

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:51 PM

Taco

Just relax talk football and if you want to join in the banta all the better
    If you just want pure football and no banta I think there will be big holes in the blog
    Maybe I’m wrong though so how about this

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:52 PM

If you would like me to cease posting heart this

• coming home

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:52 PM

If you like banta heart this

• valle

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:54 PM

Problem with Maddison is that we dont play with a 10, and I dont see us changing our formation, so does he work as a 8?

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:55 PM

Raj will be on very soon with his heart manipulation machine to stack the hearts up.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:58 PM

valle that’s a very good point you make re Maddison will we change it up so he is a No10 or do we play him as a No8.

I’ve actually thought about this and I can see Eddie changing it when we play a low block team so we have a No10. We are playing more teams who sit deep as they know we don’t have that creativity to break them down. Madders would change that. Madders could easily change to a No8 IMO of course.