web analytics

NBC Video Highlights: Manchester City 1 – Newcastle 0 – City Show How Good They Are – Plus Howe Press Conference After Game

After our tremendous showing at home to Aston Villa in the season opener last weekend, we were hoping for maybe even our first league win at Manchester City since way back in 2003.

But it wasn’t to be, and City came out as worthy winners with Newcastle nowhere near the top form we needed last night to get a decent result – a draw or a win.

The Man of the Match was Phil Foden, and Newcastle just couldn’t contain the brilliant 23-year-old Stockport-born England International.

The winning goal came after 31 minutes when Foden set up Alvarez, who slammed the ball past Pope, who may have got a glove to the ball.

Newcastle were better in the second half but Foden set up several chances for Erling Haaland, but he didn’t have a good night and wasted several opportunities.

Elliott Anderson came on in the second half and again looked like some player in central midfield – Anderson must be given a Premier League start soon this season – he has earned his chance.

It could be positive that this game came so early in the season, and now, if we didn’t know before – we know that we still have a way to go to becoming one of the consistent top 6 or top 4 sides in the Premier League.

Here’s what Eddie Howe thought of the game in his press conference after the game – disappointed.

Next up are Liverpool at home next Sunday afternoon in the late game (4:30pm KO) and we could do with a good win and performance in that game.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Manchester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are always welcome.

• Raj of Hailsley

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:10 AM

I wonder how they’ve managed to get rid of Castore so quickly, was it the i that looked like a T or their complete inability to provide enough shirts on time, or just plain and simple negotiation???

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:12 AM

TTT has already put his house up for sale. He saw I was heading to Whitley Bay.

Nearly a Bard moment there.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:16 AM

niafron

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:51 PM

@Mister T

By the way, Mustard is perfect to stay fit, not fat in it.

You should try with Rabbit, it’s delicious!

Jessica Rabbit is devastated. She is now identifying as a Parrot (good job done there Magic)

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:30 AM

You see? That is how to shut a blog down. Tiny steps. Said the Pug, short legs.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:41 AM

I just read an interesting point on arguments/disagreements.

Ask the other person/people, “what would it take to change your mind?”

If they can’t answer that question then you’re wasting your time discussing the point with them…

• jimiley

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:46 AM

TDS
    I learnt years ago that you do not debate on here. A waste of time. People are set in their ways. You give your opinion and leave it at that

• DrGloom

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:47 AM

Surely you would just reply, what would it take to change yours … can see that argument going on all night … he’s behind you, oh no he’s not

• DrGloom

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:50 AM

You think Liverpool players red was harsh and cited shearer as your argument, I don’t think it was harsh and cited most refs agree with me .. what would it take to change your mind ?

• Wor B

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:52 AM

“what would it take to change your mind?”…

An admission that I’m wrong. 😳

Happens on here all the time. 😆

• DrGloom

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:53 AM

Jimily, there have been a few debates on here although mostly when people are pretty much in agreement anyway

• DrGloom

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:54 AM

What would it take to change your mind ?

A million quid 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:56 AM

jimiley – had some very good discussions with some people on here though. I know I’ve had my opinion changed or refined by learning things from others on here and I know the same is true the other way around.

Can’t tar everyone with the same brush.

• Wor B

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:57 AM

Dr Gloom

A bit pricey!

Folks, if you want to get Wor B on side £10 to the usual address will do the trick.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:58 AM

DrGloom – if only 1 person can answer that question then it’s still a pointless discussion from the other side isn’t it? Unless the open-minded one is genuinely interested in obtaining more information. I know I could answer that question in virtually every instance.

• jimiley

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:59 AM

I have been on here since 2007 and was one of the first to call out Ashley.
    I spent years calling him out and many bloggers spent years defending him along the lines of he is a businessman and would not deliberately harm his own business.
    It was all a waste of time.
    Debating is a waste of time unless you agree with others and then it’s not a debate but a love in
    Give your opinion and go

• Adamn_92

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:00 AM

Nothing like starting the morning with a back and forth argument type thing about how best to avoid a back and forth or argument type of thing.

• jimiley

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:00 AM

Dr Gloom
    That’s not a debate when you agree

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:00 AM

DrGloom – pretty simple reversing the Liverpool red, I haven’t seen the opinions of those refs so share that information with me and I might change my mind. My current opinion is based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of the rules, having watched the challenge a couple of times, and the opinions of various experts including the on-field ref, VAR, and others during and post match.

• Adamn_92

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:01 AM

Congrats Wor B, think we would have drawn 70-70 in our H2H but my risky -8 transfers have given you the win.

Until next time…..where I make an equally risky move that doesn’t pay off and costs me again 🙂

• Wor B

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:03 AM

Thanks Adamn

I think there was a compliment in there somewhere. 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:04 AM

jimiley – I think the problem with speculation about Ashley early on is that unless you were really on the inside and knew Ashley very well, then it was really just speculation. Shepherd wasn’t running the club well so we genuinely can’t say things would have been any better under him.

Depends what you mean expected under Ashley to be honest. I hoped he would one day wake up but I think once he’d screwed up with the KK debacle, I think he lost all interest in any passion for NUFC and it just became a pure asset for him. At least I still hoped he would look after his asset a bit better than he did…

• magicmac54

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:06 AM

TDS@764

That looked suspiciously like a touch of early morning fly fishing big lad 😀 😀

Playing Golf this morning at silverwood mate, tee off at 10-45am, at least the weather is looking promising so far.

• Harley

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:07 AM

On the “debating” debate.

I had a disagreement one here once a while back with a poster, who at the time was a big poster (can’t remember the name). It was about whether Danny Welbeck was a good player. I thought he was and he thought he wasn’t.

I cited all the reasons I thought he was good, one of which being Alex Ferguson really rated him (at the time Fergie was still top dog). His reply was how would I know Fergie rated him. I told him the page number in Fergies book where he waxes lyrical about him and how he utilised his skills in Europe.

His response to that was I shouldn’t believe everything I read. I remember just being exasperated.

My point being, I absolutely agree that there is no point ever debating your point on here as I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone say “actually I think you’re right” in the 12 or so years I’ve been on here.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM

Magic – nothing of the sort! Genuinely read that quote on Instagram this morning. Pretty easy get out from any discussion though really. If someone states that they won’t change their mind, what’s the point?

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM

Magic – enjoy golf today! I played the previous 3 days, went from a 93 to an 84 and then to a very peculiar and unlucky 96!

• martoon

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:10 AM

I’ve made my normal disastrous start to FPL. At least I’m the strongest team in D2 – holding the rest up. 😉

• Ibizatoon

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:13 AM

I jumped 3m places in the worldwide league this week. So basically, using math here, I’m going to be top next week. Fact.

Nothing will make me change my opinion. Math is math 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:13 AM

Harley – I can say categorically that I have changed my mind on certain topics, including saying that the Hall transfer added up a bit more when I was told he’s actually a Toon fan. Before learning that fact, the transfer just didn’t make sense to me when you consider other factors.

But yeah, it can be frustrating when someone will use any excuse they like to deny the relevancy of your evidence but insist theirs is definitive.

For the record, Welbeck has always been a good player, just had a couple of injuries I think and didn’t hit the heights he maybe could have. Still had a bloody good career and earned a bucketload of money. Still doing ok at Brighton isn’t he? I’d say that’s a decent career…

• jimiley

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:14 AM

On the debate issue, if you are foolish enough to get involved, it very often descends into personal abuse and who wants that?
    When you cannot agree, it’s the messenger who gets it rather than the message. Usual suspects on here but there are some good posters who appreciate a different point of view.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:16 AM

I get the point of the quote TDS, but I would say maybe even if it’s not obvious, seeds can be sown. What perhaps may be a better slant on it, if someone isn’t wanting to be open minded, limit the debate. No discussion and nothing ever changes.

Imo, the issue is a lack of respect towards others on here.

• Wor B

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:16 AM

To be fair, TDS is one of the few posters on here who has changed / modified his opinion during a debate.

To obtain an example send £10 to…

Wor B
    PO Box21
    NE1AA

• Ibizatoon

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:19 AM

Wor B…I’m struggling with international postage. Do you not accept transfers or bitcoin (not that I hold any, or any money tbf)?

• Mund

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:20 AM

Adam @775 😆

I didn’t know we had so many professional fisherman as Newcastle fans

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:20 AM

Ibiza – I agree, the lack of respect is a big part of the problem. And the hijacking of a rational discussion by someone who just wants to turn it into an argument.

Imagine sitting in a pub with 2 or 3 of your mates and discussing whether Welbeck is a good player (for example) and then some other bloke just comes over stating that anyone who thinks Welbeck is a good player is a moron, he’s League One level at best, and Fergie’s book means nothing as you can’t believe everything you read. You’d just tell him to do one wouldn’t you? Or (much more likely) he wouldn’t have that kind of attitude in the first place.

• Dubai Micky

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:20 AM

martoon, you and I both, nil pois.

• Mund

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:22 AM

Alan Shearer on Tonali’s Wetherspoons booking:

“That was brilliant, wasn’t it? I think from what I can gather he’s gone into the dressing room with his broken English and said to the guys ‘I’m looking for a nice restaurant in Newcastle’.

“And as the dressing room would do they’ve said ‘yeah we’ve got a great one for you’. They told him to go into Wetherspoons. There was even a booking piece of paper on the table in Wetherspoons – booked for Tonali for four people.”

#NUFC |

• Ty21

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:22 AM

ToonDarnSarf

I’m fine with others not changing their opinion, it’s their choice. Problem is they start abusing you for having different opinion from them, even worst they twist your opinion and attack you with them.

• Raj of Hailsley

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:22 AM

On debate-gate,
    I’d absolutely love to know who Munster Mag is aiming his “allowed to be disappointed” at again and again and…………

• Adamn_92

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:23 AM

It really isn’t that deep or require some logical approach or any theories about how they happen. Just be a decent normal person when talking to someone and an argument won’t happen. Just be a decent human being when discussing something, it really isn’t that difficult.

• magicmac54

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:24 AM

TDS

Golf is a crazy and sometimes very frustrating game as you know, one day you can play fairly well and should have a good score, but perhaps the short game can let you down, other days it could be the putting, it`s just so very difficult to connect all aspects of the game from tee shot to putting!! But it`s like a drug and the good shots always bring you back 😀