web analytics

Sven Botman Out For 6-9 Months With ACL Injury – What’s Going On?

Newcastle have announced a rather surprising and distressing injury to Sven Botman.

We know Botman has had a knee injury and has been playing injured for a month or more. so what are the medical staff at Newcastle doing?

We have had more injuries this season than in any season in recent memory.

Newcastle must get to the bottom of why this has been the case – with the Botman injury hopefully leaving some embarrassed people in the medical department.

Particularly those who are responsible for diagnosing injuries and selecting the initial treatment.

Here’s the distressing statement issued by Newcastle today on Botman:

Sven Botman has suffered an ACL knee injury against Manchester City and will be out 6-9 months.

Newcastle United defender Sven Botman will undergo surgery next week after suffering a knee injury against Manchester City.

Following further assessment, a scan has confirmed that he sustained an injury to his ACL during Saturday’s match and he is expected to return to action within six-to-nine months.

The Dutch center-back initially sustained a knee injury in September 2023 and elected for a non-surgical rehabilitation plan – a decision which saw him return to action in December.

Everyone at Newcastle United wishes Sven a full and speedy recovery.

This injury asks some big questions of the medical department on all the injuries we have had and initial decisions made on their treatment.

There should be an independent investigation of all our injuries this season.

This includes the diagnosis, initial treatment, why these initial decisions were made, what the alternatives were, and why some players like Botman and Longstaff were (are) playing while injured.

We are already damaged by injuries for next season.

🙁

And Botman’s absence will not help us in the final 10 games of this season while we try to qualify for Europe.

What do you think?

• Arthur Romsdale

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:34 AM

Knowing Eddie he’ll be pushing for English players.

Godfrey and Mitchell types

I’d sack him

• Hibbit

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:37 AM

Arthur Romsdale
    and now this clown claims “Livramento not good enough” we’v more troll than posters these days,

• Hibbit

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:16 AM

Yankuba Minteh’s fine form for Feyenoord has been recognised with a February goal of the month award.

Minteh’s opening goal in a 2-0 win at Almere City last month has been named Feyenoord’s goal of the month for February. The strike marked the start of a fine scoring run for the 19-year-old as he doubled Feyenoord’s lead in the closing stages of the match before scoring against PSV Eindhoven and Heracles in the games that followed.

• Arthur Romsdale

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:20 AM

League position says it all. Summer signings haven’t had an impact.

• Arthur Romsdale

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:20 AM

You could argue they’ve had a negative one

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:28 AM

Arthur Ramsdale & IrishToon are both alts of our insufferable and disgusting troll. I think we are all well aware of this now…. This useless abomination of whatever it is needs to find a job as it has too much time on its hands trolling this fine blog.

• Hibbit

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:33 AM

Romsdale your posts just oozes negativity almost as if Munster had wrote them 😆

• Fat Basta*d

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:45 AM

#68 mask slips

“Rolling on floor in car park”

CH is a shirt lifter 😀

• Fat Basta*d

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:45 AM

The Gallows for Jelly Belly

• lochinvar

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:49 AM

Not another one ?

West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta says he is “happy to be helping as much as I can” with an investigation for potential betting rules breaches.

Last August, sources told BBC Sport Paqueta, 26, was being investigated by the Football Association.

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:59 AM

Sven Botman on his injury:

“It is difficult to accept that surgery is out of the question, after fighting so hard to avoid this step.

The support and love I have already means a lot to me.

I won’t be able to do what I love the most for a while, but after my knee problems recently, I know I will come out of this period a better player.

My team Newcastle United remain the most important and I will continue to support you every day.”

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:00 AM

No hate filled response to the incompetence of the medical team or specialists that advised him. Funny that 🙄

• Munster Mag

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:01 AM

Some old boys are losing their marbles around here.

• Adamn_92

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:05 AM

Massive shame about Botman, just have to hope he comes back better for it. Definitely seemed off since he came back from injury.

But it isn’t as if the club have GCSE medical students learning their trade giving out advice. They’ll have experts in their field who will have been assessing him and making the decisions. As well as getting expert advice from specialists.

So I trust everything was followed and done correctly. They obviously thought surgery was avoidable and sounds like Sven himself also wanted to avoid surgery. Ultimately, looks like it was unavoidable.

But I don’t think anything was done incorrectly. If it was, Sven would be well within his rights to sue for negligence. Which I very much doubt will happen.

• Adamn_92

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:08 AM

Guess it just boiled down to:

Option 1: Surgery for 9 months out

Option 2: Chance he can recover without surgery and not be out for 9 months

We went for option 2 (again, following advise from specialists and medical experts) which sadly didn’t work and we lose him to surgery for 9 months.

All that’s realistically happened, is we’ve slightly moved that 9 month absence, due to a chance of avoiding it entirely.

I’m not sure there’s any massive issue here, really?

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:15 AM

From Nufc.com
    The Borrowers:
    Loan lads

Isaac Hayden (QPR):
    The R’s played out a 0-0 draw at the mackems in the Championship on Saturday, with Hayden completing 84 minutes.

Jamal Lewis (Watford):
    The Hornets won 1-0 away at Birmingham City on Saturday in the Championship, but a foot injury prevented Jamal from featuring.

Dylan Stephenson (South Shields):
    A 2-0 win at Buxton for the Mariners in National League North on Saturday saw Dylan introduced from the bench in the 77th minute.

Matty Bondswell (Newport County):
    An afternoon unused on the bench for Matty, as the Exiles won 2-0 at AFC Wimbledon in League Two on Saturday.

Michael Ndiweni (Annan Athletic):
    It finished 1-1 at Montrose in Scottish League One on Saturday, with Michael completing 75 minutes.

Rodrigo Vilca (Vozdovac):
    Following a goalscoring comeback on Tuesday, Roddy kept his place in the side and completed 65 minutes of a 1-1 home draw with Cukaricki in the Serbian Super Liga on Saturday.

Yankuba Minteh (Feyenoord)
    The Rotterdamers won at Heerenveen by the odd goal in three in the Eredivisie on Sunday. Yankuba completed the full game without adding to his goal tally.

Garang Kuol (Volendam):
    Another painful afternoon for the Eredivisie’s bottom side on Sunday, beaten 0-4 at home by AZ Alkmaar. Garang remained among the unused substitutes.

Harrison Ashby (Swansea City):
    Despite playing 45 minutes for the U21s in midweek, Harrison wasn’t included in the matchday squad for Saturday’s Championship meeting with Cardiff City.

Ryan Fraser (Southampton):
    Currently sidelined with a knee injury.

Jeff Hendrick (Sheffield Wednesday):
    The midfielder remains exiled from the Owls squad.

Kelland Watts (Wigan Athletic):
    The defender isn’t currently in line for selection.

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:16 AM

Makes far too much sense that Adamn_92 and just won’t do for the rabid mob.

• JohnJ

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:22 AM

JohnJ

“Thank you for your words

Stil miss her every waking hour

It gets easier but never gets easy ( to quote a songwriter i think)”

I’m not surprised that you miss your Lady every hour! I know how I would feel if
    I lost my Lady – I met her in 1967 and she’s been my best friend, soulmate, and a wonderful Mother to our 2 girls. I’m fully aware that time doesn’t stop so I thank God for every day we are given. We had a scare back in 2007 when she had cancer and had to undergo major surgery.

“As with many others on here who have suifered illnesses and losses it’s something you find ways to cope and deal with – it’s part of life”

“A great family and my passions for NUFC and music help greatly”

Many years ago back in 1967ish I was a nailed on Beatles fan but went to see The Clancy Bros & Tommy Makem in the toon and that awoke my love of Irish music in my soul. I was telling MagicMac the other day that I’m 35% Irish (from my Mother’s side and 48% Scots from my Dad. My forefathers were Blacksmiths at Chillingham Castle (near Wooler) so not really surprising there’s so much Scots!

I sing a lot of Irish stuff & Carrickfergus is one of my favourites.

Take care Bonny Lad!

• Fenham to Chalfont

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:24 AM

Great words by Botman. Get fixed and super fit ASAP. Come back the player we all know fine well. It’s a positive that the type of operation he will get has came on so much in modern times and has a big success rate…

He will be a huge miss but I’m sure NUFC will act accordingly in the summer transfer window.

I hope Eddie gives young Alex Murphy a shot at some point in the next 10 games, he has a huge potential to make it big especially under the wings of Eddie Howe. A young man from Galway so Ledge and Magic will be extra excited about this lad.

• JohnJ

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:28 AM

Can’t believe we’ve suffered another major injury blow!

Just hope the medics can get Botman back playing asap and it’s nearer 6 months than 9!

• lesh

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:35 AM

Fenham

You invite questions when you comment about alts and the amount of time they spend posting on here.

Can you tell us how many alts you’ve used over recent years?

• magscar

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:40 AM

Harvey

Re Barkley

I was obviously unaware of that and he’s seized opportunity and really put himself back on map

He’s going to have a few suitors maybe not top 6 but some including us will think he’s worth a gamble but what will his agent be after for possibly his last big chance?

• magscar

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:41 AM

Harley not Harvey

sorry predictive text as on phone for a change

• magscar

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:06 AM

JohnJ

Yeah I’m a bit of a celtic mongrel too but not quite as high % as you 🙂

Wasn’t a big Beatles fan (still don’t have any albums of theirs) but do respect them of course – more so nowadays when I have a chance to listen more as I’m not as preoccupied with finding new music not on radio as I was back then as a kid

Was more Stones ,Kinks Hollies and Who but also Dylan from early teens which took me to Byrds, Love,Buffalo Springfield ,Loving Spoonful, Simon and Garfunkel ,Moby Grape, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane then onto singer songwriters like Jackson Browne Steve Forbet, John Prine, Gram Parsons Steve Earle, Emmylou

Byrds album Sweetheart Of The Rodeo after being a shock to the system grew on me and got me more interested in Country

That and Leige and Leif (Fairport) became big influences in my late teens

Am basically now an Americana lover but still with a love of folk from these Islands including contemporary ones like Fairport, Runrig, Saw Doctors, Pogues, Christy Moore

Often wonder is there something in our genes, some cultural inheritance not necessarily knowingly passed down?

Nah probably just good taste haha ?

Take care mate

• magscar

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:14 AM

JohnJ

Oh and cherish your good lady every day

But from your post I know you already do

I’ve got a lot of memories – With her from 1969) as have our kids and grandkids and they hurt like hell at times but we wouldn’t change a one to lessen the pain

Music is good therapy

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:19 AM

@Jail

Sorry just noticed your message

So on the 90 min thing as it stands over 2 seasons the evidence says Isak isn’t really a 90 mins every game player 2 games a week for us in the Premier league even when he plays a couple of games you can see he is struggling perhaps he needs surgery?

There’s no doubting Isaks goal scoring he’s the most accurate finisher in the league (including Halaand) but the way we currently play he’s often isolated chasing lost causes which might also contribute to his injuries…..

I think his lack of hold up play and aerial ability against Premier league centre backs means we often lose possession when it goes up to him in this system. But I feel we should be trying to get the best out of him more which means having players closer to him (a hold up player etc)

When he plays for Sweden Gykores does the holding up and Isak plays slightly behind in a 2nd striker no 10 role and he seems much more suited to that but not sure if we will go that way ?

• lesh

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:26 AM

magscar

My musical development’s not too far away from yours. Having been born in the late forties (a Red Spot Baby to boot) curiosity took me to the likes of Radio Luxembourg so I could get to the non-Brit pop pap that the Beeb would churn out. From there to the likes of AFN which broadcast blues, jazz and other US generated music.

Of course the sixties came along with the advent of the British bands – all this while I was developing an interest in the blues and black music in particular. The Brit bands of that time held little interest for me and those I did go for were the ones that did R and B based stuff – the Stones, Who, Them, John Mayall etc etc leading to the Blued. From thereon, came the hippy-trippy days of Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, and all of the Laurel Canyon crowds. A strong interest in Folk had developed and that whole mix led to that thing called World Music. John Peel and Andy Kershaw have a lot to answer for.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:32 AM

Also don’t think the tactic of giving it to Trippier and letting him pump in crosses all game gets the best out of Isak either

We need more passes in between the lines to feed him like Bruno and Miley try with him

• simon376

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:35 AM

LCBP
    That’s exactly where I see Isaks ideal position. Yes been great for us up front and also good on the left, but I think if we could get another forward/no 9 as Wilson rarely fit, Isak slightly behind would be just perfect. Remind me if the good old days of Quinn and McGee or even closer to home for me, Kelly and Gavin

• Hibbit

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:40 AM

Gyokeres would be a great buy and a perfect fit with Isak, loved him at Coventry a proper handful in the championship and has continued to improve, a player I’ve always admired but i fear he ‘s out of our price range now with these current FFP rules,and his current release clause of £85m

• simon376

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:43 AM

Hibbit
    Is such a shame at that price as we could just go get him if not for FFP and how many points we would lose the following season. If we have another injury hit season just can’t afford to lose points as well

• snowdone

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:46 AM

I think Isak is most effective when he is allowed to roam along the front line. He works best as a fluid forward.

Most fans who spout off on blogs, Twitter etc. are not your typical fan, just willing to give their opinion on everything.

Sven has given an honest take on his injury problem.

Let’s hope for an injury free International break!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:47 AM

@Simon376

Isak for me at his best seems to be when he’s looking at goal able to see the whole picture where he can have a shot or make a run for the ball

It depends on what our style going forward is perhaps the 352 might suit the bulk of the squad better with overlapping wingbacks and a strike partner for Isak?

Although it would mean the pressing game wouldn’t work as good I imagine so who knows

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:50 AM

Quite a good podcast had it on while working today fair and balanced

• magscar

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:52 AM

Lesh

Yes I know most people associate the best decades with the one they grew up in and that’s understandable but I reckon we were fortunate us baby boomers for the rich and varied music landscape that we had

• Regan

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:54 AM

Botman gave his thoughts on the knee situation..
    He’d rather take a chance and help the team.. unfortunately it didn’t quite work out..

But it does give us an indication of what sort of gadge he is..
    It’s happened.. we move on..

• simon376

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:57 AM

LCBP
    Know where you are coming from would love to see 2 up top but as you say loose something elsewhere

• lesh

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM

Magscar

We babu boomers have benefited by more than the richness of music we were exposed to. The music we listen to says such a lot about us and our willingness to tolerate, embrace and accept life and whatever it brings to the table.

• JohnJ

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:00 PM

Magscar / Lesh

I was born in 44 and soon I’ll reach the magic number of Eight Zero – where did all the time go?

Did you ever get to The Downbeat? It was a den of iniquity and where I first heard The Alan Price Combo! Later to become The Animals to hear their music live was amazing. I also loved The Beatles and have their first 7 LP’s – There was some great music around at that time. I mainly sing Irish, Folk, Country nothing too heavy. I have five guitars but I must get them down to three. I have a Taylor Koa, An Ibanez Black Beauty, and an Ibanez 12 string.- The Taylor is the most valuable and sadly I think that will be sold soon. Need to buy a Tow Car and I’m looking for Ford Kuga. I’ve had three Mondeos and they’ve all been brilliant tow cars.