web analytics

Dr. Edward S Harrison (1944-2024)

My father, Edward Harrison passed away today, June 13th 2024 at 1:30PM EST, which equates to 6:30PM in his beloved Newcastle upon Tyne. He is survived by his wife Madeline, son Paul, myself and my wife, daughter Elaine, and older brother Rodney Harrison.

My father started The Newcastle United Blog in 2007 and kept it going, at times sparingly, until earlier this month. His final post announced Anthony Gordon winning the blog’s 17th annual Player of the Season award.

Dr. Ed’s passions in life spanned many areas but nothing could compare to his love of Newcastle United. As many Geordies before and after him, this club held a special place in his heart.

I would like to personally thank all of the readers of this blog who made this endeavor a special one for my father. He was one of a kind, and we will miss him.

With love,

Neil Harrison

6,760 comments so far

• JohnJ

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM

Hibbit

You beat me to it!

• Hibbit

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM

just wonder what peoples opinion would have been if Dumfries had broke Kanes ankle would that have been a red card and a pen,

• JohnJ

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM

Hibbit

Whoops – You beat me to it!

• the crown princes nashers

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:26 AM

bills

aye that be about right, tough as old boots them days, not like today breath on a player and your booked

with your kid being a pro, youd have to be on your metal all the time them days, they were all hard as nails, mind supermac always got the better of big sam didnt he

• Davas

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:26 AM

Regan #4368

Totally agree. I was trying to say that last night. It’s always given if it happens to a defender when he’s trying to clear it.

I don’t understand this, he got his shot away so it’s not a foul or there’s different rules in the penalty area.

• the crown princes nashers

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:27 AM

hibbit

would a been a god send hes been absolute shite hahaha

• Regan

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:27 AM

Two attacking teams going head to head on Sunday..
    Be like basketball..
    They attack..we attack..
    Whoever misses best..wins..

Should be a good game..

• Davas

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:28 AM

I didn’t think he was trying to block the shot. He was going for the ball and he was late with his studs up

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM

Pug Life!

Was there a game last night?

• Macas

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM

Hibbit
    If Kane had broken his ankle it would be just one of those things, an unfortunate collision, still not a foul in my eyes as it was Kane that made the contact.

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM

A few rules are stupid anyway and should be changed. Free kick should only be if a player is impeded from getting to the ball or affecting play. Kane got his shot away so no pen for me.

• the crown princes nashers

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM

our full backs need to be on red alert with that jamal for spain regan, I can see spain playing 3 at the back and stow the midfield but overall that jamal is one serious problem

• Regan

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM

Davas..
    People have different opinions on it so we’ll still be debating it till kick off in the final mate..

• Saratoga

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:32 AM

As far as Amanda goes.
    Is it a good thing or bad.

Good. Cos it means PIF are going to put in big money and Amanda and PCP can’t match it.

Bad. PIF are consolidating the ownership prior to selling up. As they have had enough of the Premier League rules and restrictions.

Which is it. As just a supporter I can’t know.
    I can only judge the facts that I can see.
    Hopefully the appointment of a new Sporting Director is a good sign. Presumably he has been told the plan and is happy to be part of it.

As the summer goes on I think we will know better as a result of signings etc. Perhaps we will hear something re the stadium.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:36 AM

lesh

Is there not a day goes by where you don’t goad and stalk people from here to feed your strange fixation?

You say that my tribute post to Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad was C&P from somewhere is disrespectful. Why don’t you just grow up and stop being such a weird old twisted man. Go and seek therapy and fix yourself as you need it. 100% you need help!!

• Adamn_92

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:38 AM

Pressure will be on Howe this season.

No European football so can attack the league and local cup comeptitions full on. Tonali back, fit squad with some new additions.

No Amanda and Mehrdad potentially to fight his corner.

PIF may be more hands on and if we don’t finish as high up as they like, they may start getting more ruthless. Especially if we spend big this summer.

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:38 AM

Some people should follow their own advice
    YCMIU

#practicewhatyoupreach

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM

Dont forget Nico Williams

• Regan

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM

Princes nashers..
    Germanys game plan was to kick lumps out of him.. that didn’t work..on him anyway..
    I hope we don’t resort to those tactics and go out and win playing their best players..

• Fenham to Chalfont

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM

I think Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad will come out and make a joint statement very soon as to why they have left their position with our football club.

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM

Morata could be injured.

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:41 AM

I agree it could be risk of going bankrupt that is making them sell up

• Fat Basta*d

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:41 AM

Although I thought she didnt have to pay full amount to greek guy just some of the money

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:46 AM

Detailed read here by Jim Robertson at The Mag about Amanda’s shareholding.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:46 AM

Why the hell would PIF be more ruthless with Howe because Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad have left their positions?

Was it not Yasir Al-Rumayyan that was the one that wanted Howe from the outset? Was it not him that was blown away by how Eddie presented himself during the interview stage? I think one of Eddie Howes biggest supporters within NUFC is our chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan. Yasir is a very shrewd guy and knows what Eddie has done for us. I expect Eddie to ensure we have a stellar season anyway 🙂

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM

JohnJ was first, my offering is just a repeat. Slow off the mark again !

• Saratoga

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:55 AM

I have no idea what the financial situation is for AS and PCP.
    However, it does seem that Amanda has been fighting battles for years.
    The take over, Barclays and the Greek fella.
    That can be very stressful especially when it is year after year.

I hope Amanda gets out with a sizeable sum. Pays off whatever needs paying and then perhaps just enjoy life.

Retire.
    Although AS is from a business bankground and has always been in business.
    Not sure they ever fully retire.

• lochinvar

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:56 AM

Adamn_92
    One things for sure and that is we have to achieve top 4 or better and maybe a Cup win next season.

That’s now the target and the launch pad to greater success and expansion of SJP and the clubs international standing for the following years.

Yes we have Tonali back and Kelly in but at least 2 or 3 significant signings are needed to take results to a consistently higher level. Equally important is to ensure that the team but in particular Bruno, Isak, BigJoe, Gordon are reassured that they are part of a winning club. Without that the season after next becomes more problematic.

• Hibbit

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:04 AM

Saratoga
    some are claiming that Amanda’s 6% holding is being sold to PIF for £40m if that is the case that means the club is now valued at £660m, Saudi’s wont be selling any time soon on those numbers.

• onmeedsun

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:11 AM

Not a pen in my view, although very happy to get it. Both players had their feet up. And I honestly think the bar is set a bit higher for a foul in the box.
    The game was slipping by until subs came on. Too late in my view but better late than never. Southgate is definitely being over sensitive when it comes to taking Kane and Bellingham off.
    Have always rated Watkins. Better player than Wilson.

On Staveley. The mgt team is top heavy. Shareholders don’t normally run the company unless they are the Chairman or CEO. We have a CEO in place who now knows the job. All key directors in place. We have a chairman. They’ve done their job. We will forever be in their debt. She has Huntingdons and perhaps symptoms are appearing. Terrible disease. We can only wish them luck and hope to see them at SJP soon.

• Saratoga

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM

Hibbit
    Yes, they bought the club for not a lot when you consider the price paid for Chelsea.
    They could spend a billion on a new ground and training facilities and still have only spent a third of what it cost Todd whats his name and his associates.

My concern would be the restrictions. Planning, PSRs and APTs.
    Have they had enough of it.

Having said that it’s the same for all the other investors and the Prem is the place they all want to be.

Who would know. Like I say I can only judge on what I see.
    Think it will be a very interesting couple of months.

• Davas

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:17 AM

As Raj said maybe it was karma for Koeman. If he’d been sent off that time maybe England would have qualified for the world cup?, Taylor would have stayed as manager, the world would have been a different place and the penalty incident might never have happened 🙂 😀

• Mund

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:19 AM

Not all refs or ex officials are saying it wasn’t a pen…

• Adamn_92

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:25 AM

Fenham

Because Yasir has already claimed he wants us to be ‘number 1’.

Which is why I said if we don’t finish high up the table this season, with no European football distraction and likely some new signings coming in, then yes, I think they could be ruthless.

As much as I love Howe and want him to be here for many seasons, PIF want success. So if we don’t deliver what they deem to be success this season, they could be ruthless and replace him. Not exactly an outlandish thing to consider.

I believe we’ll have a great season anyway, but just saying if we don’t get at least top 4, I wouldn’t be surprised if PIF pull the trigger as they know we need regular Champions League to become ‘number 1’.

• Saratoga

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:26 AM

The Ref that mattered said it was a pen.
    After watching it in slow motion.
    Very nice man. I like him a lot.

I liked that Russian linesman in the 66 final as well.
    Called it spot on. It was over the line.

• Adamn_92

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:26 AM

lochinvar

Yeah to keep our current stars I think we need to prove to them they can expect regular Champions League, as it’s not like they won’t get interest from clubs who are doing that regularly.

Big season ahead for us!

• Adamn_92

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:27 AM

Saratoga

We all know refs don’t change their mind when told to look at the monitor, they just do as VAR says.

The ref that matters actually said no pen.

Then VAR said pen.

We all know once VAR say that, it’s never changing.

• Fenham to Chalfont

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:35 AM

Adamn I get that but what you also said was because Amanda and Mehrdad have left it will expose Eddie Howe a bit more as if they were his shield in some kind of way…

Like I said Yasir Al-Rumayyan is Eddie’s biggest fan within our club and he (allegedly) was the one that chose Eddie Howe on the way Eddie conducted himself via the interview process. Yasir must be very satisfied as to how Eddie has gone about his business since taking over as manager. Yasir must have a great sense of pride for his choice of manager.

Saying all that I have absolutely no doubt about it that NUFC will have a very successful season this season – I for one is confident it will be a stellar one. It’s all aligned for that to take place imv.

• JohnJ

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:36 AM

lochinvar
    Jul 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM
    JohnJ was first, my offering is just a repeat. Slow off the mark again !

Hibbit got the first post in – Credit where Credit’s due!

• Saratoga

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:37 AM

Will share this with you all for no particular reason.
    I was at junoir school in about 70/71.
    It was an all boys school in those days.
    The teachers said we would be rewarded for good behaviour with a film show.
    Kept us in check for months.

Then they said what do you want to watch. At school that is with a projector.
    Think we were offered Paint Your Wagon or Where Eagles Dare.

What did we go for. We opted 100% for a re run of the 1966 World Cup Final.

We had all been a bit young to take it in 4 years earlier. This was a chance to see it in colour. In 66 not everyone had a telly.

So, we all sat tightly packed in one classroom. Drew the curtains and set the projector going. Watched the full game as if for the first time. Cheered every high even though we knew what was coming.

England !!