web analytics

Newcastle Squad Off To Japan In Preseason

Newcastle have announced they will travel in pre-season to Japan.

With the squad due to play a couple of games in Melbourne, Australia immediately this Premier League season ends – that’s a lot of air travel for the lads.

This is more detail posted on the Newcastle website about the tour:

Newcastle United will travel to Japan in preparation for the 2024/25 Premier League season after being invited to take part in the ‘J.League International Series 2024 powered by docomo’.

As part of the 2024 event, the Magpies will arrive in Tokyo on Sunday, 28th July before taking on 2022 AFC Champions League winners Urawa Red Diamonds at the 63,700-capacity Saitama Stadium on Wednesday, 31st July. Kick-off is at 7:30pm (all local times).

Eddie Howe’s side will then face last season’s J.League runners-up Yokohama F. Marinos – managed by former Leeds and Liverpool midfielder Harry Kewell – at the impressive Japan National Stadium on Saturday, 3rd August. Kick-off is at 7pm.

Ticket information and further details – including plans for supporter events in Tokyo – will be confirmed in due course.

Eddie Howe said:

“We are pleased to be visiting Japan this summer. It’s an amazing country and it will be a unique experience for our players, staff and supporters.”

“We will be taking on two strong teams at two special stadiums, and I’m sure they will present the type of physical tests we need at that time as we build towards next season.”

The J.League has attracted several heavyweights of European football in recent years, with Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea and Sevilla all previously travelling to the Land of the Rising Sun to participate.

Last year, clubs including Paris Saint-Germain, Inter Milan and Celtic also participated in their own friendly matches in Japan in preparation for their respective 2023/24 campaigns, while UEFA Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund have confirmed they will return to play in Osaka this summer as part of an Asian tour.

Newcastle United’s chief commercial officer, Peter Silverstone, said:

“We thank J.League and docomo for inviting the club to be part of what has become a hugely popular series in the Japanese football calendar.”

“Newcastle United has fan communities in Japan and across Asia, and this is an exciting opportunity for the club play in front of local and travelling supporters on an iconic stage as we continue to grow our presence globally.”

“Meanwhile, we want to connect and engage with partners both in the UK and in other key territories. As we step out in our new adidas kits, for example, we will be wearing a brand that has a long-established and special connection with Japanese sport and culture, and that presents unique mutual opportunities.”

“For any pre-season tour, our aim is to support the needs of our teams during this crucial period and the players will train and play at elite facilities in Japan.”

“We are continuing to work collaboratively on our overall pre-season schedule and hope to announce additional matches in the UK and Europe soon.”

How Will Newcastle Fare At Old Trafford On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Fenham to Chalfont

May 14, 2024 at 8:56 PM

I ended up at a mates house at a 50th birthday celebration after shearers and didn’t get in until 4am my missus was absolutely furious. I had a lot of making up and explaining to do the next day… 😳

I’m still feeling the after effects still now. Those days of partying are long gone for me, it was a one off (my excuse). I’m back in the good books so no harm done 🙂

• Fenham to Chalfont

May 14, 2024 at 9:02 PM

This is from Twatter of Sandro Tonali talking in a Newcastle high school raising awareness about gambling addiction and his struggle (fair play to the lad and a well done getting the message out there as it’s a serious addiction gambling):

“Maybe there is someone among you who bets and doesn’t say it, because we often close in on ourselves. However, when you gamble and have a high salary, dealing with gambling is a risk around the corner and I was wrong. You don’t stop yourself, others stop you. And you can also compromise friendships, relationships and work. These are some of the biggest risks.

I was recently in a factory, I was able to reflect on those who work ten hours a day just to bring home a salary. I have understood many precious things. One above all: if a worker lost his job, his entire family would pay the consequences. Well, I consider myself lucky for this too, but I haven’t lost anything.”

Can’t wait to see him back on the turf me, I can’t see anything else other than a stellar season from him. He owes the club, us and himself that.

• Swablr

May 14, 2024 at 9:03 PM

Lesh, ah, good spot there, I didn’t notice that among the tsunami of letters that make up his moniker.
    I’m off now. I’m watching Richard lll and actually following the script ok. Of course I’m only waiting for the kingdom/horse line then watching Man City v Spurs.

• Fenham to Chalfont

May 14, 2024 at 9:08 PM

I think he has a good character does Sandro.

These things happen when a person has an addictive personality. Hopefully his addiction has now been brought under control and he can start enjoying his football career again and get on with his life. The club have clearly really looked after him with so many professional players in that squad the fans and especially Eddie looking out for him IMO will have his head right in the game and a huge point to prove the world of football. It can only be good for NUFC’s chances next season with that MF trio of Bruno, Joelinton and Tonali.

• Small World

May 14, 2024 at 9:13 PM

Excellent news. Man City 1-0 up.

We’ve now got to believe. 2 wins and Spurs going all Spursy losing tonight and against Sheffield United on Sunday 🙂

• AnyToon in Indiana

May 14, 2024 at 9:15 PM

I feel better that 5th doesn’t get CL this year because we had so many chances to be ahead of Spuds.

• Fat Basta*d

May 14, 2024 at 9:23 PM

“missus was absolutely furious after i beat her up and gave her a right shiner and split lip. I had a lot of making up and explaining to do the next day…”

There fixed it fat kunt

• AnyToon in Indiana

May 14, 2024 at 9:48 PM

Pedro…poor..oh ….you may have just cost me my head to head this week 🙂

• lochinvar

May 14, 2024 at 10:02 PM

Manu are going to pay Ashcroft’s legal fees for going to Arbitration.
    That’s obscene and indicative of the self entitlement that surveys Old Trafford. The claim will be that the dispute is Constraint of Trade.

Bollocjs

• lochinvar

May 14, 2024 at 10:04 PM

Ashcroft is legally bound by a contract which he signed and is valid.
    If he thinks otherwise then he can go to arbitration and pay his own fees. Funny that, he won’t. Because he’s in the wrong.

• Fat Basta*d

May 14, 2024 at 10:04 PM

Villa in champions league

• phy

May 14, 2024 at 10:12 PM

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. If Brighton win their next 2 games and we win tomorrow Man U drop to 9th

All ifs and buts I know but how amazing would that be lol

• lochinvar

May 14, 2024 at 10:12 PM

Fenham
    When the missus gave you verbals for being late you should have had a piece of chalk behind your ear. That way your defence is that you were down the Legion playing snooker. ( old gag)

• Fat Basta*d

May 14, 2024 at 10:20 PM

Gail coming to Shearers bar on Saturday. Treated like a celebrity 😀

• Davas

May 14, 2024 at 10:45 PM

Interesting to look back.

After week 31’s games we were trailing:
    Villa by 15
    Spurs by 13
    Man Utd by 7
    Chelsea by 2
    W-Ham by 1

It’s now
    Villa by 11 (game in hand)
    Spurs by 6 (game in hand)
    Lead Man Utd by 3
    Equal with Chelsea (better GD)
    Lead W-Ham by 5 (game in hand)

Not a bad run in so far 🙂

• Davas

May 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM

To add to the previous we’ve also gained 4 on Liverpool and have a game in hand

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 15, 2024 at 12:47 AM

U21s team for the game
    Newcastle United Under-21s: Aidan Harris, Ciaran Thompson, Cathal Heffernan (c), Lucas De Bolle, Dylan Charlton, Ellis Stanton, Jay Turner-Cooke, Alfie Harrison (Kyle Crossley 90), Dylan Stephenson, Amadou Diallo (Sean Neave 60), Ben Parkinson (James Huntley 90).

Subs not used: Jordan Hackett, Will Brown.

Really hope we keep Diallo he was brilliant.

• cyprus

May 15, 2024 at 4:53 AM

I missed the game last night, partly because I simply expected City to do the job, one way or the other. Judging from the stats, it seems they did “the other”.

Anyway, interesting quotes. The first one shows how Pep deifies his players, an admirable trait. The second shows Ange’s frustration and honesty, I like him. After that statement, however, I can see the Spurs directors firing him:

“On Ortega, he said: “He saves us – otherwise Arsenal are champions. That is the reality. The margins are so tight. Oh my God, the save from Son. It was incredible. One-on-one, Stefan is one of the best keepers I’ve seen in my entire life. It’s the German culture – stand up, don’t go down.”

Postecoglou dropped a bombshell when he said that “the last 48 hours have revealed to me that the foundations are fairly fragile”, adding: “It just means I’ve got to go back to the drawing board with some things.”

• Fenham to Chalfont

May 15, 2024 at 8:15 AM

Loch,

That “down the legion joke” may have worked in the 60s / 70s mate. 😉

• magicmac54

May 15, 2024 at 8:39 AM

Fenham

Good morning lad, it sounds like your celebratory partying went well beyond Shearers Bar on Saturday 😀 😀

Some of that oul Irish Blood running through you from your Mum has a lot to answer for mate 😀 😀

HWTL

• Fenham to Chalfont

May 15, 2024 at 8:51 AM

Morning Magic,

Aye I ended up going somewhere I absolutely didn’t intend on going. Let’s just say that I was a wee bit overly tipsy when I left shearers after the game and forgot myself… After the game It was just me, Mund, TDS and Peter. Caption that 😆

They all went to the D&P I went to that party in Ponteland. As I said my missus was mad at me but as I’m half Irish as you know, I eventually charmed her back onside. Glad you had a cracking time over here Magic and see you still had the pleasure of Jails hospitality into Sunday.

Look forward to the next blog meet already it was great banter.

HWTL!!

• Raj of Hailsley

May 15, 2024 at 9:02 AM

Mixed bag for me tonight, without sounding all IrishRob here we just haven’t been very good, emphatic results against the two worst clubs in the division masked how disjointed our performances have been, Fulham could have been more easily a Palace rather than a 0-1 win, West Ham was a freak result and Spurs were just blown away by the occasion, I’m not sure how people thought we were back to our swashbuckling best of last season and September through early December.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 15, 2024 at 9:03 AM

We’re going to have to really turn it on to win our last two.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 15, 2024 at 9:08 AM

It’s doable but certainly not a given, hopefully our recent results against Man U have given us a bit of an edge because OT is up there with the very worst of our hunting grounds over the years.

• Wor B

May 15, 2024 at 9:11 AM

I fear that I may be as miserable as Jail this morning 🙁

Just had a reminder that there’s only 30 days until EURO 2024 starts and I have no desire to source then find the best place to hang a wall chart!

Does this mean I’m now a grown up? 😳

• magicmac54

May 15, 2024 at 9:13 AM

Fenham

Good to see you finally got back on the right side of the 1st lady mate 😀 😀

On the weekend i can safely say it all went far and beyond my wildest dreams and expectations, everyone was in great spirits, if you pardon the pun 😀 😀

The mate and myself were with Mund TDS and sir Peter the Pug in the Dog and Parrot, and the craic was 90, all fantastic lads in every sense.

Already looking forward to the next Blog meetup mate.

HWTL

• magicmac54

May 15, 2024 at 9:22 AM

Raj Jail

Jeez Raj i`m already feeling very nervous and apprehensive about tonight, are you wearing Irish Robs brut aftershave this morning 😀 😀 😀

• Adamn_92

May 15, 2024 at 9:32 AM

Not nervous in the slightest for tonight.

Going to the pub, have a nice Guiness or 5 and watch us smash Man U in their own leaky backyard.

Can’t wait 🙂

• Adamn_92

May 15, 2024 at 9:32 AM

*Guinness

• Davas

May 15, 2024 at 9:35 AM

Hopefully, Fernandes and Rushford are still out and they have their minds on the cup final

• Wor B

May 15, 2024 at 9:47 AM

There you go, the confidence and enthusiasm of youth, I bet Adamn already has his EURO 2024 chart on the wall.
    🙂

• Transfer Sage

May 15, 2024 at 9:50 AM

This is from a Man Utd blog, hopefully settles a few nerves.

Let’s set the scene with the mood around Old Trafford before we get into the predictions themselves.

“I used to look forward to games.”

“Oh lord when does this misery end??”

“After the 25th of May, you will at least get a few months break from the misery. Then it starts again in August.”

“Last home game so would be nice if they make an effort and don’t lose”

—-> reply “Effort?! No chance.”

“Wonder what reception the squad and manager will get during the end-of-season lap of honour.”

—-> reply “I hope the ground empties as soon as the final whistle goes. These players and that manager don’t deserve any reception for this abysmal season.”

“Have a strange feeling we could win this if we can get a couple of players back”

—-> reply “Yeah, if we get prime Vidic and Keane back we might stand a chance.”

“ETH has no excuses with this game. Newcastle have as many injuries as we have and if we get outplayed again like the league cup he needs gone after the final.”

• Transfer Sage

May 15, 2024 at 9:51 AM

Now onto the predictions. Optimism doesn’t appear to be a word Man Utd fans are familiar with.

“I think we may actually score but I’m also sure we will lose.”

“This will be a Palace performance with Newcastle bagging 3-4 goals. Comfortable Newcastle win”

“Newcastle can lose this and still finish ahead of us by beating Brentford on the final day. Their GD is miles better. I think it’ll be a draw.”

“Had a feeling a couple of weeks ago that we were going to get pasted by somebody and I felt it would be Newcastle. It came against Palace, but I’d still not be surprised if these run up a scoreline. They’ll be physical, do a lot of running and have players in positions that will hurt us.”

“They will bully us. Be very physical game for us. So best resting a few players for cup final.”

“Another loss most likely. We couldn’t score an own goal.”

“Newcastle won’t be as conservative as Arsenal, and they will be up for this. End to end stuff. At least this will leave them open for United to score. Maybe. But the thought of Isak against that backline is enough to fill me with dread.”

“We will get outplayed. We get outplayed in virtually every game we play.”

But I did managed to find the one fan who was in better spirits.

“I feel like we will get battered but win 1-0. Not confident about a good performance.”

Now remember, Man Utd fans aren’t known for their self awareness, so I’m unsure if these are jokes or genuine points they are making. Either way, they gave me a laugh.

“Should use this game to decide the compensation for Ashworth. Every Newcastle goal = £1m.” — Note from TS, if Isak and Wilson are both fit, it may actually just be cheaper to give us the £20m.

“If they don’t get the spot supposedly they are gonna be a little forced to sell Guimares. Wish he wouldn’t be so expensive” — Note from TS, ah yes, it’s only cost that’s stopping them getting the better Bruno.

• Fat Basta*d

May 15, 2024 at 9:56 AM

Even magic uses the word ‘craic’. That Ledge with a Wedge is a right clown who loves bum crack

• Fat Basta*d

May 15, 2024 at 9:57 AM

Conte said something similar and got fired. All managers say same thing. Its history of Tottenham 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 15, 2024 at 10:08 AM

Amazing, the U21s actually won some silverware last night for the club and no one seems to have noticed it! 🙄

• Fat Basta*d

May 15, 2024 at 10:08 AM

• Harley

May 15, 2024 at 10:16 AM

Sounds like the blog meet up was a success.

I was going to come but had to leave straight after match so decided against it. I’m going to have to make it to one.

Thanks to Raj for arranging to meet me before hand.

Just waking up to stories of Bruno off to Arsenal. So that’s him and Isak off to Arsenal and Gordon off to Liverpool. We should sell Joelinton too while we’re at it.

The ridiculous thing is, the article I read said Arsenal will not pay his release clause so Newcastle would have to lower their price to about £70m!!!!!!

And they were saying it seriously!!!!!

• scott

May 15, 2024 at 10:17 AM

My prediction is Man U will want the fans on side so will press our back line hard,Eddie will go 3 at the back & ping balls over the top where it’s Gordon & Isak vCasemiro & Evans!
    Newcastle score first ,Man U crumble!
    You heard it here first,1-3 win with their goal a late consolation!

• Mickey G

May 15, 2024 at 10:23 AM

Raj/Jail, I agree with your reasons to be nervous but I must admit, I haven’t heard you be so negative are you still nursing that hangover?
    Seriously, every right to be nervous.
    We may not be back to our swashbuckling best but we do have something else, our confidence as returned. Add that to the fact that Man utd. have very little plus most the players don’t give a $h!+.
    I think we will have enough to see us through.
    It is without doubt our biggest game of the season and if we get an early goal , I think we will win comfortably.
    How’s that for unbridled confidence.?
    3-1 win